Blood, Sweat, and Fiends: A Fort Fourth!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe just a little. I need to set up another account just for TRs It may seem that way, but just because I was on the thread doesn't mean I was reading it. Nice detective work MD and nice job on the

Clairvoyance, it's a gift.

That’s the same expression I have on my face when starting a trip to the Fort. Enjoying the Trip Report. :)

Posted Images

Day Three continued:

Music: Electric Water Pageant

Drink: More Stout

Smell: Curry & Chocolate continued

I told you I’d be waiting at the door.

2012-07-06_14-57-59_743.jpg

With all of the other husbands. I noticed in every store, I hung out by the door.

And there was always four or five other dudes, waiting for the wives, just like me.

I think it’s two-fold.

First, you’re easy to find, in a central location that keeps you from having to sniff hand cream samples.

And two, you sort of play goalie, in the event one of the kids heads out of the shop without Mom!

After we got home I noticed the same phenomenon at the mall.

There I was, sat in the window at the front of Bath & Body Works with 3 other husbands.

Anyhoo… Next up was our regular stop at Ghirardelli’s for ice cream.

I lost my best shots of this stop to the Lego Death Star.

There was a disturbance in the Force, and I lost bitchin’ photos of 5 ice creams that would have had you licking the computer monitor.

But here’s the fam enjoying it.

2012-07-06_15-10-32_969.jpg

2012-07-06_15-10-38_537.jpg

Mine was weird. I was dreaming about it when I woke up, thought it was a sign.

Divine providence led me to order Chocolate ice cream with pineapple and peanut butter.

God is good, and led me to the path of awesomeness!

I knew it sounded weird. It’s now a staple of the trip roster.

The girls posed with their new wares from the mega wallet sucking store.

Annie, and the aforementioned cupcake cookbook.

2012-07-06_15-17-52_988.jpg

And, Gracie with her Mickey iPod case

2012-07-06_15-17-43_911.jpg

On to the last section of Marketplace before we bus on back to the Fort.

2012-07-06_15-51-27_737.jpg

Well, I alluded to Urban Tagging earlier in this here TR.

It’s time to splain Lucy.

It’s generally graffiti, but recently has taken on a more modern flair.

I mean who travels around with paint cans anymore?

My sister and brother-in-law own a really cool pizza bar on the beach.

It’s a high-end gourmet deal that is part miniature night-club, part Wolfgang Puck. Amazing food.

They have a video system with screens mounted inside rock textured walls that shows random pictures of guests that are eating there, interesting shots from past guests, and shots of urban tagging.

Meaning, shots of the logo in funny, absurd, or iconic places.

I took a bunch in DTD as well as the Comfort Station shot from earlier.

2012-07-07_10-40-13_951.jpg

Within about five to ten minutes of snapping the shots, guests could see them at the restaurant.

I gave a Slyce (that’s the name) koozie to Brandy.

She’ll be taking shots of the koozie in all sorts of places all over the country, and sending them in for all to see.

Kind of like Flat Stanley, if you know who he is!

Don’t worry, I didn’t pollute any of these sites, I just had a small corner of the backing torn off.

Just sticky enough to get the shot ninja-style and move on!

They’re all the same sticker!

2012-07-06_14-52-02_658.jpg

2012-07-06_15-41-31_115.jpg

2012-07-06_15-42-25_47.jpg

2012-07-06_15-47-31_268.jpg

2012-07-06_15-53-54_27.jpg

2012-07-06_15-58-01_546.jpg

2012-07-06_15-58-08_903.jpg

2012-07-06_15-49-55_525.jpg

2012-07-06_15-28-15_46.jpg

Amazing how they fit that whole huge build-a-car store that used to be in the Virgin location into a tiny section of team Mickey between the Golf and Tennis gear!

Time to head back for lunch and check on the BassMaster.

Excellent update to day la tres. You have also reminded me to start posing that Slyce logo myself. One more mental note. BTW, while you were porking out on Raglan chips, ice cream, etc, I was relaxing back at the site under that LARGE sport-brella that also fit nicely into Taylor the trailer, and was indulging in some chips and salsa with a side of Sam Adams and a Magic Hat for dessert. There was no need to check on me, but I appreciate your concern.

Pizza bar on the beach...3 of my favorite things in one place. Very cool!

I love Annie's face in the elephant picture. I can almost hear her saying "Oh no you didn't!" :nyd:

Cool update! Love Ghiradelli's and all the logo pictures!

We always seem to get those same seats because their always either out in the sun or rain. Tough to get a spot for 5 there!

I won't let you down, I swear :) I'm on it!

I'm counting on it! He's gonna get me some more to give out with this purpose!

Excellent update to day la tres. You have also reminded me to start posing that Slyce logo myself. One more mental note. BTW, while you were porking out on Raglan chips, ice cream, etc, I was relaxing back at the site under that LARGE sport-brella that also fit nicely into Taylor the trailer, and was indulging in some chips and salsa with a side of Sam Adams and a Magic Hat for dessert. There was no need to check on me, but I appreciate your concern.

You're exploits show up in the next update. Based on the time stamp, your pics match up with our DTD trip. So, we'll get to see how you got your FF name!

Pizza bar on the beach...3 of my favorite things in one place. Very cool!

I love Annie's face in the elephant picture. I can almost hear her saying "Oh no you didn't!" :nyd:

Stef, next time you're down this way, let me know, we'll take you over there. My next show there is going to be all Motown!

AGU!

Urban Tagging?

Never heard of it.

I guess I need to get out more.

But, I could have a lot of fun with something like that.

My kids always had the best Flat Stanley reports.

TCD

My daughter sent Flat Stanley to Puerto Rico, and all of my wife's relatives took him all over the island, plus one cousin worked for an airline and goy him on some cool parts of the globe!

Someone did a Flat Snarky in one of their TR's. That could be a cool ongoing thread of photos!

Day Three continued:

Music: Electric Water Pageant

Drink: More Stout

Smell: Burgers and Brats

Last we heard it was Day Three, which would make it Friday.

We were headed back to the Fort by bus.

One more shot before we hit the bus stop!

2012-07-06_16-00-16_107.jpg

The kids were beat. Gracie lends John a shoulder to relax on.

2012-07-06_16-32-09_941.jpg

Then he’s out!

2012-07-06_16-33-18_574.jpg

I noticed that on occasion, my camera/phone reacts to AC and gets fogged up.

Back to the cart and to the site.

2012-07-06_16-41-33_339.jpg

We love that little trip to DTD , and make it on each visit. One of the few times we leave the Fort at all!

Back at the site, we stumble upon Ben and Wiliam.

He’s camped out under a big sportbrella, in front of a fan, drinking Sam Adams. Yuck, he can have it!

They had spent the day roaming the canals in search of bass.

Apparently they found some.

Ben provided the next few photos to document their exploits!

The first shot is this!

2012-07-06_15-59-03_711_JUL6.jpg

I have no idea who the hell that is, but I’m assuming that they took this picture.

2012-07-06_16-31-48_217_JUL6.jpg

I also see that there is a cart parked firmly out of bounds!

Why am I the only one that gets chased and yelled at by the rangers and security?

They got another nice sized fish before they headed back to camp.

2012-07-06_17-17-12_39_JUL6.jpg

It was lunch time, so I fired up Paul Jr.

Today it was burgers and brats.

The burgers were Angus imported from Wal-Mart, better than expected!

2012-07-06_19-49-34_167.jpg

And the brats were Johnsonville Beef Brats

2012-07-06_19-49-41_143.jpg

Both were paired with a wonderful addition to our camping menu.

2012-07-06_19-49-53_987.jpg

Dear God, thank you for creating spicy pickles!

These were way more spicy than expected.

I can handle a high level of Scoville Units, but these guys have a lingering heat.

I think it has to do with the vinegar and light viscosity. Not for the faint of tongue!

And, finished with a well-dressed Heiny.

2012-07-06_19-50-32_628.jpg

Notice the proper color of Solo cup!

After lunch it was time to do a little looping, so we hit the road.

MetalWife had the camera while I drove, which was a good idea, otherwise we wouldn’t have had this shot!

2012-07-06_20-25-47_126.jpg

We were checking out the 2000 loop, and actually had to go back around the loop to get this photo.

2012-07-06_20-26-36_981.jpg

That was an entire entertainment system set-up on the picnic table.

All under the EZup, in front of the tent for all to see!

The funniest part is that they had a huge…gigantic… old school tube TV.

200lbs and maybe 3x3x3 feet.

Practical.

Personally, we’re fans of no TV during camping. We pack one in case of extreme rain or special event.

It was almost dark, Ben had the fire burning nicely, it was time for another round of BTS.

Ah, yes, the Beer Tasting Session ensues, and tonight, it was Stout.

Stout was basically invented out of necessity.

They used all the extra bits and sludge to create a thick brew that was fortified with more than usual of the barley, rice, hops, etc…

Each pint clocking in at a whopping 650 calories or so.

The intent was to create a beer for the workers that had little pocket money.

After work they had to decide to buy beer or food.

Guinness provided both in one.

That’s why there’s all those signs that say “Guinness is good for you!”

Who am I to argue?

On with a beer tasting that is delicious…and good for you!

Starting out with a classic. Murphy’s Irish Stout.

2012-07-06_20-26-39_187.jpg

In the widget can, Murphy’s could easily replace Guinness for me. Although they are pretty similar.

Next up was another stop into Left Hand Brewing with their Milk Stout.

2012-07-06_20-27-21_472.jpg

What a dream… If Ghirardelli made beer, it would taste like this.

I have to keep this one on special status only, otherwise I’d go all Violet from Willy Wonka.

Last stout stop is back to Athens, GA for more from Terrapin.

Tonight it was Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout.

2012-07-06_20-28-26_668.jpg

Compelling. Pretty sweet.

While most stouts imply a hint of chocolate, which I think is mental, due to color, this one blatantly has chocolate in it.

Novel, but not suited for frequent visits. Sort of a liqueur for beer drinkers!

The kids wanted to spend the evening around the Settlement.

So we hitched up the buggies and headed to the Bay Lake Riviera!

Annie rocks the hula hoop for a bit!

2012-07-06_20-56-17_49.jpg

Gracie digs into a game of checkers.

2012-07-06_20-56-38_474.jpg

And John 2 and I played horseshoes for quite some time.

2012-07-06_21-17-59_796.jpg

I was teaching him where to stand and how to get the right amount of flip and rotation on the shoe.

It was a cool moment and made me recall learning how to throw shoes with my dad!

We headed out to the beach for the EWP.

I know a lot of people think it’s outdated, trite, and kischy.

Therein lies the charm dear fiends!

I still like that it harkens back to a simpler form of entertainment.

A giant Lite-Brite set to primitive synthesizer sounds.

It’s free, and it parks in front of the Fort for a performance specifically for campers.

I like it!

Normally, we watch from the dock. Tonight the kids wanted to watch from the sand.

2012-07-06_21-56-15_175.jpg

You can see the SeaRaycer boats in front of us.

2012-07-06_21-56-54_75.jpg

The last shot of the EWP is my favorite, when they play “You’re A Grand Old Flag!”

2012-07-06_21-57-25_372.jpg

As mentioned in other TR’s, my kids are very patriotic.

Here’s Annie feeling the pride.

2012-07-06_21-58-01_194.jpg

On the way back in, John 2 and I hit the men’s room, and took the opportunity to show off our new shirts!

2012-07-06_22-10-15_788.jpg

Look what we saw at the payphone!

2012-07-06_22-12-36_266.jpg

Back to base camp to relax for a bit, and MetalDad disappears again into the comfort of the bunk.

Tomorrow’s a big day!

I know a lot of people think it’s outdated

Yup

I know a lot of people think it’s trite

Yup

I know a lot of people think it’s kischy.

Did you make that word up?

I still like that it harkens back to a simpler form of entertainment.

Ya, the 70s.

How's that 8 trac collection working out for you?

I've never tried the Angus burgers from Wally World. What the heck, I just might have to. They looked good.

Now those stouts do look interesting. The closest I usually come to drinking one is the occassional black and tan at our local pub. Goes really well with fish and chips. I'd be interested in trying some of those.

Slightly off-topic...but I thought of you yesterday evening. My wife and I stopped by a bluegrass festival that was going on in our town. Some great music and entertaining clogging. I think you would have enjoyed yourself.

Your fort trip is much like most of ours. No parks, mostly fort, lots of beer, maybe a trip to DTD. Lots of Pool, Settlement, Looping!

Thanks for the brief lesson on beer history. Never knew that, but it makes sense! My husband likes to say, "food has no beer value, but beer has food value"!

I, too enjoy the EWP. Even after seeing it umpteen times. If we're not out there, hearing the music from our site even makes me smile.

The 2000 loop is always good for some interesting views. I'll bet TCD has named many a real man of genius in that area.

I actually like the flip-flop shot. Because I get that it was taken while riding along on a GC at the fort in some cute flops!

Wow, those are huge fish. Bob really needs to go fishing with Ben and William!

I wish I were more adventurous when it comes to drinking beer, chocolate flavored sounds interesting.

Thanks for the EWP pictures, I never get tired of seeing them. :)

Thanks. It was funny, when I met all of you guys, I mentioned that ben was fishing and Bob said "Tell him don't bother!"

Must try chocolate beer! Where did you buy it? I've never seen that around here.

Good job on the boys fish!

The Terrapin line is available at Total Wine, not sure if they have one by you, there's one in stumbling distance from here!

Thanks! I have the same kind of luck you do! People everywhere doing stupid stuff and the PoPo comes after me!

My wife has a saying in spanish that loosely translates into "The devil's good luck"

Caught up.

Looking for more.

Another full day and a half, and saturday was killer!

I've never tried the Angus burgers from Wally World. What the heck, I just might have to. They looked good.

Now those stouts do look interesting. The closest I usually come to drinking one is the occassional black and tan at our local pub. Goes really well with fish and chips. I'd be interested in trying some of those.

Slightly off-topic...but I thought of you yesterday evening. My wife and I stopped by a bluegrass festival that was going on in our town. Some great music and entertaining clogging. I think you would have enjoyed yourself.

I love it! I went to a bluegrass festival locally not long ago. Have you checked out the new Punch Brothers record yet?

Your fort trip is much like most of ours. No parks, mostly fort, lots of beer, maybe a trip to DTD. Lots of Pool, Settlement, Looping!

Thanks for the brief lesson on beer history. Never knew that, but it makes sense! My husband likes to say, "food has no beer value, but beer has food value"!

I, too enjoy the EWP. Even after seeing it umpteen times. If we're not out there, hearing the music from our site even makes me smile.

The 2000 loop is always good for some interesting views. I'll bet TCD has named many a real man of genius in that area.

I actually like the flip-flop shot. Because I get that it was taken while riding along on a GC at the fort in some cute flops!

Thanks. That sounds about like us.

The flip flop shot was an accident taken at high speed preparing for the TV shot.

AGU, Metal Dad!

I am amazed by all the beer you bring along. It must be a lot of work figuring out what to drink and when.

TCD

Well...(sshh it's a secret!) We don't bring as much as we'd like. For the BTS, we go to Total Wine and build a sampler pack, a sixer made of six bottles of your choice, and split each one.

So it's really not that much.

We make a theme based on name, location, or style.

The staple brews like Magic Hat go by the case. They end up getting the most work.

It's part of the experience, the planning, the selecting, the packi...yeah right...who am I kidding...we bring a lot.

Loved the updates so far! Personally, I'm so looking forward to the EWP!

Very cool update!!!!

Thanks! More soon!

Lou will love the pictures of the EWP. The beers looked good. Happy kids. Great photos by MW. :)

Yup

Yup

Did you make that word up?

Ya, the 70s.

How's that 8 trac collection working out for you?

I still like it.

Most times things change, and usually for the better.

But if it weren't for nostalgia, the Fort wouldn't be dressed in pioneer garb, and we wouldn't talk about camping trips of the past.

That's why popular threads on this here site have pictures of the 70s and 80s, the FWRR, and River Country.

I love a good 8-track.

Sometimes it's cool to be obsolete, in some people's eyes, that means classic!

Like you Lou!

Times change...you don't meet many little kids named Lou!

But we're not discontinuing you... You're a classic!

Day Three continued:

Ben provided the next few photos to document their exploits!

The first shot is this!

2012-07-06_15-59-03_711_JUL6.jpg

I have no idea who the hell that is, but I’m assuming that they took this picture.

First, I must clear up the mystery guest photo. This, my fine feathered Fiends, is the nephew of the gentleman who was one of the lead designers of the FW Railroad. That's right folks. He just happened to be driving by as William and I were pulling in one of those 2 bass and he took the photo. We got to chatting about the fort and exploring and I just happened to mention my good friend Metal Dad's over-the-top interest in River Country as well as the railroad. Well "railroad" is the term that opened the door to his connection to the family, his uncle, whose family has had an engineering firm in South Florida for many decades and were one of the key firms working with Disney from the git go. Among other things, they were also a big part of the modular design concept for the original plans of the Contemporary. How cool was that? Didn't have much time to chat, since his son was directly in the sun and roasting to a delicate crunch. OK, mystery solved.

As for the chocolate laced beer, I'll pass on the next round. Once he tasted it, MD poured me the lion's share. Notice how he blamed the kids for pulling him away from the Terrapin Moo-Hoo, to which I say "boo hoo". However, the Milk Stout from Left Hand was utterly delicious (you knew that was coming). Now for the burgers and brats. To those I give a hearty fiendish salute to Maestro MD, who plays the Paul Jr grill like a virtuoso. I think he talks to it, like the guy who talked to his Billy Baroo putter in Caddyshack, except, of course, MD says, "Paulie, Paulie, Paulie, Paulie".