Cool Fort Wilderness Documents from 1973

A little lot before your time.

Thanks Lou, but not really. :(

Remember I was born in 1970 to young parents, so music was huge in my house. Not one of these "big names" ended up in our collection of vinyl.

Maybe they were geared to an older crowd? Did you have their albums? 8 tracks maybe? :))

When I bought my 1st camper(Terry 5th wheel) Fleetwood was offering a deal to tow campers from New York to the Fort that Disney would be setting up as rentals, in exchange you were given a free stay when you got there with park addmission, never took advantage of it but sure wished I had.

Maybe they were geared to an older crowd? Did you have their albums? 8 tracks maybe? :))

Geared for an older crowd, good one Stef.

Those big names should have been described as "has been big names" or almost big names.

No, I didn't have their 8 tracks because they were almost big names long before 8 track.

Geared for an older crowd, good one Stef.

Those big names should have been described as "has been big names" or almost big names.

No, I didn't have their 8 tracks because they were almost big names long before 8 track.

Lou would still have them on 78's or reel to reel.

Note the Stolport.

That was an operating air strip where commercial flights used to serve WDW.

I think this is all pretty amazing.

Here is some information about the STOLport and the EPCOT Ultralight Flightpark. I've always wondered why there was an aiport marked on the charts near Epcot, now I know why. Of course it is actually under the Art of Animation resort now, so I don't know why they still mark it! :)

It might be a Disney urban legend, but I heard that pilots who declared "emergencies" in order to land on the Disney landing strip had to have their planes disassembled and trucked away.

Jim Hill reported that Mickey Mouse One landed on a closed down World Drive instead of the landing strip when it arrived to be used at Hollywood Studios. What a sight that must have been!

Jim Hill reported that Mickey Mouse One landed on a closed down World Drive instead of the landing strip when it arrived to be used at Hollywood Studios.

I wonder if they did that because maybe they didn't have to disassemble it because it was so close to the Studios and could just tow it there in tact. Where they probably would have to take the wings off to bring it to the studios if it landed at the strip.

I wonder if they did that because maybe they didn't have to disassemble it because it was so close to the Studios and could just tow it there in tact. Where they probably would have to take the wings off to bring it to the studios if it landed at the strip.

Plus, by then wasn't the strip used for all kinds of storage and construction staging as it is now?? I know on our first trip in 97 I saw the strip was where they were staging the new Wilderness Cabins there as they were being installed.

Plus, by then wasn't the strip used for all kinds of storage and construction staging as it is now?? I know on our first trip in 97 I saw the strip was where they were staging the new Wilderness Cabins there as they were being installed.

I just read that Walt's plane was brought in after they added the Epcot/TTC monorail and they couldn't use it as an airstrip after that as it was too close to the MR.

I tried to find an old timetable for Shawnee Airlines which served the STOLPort but apparently it is no longer on the interweb. I remember looking at it several years ago. I did find a great article by Jim Hill that shows a WDW map with an International Airport on it. That would have been interesting.

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2005/03/08/554.aspx

Found these semi-recent pics...

The STOLport

A STOLport is an airport specifically designed for STOL (Short Takeoff and Landing) aircraft, as opposed to conventional airport facilities. STOL aircraft require significantly shorter runways than conventional aircraft and have steeper approach and climb out paths and a relatively slower cruising speed. An aircraft landing strip at Walt Disney World was built and designed as a STOLport and helicopter pad. Its official name is the Lake Buena Vista STOLport. So far as I have ever been able to determine, there was never any intention to build a major airport on or near Disney World.

The landing strip is visible from the monorail as it travels from Epcot to the Magic Kingdom. It is off to the right as the monorail approaches TTC and just a bit past the Magic Kingdom toll plaza. It is also visible from the roadway that goes from World Drive to Fort Wilderness. It is mostly used for parking now for special events and overflow cast member parking.

The fire department uses it for driver training of the larger apparatus and as a landing zone for medivac helicopters where there is a patient that needs to go by helicopter to one of the local hospitals. There is also a helipad backstage at Epcot behind the Land pavilion that can be used for the same thing.

I have several pictures of the STOLport that were taken during the summer 2002.

stolport1.jpgstolport2.jpgstolport3.jpgstolport4.jpgstolport5.jpgstolport6.jpg

http://www.mcjackie.com/stolport.html

It's very cluttered with storage trailers and construction equipment right now, but about a year or so ago it was used as a detour route because the Jug Handle was blocked. I drove the bus in through the south entrance where the landing strip is and came out the other end where it connects on to the north end of World Dr. before the WL entrance

Not many people can say that they used the WDW STOLport.

They had another ultralight airport where they launched the gliders for skylydescope show over Epcot. It was a very cool daytime show with gliders, kites and fireworks during the day.it didn't last too long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epcot_Center_Ultralight_Flightpark

Thanks TCD for all the wonderful scans! I really enjoyed them. Never heard of any ski shows! Very cool

S71/Dave-

Cool stuff! It's pretty amazing how much was added between 1973 and 1978. I can't get over that photo of Discovery Island compared to how it looks today.

TCD

Hopefully they may clear out the banks of Discovery Island like they did on the island next to the WL. There may be hope yet

• 3 weeks later...

My first visit to WDW was in 1977 when our youngest daughter was 5, We stayed in the Contemporary Towers (at that time less than $100 per night). We visited River Country and the kids swam in the pools and had a ball. We also visited Discovery Island. I still have pictures somewhere of us there and in one of them I am holding a beautiful parrot in my hands. I miss being able to see the things we saw then. The ticket system was not a good one but at the time was the best they had. I much prefer not having to need tickets today. The Top of the World Club was beautiful and quite fancy. We loved eating in one of the main dining rooms downstairs in the Contemporary too.

Wish our children and grandchildren could experience River Country and Discovery Island today.