Error Message: TCD's Spring Break 2012 Trip Report!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the trip report that almost didn't happen. The TCD gang finally hit the Fort for a stay from March 24th through the 27th. Everything was going great until the morning of the 27th when TCD Twin

Since I have some momentum going here, and a bit of time, you are going to get another update. Right now. How's that for everyone? On other boards, you have to wait for days for an update. But not her

You must have rushed if you were only at Tea for three hours. We spent 7 hours, not to shabby one hour hour per lady fiend!!

Actually, we need to get over to Universal some time. We have not been since Harry Potter showed up. We at least need to check on that.

TCD

We found ourselves comparing everything to WDW while there. Obviously WDW won hands down. The only thing they do have that can compete in theming is HP. We were impressed with their attention to detail in there, though it was hard to take it all in since it was crazy crowded. Though as far as attention to detail goes, it would be kind of hard to screw HP up since JKR already designed everything in detail in her writing. They didn't have to think very hard to get that right.

The new HP ride is pretty cool, though.

Hi TCD-

Thanks! We have a Coleman Bayside. It is great. I grew up camping in a tiny Viking PUP, this is like PUPing a Cadillac.

Cool you have a friend with a cart you can use. We will probably rent one for a few days from the highly recommended Kenny for looping over a weekend. I have to say I would love one of those Fort Railroad spikes you went through all that trouble finding. Those are one of those great souvenirs you can't find in the gift shop but mean even more. Thanks for the great trip reports!

There are still more posts for me to respond to before we move along.

Yes!

That is what I am talking about!

A lurker has become a full-fledged card carrying Fiend!

Welcome.

Thanks for posting.

I love the photos in your avatar and signature.

I can tell that you have a Coleman/Fleetwood pop-up there.

What model is it?

I have a Utah CP.

About the golf cart- it isn't mine. I have a friend who lets me borrow a cart from time to time.

It's good to be TCD.

Again, welcome to FF.net.

Please feel free to post all you like here and on other threads as well.

TCD

:rofl3: :rofl2:

And in my best Cartman voice "That is so :kickinass: "

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Sheez.

I'm even getting tired of saying that.

In my best Carrman voice... TCD get your (insert words of choice) and fix us an update! :rofl2:

So is it Cartman or Carrman?

And who the Fort is that anyway?

Never heard of him/her.

Love the Storybook Circus pics!!! Lou oughta Love your intro of him :)

Thanks.

And, I would have thought Lou would love that intro too.

But I got word today that he didn't.

I'm going to have to make some corrections.

It was a wonderfully descriptive intro and the visual was priceless.

Thanks.

I thought so too.

But, as I already mentioned, I have to do a bit of a re-write on the opening.

That post about Lou should have its own thread :rofl2:

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Wow, that's two CO's in one post.

This is getting old.

Great update!! For the record I am very pro evening EMH's. No crowds and cooler temps make it a no brainer.

Where is the busman? I can't wait to see his response! :clint: :rofl2:

Well, I guess it turns out that even though busman doesn't read TR's his attorney does.

And she is not happy with me at the moment.

If ever there was a doubt about Lou's street cred... that story shall now be told around campfires from South Beach to Bangor...

:rofl2:

I know.

But wait until you hear the thanks I got for just trying to bolster Lou's street cred.

I'm willing to transfer my "multi-quote" button to TCD if it will double his limit.

Thanks.

I could use it.

:rofl2: Love it!!

Thanks.

I thought it was good too.

But it turns out that the subject of my story is not happy with it.

It's the weekend and it's a TCD cliffhanger.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

uhh, disregard that last comment.

Yes, it was a cliffhanger.

But, in a surprise that no one saw coming, TCD has cranked up his computer on a Saturday to post on a TCD TR.

That's two Saturdays in a row!

Don't get used to it.

TCD

:rofl2:

I'm thinking TCD needs to write a novel....Tales From The Fiend Side. That's good stuff.

Novel?

Sorry, I don't have much of an imagination.

I deal strictly in non-fiction writing.

Thanks anyway.

But, I do have this idea for a book. Let me know what you think . . . It will be set in the future. In America. Society has declined to the point where most people live out a very meager existence, and the corrupt government controls every part of their lives. The government hosts games each year where children are forced to fight each other to the death in a televised event. Ah heck. Never mind. I told you I was no good at this type of thing. Maybe something about a boy wizard? Or vampires? Yes, vampires, that's the ticket!

We found ourselves comparing everything to WDW while there. Obviously WDW won hands down. The only thing they do have that can compete in theming is HP. We were impressed with their attention to detail in there, though it was hard to take it all in since it was crazy crowded. Though as far as attention to detail goes, it would be kind of hard to screw HP up since JKR already designed everything in detail in her writing. They didn't have to think very hard to get that right.

The new HP ride is pretty cool, though.

Your report is exactly along the lines of what I have heard from everyone who has visited there. Nice, but too small.

We will get over there one of these days. I don't think I will be disappointed, as I do not have high expectations.

Good thing Lou doesn't read trip reports! I know he has posted a few comments after stumbling onto this thread by accident. But we know he doesn't read TR's because he said so. Lou wouldn't fib to us, would he?? O:-)

No, Lou does not fib.

He does not read trip reports.

I think he just posts random comments to keep us guessing.

Hi TCD-

Thanks! We have a Coleman Bayside. It is great. I grew up camping in a tiny Viking PUP, this is like PUPing a Cadillac.

Cool you have a friend with a cart you can use. We will probably rent one for a few days from the highly recommended Kenny for looping over a weekend. I have to say I would love one of those Fort Railroad spikes you went through all that trouble finding. Those are one of those great souvenirs you can't find in the gift shop but mean even more. Thanks for the great trip reports!

You know, after I asked you what model it was, I noticed that bumped out window, and realized that was a Bayside. That was actually the other model we considered when we bought ours.

I do recommend that you rent a cart for at least part of your visit, and of course I recommend Kenny.

TCD

Phew! I'm all caught up now.

I think it's great that you've been picked to be "that guy" so many times. Other than the old & clueless part, you are a perfect choice.

Funny story about that bus driver. I guess they'll hire anyone for that job. There was a time when they hired nice looking, sweet, compassionate, short drivers, to enhance the magic.

Oh well, I guess all good things must come to an end. ;)

OK, now that I am caught up with the comments, I have one more detail to attend to before resuming this report.

I was surprised today by a knock on my door.

I was further surprised to find that the mail carrier had a certified letter for me.

It was from the attorney with whom Lou sleeps.

She said that there were several inaccuracies in the post I had made about her client, and demanded that I immediately correct my misstatements post haste.

Post haste?

Yes, that's lawyer talk all right.

So, in order to avoid any further ugliness I have carefully re-read my post and there are some things I need to correct:

First, I was wrong about Lou's tattoos. He does have a Mickey Mouse tattoo on one arm, but the other arm has Minnie Mouse on it.

Second, the ranger who confronted Lou was not the one with the Crocodile Dundee hat. It was the one with the Smokey the Bear hat and the mirror sunglasses.

There, I think that covers it.

Now, we will move along with our story.

I have to upload some photos, and I will be back in a moment to post an update.

TCD

Phew! I'm all caught up now.

I think it's great that you've been picked to be "that guy" so many times. Other than the old & clueless part, you are a perfect choice.

Funny story about that bus driver. I guess they'll hire anyone for that job. There was a time when they hired nice looking, sweet, compassionate, short drivers, to enhance the magic.

Oh well, I guess all good things must come to an end. ;)

Well, you won't be caught up for long!

And, I don't know what you mean about the bus drivers.

I have nothing bad to say about any bus driver.

They are all wonderful people.

Read on, and I'll explain what I mean.

TCD

Sorry, but we have another delay on our hands.

I was just getting ready to post an update when I received an urgent email.

You know, the kind with the exclamation point.

When I saw who it was from I didn't want to open it.

But I knew I had to.

It was from Lou's lawyer.

Again.

It seems like she is still not happy with my corrections.

So, to avoid any further ugliness, please disregard everything I have said so far about Lou visiting my site.

Here is how it really went:

I was sitting in my screen room enjoying the sounds of nature, when I happened to look out and see a nice, clean hybrid automobile safely proceeding around the 1500 loop. The driver was cheerfully waving to the the guests on each site, and tipping his Boston Redsox hat to the ladies. He turned on his turn signal, and pulled very carefully in to my site. When he exited his car, I noticed that he was sipping from a bottle of Perrier water with a straw. Before greeting me, he walked across to the site across from mine, and passed out candy to the children there, and bowed to the lady with them. As he walked back, I noticed that he was dressed like he had just left the Country Club-freshly pressed khaki pants, a shirt with an alligator on it, and even a sweater tied losely around his neck. He called out cheerfully to me: "TCD, my good man, it is I, Louis, here to pay you a bit of a visit."

OK, that should make Lou's pit-bull mouthpiece attorney happy.

And, now, we can resume our story without any interruptions from certified letters and emails and such.

TCD

OK, no more emails.

So, it looks like I can move on with this report.

Actually, the truth about Lou is somewhere in between those two descriptions.

And, he did not actually show up until later in the morning.

So, let's back up and begin again.

Here's how Monday really went.

Remember, we had been up until 3 the night before.

That did not stop me from getting up early.

I did make my own coffee that morning, as I did plan on just hanging around the site because I knew the girls wanted to sleep in, and that Lou would be stopping by later.

That gave me a chance to break out my new Fort Wilderness mug.

It turns out that I was lucky to snag two of these back in January, as they only got one batch in, and sold them out quickly. Thus far, they have not gotten any more in, and according to my source in the Meadow Trading Post, these mugs are the most requested item.

Just to see what a good job they did with these, here's a photo of my new mug (the one with Chip and Dale is the new one) compared to a mug I bought years ago, when they had a lot of Fort themed merchandise for sale:

Image2993.jpg

I like those new mugs a lot.

After a while, I decided to do a bit of looking around, and headed down to Pioneer Hall.

Here we are:

Image2998.jpg

There was something going on over by the old petting zoo.

Whenever anything is going on around the barn area, I check on it.

Here's what I saw:

Image2999.jpg

Using my trained powers of observation, I determined that this was just a tree service crew, and that one of more of the trees you see here would not be here the next time I checked:

Image3000.jpg

Image3001.jpg

We will call these the before pictures.

We will be checking back here a bit later for what we will call the after pictures.

But, for now, I was going to go out on a mission.

The TCD official FWRR spike inventory has been getting a bit low what with all the new Fiends visiting the Fort.

So, I decided to go on a spike hunt.

I headed out past the canal next to the 1500 loop:

Image3002.jpg

Check out these wildflowers I found growing right along the base of the bridge:

Image3003.jpg

I love how nature is constantly fighting against our efforts to tame it.

I looked for a long time.

In a lot of places.

And came up with a few spikes.

I wanted to have a couple to give to Lou, as he is the official FF Spiker when I am not available.

Which is most of the time.

I don't have any photos to share from the spike hunt, as that information is now classified.

Some of the areas I have spike hunted in the past have been ravaged by poachers.

They must have come over from the AK safari ride.

Darn those poachers!

Back at camp, I decided to take a photo of one of my prized possessions. I was going to use this photo as an April Fool's prank too. But, after I looked at it, I decided it wouldn't work. What I was going to do was post this photo and tell everyone that there were no FW personalized zipper pulls available for sale in the trading posts. But, my zipper pull is looking a bit worn, so I figured the prank wouldn't work. Plus, who would believe that there was a market for personalized FW zipper pulls:

Image3005.jpg

It's kind of odd that they once sold those. And that I have one. I'm not sure where others put their zipper pulls, but I used to put mine on the fly of my pants. But, Mrs. TCD said I needed to stop that, so I permanently moved it to the zipper on my screen room.

So, to sum up Monday morning: I hung around camp, and the girls slept.

Kind of boring. I mean, I was taking pictures of zipper pulls for crying out loud!

What a contrast to my afternoon.

The girls were just starting to stir when Lou arrived. They knew that I had a play date with Lou, and they planned to get up and head over to Epcot for lunch, and we would meet up later.

Lou and I have known each other for a while now.

He and Gail have visited me at the Fort a few times, and we have corresponded on occasion through private messages and emails. It turns out that we have quite a bit in common.

For a long time, Lou has offered to take me on a behind the scenes tour at WDW.

I have always responded that I am very interested in that, but the timing never quite worked out.

Well, on this trip, we finally worked it out.

Lou had Monday off, and the girls and I did not have any big plans or expect any company.

So Monday it was.

Lou made the plans.

I was just along for the ride.

What a blast I had!

As we headed out of the Fort, we drove through the backstage area just off the main road. I thought this sign, which hung over one of the buildings where castmembers work, was great:

Image3006.jpg

I have seen this trailer from a distance before, but not up close like this. It has a painting of the calliope that is now on display in the horse barn on it:

Image3008.jpg

We saw a lot of things being repaired- like picnic tables.

And a lot of those log benches that you see around the Fort- the ones they have at the bus stops and at the campfire. There were a whole lot of them. I'm not sure whether they are going to swap out new ones for the old ones, or if these are going to show up in new places.

We headed next to the building known as Team Disney. It is over by Downtown Disney. It is a big building, where a lot of management types work. It is quite impressive from an architectual standpoint. Here are a few photos of the entry area:

Image3014.jpg

Isn't that clever?

Do you see the Downtown Disney balloon there in the background to the right?

This is looking down the driveway leading to the building:

Image3013.jpg

And one more look at the dwarf sculptures. Make sure that you don't miss the gems on the ground:

Image3012.jpg

This building was open to Lou, and he was allowed to bring in a guest. That would be me.

Lou took me to the employee cafeteria they have there.

It was very nice, and the prices were about half what they charge guests for similar food in the parks and resorts.

We both got a pasta dish which was prepared to order by a chef. When I later described this to the girls, they said, "Oh, like the pasta station at Port Orleans Riverside." And they were right- it was just like that. You chose the ingredients, and the chef prepares the dish for you.

It was good, and it was interesting to look around and see all the management types eating there.

When Lou and I stopped at the security desk to enter the building, Lou asked the guard on duty if it would be OK for me to take some photos inside. She said she guessed so. Typical.

So, since the guard guessed so, I took a few photos of the giant sundial which is the centerpiece of this building:

Image3009.jpg

You can't tell from these photos how huge this thing was, but it was a giant cylinder in the middle of the building.

These photos are of the base area:

Image3010.jpg

Image3011.jpg

Since it was nice of Lou to take me on this tour, I did not want to cause him any trouble by taking any more behind the scenes photos or describing too exactly everywhere we went. I will just say this, I can't believe everything I got to see that afternoon. From the Team Disney building, we next visited the WDW Performing Arts Center, and then the Casting Building, and then we went to a completly different area where I got to see the castmember store, and Disney University, and Fire Stations, and the Bus Maintenance area, and even the Cryogenic Storage facility where they keep Walt's frozen head. What I am trying to say is that we saw it all!

That was about the coolest afternoon a big WDW fan like myself could spend.

So, thanks, Lou.

And, just to be clear, Lou was not warm or fuzzy at any time on this little trip. He was tough and cool. Like always.

Lou and I got back to the Fort maybe around 2-ish.

I took Lou over to harass his good FF.net buddy Starbuc71. You may remember that S71 is a big Rays fan, and poor Lou is a Red Socks fan. So, there was a bit of good-natured razzing and a bit of smack talk. When they started to push each other around in front of S71's kids, I put Lou in a headlock, and dragged him back to my site.

I then gave him a couple of spikes to use for future Fiend visits, and Lou was on his way.

Lou, thanks so much for a great afternoon!

Next up, I tracked down the TCD twins.

And, we will be heading over to Hollywood Studios.

TCD

Waiting......

It that was a phone entry typo ... It should have been cartman. Auto correct pit carrman

OK, Cartman, Carrman, whatever.

Who is it?

Cool tour!!!!

The coolest ever!

What awesome way to spend an afternoon!!

The most awesome ever!

Did you actually get to see Walt's frozen head?

Sorry, but that is classified information.

OK, I kind of embellished the part about the Cryogenics Storage Facility. The sign out front said it was Castmember Costuming. But, you and I both know that they aren't going to put up a real sign in front of where they have Walt's head.

It is good to be TCD

You can say that again.

TCD

I noticed that he was dressed like he had just left the Country Club-freshly pressed khaki pants, a shirt with an alligator on it, and even a sweater tied losely around his neck. He called out cheerfully to me: "TCD, my good man, it is I, Louis, here to pay you a bit of a visit."

TCD

Ok, caught up again and slightly creeped out.

If I were to believe the story above and then add to that:

1. While you were out searching for spikes in the wilderness........you took wildflower pictures

2. You went on a play date with Lou, which involved a lunch of pasta prepared by a chef

and last but not least, you put him in a headlock and dragged him back to your site?! Sounds kind of caveman like, and I'm beginning to wonder about you two. :mellow:

*There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I do not judge others.

When corona drinking, GAG eating, Gator football loving TCD comes back, tell him I enjoyed the insider look of WDW. ;)

I'm not sure that there has ever been a Saturday where there has been more than one update posted on a TCD TR.

So, you are right now participating in a historic event.

Because here comes another update.

Why?

Because TCD is a rock star.

That's why.

So my most excellent adventure with Lou was done, and it was time to find the TCD twins.

Through the magic of technology, I found that they were, in fact in Epcot.

They had enjoyed a lunch at the new-ish Mexico quick serve location, and were doing a bit of shopping.

Twin #2 was on the look-out for a Simba Pillow Pet.

They had seen a Simba Pillow Pet before, but they were not having any luck tracking one down on this trip.

They said they were going to hang out at Epcot for a bit longer, and then planned to go to Wilderness Lodge for ice cream. They like the self-serve machine there. I said to let me know when they were leaving, as I might want to join them.

In the meantime, I did a bit of looping.

I saw a castmember taking the horse wagon out for a spin:

Image3015.jpg

Image3016.jpg

I thought I would go down and check on the progress of those tree guys that I had seen just that morning.

They were gone.

And so was that big oak tree that stood right in front of that fence:

Image3017.jpg

Those guys don't mess around. There wasn't even a stump. Just a bunch of sawdust:

Image3018.jpg

I heard from the girls right around this point.

So, I headed back to the site and headed to the 1500 loop bus stop. A Yellow bus from there would take me right to the Lodge. Nice.

Unfortunately, a bus was just leaving the stop as I arrived back at the loop. So, I had a short wait for the next one.

This was my view looking out from the bus stop:

Image3019.jpg

And here is what I saw looking down toward the 1600-1900 loops:

Image3020.jpg

This is the site right behind the bus stop. These folks had arrived just that day with three suitcases. They must have flown in. They set up this tent, and I never saw them again:

Image3021.jpg

Before too long, my bus came, and I headed over to the lodge.

There had been a question asked not too long ago about whether Fort guests had the right to use the health club at the Lodge, so I went over there to ask the question directly.

If you are in to that kind of thing, the health club is very nice. It is called Sturdy Branches:

Image3025.jpg

They have everything that you might expect in there:

Image3022.jpg

Image3023.jpg

Image3024.jpg

And, in case you are interested, the answer to the question is that yes, Fort Wilderness guests with a KTTW card (room key) are allowed to use this facility for free.

Good to know.

You probably won't see me in there.

The girls called me as I was looking around here. They had already arrived.

We had some ice cream, and then headed back to the Fort.

Since we hadn't looped much that day, that's what we did when we got back.

We saw some interesting things, too.

Like this site.

I call this photo Old and New:

Image3026.jpg

It's kind of interesting that one person owns those two things.

We checked on Site 1741, which has a bit of a history here on ff.net, and found this deranged turkey attacking the car parked there:

Image3027.jpg

Twin #2 tried to chase this crazy bird away:

Image3028.jpg

But he was a clever one:

Image3029.jpg

I am no turkey expert, but I think this poor fellow probably went crazy from eating all those peanuts the guy next door fed him.

After the 1700 loop, we checked on the 1600 loop, where we saw quite a few interesting sights.

Like these people with a boat parked not anywhere near their pad:

Image3030.jpg

What has happened to the annoying Fort rangers?

The boat didn't bother me.

But this next sight scared me silly.

Guess what I found on the 1600 loop?

HIPPIES!!!

Yikes! :

Image3031.jpg

Image3032.jpg

Image3033.jpg

I did not see or hear any accordians, so it was not as bad as it could have been.

You won't believe what I saw next.

You have heard of those Occupy people, right?

You know, Occupy Wall Street?

There is a group Occupying Tampa. They have been there six months.

There is also a group Occupying Tallahassee.

Do you have an Occupy group in your town?

Well, guess where they are now?

The 1600 loop!

You think I'm lying?

See for yourself:

Image3034.jpg

Image3035.jpg

Image3036.jpg

I found one of the campers on this site and asked him what the Fort they were protesting. He said they were demanding the return of peacocks, the railroad, and steak fries in the Giddyap And Go. I thought those were all very valid requests, so I wished him well. I will check on this the next time I'm at the Fort and let you know how they're doing.

After seeing the Occupy site, we all agreed that nothing else we might see would top that, so we headed back to our site.

On a visit to the comfort station a bit later, I saw this family trying to figure out how to cut through to the comfort station without getting soaked by the sprinklers:

Image3037.jpg

It was much funnier in person.

Trust me on that.

Then it was hammock time.

Here is a view of the back of the TCD site:

Image3038.jpg

And a view of the sinking sun from the official TCD hammock:

Image3040.jpg

I cooked dinner at the site that night.

Yes, it was Pirate Jeff's Macaroni and Cheese.

What else?

And then we decided to pay a visit to the horses before we headed over to Hollywood Studios.

We will pick up our story from the horse barn in the next post.

TCD

Ok, caught up again and slightly creeped out.

If I were to believe the story above and then add to that:

1. While you were out searching for spikes in the wilderness........you took wildflower pictures

2. You went on a play date with Lou, which involved a lunch of pasta prepared by a chef

and last but not least, you put him in a headlock and dragged him back to your site?! Sounds kind of caveman like, and I'm beginning to wonder about you two. :mellow:

*There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I do not judge others.

When corona drinking, GAG eating, Gator football loving TCD comes back, tell him I enjoyed the insider look of WDW. ;)

Yes, I see what you are saying.

But, I am what I am.

I'm a complex man.

Perhaps it is a little creepy.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

TCD

Great updates as always (but that is just standard for TCD). For the record I am not always Captain Obvious.. normally I am the more non-superhero-ish G2P. :) Thank you for pointing out lesser points of interest (that are definitely interesting). Oh and Cartman is a character in South Park (a cartoon on TV).