Blood, Sweat, and Fiends: A Fort Fourth!

I see that you are digging for a post from me (pun intended). You neglected to mention the 9 fishing rods, 2 cane poles, 2 fans, castnet, buckets, enough extension cords to grab an open outlet at the Grand Floridian, my campfire/firepit chairs that you can't seem to keep your camo-wrapped buttocks out of (especially after you forgot or broke your anti-gravity lounger chair), crock pot, griddle, etc, etc. 4 days, baby, and it was worth the packing, and we never broke out the microwave.

Truth be told, I had such good memories that I had forgotten about the skeeters. Damn, them boys was ginormous. BTW, if any of you fiends happened upon some of them suckers flying haphazardly around the 1300 loop. That's where my brother and sister in law were staying. When they are camping, vodka flows continuously. As such, the skeeters in the 1300 loop were drinking bloody marys. When they hit the bug zapper they lit up like candles.

MD, I really appreciate your attention to detail and I promised myself that I would try to do the same during the next trip. And I am DEFINITELY going to take more photos.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe just a little. I need to set up another account just for TRs It may seem that way, but just because I was on the thread doesn't mean I was reading it. Nice detective work MD and nice job on the

Clairvoyance, it's a gift.

That’s the same expression I have on my face when starting a trip to the Fort. Enjoying the Trip Report. :)

Posted Images

Ok, you have totally redeemed yourself with this update!

Paul McCartney, Grateful Dead & The Brady Bunch. :thumbsup1:

That's a heck of a trailer Ben has, I'm sure I could stow away in there and he'd never notice. Of course, I'll have some brew with me, so he won't kick me out when he does finally spot me. I am not above bribing.

I'm not a heiny fan (Beer type, anyhow) I do enjoy the Lime A Ritas now and again, but I've not tried Magic Hat and we all know I'll try anything once.

I always look forward to your next update....which music? which beer?

I've been playing some old Paul McCartney and Wings music on Pandora lately as I cook. Brings me back to childhood working in the greenhouses on the farm during the spring.

We're so sorry, Uncle Albert. But we haven't done a bloody thing all day.

Anywho, loved the update. And I really like the look of the black decals on the pup with the truck. Very stylish!

I love me some Paul & Wings...I'm a true product of the 70's and that section of his catalog is really my favorite stuff.

Great update. It was #9 in my cooler that week as well. Only I ran out. And I heard rumor you were out cold when I was looping... next time I'll know that's exactly when I should stop by.

Yes, It seems everyone was out and about whence I snuck into my bunk...more on that in the TR!

Magic Hat #9 might as well have a Coleman logo on it because it is vital camping gear!

Great update!

Thanks for reading along!

Ben and my Mama would get a long well, she would love to have the trailer to take more stuff with her! The mosquitos were terrible, but I was so numbed from the heat they didn't bother me much!

Ben's easy to get along with. It's only taken me 22 years, but I finally get along with him!

Ok, you have totally redeemed yourself with this update!

Paul McCartney, Grateful Dead & The Brady Bunch. :thumbsup1:

That's a heck of a trailer Ben has, I'm sure I could stow away in there and he'd never notice. Of course, I'll have some brew with me, so he won't kick me out when he does finally spot me. I am not above bribing.

I'm not a heiny fan (Beer type, anyhow) I do enjoy the Lime A Ritas now and again, but I've not tried Magic Hat and we all know I'll try anything once.

I always look forward to your next update....which music? which beer?

Don't forget the smell... It's the sights, sounds, and smells...a sensory recall of a camping trip by an electronic friend. Trying to be as thorough as possible. You know the smells of the Fort...horses, tar, boat fuel exhaust, bus exhaust, chlorine, busy comfort station, sweaty tourist on a bus... and freshly lit charcoal! It's all part of the experience!

I see that you are digging for a post from me (pun intended). You neglected to mention the 9 fishing rods, 2 cane poles, 2 fans, castnet, buckets, enough extension cords to grab an open outlet at the Grand Floridian, my campfire/firepit chairs that you can't seem to keep your camo-wrapped buttocks out of (especially after you forgot or broke your anti-gravity lounger chair), crock pot, griddle, etc, etc. 4 days, baby, and it was worth the packing, and we never broke out the microwave.

Truth be told, I had such good memories that I had forgotten about the skeeters. Damn, them boys was ginormous. BTW, if any of you fiends happened upon some of them suckers flying haphazardly around the 1300 loop. That's where my brother and sister in law were staying. When they are camping, vodka flows continuously. As such, the skeeters in the 1300 loop were drinking bloody marys. When they hit the bug zapper they lit up like candles.

MD, I really appreciate your attention to detail and I promised myself that I would try to do the same during the next trip. And I am DEFINITELY going to take more photos.

LOL BassMaster! The vision of mosquitos drinking bloody marys and bursting into flames almost made me spit my coffee. :rofl3:

Yes, you did pack all that extra stuff that I failed to mention. There was some degree of superfluous (read: a lot!)

11 different fishing poles... You should stick with the Barbie and Spiderman poles, they catch all the fish!

And, a castnet? at the Fort? why not dynamite or lazers...really hedge your bets!

Honestly I love that you got my kids into fishing. My attention span is too short!

Yes, I do sit in your chairs. Because mine are always covered in your 79 different wet Gators towels!

I'm not even getting into the microwave discussion. I have a gas cooktop and a Paul Jr. grill. Food tastes better and is way more fun when there's fire involved. Ummm... crockpot was a good idea though.

We need a bug zapper...and vodka... I wanna try that!

And, a castnet? at the Fort? why not dynamite or lazers...really hedge your bets!

Are you saying he didn't carry the dynamite and lazers or just covering for him? All good fishermen carry those....... :beathorse:

We need a bug zapper...and vodka...

Duh.... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I wanna try that!

That and "Honey watch this...." normally preceeds the ER.

:clint:

Dynamite and Lasers.....suffice it to say, I own both.....left both at home. I did enough damage with the plastic worms and the small (bass) bite-sized bluegill's. Also caught a couple of catfish and a couple of turtles (they love that chicken skin).

You've heard Nate's lawnmower story :(

Last year I found him a T-shirt that says "I do all my own stunts"

Thank God we can laugh about it now.

Fall assorted 12 pack of Magic Hat on the list.....good call.

:jumpforjoy Very good!

I can at least come back to MD with my review of Magic Hat.

Hey John-

Good job launching your trip report just as I was leaving on a cruise.

I just had to catch up reading all 5 pages.

Where the heck are the photos of Ben's moustache?

Speaking of moustaches, it looks like Chris, the CM at the guard shack has finally trimmed his. Here's an older photo of Chris from the TCD archives:

Disney072.jpg

I loved the Brady Bunch photos. The last time I saw that episode, I loved how Mr. Howell stole the Brady's pop-up by driving off with the thing while it was still popped up!

That was awesome.

Anyhow, I'm back now, so bring it on!

TCD

Are you saying he didn't carry the dynamite and lazers or just covering for him? All good fishermen carry those....... :beathorse:

Duh.... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I read that to my wife, she cracked up! I do a lot of questionably dumb stuff, so she knows that we're usually inches away from the ER at almost any given time!

Hey John-

Good job launching your trip report just as I was leaving on a cruise.

I just had to catch up reading all 5 pages.

Where the heck are the photos of Ben's moustache?

Speaking of moustaches, it looks like Chris, the CM at the guard shack has finally trimmed his. Here's an older photo of Chris from the TCD archives:

Disney072.jpg

I loved the Brady Bunch photos. The last time I saw that episode, I loved how Mr. Howell stole the Brady's pop-up by driving off with the thing while it was still popped up!

That was awesome.

Anyhow, I'm back now, so bring it on!

TCD

Welcome back! Looking forward to hearing about the cruise!

Ben's photo is in the next update!

That's his name, Chris... Now if he could just find a hat that fit him properly! He's a great welcome committee!

I always loved that episode. It was a 2-3 parter. Most people only remember them camping at the floor of the Canyon and the Indians, and forget about Jim Backus and the ghost town part. They had a cool vintage PUP, and there's a photo coming up in the TR that shows a guy on our loop with almost the same model. That is what put it in my mind in the first place. I just had to find a spot, and that overflow shot of my rig provided the opening!

Fall assorted Magic Hat to be released August 1.

Just sayin.

Sounds like a Total Wine first day run to be sure.

So far I like most of their stuff, even the Elder Betty and Circus Boy, they have one fall brew I'm not crazy about, IPA On Tour, ultra-hoppy, tastes like shampoo. The moustache dug it though!

Looking for a Left Hand Brewing sampler. I made my own...more on that later!

So far I like most of their stuff, even the Elder Betty and Circus Boy, they have one fall brew I'm not crazy about, IPA On Tour, ultra-hoppy, tastes like shampoo. The moustache dug it though!

I agree with Stache. I liked all 4 brews out of last year's fall sampler. This year's is Hex, IPA, #9 and one to be announced Aug 1.

Looking for a Left Hand Brewing sampler. I made my own...more on that later!

Tease. Learning from TCD I see.

I agree with Stache. I liked all 4 brews out of last year's fall sampler. This year's is Hex, IPA, #9 and one to be announced Aug 1.

Tease. Learning from TCD I see.

I meant I made my own sampler pack, not made my own beer. There's two things I love that I won't try to make myself... Beer and Sushi.

Beer, because I'm not that patient, and Sushi...well, for obvious reasons.

MD, had you been around camp when I snatched that couple-pounder from the canal behind our loop, (instead of dole whipping with your family), you could have tried your hand at creating the first MD Bass Roll a la Fort. There is plenty of green, slimy algae at the bottom of the canals that resembles seaweed for garnish. You just need an extra large clump of wasabi to hide the flava; "Fiendishly delicious".

BTW - I am ashamed that my son and I haven't "done the Dole" yet. Give me time, I'll get there. Something to look forward to during the next 22 years, my friend.

MD, had you been around camp when I snatched that couple-pounder from the canal behind our loop, (instead of dole whipping with your family), you could have tried your hand at creating the first MD Bass Roll a la Fort.

Congratulations! Did it look like this, butthole and all? Although I guess this would make a catfish roll.

PICT0214.JPG