• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool!!!!

I thought so too!

Definitely worth the wait. :)

I hope so, thanks!

Another piece of the old Fort left to rot. -_-

Nice find though. The last time I went back there, I crashed my bike in the sand and then got eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Yup, just rotting away, sure wishey they would of kept this one too.

Great find!!

Thanks!

Nice Find! :clint:

Glad you made it out alive :whew:

Haha thanks!

WBI-

Great job!

I have looked for parts of the old boardwalk myself, and was not able to find anything.

So, you beat old TCD!

Here's a photo of the boardwalk from 2004- it was already closed by then:

IMG_1979_0308.jpg

Thanks TCD!

That's a nice picture too, from what I've seen they left the trail in this state for a few years before they finally took it down.

Well that's awesome WBI!!! :bravo: Great find!

I wish it was still open. But I won't dwell on the past.

Thanks! and I agree!

That is cool, WBI!

Thanks!

WBI

Now that I found part of the old Swamp trail boardwalk I started looking around some more:

Heading towards the lake there was a nice opening on a higher ground.

DSC06920.jpg

I could see the lake and Fort Marina looking through the trees:

DSC06922.jpg

DSC06923.jpg

I could hear people talking pretty close by; it was a fishing group out on the lake so I backed away before I was spotted.

Here’s another big open area:

DSC06924.jpg

DSC06926.jpg

Then I started heading back.

I spotted this PVC pipe along the way.

DSC06927.jpg

Normally I’d say it’s a monitoring well, but this wasn’t? It was painted camo for some reason??

Then I almost walked right by this. Any deer hunters out there:

DSC06929.jpg

It was an old rub. You know where a buck rubs the felt off his antlers.

Here’s the main trail on the way out.

DSC06930.jpg

But wait; off to the side I noticed something.

DSC06933.jpg

hmmm

DSC06931.jpg

It’s a memorial plaque screwed to a cypress tree?? It was pointed so you only saw it on the way out not on the way in. My condolences to the Dram family, he was young only two years older than me.

ving on…..

DSC06935.jpg

This shows the front side of the cypress tree with the plaque on it.DSC06936.jpg

Back by the cabin I took some lake shots:

DSC06937.jpg

DSC06938.jpg

Then I road down the canal, probably where you’re not supposed to be on a bike but oh well it was early, I road all the way along the canal to the dog park area, that was cool I never did it before.

Here’s some pics along the way:

DSC06940.jpg

DSC06941.jpg

Then I headed back to the site.

But when I got there, CP wasn’t back yet. So ran out for another quick discovery trek.

I won’t tell you much about this one but here’s what I found:

DSC06942.jpg

DSC06943.jpg

DSC06944.jpg

Oh yeah score!

Just so you don’t think I’m greedy, I have no intention of keeping all those spikes.

When Lou stopped by before he mentioned that TCD probably didn’t have enough to spike everyone, so when I stumbled upon these guys I figured I’d donate them to the Fiend Spike pile.

So I texted Lou asking if he could meet up.

But I guess Lou’s rotary phone doesn’t get text so no response.

Don’t worry though as much as we go to DW I’ll get the spikes to Lou or TCD to be handed out!

Now back at the site CP and I compared stories of our early morning, she ran some ridiculous amount while I was out exploring.

Then we made some breakfast.

We diced some smoked sausage and missed it with scrambled eggs; I chose to make mine into a sandwich:

DSC06945.jpg

Here’s a pic of a wedding favor from our wedding being put to good use:

DSC06946.jpg

And my lamppost with mardi gras beads:

DSC06947.jpg

Our site number, it was an inside site but really nice:

DSC06948.jpg

I think this is a good stopping point.

WBI

From SunSentinal.com

Derek Nicholas Dram

| Visit Guest Book

14009640_154504.jpgDram, Derek Nicholas, 31, of Fort Lauderdale, Fl., passed away on Wednesday, July 6, 2011. He was born in Atlanta, GA.. Son of Karen Dram and the late Thom Dram. He was the beloved husband of Christa, loving father of Maddix, dear brother of Drew and grandson of Ruth Wilbur. He is also survived by loving aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews and close friends. Please remember Derek as funny, happy, and a bright spirited person. A loving and caring person who loved life and his family. He was a talented musician and an inspiration to all that knew him. May his memory live on and his smile last forever. The family will receive friends and family on July 11, 2011 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Baird-Case JordanFannin Funeral Home & Cremation Service, 4343 North federal Highway, Ft. Lauderdale, FL . A service will be conducted at 7 p.m. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you consider donations to Maddix Dram.

Published in Sun-Sentinel on July 9, 2011

How weird is that? No ties to Disney that were mentioned. Did he just like the Fort and his family placed that there? Very interesting find WBI!

I can't believe you know what a deer rub is?! You are entirely too cute to be such a redneck. ;)

Wow, WBI!

You found some spikes!

And you are going to donate them to the Fiend supply?

You rock!

Good job S70 on finding the info on Derek Dram-you are right, there is no obvious connection with the Fort.

There must be a story there, though.

Oh yes, WBI, about the Swamp Trail boardwalk, as near as I can tell, it was removed somewhere around 2007.

The similar boardwalk at River Country survived a couple of years longer than that, and was only removed early in 2010.

TCD

. How weird is that? No ties to Disney that were mentioned. Did he just like the Fort and his family placed that there?

Very interesting find WBI!

I can't believe you know what a deer rub is?! You are entirely too cute to be such a redneck. ;)

Good googleling Stefa!

Doesn't it look like his picture could be infront of Bay Lake? hmmm

Thanks!

You're making me blush, but of course I know what a deer rub is! I grew up deer hunting!

I didn't always live in Naples, I grew up in Reeves, LA, I'll let you google/wiki it but I'll just say there ain't much there except, hunting, fishing, cows and farming. lol

Wow, WBI!

You found some spikes!

And you are going to donate them to the Fiend supply?

You rock!

Good job S70 on finding the info on Derek Dram-you are right, there is no obvious connection with the Fort.

There must be a story there, though.

Oh yes, WBI, about the Swamp Trail boardwalk, as near as I can tell, it was removed somewhere around 2007.

The similar boardwalk at River Country survived a couple of years longer than that, and was only removed early in 2010.

TCD

Thanks TCD!

Now I just need to arrange a way to get the spikes to you or Lou.

Yup I remember seeing the Swamp Trail boardwalk back in 2007 but it was pretty rough then.

I also remember them removing the other one, both from your trip reports and seeing it first hand but I never walked on that one.

WBI

After breakfast we got cleaned up and headed out to get some ice and look around.

We saw these turkeys right outside the Fort:

DSC06949.jpg

DSC06950.jpg

DSC06951.jpg

We were curious if we could get into Property Control.

I always thought you couldn’t but I’ve heard of people going that I don’t’ think are castmembers.

Well we made it over there and even walked inside the fence but they were closed, we’ll have to try again another day.

DSC06952.jpg

Looking through the window though I could see a monorail set, CP really wants one but she doesn’t want to pay the retail price.

Anyone know how much one in there goes for with some minor problems? Lol

Returning to the Fort we saw the horse ride crossing.

Check out that big rig waiting, that’s big tow vehicle:

DSC06954.jpg

DSC06955.jpg

Back at Fort we hopped on our bikes and headed to the Lodge.

DSC06956.jpg

DSC06957.jpg

We really like the lodge!

We grabbed a soda while there.

I took this picture to let ya’ll know I was getting free soda in an old cup. Lol

DSC06958.jpg

We looked around awhile:

DSC06959.jpg

DSC06961.jpg

Then headed back to the Fort where we did some looping on our bikes.

Does anybody know what they put in this rig? I’ve never seen one with a garage style door on it. The door was on both sides.

DSC06962.jpg

DSC06963.jpg

By the way their 5th wheel was a toy hauler so not sure what they would use it for.

Back at our site we grilled some burgers.

DSC06964.jpg

We rode bikes up to the Outpost to get a times guide.

I went off roading on the way:

DSC06965.jpg

DSC06966.jpg

DSC06967.jpg

Then we tried to nap to rest up for a night at Epcot.

But you know what?

It was too hot!

In February, lol

We might have slept 30 min before we gave up and got cleaned up.

Coming up next Epcot!

WBI

How about another update?

Here you go:

Continuing on:

Then we hopped a bus to Epcot!

The plan was to snack and have a few drinks around the world showcase.

DSC06969.jpg

They were getting ready for the Flower and Garden Festival:

DSC06970.jpg

DSC06971.jpg

Our first stop was the UK.

We love the Rose & Crown Pub.

We got some drinks and a table, then ordered a fish and chips.

We shared it while listening to the other Hat Lady.

It was great!

I don’t remember all the details after that; I know we listened to music in England.

DSC06973.jpg

DSC06974.jpg

In Germany we did some wine tasting:

DSC06976.jpg

In Mexico we split nachos and a margarita:

DSC06978.jpg

Then we headed to Canada, CP loves the moose stuff:

DSC06980.jpg

We watched Off Kilter:

DSC06981.jpg

I got some coffee alcohol drink. (I don’t recommend it, too pricey and you have a tiny girly glass haha)

DSC06983.jpg

DSC06985.jpg

Then we made our way towards the exit, we decided since we were camping we wanted to enjoy the Fort so we left.

DSC06988.jpg

Back at the Fort, we rode up to the marina and were able to catch the EWP (again she made me watch it this time, sorry three times in one trip is too much lol) and we saw Wishes again.

This time though the marina area was crowded so we walked up the lake towards the old cabin.

When we got to the open viewing spot, we saw another young couple there in the dark waiting for Wishes so we gave them some room and we stood there in the dark and watched the fireworks.

I have to say the viewing from there is great, we could kind of hear the music but if it were a little louder it would be perfect.

After that we headed back to the site and started a fire so CP could make smores. I grabbed a beer and I have to admit I passed out in a chair by the fire. Lol

What a great day and night!

Coming up next our last day but don’t worry it’s another early start and we go back to Magic Kingdom!

WBI

CP looks very happy with her wine, but how come I can't see the pictures of you and your girly glass of coffee? Did you drink it with your pinky up? :rofl2:

BTW, I don't normally google strangers obits, I was just curious who this person was and what, if any, affiliation he had with the fort. When I didn't see anything, I thought if I posted it, maybe somebody else would know. Kind of morbid for your TR. :heartsmiley: Sorry bout that.

The Freightliner with the large with the roll up doors on both side I belive is meant to carry motorcycles, I think that model can hold 2 full dressed bikes there, I've been looking to get a Freightliner and saw that model a few years back, you might be able to fit a golf cart there also.

Sorry Nick, but even if you get into the "Cast Connection and Property Control", you'll have to show a CM ID Card at checkout in order to buy anything. And sometimes they'll have someone outside checking for IDs to keep out non CMs.

If you know any CMs, they can take you over as their guest. Know any?

TCD showed a great spot to watch wishes with sound. It is over by the old volley ball court. Speakers right there and great view. I love the ewp and wishes with a blue cigar from the trading post and my friend capt, he comes with a coke. Lol. I am so bringing some lopping sheers and a hammer to find a spike. Awesome report. ,y countdown feels longer than a couple days reading this. Great job bud