We try to wear flip flops around camp. Those can stay outside in the rain.

Regular shoes get kept with the clothes, and are put on if we are heading to a park, and then taken off back at camp.

Flip flops wouldn't be a good idea at a real campground with rocks and such, but they're fine at the Fort.

TCD

yeah what he said, except it's sandals for around the fort.

My daughter and I bought a plastic shoe hanger from Wal-Mart for our TT. It is 4 slots wide, and about 6 feet tall. We hung it on the wall just inside the door, using velcro on the top and bottom. The shoes all go in there, where they won't get the wall wet or dirty (because the back of the hanger is solid plastic). The floor under it is not carpeted, so there's no problem if they drip just a bit. If they are very wet at all they get put in the tub overnight.

It holds all the shoes, flip-flops, and crocs for our family of 5. When you come in, you take shoes off immediately and put them in the hanger. That keeps them all out of the way, so we aren't tripping over them, provided the kids remember to hang them up. When dirt or sand starts to collect in the shoe slots we take it off the wall, take it outside, and shake it upside down.

I'm the only anti-flip flop person in my house, so the rest of them except Anna all wear those dastardly things and leave them outside. I wear sandals or sneakers. The sandals stay outside; the sneakers go in and get stowed in my closet.

So overall...most of our shoes when camping are plastic and stay outside.

We have a covered box that we keep under the MH. We also have a hanging shelf (like the shoe holders, but bigger) and it is hung from a removeable pole in the shower. Since my granddaughter is the only one that uses the bathtub (we use the comfort station at The Fort) it doesn't even have to be removed. Also, we renovated the back of our MH and put in a cubby that holds shoes. I tend to overpack in the shoe area and we usually travel with 4 adults. Sincer our MH is older, there isn't as much storage as the new units.

I don't want to dump on crocs but when I had to take my DD to the pediatrist. He asked if she wore crocs. I said no she wears flip flops and I a knowledged their jack of support for Playing in. He said well at least it's not crocs. He smiled and said. "they are going to put my kids through college". That kind of gave me a lot to think about.

Btw after reading these posts I think a box with a lid for us.

I typically just leave mine outside the camper by the step as long as the awning is up, but I make sure I shake them out in the morning just in case something has crawled in there overnight. If it's wet and raining, I'll just throw them in a plastic Wal-Mart/Publix bag and stick them inside the door. I have a zero tolerance policy for shoes inside the camper.

And idea that won't work for everyone and doesn't work for us now... We had a Cougar TT that had storage under the back corner bunk that could be accessed from the outside storage door. The guy who owned it before us bought a cabinet door and added access from the inside. So, that was our storage area for shoes. We miss it.

Just a heads up for all of you people who do not live in Florida and visit....

If you have your shoes in a dark area (like a container) or if you leave your shoes outside for the night in the summer, please make sure you take your shoes and shake them out before putting them on. Scorpions are known to hide in shoes and love dark, warm, moist places.

Scorpions are in Florida? I thought I only had to worry about those things out West. Great. One more thing for me to have a phobia about. Guess I better start a spreadsheet for my phobias.

Yes, Virginia, Florida has scorpions. However, according to University of Florida Extension Entomologists, none of them are able to produce a fatal sting. The two you might encounter at The Fort (the other one in Florida crawls only around Collier, Miami-Dade, and Monroe counties) are the

Florida Bark Scorpion:

MVC-224F.JPG

and the Hentz Striped Scorpion:

c_hentzi2.jpg

My shoes have always stayed inside next to the door b/c I was afraid of finding a spider or snake curled up inside. Thanks for giving me yet another scary critter to worry about now guys... :panic:

They certainly wont kill you but i am sure being stung by waking them up by shoving your toes in their face is not you cup of tea either. If you are goibg to leave your shoes outside....shake them out before shoving your feet in your shoes....thats all lol