Error Message: TCD's Spring Break 2012 Trip Report!

1 1/2 hours for Fantasmic. No way is that worth it.

Except if your wife wanted to see the show, of course.

I wonder why they moved the Mermaid statue? I will have to look for it in its new location. I had not heard anything about this, and could not find anything about it online after I noticed it was missing. Is it still a fountain?

TCD

Yes my wife wanted me to see it. 20 - 30 minute wait, maybe worth it. Anymore than that, a waste of time.

If I remember correctly it is still a fountain.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the trip report that almost didn't happen. The TCD gang finally hit the Fort for a stay from March 24th through the 27th. Everything was going great until the morning of the 27th when TCD Twin

Since I have some momentum going here, and a bit of time, you are going to get another update. Right now. How's that for everyone? On other boards, you have to wait for days for an update. But not her

You must have rushed if you were only at Tea for three hours. We spent 7 hours, not to shabby one hour hour per lady fiend!!

Pursuant to standard routine, I will respond to the comments before we move on.

I still have to do them 10 at a time:

The pictures in this report are out of this world. Makes me happier than ever that I switched the second half of my September trip to stay at the Fort. Can't wait to get there and get some of my own "sunrise over..." pics!

I can't wait until you can get some sunrise photos, too! Make sure that you share them with us!

Crow butt sounds like the kind of liquor they would serve at a Billy and the Hillbillies show. :)

Cool picture of the Cardinal (I'm particular to them you know). Heard something interesting the other day, but haven't confirmed it's accuracy. Someone told me that Cardinals and Owls are two non migratory birds. Although, I bet the Marlins are glad they left Miami to head North. :)

Never been to fantasmic. Maybe the dinner/show might be just the trick.

Glad you like the cardinal. We have a cardinal nest at our house with four baby cardinals in it.

As usual, I am a couple days late getting on board. Re. Fantasmic. First of all, let me say I have never seen it. Nope. Not once. I am not a crowd person. I get nervous with large groups of people pressing their stinking bodies against mine. It sometimes seems there is a shortage of soap and deodorant at WDW. Anyway, after seeing TCD's pictures and realizing there are pyrotechnics involved, I may reconsider and wait in line next visit for a chance to see some fire and explosions, especially if there is a chance Mickey will ignite.

Yes, there are pyrotechnics involved. And lasers. I think there is a good chance that Mickey could ignite.

I'm not a morning person but I think when we do go to FW it is going to be a MUST for me to do :heartsmiley:

Thank you again for your trip reports.

I encourage everyone to get up early at least once during their stay at FW. I love to go for a morning bike ride. There is an abundance of wildlife, especially on the trail to WL. Very quiet and peaceful.

Hmmm.

Maybe we shouldn't talk up the getting up early thing. Wouldn't it be something if I start finding crowds of people out along Bay Lake when I go out to enjoy the solitude in the morning?

Been taking a break for a couple of weeks and when I came back I got to read a great new TCD trip report.

Couple of things I wanted to add, the cornhole games were there in January for the Marathon weekend and then they disappeared. We asked the manager of the HDDR and he couldn't find them. I think they are supposed to put them out only when people are waiting for the HDDR from what he said.

We also have only seen Fastasmic once. That's when my DD was about 4, she will be 14 this month. She was terrified of it and we never went back. I couldn't believe the amount of people waiting in your pics. And you said there were 2 shows? I guess we won't be seeing it again soon....

Well, I'm glad that you're back!

That is funny that you haven't seen Fantasmic in 10 years. This seems to be a popular show among everyone except the Fiends.

It is odd that they would have fake beer in the park without a liquor license.

However, that song was from the musical, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" that was based on the life of a rich socialite who was a Titanic Survivor. Earlier in her life she was poor and uneducated and worked in a saloon. In the musical that song is set in the saloon, which is not unlike the Diamond Horseshoe. MGM made the musical into a movie staring Debbie Reynolds (gosh I'm a dork for knowing all of that).

Maybe the MGM connection is why that song was used in the show? I wonder if the show had other MGM connections and that's why they ended up taking it out?

Wow, you know your musicals!

You may be onto something about the MGM connection. Once upon a time, Disney exploited their relationship with MGM- heck, it wasn't that long ago that Hollywood Studios was MGM Studios (and a lot of people still call it that).

I have two days of updates to respond to. But there is really just one thing I need to comment on. And it is a very profound comment.

Fantasmic sucks. Big time.

At least IMHO.

That is all.

Wow, another Fantasmic Hating Fiend!

The feeling seems to be unanimous.

I say seems because the last quote in this response is from Lou, who of course has a different view of things.

Thank you! I'm blushing.

I too wake up really early every day and love experiencing the Fort as the sun comes up. One of these days I'll get David up and have him explore with me. I have a really bad knee and am afraid of getting too far out of mainstream traffic in case I have problems with it. So I usually stay around the Settlement area.

And you all have convinced me not to see Fantasmic.

Gwen, when the day comes that you and I are at the Fort at the same time. Notice I said when, not if. I will swing by and pick you up for a early morning tour. Since you have the bad knee, I will make you a fake doctor's note so we can use that to show any rangers that try to stop us, and I will take you to all the out of the way places via golf cart.

And, you still have to go see Fantasmic. The rest of us have, and you need to make up your own mind.

I enjoy Fantasmic. I've seen it a number of times and will see it again.

I encourge everyone that asks to see it.

Why I am not surprised that Lou takes the contrary view?

Lou, you had bettter be careful about admitting that you like something at WDW, it might damage your street cred.

TCD

I KNEW IT!!!

16539.jpg

I knew it too.

BTW, Dave, that is not the most flattering photo I have seen of you.

The perm is not working for you at all.

I like the moustache though.

Yes my wife wanted me to see it. 20 - 30 minute wait, maybe worth it. Anymore than that, a waste of time.

If I remember correctly it is still a fountain.

Thanks for the fountain info- I plan on finding it and documenting its new location on an upcoming visit.

TCD

Gwen, when the day comes that you and I are at the Fort at the same time. Notice I said when, not if. I will swing by and pick you up for a early morning tour. Since you have the bad knee, I will make you a fake doctor's note so we can use that to show any rangers that try to stop us, and I will take you to all the out of the way places via golf cart.

And, you still have to go see Fantasmic. The rest of us have, and you need to make up your own mind.

It's a deal!

Finally, here comes today's update.

And it looks like this is going to be the last full batch of photos.

I'll have a few more after this one, and then this will be another done TCD TR.

But don't worry about that for now.

Let's continue on with this one.

I left off with us leaving the Settlement and heading toward the Meadow area.

I stopped at the 800 loop bus stop to see how the creative resolution to the trailer vs. bus stop problem is going.

This has been well documented in past TCD TR's.

In case you are not remembering, the situation is that the 800 loop bus stop sits just a bit down the way from the 800 loop exit. When campers pull out of the 800 loop, if they aren't careful, their trailer could clip the corner of the bus stop. I have seen the aftermath of this a couple of times, and it ain't purdy. Kind of like someone took a giant can-opener to the side of the trailer.

The geniuses in charge of troubleshooting at the Fort initially tried to put permanent traffic barriers at the 800 loop exit, to force guests leaving the loop to take a wide turn. That was good for the bus stop, but bad for the folks minding their own business driving in the other direction only to find a big truck and trailer coming at them in their lane. So, those traffic barriers disappeared.

Then the geniuses came up with an even more brilliant idea: they just cut the corner off of the bus stop roof. Brilliant. You can't hit what isn't there. You would think.

This photo suggests that there still are trailer vs. bus stop incidents:

IMG_0561.jpg

Remember, I got the site 617 photos in early on this trip report.

But, the folks in that photo had left and new people were in the site, so you get a couple more site 617 photos in this report. No extra charge.

Here you go:

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Nice.

Well worth the extra charge.

Since I was in the area, I crossed over the loop and checked out the footbridge that leads from the 600 loop to the campfire area.

Here we are on the bridge looking down the canal, 600 is on our left, and 1400 on the right. Note how that RV on the 600 loop is being reflected in the water:

IMG_0565.jpg

That sun was still not quite risen when I looked over to the campfire area, which allowed me to take this photo, which I call Sunrise Over The Theater Under The Stars:

IMG_0566.jpg

From the base of the bridge, I took this photo looking toward the Meadow Trading Post and Tnbob's dock:

IMG_0567.jpg

I didn't like seeing that trailer on the right of the shot, so I tried one more, this time turned a bit to the left, and also including more of that blue sky:

IMG_0568.jpg

That trailer on the 600 loop ruined that shot too, so I tried one more time, this time including the Bike Barn and the canoes:

IMG_0569.jpg

That stupid camper is still in the shot.

I gave up at that point.

I headed back across the bridge, and out of the 600 loop.

Then I saw something interesting.

I thought maybe I had finally found my Real Man Of Genius.

Check out this elaborate clothes line:

IMG_0570.jpg

Is this supposed to be a clothes rack?

Or did this guy create it?

And what is going on with his tent?

The best part about this is that this was all plainly visible from the 800 loop bus stop across the street:

IMG_0572.jpg

Whoever slept in that tent sure got the camping experience at the Fort.

After further thought, I decided that as impressive as that drying rack was, it was not worthy of a TCDRMOG award.

After all, it's just a clothesline.

Big deal.

I decided to head over to the back porch of the Meadow Trading Post.

We have already seen photos from here in this trip report too, but I took a few more for good measure. Again, there will be no extra charge.

Look how smooth the water was in this shot and how it perfectly reflects the trees and sky:

IMG_0573.jpg

There used to be a bunch of bushes right along the bank here as we look toward the big bridge behind the Trading Post. I tried to find a before photo, but I am not sure that I have one. If I had known they were going to rip out the bushes, I would have been sure to take a before photo. But I didn't so I didn't:

IMG_0574.jpg

At this point, I had to end the sight seeing and go back and pack up.

But, when I got back to camp, I realized that it was still kind of early, and I had a little more time for a few more photos. The campers across from me had already cleared out, so I cut through their empty site and walked back to the canal behind the 1500 loop to see what I could see.

Would you believe that I had a chance for one more sunrise photo?

Well, I did, and here is the photo I call Sunrise Over The Canal Adjacent to the 1500 Loop:

IMG_0575.jpg

In case you are wondering, that is, in fact, the last Sunrise photo I have for you from this trip.

As I looked down the canal, I could see deer across on the other side, down by the bend:

IMG_0576.jpg

Here's one more look at the deer. Note that you cannot see the cranes from here. I hope that means that we will not be able to see the new building from here either. But, the cranes are right behind those trees:

IMG_0577.jpg

Here is a look down the canal in the opposite direction:

IMG_0578.jpg

If you look to the left center of the photo above, you may be able to see the campers from that site sitting out here by the canal.

I walked a little closer to see if I could get them in a shot:

IMG_0580.jpg

Here's a look down the canal from this point:

IMG_0579.jpg

This is the site that goes with those campers:

IMG_0581.jpg

I have never had one of the sites that backs up to the canal, but I think I would like to.

And just think, these sites are $30 a night less than those sites we saw on the 600 loop across from the 800 loop bus stop.

The trees on the 1500 loop are tall:

IMG_0582.jpg

At this point, I finally went back to camp and began getting things packed up.

I went at it hard for about an hour, and then decided I needed a coffee break.

So, I headed back to the Meadow Trading Post.

Here we are near the back porch looking across to the Bike Barn:

IMG_0583.jpg

The guy in the white shirt over there is a castmember that I know well.

It is ex-ranger Sean.

He used to be a ranger.

He was a ranger last summer.

Then he was a fireworks cruise guide.

Now he works at the Bike Barn.

The guy moves around a lot.

I chatted with him a bit. He told me that the Bike Barn is infested with bats. That's why there is a ladder and cone set out there. I had mentioned this previously in this report, but Sean confirmed it. Here's another look at the bat fighting equipment and of Sean:

IMG_0584.jpg

This photo is for TnBob. TnBob your dock misses you! :

IMG_0585.jpg

While in the Meadow Trading Post, I checked on the Fort merch.

I think this beer coozie is cute:

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

But, I already own a much better insulated one from back in the day:

IMG_0589.jpg

And while I am showing off my old-school Fort memorabilia, here is something I own that I have had for years:

IMG_0588.jpg

That's a genuine Trail's End magnet.

Have you ever seen one of those before?

Since I was documenting my old treasures, I thought I would take a photo of this old door mat I have:

IMG_0602.jpg

And, how do you like this one, which is even older? :

IMG_0603.jpg

I think that whoever is in charge of bringing in the new Fort merch ought to bring in a door mat.

I know I would buy one.

It was right about here that I woke the girls up, as it was time for me to get the camper folded down.

They decided to head over to the MK while I finished packing up, but first we went for a final loop.

We saw a couple of interesting things on that last ride around the Fort, which I will share in my next post.

After that, this one will be done.

So, this is the last chance for any guests who want a spike to step forward and join the fun.

TCD

Chiming in while my girls are working independently. Well at least they should be. ;)

As for Fantasmic, I liked it. Steve though it was ok and probably would not wait in line to see it again. I would definitely choose the dining package though when ever I get to see it again.

I like Bob's dock, but something seems to be missing on it......him.

Could you please add him to the dock?

One good thing about FF.net is what one member lacks, another probably has!

I have bush! (Whoa, that didn't sound right)

I have the bushes by Bob's dock! (much better)

memorialday2001nates21st191.jpg

Another great update. Sad that it's winding down.

I have seen that Trail's End magnet! In fact it is holding up my daughter's report card on my refrigerator right now! One year when we rented a cabin I had little character magnets that I had brought for the girls to play with (I'm not sure why). They would play with them on our cabin frig. The housekeeper must have seen them each day and on our last day left us that Trail's End magnet.

I also recognize the older of your two doormats. I had a t-shirt with the same picture on it. I finally had to throw it away when it became see through from washing it so much.

And just for the record, we have never seen Fantasmic.

Why I am not surprised that Lou takes the contrary view?

Lou, you had bettter be careful about admitting that you like something at WDW, it might damage your street cred.

Thanks for your concern regarding my street cred Mr. Rock Star, but I must differ, that's not a contrary view.

The unique whackos personalities on this board may not like it, but most normal, I repeat normal, people do enjoy it.

LOve the old memorabilia! Big shock right? :rolleyes: I have the license plate that matches the doormat .. the one with Mickey and friends in the RV arriving at FW. :)

Revisiting the Fantasmic issue just for a sec. I am pro Fantasmic but it is usually very difficult for us to work it out as you have to get there very early to score a good spot .... this long span of sitting and waiting doesn't seem to go over well with Gabe. KFD is extremely even more pro Fantasmic than me. Hmmm perhaps a father/daughter excursion should take place..

I think I'm caught up! Well, I keep hitting next on my phone and it keeps returning me to the top of the page, so I'll take that as a hint.

I had several things to comment on, but somewhere between feeding and bathing children, eating dinner, and enjoying percussion instruments with preschoolers at church, I've forgotten some things.

Let's see what I do remember...

Sorry about your Gators. Losing stinks. However, it made for a good UK/UofL game. So glad that we won that one. I'm surprised the state of Kentucky didn't blow up during that game.

Hmm...insert comments on various things that I forgot about...

We own the Campground Sing-a-long, as well as the Beach Sing-a-long. One of Gabriella's favorite songs at the moment is "Set Your Name Free". I know that children learn by repitition, but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of times they can watch/hear something and never be bored by it.

I want to try Flametree BBQ, but we never have. We're usually with my parents, and my mom doesn't want to eat there. She says it makes her think she's eating a zebra or something. I say it's not as bad as te jungle steak at Rainforet Cafe. I had to pass on that. Reminded me of a monkey. We always get a Picnic in the Park. It's a pretty good deal.

Did anyone answer your question about who Cartman is? I must admit that I skimmed some things, so I may have missed it. Anyway, he's a character on South Park. I wasn't allowed to watch South Park. But I had a bedroom door. And a TV in my bedroom. I don't foresee tvs in my kids' bedrooms.

Nice picture of a crow's butt.

I've seen Fantasmic! a total of one time. I don't remember that long of a wait in 06. I'm definitely not waiting for 90 minutes to see it.

Love the new FW coffee mug. Chip n Dale are two of my favorite characters, and I buy a new coffee cup every trip. Hopefully they'll have one next Spring Break!

That's all I remember. Excellent pictures, as always!

I have a set of coffee mugs that matches your "even older" mat. Remember them?

You are such a good Dad. You do all the work while they go out and have fun.

I do not remember the coffee mugs with the Mickey in the RV image, but I do not doubt that they sold those. That logo was popular for a while. One of the kids has a trading pin with that image on it. If the people in charge had any brains, they would bring that logo back- it is very nice, and there aren't any guns or anything else that would be a problem for them to use it.

I'm not sure about the good Dad part, but when the girls were smaller, it was easier for me to get packed up without them hanging around. They probably would be a big help now, but I am used to packing things a certain way, so I still prefer that they clear out when I am getting everything put away.

Chiming in while my girls are working independently. Well at least they should be. ;)

As for Fantasmic, I liked it. Steve though it was ok and probably would not wait in line to see it again. I would definitely choose the dining package though when ever I get to see it again.

I like Bob's dock, but something seems to be missing on it......him.

Could you please add him to the dock?

Sorry, Bob will have to add himself to the dock. I was looking for a photo of Bob on his dock-I'm sure I have one, but I didn't find one yet.

Love the canal pics. Everything looks so peaceful!

It is peaceful out there. It makes getting up early worth the effort.

One good thing about FF.net is what one member lacks, another probably has!

I have bush! (Whoa, that didn't sound right)

I have the bushes by Bob's dock! (much better)

memorialday2001nates21st191.jpg

Another great update. Sad that it's winding down.

Nice job.

Generally, I am anti-plant removal, but I think it does look better around Bob's dock with those bushes gone.

I have seen that Trail's End magnet! In fact it is holding up my daughter's report card on my refrigerator right now! One year when we rented a cabin I had little character magnets that I had brought for the girls to play with (I'm not sure why). They would play with them on our cabin frig. The housekeeper must have seen them each day and on our last day left us that Trail's End magnet.

I also recognize the older of your two doormats. I had a t-shirt with the same picture on it. I finally had to throw it away when it became see through from washing it so much.

And just for the record, we have never seen Fantasmic.

I also found my magnet on a cabin fridge many moons ago.

And another Fiend who has never seen Fantasmic.

Wow.

Thanks for the awesome Trip Report TCD. I am getting more and more excited about my first trip in July!

Thanks.

I know that your first trip will not be your last, so enjoy!

Any chance you could post photos of the baby cardinals? I would love to see that!

As a matter of fact, there is a good chance of that.

Twin #1 has been documenting their progress. I will hunt down some of those photos for you. At the moment, the babies are kind of scary looking.

Thanks for your concern regarding my street cred Mr. Rock Star, but I must differ, that's not a contrary view.

The unique whackos personalities on this board may not like it, but most normal, I repeat normal, people do enjoy it.

As much as I hate to admit it, you have a valid point.

There is not denying that Fantasmic draws big crowds. Heck, the night we went, we were attending the second showing, and it was still packed.

You do not see crowds like that lining the banks of the Seven Seas Lagoon or Bay Lake to watch the EWP.

Careful on that word of normal, because in the infamous words of Adam Savage. "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own"

I'm glad you responded to Lou's question about who this is. I know the show, but I didn't know that fellow's name.

LOve the old memorabilia! Big shock right? ::) I have the license plate that matches the doormat .. the one with Mickey and friends in the RV arriving at FW. :)

Revisiting the Fantasmic issue just for a sec. I am pro Fantasmic but it is usually very difficult for us to work it out as you have to get there very early to score a good spot .... this long span of sitting and waiting doesn't seem to go over well with Gabe. KFD is extremely even more pro Fantasmic than me. Hmmm perhaps a father/daughter excursion should take place..

I am pro-father-daughter excursions, and I hope that one happens!

And, I'm not sure that this is a show where it is essential to sit close to the stage. We were about 2/3 of the way back, and I actually think that we had a better view of everything than we would have if we were closer.

TCD