Are the Mosquitoes Biting at the Fort right now?

When do the yellow flies arrive? We are not familiar with them. Do they bite? Does bug spray work?

Thanks.

Echo11

Yellow flies are around from March until November. Yes, they bite! No, bug spray doesn't really work, though it helps some.

We are at the fort every year for Memorial day. 2 years ago they were HORRIBLE!! You could hardly leave your rv without getting bit, Last year the fort had a lot of sticky traps set up and that helped. We only saw 1 in the 6 days we were there.

Nasty little buggers!! <_<

Yellow flies are around from March until November. Yes, they bite! No, bug spray doesn't really work, though it helps some.

We are at the fort every year for Memorial day. 2 years ago they were HORRIBLE!! You could hardly leave your rv without getting bit, Last year the fort had a lot of sticky traps set up and that helped. We only saw 1 in the 6 days we were there.

Yes, the yellow flies were bad in 2010. Not as bad in 2011. We camp at the Fort in May and/or June every year, and I don't remember even seeing them in prior years.

What kind of insects we get in Florida each spring and summer depends on the weather. In 2010 and 2011 we had colder than normal Winters and more than normal rainfall in the Winter and Spring. These conditions apparently were favorable to the yellow flies. This year, we have had a very warm Winter, and lower than normal rainfall in the Winter and Spring. I am going to guess that the yellow flies will not be bad this year.

TCD

We are bug magnets. Seriously. Stand near us and you won't get bit.

What is the best thing for their bites? Will they be just painful or itch and burn like the devil?

Get a couple of benadryl sticks to bring along. Rub those on the bites, and it will take away the sting. That would take care of it for us. But, there are some folks who end up with welts from yellow fly bites.

TCD

We were at the Fort at that time too. You're right....the yellow flies were terrible.

I was at Lake Louisa the first week of March and the mosquitoes were not bad, but were there and I of course, got bit. The yellow flies love me, therefore, I don't go to the fort anywhere near Memorial Day weekend. Two years ago was enough for me.

But, there are some folks who end up with welts from yellow fly bites.

TCD

Absolutely, they affect everyone differently. I get bit, I say "ouch, damn *%&*# bug!" and it leaves a red bite mark. Trevor gets bit and whatever has been bitten will swell up to at least double the size for 2 days. (for those of you who know how my brain works....I tried to talk him into an experiment, and he wouldn't go for it ;) )

I agree, having some benadryl handy would be a good idea. You don't want to have to spend $29.99 at the Trading Post for some if you need it. :)

Don't sweat it, 20 annual trips in May and 2010 was the only year that it was bad.

OOooo, I've been low carbing all month. Only 9 pounds to show for it, but if it will keep bugs away, I'll stay on it.

LOL, I don't really freak out about most bugs. But they do love my family and getting bit is a way of life. Chiggers, mosquitoes, ticks, fleas (sand and other), anything that itches, finds us.

Thanks for stick help. I bet those will travel better than the spray or cream.