I loved immersing in that history when we spent our week there. I have always said that if given an opportunity to travel in time, I'd love to experience Boston during colonial and Revolutionary days. Life wasn't easy then, but they certainly made the most of it. The shear number of incredibly intelligent, natural leaders that existed at that time to shepherd this young nation to independence and build the Republic is unbelievable. We don't have a single leader of that capability available to us today...or at least not many. Anyone that doubts America's exceptionalism and endowment by God as a place of liberty needs to explain to me how ALL of those Founders came to be in one place at one time to create what we have today. I know this isn't the Debate thread so I'm sorry to share all of these thoughts. I just really love American history and your pictures have brought back a lot of emotions I felt as I visited all of those places in May 2009.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The four of you, who will remain nameless, Cherie, Dave, Bob, and Bill, have taken a perfectly innocent TR and brought it down to the depths of depravity and vulgarism that is beneath even the four of

I think I can help out here. I'm not real strong in my Russian, but I do believe it translates to "hey, the f*ing dog pooped in the trailer and I'm out of vodka."

Looks like a good option also! Thanks!!

I have always said that if given an opportunity to travel in time, I'd love to experience Boston during colonial and Revolutionary days.

A huge ditto.

I watch and read anything that's from that time period. And even though you tend not to appreciate things that are near where you live, I was and still am in awe of what took place there and at many other places in what was to be the USA.

We don't have a single leader of that capability available to us today...or at least not many.

They're here we just don't know who they are.

I have no doubt that if circumstances were such that we needed people that are like the Founders, they would surface.

America's exceptionalism and endowment by God as a place of liberty needs to explain to me how ALL of those Founders came to be in one place at one time to create what we have today.

Amazing, amazing people and events.

I like to think that if I were around then, I would be one of the instigators and be part of what went on there.

Maybe because I wasn't born into it and had an uphill climb in order to become an American, that I appreciate what it means to be an American a little more than some others.

I've lived and seen the other side and I'm very happy that what happened 236 years ago did happen.

I loved immersing in that history when we spent our week there. I have always said that if given an opportunity to travel in time, I'd love to experience Boston during colonial and Revolutionary days. Life wasn't easy then, but they certainly made the most of it. The shear number of incredibly intelligent, natural leaders that existed at that time to shepherd this young nation to independence and build the Republic is unbelievable. We don't have a single leader of that capability available to us today...or at least not many. Anyone that doubts America's exceptionalism and endowment by God as a place of liberty needs to explain to me how ALL of those Founders came to be in one place at one time to create what we have today. I know this isn't the Debate thread so I'm sorry to share all of these thoughts. I just really love American history and your pictures have brought back a lot of emotions I felt as I visited all of those places in May 2009.

No need to be sorry I dont believe. I couldn't have said it better myself but I agree with everything you just stated.

I am also very jealous that Lou got to see Ted Williams at Fenway Park.....I would have been in heaven.

Awesome update. I can't get enough of the historical info/pics!

Love it,Nicki! I too, am a history nut.

It is really fascinating to think "If this ______ hadn't happened, that led to this _________, then this _________.......". It's never just one thing that gets us to where we are. It's a string of things some small and some large that leads us to our future.

Mini Update -

Sadly the Boston Bus Tour did not take place. It rained from Mon - Wed. So I called Wed night to make the arrangements to do the tour and they didn't have enough people to fill a micro bus (18-20). For some reason, DH just didn't want me to go on Friday. So I did laundry instead. I am really bummed about not getting into Boston but maybe we will make it close enough to get back. There was so much I wanted to see!

I did manage to collect some quilting material on Thursday... patriot themed, for our trip quilt(s). Yesterday, we ended up at JoAnn's. I had to replace my rotary cutting mat, scissors, and get some stuff to make a neck purse for my iphone (pictures to come...).

Today this is what we did -

I tried to flash a certain someone as we passed the state liquor stores -

blogger-image-373348436.jpg

But we just weren't in New Hampshire for long enough - 30 minutes max before we saw this

blogger-image-596030317.jpg

blogger-image--1692662037.jpg

not the best pictures but considering I was taking them with my phone in a moving vehicle....

I have to say the drives are starting to blend together or I was just really out of it this morning. For some reason, we don't make coffee on hitchup days. Frankly, they are the days I need them the most!

Sorry you missed out on visiting Boston, Nicki. I was looking forward to pictures and a report. At least I won't have to study up for a pop quiz! :))

I could ask Lou to do a pop quiz on Boston......

I was looking forward to your Boston report too! Hope you make it back.

I hope we make it back too!

Five

Well if you count the Airstream as a place. I have lived in five too. Louisiana, Texas, New Jersey, Oklahoma and the Airstream....

Questionnaire (NOT a POP Quiz)

1. What should one always make sure they have before starting the Jr Ranger Booklet?

2. What is the one thing that impressed my kids the most about Acadia?

3. If you suffer from motion sickness in a truck should or shouldn't you eat before heading on the curvy roads?

4. What is your picture of Acadia national park?

5. How many miles is a good hike?

hmmm, good question. I'm not sure.

I'll have to ask Starla how far it is from my regular parking area to the other end of the mall & back...

1. What should one always make sure they have before starting the Jr Ranger Booklet?

2. What is the one thing that impressed my kids the most about Acadia?

3. If you suffer from motion sickness in a truck should or shouldn't you eat before heading on the curvy roads?

4. What is your picture of Acadia national park?

1. a pencil

2.no clue

3.DON"T EAT

4.hmmm, my imagination has gone wild!

5.from my MH to Stef's punch bowl

1. What should one always make sure they have before starting the Jr Ranger Booklet? pen or pencil

2. What is the one thing that impressed my kids the most about Acadia? no clue

3. If you suffer from motion sickness in a truck should or shouldn't you eat before heading on the curvy roads? eat as much as possible

4. What is your picture of Acadia national park? no idea

5. How many miles is a good hike? 5-8 miles up and down a mountain

1. a pencil

2.no clue

3.DON"T EAT

4.hmmm, my imagination has gone wild!

5.from my MH to Stef's punch bowl

1. What should one always make sure they have before starting the Jr Ranger Booklet? pen or pencil

2. What is the one thing that impressed my kids the most about Acadia? no clue

3. If you suffer from motion sickness in a truck should or shouldn't you eat before heading on the curvy roads? eat as much as possible

4. What is your picture of Acadia national park? no idea

5. How many miles is a good hike? 5-8 miles up and down a mountain

Since Lou has been online and I assume had plenty of time to answer the questionnaire... so here we go.

1. a pen or pencil

2. The cruise ship in the harbor. Not the ship with sails and masts.. THE CRUISE SHIP!

3. hmmm... differing opinions. I would imagine that it differs from person to person but for me the motion sickness is worse if I have an empty stomach....

4. Doodle, please rain in your imagination before Stef gets online. We could be in a lot of trouble.

5. Nadine - 5-8 miles is more like a walk-a-thon. Doodle, I can't wait to do that hike!

Bar Harbor, ME-

We had a great brunch, of which I have no pictures for Dave, in this breakfast only place. We then walked across the street to the outfitters store so Shawn could try on some Vibram Five Finger shoes.

Not the ship that impressed my kids the most -

DSC_0079.JPG

The ship that impressed my kids. All I can say is thank goodness it wasn't a Disney Cruise Ship. We would have never made it out of the harbor.

DSC_0080.JPG

The view from the summit of Cadillac Mountain - (the highest elevations on the east coast without driving 20 miles inland.)

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG

Now for the mandatory Ranger Program. This one was a two mile hike through some diverse sights. We left from the Gorham Mountain parking lot and made our way down to Otter Point.

(Yes, my artsy fartsy hubby has the camera)

DSC_0163.jpg

There were about 100 pictures of water breaking over the rocks but it sure is purtty.

DSC_0208.JPG

Rocks on one side, old forest on the other. We found out that over 70% of Mt Desert (french pronunciation) Island, of which Acadia is part of, was burned by fire. This is one of the few remaining sections with the older spruce instead aspen and other new trees.

DSC_0229.JPG

We saw, sorry no picture, an eagle in flight.

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0244.JPG

Whew... we are done! Well except for that mile walk back to the parking lot.

Did you know that poison ivy will grow through asphalt? We saw little micro forests of it.

Did you know that not all Junior Ranger Badges require blood sweat and tears... from the parents? Number 20 was quite painless.

Did you know it's really hard to take pictures, in a car, driving around curves, going up and down, with a camera when you are trying not to throw up? I promise, it is difficult and I missed some beauties.

(Was that TMI?)

Did you know I have a hiking store addiction? I love those columbia sunscreen shirts. I also got me a new floopy hat ... suitable for social gatherings.