"Prelude to the Dream Trip" Report

So I decided to go back into the archives and pull some thoughts and pics from our last trip in February 2011 and create a "prelude" trip report.

Our next trip is in February 2013 and we will be staying at the Fort for 5 nights and then BLT for 8 nights.

The next trip after that is December 2013 and we will be staying at the Fort for the entire trip!! Yay me!!

Since HS has been celebrating Star Wars Weekends and George Lucas thought it was okay to make prequels to the original Star Wars trilogy, I thought I would get a bit of practice on this trip report thing. Therefore, I am starting a trip report from our last trip as a fun prelude to our next trip.

Fair warning, I was not an official fiend when we took the last trip because I did not realize what happened at Voldemort and only found FF in April this year. So I did not take pictures with the intention of creating a TR, or I may have taken more. At Voldy, I was almost strictly a lurker.

So here goes with my first TR ever and I hope the fact that it is going backward does not make it too boring.

We drove from home near Ann Arbor, MI to Athens, TN on day one. We stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn after driving from about 8 am until 8 pm. We would have made it to south of Atlanta at minimum except we ran into a nasty snowstorm and people were running off the road left and right; literally about every 100 yards or so. Apparently, they don't ever get snow in Tennessee I was thinking to myself.

Honestly, I would have probably just kept driving if it was just me but I didn't want DW, DD2, and DS5, to either get hurt or have to hear me weave a tapestry of obscenities due to the idiot drivers around me, so we stopped.

We got up bright and early and low and behold, one of the tires on the trusty Chevy Traverse (I hate this car....I like my truck) had a flat tire. Not surprising to say the least. Luckily their was a Wal-Mart about 1/2 mile away. We got the tire fixed up and were on our way by 930. The people at Wal-Mart were about the nicest people I have ever met......that would not have been fixed so quickly in my neck of the woods.

Now, I have to take you back to my childhood and explain my family's issues with driving to Florida.

When I was about 7 or 8, I looked out the back window of our van (aka the family truckster) and saw the PUP leaning on an angle and then realized that we were dragging it on the axle on the driver's side, because there was no wheel. We were driving through the bowels of Cincinnati during that incident.

On two other occassions the truckster died while driving through Kentucky and Georgia, and we spent an extra day on the road.

On the way back from Florida, when I was eighteen, my brother and I had our car die, due to some computer chip failure, and were stuck in Cleveland, Tennessee for 4 days.

That all being said, when I found the flat tire on the current trip and it was fixed in only about an hour, I felt like the heavens were shining down on me.

When we got to Florida, we made the obligatory stop at the welcome center for the orange juice; which the kids love as much as I do.

f2f869b9.jpg

Next, arrival at BLT (we did not stay at the Fort this trip) and Magic Kingdom!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, no, no, Aaron, take it back.

Gutta meet the dancing machine. Putting aside a little WDW bus with his name on it.

I like how you jumped in with both feet into an unknown board as if you've been here all along. It says a lot about you and FF.Net. Glad you're here. Beat you, maybe not, annoy you, I can do that. Tha

So here goes with my first TR ever and I hope the fact that it is going backward does not make it too boring.

We drove from home near Ann Arbor, MI to Athens, TN on day one.

Gee, I thought it was going start more like this. "And we got home at 8 pm after driving from Athens, TN. The day before we had driven from WDW to Athens, TN." Oh you didn't mean that kind of backwards. Where you driving backwards, that would be interesting. :)

This is going to be fun!!

I sure hope so!

Gee, I thought it was going start more like this. "And we got home at 8 pm after driving from Athens, TN. The day before we had driven from WDW to Athens, TN." Oh you didn't mean that kind of backwards. Where you driving backwards, that would be interesting. :)

Well I have seen Cars but I am not as good as Mater driving backwards so this trip is actually being done in the normal fashion! The TR however is reaching back in time, but without the Delorean or the mad scientist.....plus I don't think I ever hit 88 mph.

And I was thinking this was going to be about Tony Stewart, Eldora, and Kyle Busch winning again....

But NOOOOOO, it about WDW and not even the Fort.......

Hmmmmph, I call bait and switch!!!!!

:rofl2: :heart: :rofl2:

Well if you must, continue..........WELL? Where is the next update?!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

:clint:

Edited to correct spelling, why I don't know, Jeffypoo has it quoted below....

:beer:

Edited by SCTigerCock...Genia

And I was thinking this was going to be about Tony Steward, Eldora, and Kyle Busched winning again....

Well if you must, continue..........WELL? Where is the next update?!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Yeah doesn't look like he is sailing on the Dream either. :)

Can't wait to read more!!!

Thanks Carol. I hope it will be entertaining.

And I was thinking this was going to be about Tony Stewart, Eldora, and Kyle Busch winning again....

Edited to correct spelling, why I don't know, Jeffypoo has it quoted below....

:beer:

Update will be forthcoming...issues with my photobucket account at the moment.

I figured I may catch some of the Nascar fans with the title. Glad to know it worked!

Yeah doesn't look like he is sailing on the Dream either. :)

"Prelude to the Dream Trip" Report......it could have stated "Trips" . I called it that because I love the Fort and the next two trips we get to stay at the Fort.

Hope you continue to tag along.

After we arrived at BLT, I went to check-in but a room was not ready yet, so they said they would text me when it was ready. We went next door to the Contemporary and ate luch at the Contempo Cafe.....sorry Dave no food pics. We watched the monorails bc their is something awe inspiring about the 35 mph speed demons! Soon thereafter, the front desk called and stated our room was ready. We got settle in our room and I took some pics and video before I made the all important trip to Publix to stock the place with food. We had a tenth floor, lake view room.

ACIPHONETHRU2-24-11057.jpg

ACIPHONETHRU2-24-11058.jpg

This was the view from the balcony looking to the right:

ACIPHONETHRU2-24-11061.jpg

This was the view looking to the left:

ACIPHONETHRU2-24-11060.jpg

After I got back from Publix and the kids finished a short nap, we walked the skybridge to the Contemporary and hopped the monorail to the Poly to just walk around and get an all important picture:

ACIPHONETHRU2-24-11018.jpg

After checking out one of the shops and walking the grounds a bit, we headed back to BLT on the monorail, because it was Super Bowl Sunday and we had a game to watch! We ate pizza and watched the game, but we took an intermission and changed the channel when it was time for Wishes:

ACIPHONETHRU2-24-11083.jpg

ACIPHONETHRU2-24-11080.jpg

ACIPHONETHRU2-24-11074.jpg

Not the greatest of pictures I know.....but what do you expect from an IPHONE 3?

After the game, the kids went to bed and mommy and daddy had a drink on the balcony.

The game if you do not recall ended with the Packers beating the Steelers 31-25 in Dallas at the Jerry Dome.

More BLT pics and hopefully first trek to MK in next update.....either my laptop is on the fritz or photobucket is. I hope to get another update in today at some point.

Also, I said we weren't staying at the Fort. I didn't say we didn't go to the Fort. :wave1:

:rofl2: Like Genia, I thought you went to the race in Eldora. Silly girls!

Can't wait to hear the rest!!

I did catch the "truckster" reference.

"Clark we can't leave Aunt Edna on the patio!"

"Would you prefer I slip her in the night deposit box at the funeral home?"

Good stuff! :))

:rofl2: Like Genia, I thought you went to the race in Eldora. Silly girls!

Can't wait to hear the rest!!

I did catch the "truckster" reference.

"Clark we can't leave Aunt Edna on the patio!"

"Would you prefer I slip her in the night deposit box at the funeral home?"

Good stuff! :))

My older brother and I called it that because he would hook up the PUP to the van and then drive in the far left lane the entire way from Flint, Michigan to Disney World and then get all pissed when people would get on his arse.....he'd let them by and then he would pass them again....and this game would go on for sometimes hours. (This was aprapoe since Clark Griswold did this same thing in the sequel "Christmas Vacation".)

"I'm gonna get around this egg timer" "Gonna burn some dust here, Eat my rubber."

Plus he hated the truckster but took care of it like it was his baby. "Russ, don't eat the truckster."

We figured he must have been day dreaming about Christie Brinkley or something to drive 55 in the fast lane all day.

Great start!

I actually had a lime green ford truckster just like the one in Vacation....way back in the 80's and we took a spontaneous trip to Disney World with my parents, my sister and her three little ones, my youngest DD and me all in the family truckster. My Mom's name is Edna. That was one crazy trip. My oldest was performing at Epcot in a dance show for thanksgiving and we all decided to jump in the truckster to go and watch her.

Here is one more from inside the room:

aaaba0a9.jpg

Off to the Magic Kingdom on day one.....I must confess we went to MK in the morning and evening the first full day, so I have no idea if these next pics are from the AM or PM for the most part but I will try to put them in the right order.

73a03a1a.jpg

We started with Dumbo which DD loves:

8af64fed.jpg

We moved on to the speedway which my son loves:

0a98ebb9.jpg

The speedway and dumbo became a theme throughout or stay....we must have rode them a gazillion times...

Next up was the Carousel which I truly enjoyed with my daughter. My son did not want to ride it because it was too much of a kiddie ride (he was 5 at the time), and DW doesn't ride anything that spins.

2ac2c012.jpg

Next, we hit Small World, Philharmagic, and Winnie the Pooh.

Then it was on to ride POTC, where we met a pirate outside:

0b97f85a.jpg

Pirate Goofy was tickling DS and really "Goofing" around with him. We just happened to stumble across Goofy and there was nobody in line to see him so the kids got to spend a few minutes playing around with him.

We then ate lunch (which we brought with us in a small cooler bag) while watching the castle show and then caught the street party parade where I got my groove on with DD.....sorry no pics of me.....thank God. I did get a pic of DD and Dale.....

fb9bf691.jpg

DD soon came out of her shell and was busting a move with Dale on the hub street for a few minutes......she still loves the song.....I have more pics of her watching the same parade later in the trip.

After the parade it was time for the kids to take a nap so we headed back to BLT. The kids napped and we watched the boats and relaxed on the balcony. When the kids got up, we fed them dinner in the room and then headed back to MK.

When we returned to MK, we got some popcorn on the way in (standard) and ate it while walking up main street. We rode Dumbo first:

15bcff5e.jpg

I decided I "had" to get photos of the fantasyland expansion construction while up on dumbo.

bf421a9e.jpg

ad40f9d3.jpg

Continued in next update

So I saw this sign advertising the expansion on the wall the first time around on Dumbo:

8286ed6d.jpg

I quickly got the camera out to take a picture....I snapped the photo just in time to be photobombed?

ea8768cc.jpg

The guy looks like he is looking right at me and waving. I thought it was pretty funny. I think I would recognize that guy from the photo if I ever saw him again.

Next we rode the race cars and tea cups again. DW rode with DD on the speedway and I rode with DS. Our car kind of petered out on the final turn and barely made it back to the starting grid.......a CM noticed that and let us get right in another car and ride around again! DS thought he was getting the royal treatment. This time we had a car much faster than the ones on the tracks next to us and we were "passing" everyone which DS thought was awesome.

Next we went to Buzz and got fast passes before moving on to the Laugh Floor which we all love. TCD was not that guy. Apparently he was not there that day. Some guy still was supposed to buy us churros though but I never got mine. Not sure what gives? My son gave me a joke to text in for Mike's nephew and it was picked! He loved that he and his joke were recognized by Mike's nephew.

We rode Buzz Lightyear afterward (while Dw waited with DD). My DS was a natural and proudly proclaimed that we were galactic heroes when we met back up with DW and DD.

Afterward, we had some more popcorn, from the cart near Space Mountain and then decided to get on the Carousel of Progress, which we all know and love. I mean the kids just love it....not sure what the deal is, but I guess I loved it when I was a kid too.

46efa7d9.jpg

We looked in some of the shops on the way back down main street and then went to the monorail station for our ride back to BLT. Guess what pulled in right as we got to the gate?

b423e2d6.jpg

9f20155e.jpg

Tron-o-rail!!

d73bb1cb.jpg

I have never seen Tron and neither had the rest of my family but it was cool nonetheless.

Tomorrow we would be off to DHS!

All aboard!! (CHOO CHOO SOUL)

Chugga Chugga Psh, Chugga Chugga Ah

waiting. for the next update

done

You had to go there didn't you....You JUST HAD TO GO THERE!!!! :smartass:

I guess I didn't know you were a Steelers fan, but I have no sympathy for I am a lifelong Lions fan. :flush2:

Great start!

I actually had a lime green ford truckster just like the one in Vacation....way back in the 80's and we took a spontaneous trip to Disney World with my parents, my sister and her three little ones, my youngest DD and me all in the family truckster. My Mom's name is Edna. That was one crazy trip. My oldest was performing at Epcot in a dance show for thanksgiving and we all decided to jump in the truckster to go and watch her.

I think the fact that your mom's name is Edna makes it downright awesome that you were in the truckster. :rofl3:

My dad did not actually have a truckster. That is just what we called his 1980 Chevy full size blue/silver two tone van with custom checkered curtains made by my mom. :bugeyes:

OK, I'm in.

Props to you for writing a trip report. You are off to a great start!

I have said before that as much as I want to not like BLT, I have to admit that it is a very nice looking building, and the rooms look pretty sweet too.

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

TCD

Thanks TCD! It was hard to believe I could like something like BLT too, but when we bought DVC we chose that for the proximity to MK, and the ability to monorail to the other MK resorts and take a boat to the Fort. We are now trying to get things figured out so we can buy a PUP and camp more also. For the next two trips we are using a PUP from FortCamperRental.com. (shameless Fiend plug) They are so reasonable I think pulling a PUP from Michigan doesn't make any sense right now. I think as time goes on, we will continue to mostly do split stays between the Fort and BLT, but mix in a Fort only trip once in awhile like we are doing in December 2013. None of us have ever seen WDW when it is all decked out for Christmas.

The rooms at BLT are big and very nice. I love watching the boats from the balcony and hearing all the ambient sounds like the train whistle from the MK. We like it (as we did the cabins at FW) for the extra bedroom and the kitchen. We eat most of our meals outside the parks.

I guess I didn't know you were a Steelers fan, but I have no sympathy for I am a lifelong Lions fan. :flush2:

The Lions

June Bug

What next you pull for Charlotte Bobcats too?

:rofl3:

The Lions

June Bug (Two-time Busch Series Champ, Daytona 500 Champ)---------------Fixed

What next you pull for Charlotte Bobcats too?

:rofl3:

Wolverines (1989 Champs) Irish, and Pistons(89, 90, 04 Champs) in basketball so not as bad as the Lions. I could never root for the Bobcats because I can't stand Michael Jordan.....sorry Tar Heels and Bulls fans. He is about as good a NBA executive as Isiah Thomas.

I'll cover my other favorites here too for S&Gs....Detroit Tigers (84 Champs), Wolverines Football (97 Champs), Irish Football (88 Champs), Braves (95 Champs), Red Wings (97, 98, 02, 08 Cup Champs).

So you can see the Lions are really dragging down the average.

I am in! We were at BLT in February of 2011 also, but at the end of the month. We had lake view, loved sitting on the balcony watching the boats come and go :)

Glad to have you here DVCC! Watching the boats come from across the lake while drinking my coffee in the morning became a favorite pastime. I never knew where the boats were actually coming from until Lou explained it and then I looked on google maps per his direction. Pretty cool stuff. I don't know what is is but I love Disney transportation; boat, bus, or monorail.....good times.