The wife and I have been talking about our upcoming trip plans. The original plan was for me, my dad, and our girls to head out for a week at the Fort during Thanksgiving. My wife, baby, and dad's GF were going to fly in on Wednesday, since they can't take an entire week off during that time. We would then stay until Sunday and then all head out.

So now we are talking about postponing until after the first of the year. My wife and dad's GF can take off more vacation after the first year. This makes a January or February trip a lot more appealing. I think we all would like to be at the Fort during Thanksgiving again, but I would like for the women folk to able to stay the whole time.

So if we decide to postpone, then we need to decide on when to go. I think sometime before March would be best...I don't want to wait too long before going. The potential dates would be the first two weeks in January or a week in February. My work schedule would allow the first 2 weeks in Jan, but only a week anytime else. Obviously, the first two weeks in January look better to me.

So if we decide on January I don't expect to be able to get Fort ressies starting on the 1st. I hear that is a very busy time at the Fort and parks. I do think that later in the week or that weekend would be easier to get. My thought was to leave home on 12/31 and head out for some intermediate destination (from N. AL) for 3 or 4 nights then check into the Fort. The benefits to this plan would be mainly cost and seeing some different things. We could stay 3 nights at a FL state park for basically one night at the Fort.

To recap this convoluted and rambling post would you

1. keep the original Fort T-giving trip?

2. go for 5 or 6 nights in Feb?

3. brave New Years crowds and try for all 12 nights at the Fort?

4. camp for a few nights on New Years somewhere nice and then do 8 or 9 nights at the Fort?...if so I need some recommendations on a SP or equivalent (I was thinking St Joseph Peninsula SP)

Thanks!

3. brave New Years crowds and try for all 12 nights at the Fort?

It's a misconception that because of New Years, WDW is very busy during the first two weeks in Jan.

It's actually one of two slowest times of the year. That's why they have the WDW Marathon during the first week, to bring in people to take up the slack.

The concern might be the weather. It's a crap shoot as far as January weather. Last year was great. The year before, not so great. Pack winter jackets, gloves, and hats for everyone just in case.

If I could only go to WDW one time during the year, it would have to include days during the Christmas season.

Some thoughts...

How the Christmas break works for most schools this year will determine how busy New Years really is. With it on a Tuesday, not sure if that means the kids are out of school that full week as well as the week before for Christmas. If they are, then that week is likely to be busy too.

If not... Lou's right, crowds drop off to super low levels after New Year's and decorations usually stay up for at least a part of that first week (big plus). Downside to that is that is also the time when Disney tends to do a lot of refurbs.

The problem I see with your Thanksgiving trip is that Weds-Sun are the busiest days of that week. It's not Christmas/Spring Break crowds, but it's busy. Plus side is that most decorations are up and Candlelight Processional usually starts the Friday after Thanksgiving. Down side is that there will be no MVMCP during that time period (if that's something you're interested in).

Personally I'd do January. Weather in both Jan and Feb can be iffy, but I'd rather take the chance and go for the low crowds and longer trip.

Our kids start on the 3rd. I hope they don't give us any problems about pulling the kids out for 7 days.

We haven't had any issues with pulling them out for 5 days at Halloween YET, but of course I give them the whole.. "this is the only time of year we can go as a family.. blah blah blah speech..." I expect this will change as my kids get older but right now I'm enjoying the fact that we can "sneak" out mid year for a week.

• 1 month later...

Arghhhhhh! Now my wife can't get off for New Year's because she will have a bunch of reports due at that time for her new position at work. Looks like we will be forced to either go in early Dec 12 or Feb 13. I was really looking forward to spending 10 days there at New Year's