would you stay at KOA to save money, lots of money

I agree with many others that you have made the right call. The last time we visited the Fort we just didn't want the magic to end. We had a day left on our tickets, but there was no room at the inn to stay an extra night. We booked a night at a KOA, got up early, hitched up and drove to MK. At the end of the day we headed for the KOA. It wasn't bad, but I can honestly say that I am glad we were only there one night. I dare say no other campground possesses the same caliber of people and magic. Staying at the Fort saved us a ton of money as we are a family of 5 and just can't do a "standard" room at a value resort without too much hassle. It also saved us huge on the food portion of our budget (we even packed lunches in a few days). The rest we just planned and saved for. It is so hard to get past the fact that once you arrive in Florida there seems to be an inverse relationship between time and money.

I don't know if it would be an option for you, but staying at the Fort during off season is really nice. I was there early November and loved it! I can't tell you what it meant to my children to get to play kickball with Chip and Dale while my dh set up the campsite. Now, that isn't a usual thing, but it is just the kind of pixie dust you hear about happening at FW.

Praying you have a wonderful trip!

While we will be going to the fort for the first time in December, we have been to WDW many times and have stayed at almost every on-site property plus visited the fort quite a bit. We don't see staying at the fort as a money saver, although this trip will be compared to other on-site properties we've stayed at, just that we really like to camp and have always wanted to stay there. Many years ago we were in Destin around Easter (we had just been to WDW the Thanksgiving before). Rain had set in and wasn't going away. After looking at the forcast, the front was stalled north of Ocala, so we packed up the pop-up in pouring rain and headed for Orlando with no reservations. Tried the fort but of course was full, got a res at KOA. Late that night when we pulled in our hearts dropped. It was a depressing place with rude service. Luckilly my wife secured a spot at Tropical Palms which we ended up enjoying quite a bit (this was probably 15 years ago). I don't recall the KOA but it was right off the interstate near WDW. Might be different now but back then just terrible. While there drove through FW and really wished we had been able to get a spot. Tropical Palms was nice, just not Disney.

If we are planning a trip to Florida we stay at the Fort when we are doing Disney, if we are there longer and want to do other things in the area we use the Thousand Trails park, We try to do TT 1st and save the Fort for the end of the trip, best way to end a trip.

We stayed at the KOA right by Disney one time for a trip to Orlando for a bowl game. It's hard to get a last minute reservation at the Fort over New Years, you know? Since we weren't doing Disney everyday, it wasn't bad. The sites are smaller, and there isn't much to look at, but we weren't there much. We did go to the parks 2 days, but we drove because the shuttle didn't work for us. I didn't have a bad experience, it just doesn't compare.

I hadn't stayed at the Fort since I was a kid, and after being there again this April, there's no way I would stay at that KOA again... unless it was just a bowl game again, and I couldn't get into the Fort. Now that our little guy is old enough to enjoy all the Disney magic, the ammenities are well worth the extra cost. Plus, we take breaks, so the boat to MK and free parking at the parks is huge for us. Not to mention... getting to watch the MK fireworks, better pool, Chip n Dale (and my 3 year old could do that every night), and I could go on.

We enjoyed the Fort so much that we're only going to the parks for a couple of days next time.

You can save a ton if you are feeding a whole family by eating at your sight at the Fort. For four of us is $70-$80 a meal to eat at a park. We eat pancakes and bacon $ 10.00 for breakfast PBJ and chips for lunch maybe $10.00 and hamburgers for supper $20.00 . saved us $ 80.00 right there that's almost a day at the Fort!and like the others said the Fort is just too darn cool to pass up on!

Liz, I see that this is your first trip to WDW, so I'm assuming that you'll be spending the vast majority of your time at the parks. If I needed or wanted to stretch my trip budget, I'd certainly consider staying off property. Thousands of people do it every day.

$700 extra for something that you won't be taking full advantage of may not be the wisest use of funds. If all you're going to be doing is sleeping and eating breakfast and or dinner there, that $700 savings is looking pretty good.

While everything that the previous posters wrote about staying at the Fort are absolutely true, it comes at a price.

As you will have a vehicle, just drive yourself and stay off those damn buses.

Learn the best way to get to the parks from whatever CG you'd stay at and you'll find that the difference between using the WDW buses or boats from the Fort as opposed to driving yourself is not that big a difference. In some cases it might even take less time.

I live about where you'd be staying off property, if I leave my house at the same time someone leaves their room or camp site in order to catch a bus to a park, we'll both arrive at the turnstiles at about the same time.

I've done it many, many times whenever I have to meet someone at a park.

One thing to keep in mind if you want to do the DDP is that you have to stay on property.

That said, if Lou's right and you plan to do a lot of park time and just basically sleep at your resort, then you might even want to look into a Value Resort. It will allow you to get the DDP, you can use Disney Transport and you will get to take advantage of EMH.

I'm not looking to sway anyone away from staying at the Fort, but sometimes you need to look at what kind of trip you are planning and what may work best for that all the way around.

You made the right call to stay at Fort wilderness. Just taking your kids to the camp fire to roast marsh mellows and watch the movie is worth it. Every time my little girl see's marsh mellows she tells me she wants to go hug Chip and Dale. (my little girl is almost 3)

I agree that there is a big price difference BUT. If you get tired in the afternoon you can easily return to your camp site a take a nap and then be ready to go back later. If you get hot in the afternoon, you can go back and jump in the pool and go back for the fireworks. You can save money by eating your meals at camp because transportation from the resorts to the campground is much easier. The time you spend waiting for ground transportation or getting to and from your car in the parking lot and then driving through congested Kissimee will take away several hours of your resort time. I,ve stayed at the Kissimee KOA twice over the years and found it had all the charm of a grass lot. The restrooms and facilities are normally clean but it is crowded. Finally I suggest that you can further save some money but not going to a park one or two days and enjoying the Fort for the entire day. I've camped at the Fort twice a year for many years and can't tell you when was the last time I've gone to EPCOT. I general, everyone will have a much more pleasant time if you are not rushed to get on as many rides as possible before the shuttle comes to take you back to camp. JMO. You'll have a good time either way.

I think it depends on who is going. Our last trip was done with 2 young kids and we stayed off-site and it was a royal PITA trying to get back mid-day with kids who were grumpy and in desparate need of naps and quiet time. If you have all adults or older kids who plan to go from rope drop to closing time then it's not so much of an issue.