I read a story recently about how they determine the biggest caves after I saw another story about a new record largest cave being found in Vietnam. Apparently some people use length while others use depth, etc. So according to one group of scientists mammoth cave is the largest and another group believes it is the newly discovered cave in Vietnam. Interesting.

Anyway here is the Vietnam cave story with some pretty cool pics.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090724-biggest-cave-vietnam/

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The four of you, who will remain nameless, Cherie, Dave, Bob, and Bill, have taken a perfectly innocent TR and brought it down to the depths of depravity and vulgarism that is beneath even the four of

I think I can help out here. I'm not real strong in my Russian, but I do believe it translates to "hey, the f*ing dog pooped in the trailer and I'm out of vodka."

Looks like a good option also! Thanks!!

I read a story recently about how they determine the biggest caves after I saw another story about a new record largest cave being found in Vietnam. Apparently some people use length while others use depth, etc. So according to one group of scientists mammoth cave is the largest and another group believes it is the newly discovered cave in Vietnam. Interesting.

Anyway here is the Vietnam cave story with some pretty cool pics.

http://news.national...t-cave-vietnam/

I also found articles on the vietnam cave. They rank them on length, depth, and largest chambers.....If you go to the NPS website, they are very specific in saying that Mammoth is the LONGEST cave. They measure it by miles.

By the way, in the three of caves I have mentioned in this post (Mammoth, Jewel and Wind Cave) they do not believe they have finished with exploration. Sometimes they have to weigh effects of exploration against potential harm. For instance, at Wind Cave they have reached a chamber of water so pure that they were, as of last July, unsure if they would pursue exploration past that lake. They do not want to introduce contaminants to the water.

I went to a cave called "The Lost Sea" when I was a kid. I believe it was in Tennessee somewhere close to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. It was pretty cool.....we took a boat ride inside the cave in a glass-bottom boat so you could see fish, etc. I remember loving that little side trip. I need to dig out the pics at my parents house. I wonder if you can still do that? Might be worth a detour sometime on the way south with DW and the kids. I would definitely like to see Mammoth Cave too.

Great update, Nicki. For the record this is as closest to cave exploration as I will ever get!

oh you betcha! ^^^ what she said ^^^

Cool. Thanks for the info Nicki. This TR is very informative. Good stuff!

thanks

Great update, Nicki. For the record this is as closest to cave exploration as I will ever get!

honestly, it's not that bad...

I went to a cave called "The Lost Sea" when I was a kid. I believe it was in Tennessee somewhere close to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. It was pretty cool.....we took a boat ride inside the cave in a glass-bottom boat so you could see fish, etc. I remember loving that little side trip. I need to dig out the pics at my parents house. I wonder if you can still do that? Might be worth a detour sometime on the way south with DW and the kids. I would definitely like to see Mammoth Cave too.

it is pretty cool and they offer several types of tours

oh you betcha! ^^^ what she said ^^^

oh, I'll just get a bottle of rum and threaten to take you for a drive while towing a massive trailer. You will follow me anywhere just to avoid that.

Same here. My claustrophobia would go into overdrive.

actually very few of the rooms were small.... many of you could fit a large house in. At least on the historic tour....

Spelunking is my life.

That's a bunch of crap. I just wanted to use the word in a sentence at least once in my lifetime where it actually made some sense.

you get an up arrow for the use of spelunking >:D

I really enjoyed my visit to Mammoth Cave last May. We took one of the "mild" tours that were a couple hours long with just a few steps. It was a very nice visit.

They have a tour for just about everyone

Very cool Nicki! I enjoy reading about your adventures.

where ya been... you have been awol....... :bighug:

Started reading this TR last night and took a few more hours tonight to get to this point. Really enjoying it. I grew up in Arlington and once, a cousin and I walked up the stairs of the Washington Monument. Set in the outside walls of the stairwell are stones and placques from a lot of the states ( do not have a clue as to how many states) My memory is that some of them are on the tacky side...but we still had fun.

Was a long hike up those stairs, most people rode the elevator. We were beat at the top and when the time came to head down, we took the elevator also. It's a neat memory and took place about 60 years ago. Hard to believe the memory is so fresh, thanks Nicki for the reminder.

Started reading this TR last night and took a few more hours tonight to get to this point. Really enjoying it. I grew up in Arlington and once, a cousin and I walked up the stairs of the Washington Monument. Set in the outside walls of the stairwell are stones and placques from a lot of the states ( do not have a clue as to how many states) My memory is that some of them are on the tacky side...but we still had fun.

Was a long hike up those stairs, most people rode the elevator. We were beat at the top and when the time came to head down, we took the elevator also. It's a neat memory and took place about 60 years ago. Hard to believe the memory is so fresh, thanks Nicki for the reminder.

I wanted so badly to go up the elevator! The stairs, well we had done a lot of walking already with much more to go. At least we got to view if from the outside!

Way to keep earning the arrows Lou!

Lou needs more arrows... where?

where ya been... you have been awol....... :bighug:

Thanks for the hug! I haven't been awol, just busy as a one legged man in a sh*t kicking contest.

That wet stuff that falls daily in Florida is what we like to call "Liquid Gold" in our business. When we do get a break from that, we're boating, hanging in the pool, cook -outs.....summer stuff.

That's why June, July and most of August is off the table for planning trips.

But I'm here, even if it's just to pop in for a quickie. ^_^

Thanks for the hug! I haven't been awol, just busy as a one legged man in a sh*t kicking contest.

That wet stuff that falls daily in Florida is what we like to call "Liquid Gold" in our business. When we do get a break from that, we're boating, hanging in the pool, cook -outs.....summer stuff.

That's why June, July and most of August is off the table for planning trips.

But I'm here, even if it's just to pop in for a quickie. ^_^

so you've been lurking looking for quickies.....

We love Mammoth Cave...have visited twice. Both times we went around Halloween and stayed at the Jellystone in Cave City for their Halloween weekends. In any case, the tours are a lot of fun and there are a wide variety of them depending on the tourists desires and abilities. We went one year when INC was quite pregnant with our 4th daughter. And then the next year when our daughter was a baby and in a carrier. No problems either time...but we didn't do the tours where you have to crawl along like a snake to fit through tight passages. That would not be for me.

We love Mammoth Cave...have visited twice. Both times we went around Halloween and stayed at the Jellystone in Cave City for their Halloween weekends. In any case, the tours are a lot of fun and there are a wide variety of them depending on the tourists desires and abilities. We went one year when INC was quite pregnant with our 4th daughter. And then the next year when our daughter was a baby and in a carrier. No problems either time...but we didn't do the tours where you have to crawl along like a snake to fit through tight passages. That would not be for me.

We managed one tour but will likely be in the area for a few weeks so maybe another is on the agenda. We don't do the crawling or lantern tours either.

We have other exciting things to talk about... as soon as DH writes the post....

This Ones For the Boys & Lady Gearheads too!

First, I have to fess up. The girl and I copped out of going to this one. I like a good (funny episode) of Top Gear UK & US but other than that... in a non-fulltime rving mode, all I need is a five speed on the floor with a big enough backseat for MY kids. So it was just the boys. My husband is light on words when it comes to blog posts and I wasn't there to get you the normal amount of trivia....

Welcome to Rebel's Boys' Tour of The National Corvette Museum -

Roy Orbison's red 1967 Corvette Stingray on display.

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

Awesome 1963 Split Window Coupe

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0062.JPG

A Indy Concept Car from the 1980's

DSC_0066.JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

DSC_0082.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

As I said, DH is light on words. However, most mean would appreciate that so they could just stare & drool at the pictures...

Gentlemen, Start Your Drooling -