WBI’s Return to the Fort!

It was wonderful meeting you and and the camping princess as well! I hope we weren't too much of a shock! ;D

Seriously, it was a pleasure. Ya'll are genuinely two of the nicest people I've ever met. (and the cute-o-meter was pegged out too) LOL. Hopefully we'll see you again sometime.

Now... I am ready for more WBI reporting...

No weren't in too much shock at all! lol

It was great meeting ya'll too! All the Fiends we've met are truly some great people!

So, you took this picture while riding your bike? I'd be dead. I can't walk and take a picture. :rofl2:

DSC06700.jpg

Ready for more!!

Yes I did!

It's funny you say that too because CP can barely take one hand off the bike while riding, I was poking fun at her the whole weekend.

I'm pretty good on a bike, I went through a biking phase one year, even did a week long ride accross Iowa once.

Well done, WBI!

Nice work heading to the old Marshmallow Marsh campfire area for those photos across the lake.

And, I agree, you did take enough deer photos.

Do you know that bikes are not allowed on the pedestrian trail that CP is on?

Rule breakers!

I am sorry you did not get to meet Fiesty. She's from Lousiana, you know. I'm sure y'all would hit it off.

So, you left us with you being near Pioneer Hall and the suggestion that you like to climb things.

I have no idea where this might be going. ;)

TCD

Thanks! We're big fans of the Marshmallow Marsh area!

I didn't know that about the bikes, but now that i think about it, isn't there a sign next to the Trading Post? Or there used to be.

It sounds like you caught my hints. ;)

Good job on the picture while bike riding!

Taking even one hand off the handlebars is suicide for me, and so is sand, and pavement, and trees, and pedestrians....I'm just not real coordinated while bike riding.

I'm anxious to hear more about your climbing skills! Just don't call them shimmying skills, I've heard that's Dave's specialty. :)

Thanks, like I said I've spent some time on a bike, (why does that sound weird) lol.

Ok on with the report!

WBI

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok when I left off we were at the Settlement.

I’ve heard stories of a couple Fiends shimmying up to the top of Pioneer Hall so I knew I had to try.

Sorry to say but,

I carried the camera with me so I have no pictures of me climbing but here’s the end result:

DSC06717.jpg

Yup I was looking down on the Pioneer Hall sign.

And here’s another good one:

DSC06718.jpg

About this time a family walking towards the boats saw me!

So I had to get out of there quick!

I slipped out a different way, here’s what I saw:

DSC06722.jpg

DSC06721.jpg

DSC06720.jpg

DSC06719.jpg

DSC06716.jpg

DSC06715.jpg

DSC06714.jpg

DSC06713.jpg

DSC06712.jpg

DSC06711.jpg

DSC06710.jpg

DSC06709.jpg

DSC06708.jpg

DSC06707.jpg

By the time I slipped out, it was time for Trails End take-out area to open so we grabbed some coffee and hot chocolate.

DSC06705.jpg

Back out front Lisa complimented me on my climbing abilities, and we noticed the times weren’t listed for the Hoop-de-doo.

DSC06723.jpg

Then we headed over to the TCD Farm

DSC06724.jpg

DSC06725.jpg

DSC06726.jpg

And walked over to the Pavilion:

DSC06727.jpg

DSC06728.jpg

We liked this sign:

DSC06731.jpg

Especially this guy:

DSC06733.jpg

DSC06732.jpg

Then we headed over to River Country:

DSC06735.jpg

There wasn’t much to see here, but I did notice these wires coming out of a door, I wonder what that’s about? Is someone being held captive there?

DSC06736.jpg

In Indian Jones and The Last Crusade that’s how he knew what room they were keeping his dad in. Is anyone missing? IS this where they keep Melvin? DaveInTN you might need to check this out.

I have no clue, we didn’t check, sorry, it was locked.

Moving on, I think there is a Fiend that really likes this tree and sign:

DSC06739.jpg

DSC06738.jpg

Up next I show CP the old River Country:

WBI

I can see a Fort Fiend Pole Shimmying contest in the works. In the little town up north where I'm from they would have a greased pole shimmying contest at the county fair. Good times!

Love all the Pioneer Hall photos, and of course the weather vane and crepe moytels.

You've got me curious about the wires....maybe someone's cousin could check into that. I've heard even locked doors can't keep that guy out. ;)

Did CP ever get to see River Country in it's day?

Ok, I'm not too late to the party!

I've been wracking my brain over your little tease. You say you found something we all thought was gone for good? Well I think I've figured it out! You found a $40 campsite!

So seriously, those are some awesome shimmying skills. Nice work. But I'm not too sure about your hypothesis that Melvin may be locked in that old RC building. I did free him, after all. And he living happily under an assumed identity. I even think he may post to FF.net from time to time....

Awesome shimmying climbing skills there! Looks like Dave has some competition! Not that we need to have an actual competition.

I love the photos of Pioneer Hall!! And adorable photo of CP at the Farm with her coffee! Great job!

Kim, maybe we DO need a competition!!!

Awesome shimmying climbing skills there! Looks like Dave has some competition! Not that we need to have an actual competition.

I love the photos of Pioneer Hall!! And adorable photo of CP at the Farm with her coffee! Great job!

Thanks! The climb wasn't so bad, it was the trying not to be seen part that was tuff!

Oh great.

Just what we need around here.

Another guy who likes to shimmy up poles.

For the record, Dave likes to shimmy up Poles (with a capital "P").

Good job on the Pioneer Hall shots!

And the River Country shots!

Can't wait to see the rest.

TCD

Thanks TCD!

I really like the Pioneer Hall! I like how its pretty much all original, even on the inside I think its real wood logs not the fake ones!

And I do like to climb (not so much shimmy).

I can see a Fort Fiend Pole Shimmying contest in the works. In the little town up north where I'm from they would have a greased pole shimmying contest at the county fair. Good times!

Love all the Pioneer Hall photos, and of course the weather vane and crepe moytels.

You've got me curious about the wires....maybe someone's cousin could check into that. I've heard even locked doors can't keep that guy out. ;)

Did CP ever get to see River Country in it's day?

Thanks Stef!

I think I've seen a greased pole competition in a movie before? Where I'm from they used to have catch the greased pig contest, lol now that was funny!

No CP never saw River Country in its day, but neither did I that I can remember. We really missed out.

Ok, I'm not too late to the party!

I've been wracking my brain over your little tease. You say you found something we all thought was gone for good? Well I think I've figured it out! You found a $40 campsite!

So seriously, those are some awesome shimmying skills. Nice work. But I'm not too sure about your hypothesis that Melvin may be locked in that old RC building. I did free him, after all. And he living happily under an assumed identity. I even think he may post to FF.net from time to time....

$40 campsite, haha now thats a good one!

My find happend on Sunday morning so I'm getting closer to it.

Sorry about that, I must be slipping I forgot about you freeing Melvin and taking him on Space Mountain. That room must be for something else, maybe where they hold people they catch in the old River County or trying to swim to Treasure Island??

Great pictures! I haven't shimmied in years I may have to brush up my dance moves....oh wait you mean climbing. Carry on! :rofl2:

Haha, that's what comes to my mind when I hear shimmy too!

Thanks!

w00t for a WBI TR!

Thanks for following along!

great tr so far! i could actually feel the excitement at check in! can't wait for more....

Thank you!

Of course I'm not reading this Nick.

Thanks for letting me know Lou.

Plus a warning I'm getting close to the post where I meet you, don't worry I'll try not to make you sound too friendly.

Great trip report.

The photos really tell a story.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks! And thanks for reading.

WBI

When I left off we had already seen a lot on Saturday morning but now it’s time to show CP the remains of River Country:

DSC06741.jpg

DSC06742.jpg

DSC06743.jpg

How sad..

DSC06744.jpg

DSC06745.jpg

DSC06746.jpg

DSC06747.jpg

DSC06748.jpg

DSC06749.jpg

DSC06751.jpg

DSC06752.jpg

DSC06753.jpg

DSC06754.jpg

DSC06755.jpg

DSC06756.jpg

We stopped and topped off our drinks before heading back to the site.

DSC06757.jpg

DSC06758.jpg

We got back to the site and made breakfast sandwiches using some sausage from Louisiana with eggs. Then we got cleaned up and decided to head to Magic Kingdom.

On the way we cut through the Meadow:

DSC06759.jpg

Look how low the canal is:

DSC06760.jpg

That’s when I saw this:

DSC06761.jpg

Did they get rid of all the bushes here around Bob’s dock?

They did! Why would they do that?

You can see the new sod around there.

DSC06762.jpg

Here’s the Fort merchandise, we got a few things.

DSC06763.jpg

And the $50 blanket!

DSC06764.jpg

Then we headed up to the Marina:

DSC06765.jpg

We saw this little guy on the way don’t look if you’re easily distracted:

DSC06766.jpg

Then I saw these fancy golf cart seats: Is that Alligator skin?

DSC06767.jpg

Oh and it’s for sale, but too much for me:

DSC06768.jpg

Ok this is a good stopping point; up next we hop the boat to Magic Kingdom:

WBI

I agree with doodle...SAD!

It still amazes me that they closed RC and chose to just let everything rot for 11 years. What was once a perfectly good pool (that could have been refurbed and given to the Fort) is now a rotting mess fit for a bulldozer. Makes no sense to me. How can WDW be so into the environment and recycling, but that eyesore just rots away. Bummer.

WBI, I'm sorry you and CP missed out on RC. It was such a family fun, old fashioned, kind of place.

I think they took out the bushes so they could keep a watch on the dock. I've heard some shady characters hang out there sometimes. :))

I love the path to the Settlement!!

It is sad about River Country. I get why some parts had to be shut down - lake water and all - but not why it was left to rot. Seems like will make it that much to remove later on. Pieces that could have been used somewhere else.

SQUIRREL!!!

Oh, what? Yes, there's my train of thought. Thank you for the photos. Loving the trip report.

Enjoying the TR! Can't wait to hear more.

Thanks I'm about to post another update!

The person who owns that cart is a friend of ours. No that isn't real Alligator !!!!

Wow Fiends know everybody!

Really its not real? It's some good fake stuff then. By the way I wasn't knockign it I thought it look pretty dang good!

What were you saying? It breaks my heart every time I see pictures of what River Country has become.

Sorry didn't mean to throw you off too much.

I agree its sad they just left it.

I agree with doodle...SAD! It still amazes me that they closed RC and chose to just let everything rot for 11 years. What was once a perfectly good pool (that could have been refurbed and given to the Fort) is now a rotting mess fit for a bulldozer. Makes no sense to me. How can WDW be so into the environment and recycling, but that eyesore just rots away. Bummer.

WBI, I'm sorry you and CP missed out on RC. It was such a family fun, old fashioned, kind of place.

I'm sorry we missed it too, I know we would of loved it. And I grew up swiming in rivers, ponds, and lakes so I would have had no problem with the water.

Great Report so far... Luv the pics! It really is sad to see how they let river country turn into a run down eyesore. Lets hope they do not make that mistake again!

I agree hopefully they don't do that to anything else!

Thanks for reading!

It is sad about River Country. I get why some parts had to be shut down - lake water and all - but not why it was left to rot. Seems like will make it that much to remove later on. Pieces that could have been used somewhere else. SQUIRREL!!! Oh, what? Yes, there's my train of thought. Thank you for the photos. Loving the trip report.

I know it doesn't make much sense.

Thanks for following along!

So what kind of sausage from LA did you use?? I'm guessing it was some kind of breakfast sausage...but you reminded me how much I enjoy some good boudin! Sha!!

It actually wasn't breakfast sausage, it was regular smoked pork sausage I brought home from Louisiana. There's a few local places where I grew up that I buy from. We don't usually eat that sausage for breakfast but its so good it goes great with eggs so it works out good for camping because you can eat it at any meal!

Ahh boudin! I import that in from Louisiana too. I'm actually going to Louisiana on Friday for a quick family visit, so I'll be restocking on this trip. PLUS we're going to eat boiled crawfish Friday night! I can't wait!

WBI