Cool Fort Wilderness Documents from 1973

Fort Wilderness just celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2011.

There are not many folks who remember its humble beginnings.

The Fort we know today was much smaller and simpler when it first opened.

These documents show that clearly.

We will start with a copy of the folder that used to be handed out to guests when they checked in.

This is the cover:

FW19731.jpg

And this is the inside flap:

FW19732.jpg

Please take the time to read what is written there.

Do you see how it mentions that Walt and Roy Disney visited what we now know as the Settlement area of Fort Wilderness?

How do you like the photo of Bay Lake before it was developed? I have heard folks say it was just a swamp before Disney came along, but this photo suggests otherwise. And there is Discovery Island!

Do you see what it says about the discovery of the Lawnmower tree?

I think it's safe to say that Walt himself saw the Lawnmower tree.

I zoomed in a bit on the photo of the Lawnmower tree from the folder. You can see that the Lawnmower handle is still intact:

FW1973LawnmowerTree.jpg

How cool is that?

Walt and Roy visited the Fort!

This next view shows the information provided to guests:

FW19733.jpg

A lot of this is the same today.

This is all interesting stuff.

But, by far, the most interesting thing about the folder is this map, from the back page:

FW19734.jpg

This is really cool.

I have spent a lot of time studying it.

This map tells me that some of the history I have heard about the development of the Fort is incorrect.

For example, I have often heard that when the Fort opened, it only had the 100-600 loops, and that in 1973, the 700-1900 loops were added. This map seems to suggest otherwise.

Here are just some of the interesting things I noticed on that map:

- There is no Reception Outpost as we currently know it. The check in building is located along the road in the area we now know as the hitch/unhitch area.

-The loops we know as 1100-1300, 1500 and 1600-2000 are not shown. Nor are any of the cabin loops. The road we know as Peacock Pass is not even shown. What we now know as the 1400 loop is shown, but it must not have been called the 1400 loop then, as there was no 1100-1300 loops. The loops must have had some type of numbers, as guests would need to identify their campsites, but they may not have had the same numbers they have now. It looks like the 500 loop must have still been the 500 loop then, as this camper's site number (539) is written where the 500 loop is currently located.

-The 500 loop is called Tupelo Trail. Its name was later changed to Terry Trail, and then to Buffalo Bend. But, it started out as Tupelo Trail.

-There is a comfort station shown in the area we now know as the 1700 loop. Odd.

-The creeks around the Fort have names.

-The area that we now know as the 300 loop playground/dog park is called the Horseshoe Bend Recreation area.

-There is only one Trading Post.

-There is no Meadow Trading Post or Meadow Pool. In fact, there are no pools at the Fort.

-The area where the Meadow pool is now located is called the Field Activity Area.

-There is no River Country.

-What was later called Discovery Island was then called Treasure Island.

-There is no FWRR- that came later.

-The campfire location is shown as the area where Pioneer Hall now sits. Pioneer Hall and Trail's End had not yet been built.

-The nature trail, which would later be called the Wilderness Swamp Trail, before it was closed, had a different name. But, the trail appears to have been something original to the Fort.

-Note how the Lawnmower Tree is shown on the map. It used to get much more attention than it does now.

I think it's worth taking a closer look at the little WDW map shown in the corner of the Fort map:

FW1973mapzoom2.jpg

Note the Stolport.

That was an operating air strip where commercial flights used to serve WDW.

I think this is all pretty amazing.

And, be sure to check back, because I have a few more circa 1973 things to share.

TCD

Back in 1973, WDW had only one theme park- the Magic Kingdom. And it had far less attractions than it does now.

And, they didn't keep the MK open for as many hours as they do now. In fact, the MK typically was open from 9 am to 8 pm, and that was it. There was no Downtown Disney. So what did Disney do to try to extract more money from their guests? These documents, which were provided to Fort Wilderness guests back in 1973 give us a clue:

FW32731.jpg

FW32732.jpg

FW32733.jpg

FW32734.jpg

FW54731.jpg

FW54732.jpg

FW54733.jpg

FW54734.jpg

So, they had a water ski show that you would watch from the monorail station. For a fee.

And cruises- The World Cruise or the Showboat Cruise. And the last Showboat Cruise wasn't until 11:45 pm.

At the Fort, there was canoe exploration- and 4 wheel drive vehicles?

The Trading Post was open from 6 am to 11 pm. Nowadays, the Meadow TP doesn't open until 8, and the Settlement until 10. And they both close at 10 pm.

Look how you could rent an Airstream Trailer back then. I have heard of this, but didn't know it started that far back.

Also note how they had "big name" entertainment in the Top of the World Lounge at the Contemporary Resort.

What I wouldn't give for a time machine.

TCD

FW19734.jpg

-There is a comfort station shown in the area we now know as the 1700 loop. Odd.

It may be that this is just a "legend" type thing to indicate that this figure represents a comfort station as it is larger and has text under it where the others in the camping loops don't.

This is a great find TCD... thanks for sharing.

It may be that this is just a "legend" type thing to indicate that this figure represents a comfort station as it is larger and has text under it where the others in the camping loops don't.

This is a great find TCD... thanks for sharing.

Duh! I think you are right. That makes more sense than why there would be a comfort station over where there were no campsites.

TCD

A couple of other things I noticed

A Florida fishing license was required

No pets were allowed. The only kennel was at the TTC and it was $1.00 per day!!!

This is cool!!!

Those are good observations, Carol.

I meant to mention what the folder says about swimming-

"You're welcome to swim in Bay Lake, but please no swimming in the campground creeks."

It makes it sound like you could swim in the lake whenever you wanted. I think it's funny that they had to tell folks not to swim in the creeks. Unless the creeks were a lot cleaner than they are now, who in their right mind would even think about swimming in the creeks?

TCD

Those are good observations, Carol.

I meant to mention what the folder says about swimming-

"You're welcome to swim in Bay Lake, but please no swimming in the campground creeks."

It makes it sound like you could swim in the lake whenever you wanted. I think it's funny that they had to tell folks not to swim in the creeks. Unless the creeks were a lot cleaner than they are now, who in their right mind would even think about swimming in the creeks?

TCD

yuck!

This is awesome! A true treasure. Many thanks for sharing.

I cracked up reading the section on firearms. The way it reads there was not a problem having a gun, but you couldn't shoot it. Was this a "legal" maneuver, or we're they hoping for added old western type ambience (dad with his big leather gun belt and his daisy red Ryder bb gun protecting the settlement post)

One curiosity: we all know that Lou would rather entertain a root canal, than to sit through EWP. I wonder if if the same sentiment would have applied to the water skiing show?