Blood, Sweat, and Fiends: A Fort Fourth!

2012-07-06_14-29-14_45.jpg

And once again, it is time to gather the troops and head off to the Fortress of Wilderness and celebrate our nation’s independence.

Four (score) and one-half days of Forting around in what is surely our favorite camping destination, as evidenced by this tour diary by which you dear reader , will join us by sight, sound, and smell (a MetalDad TR sensory writing device).

I mean, truthfully, you want to live vicariously through a trip report, it’s like spending someone else’s money. So, let us carry on…page 4 in your songbooks…

To move forward, we must move back.

As some of you may recall from the Rainbow Bridge Pet memorials thread, we had to put down our beloved Pekingese. Her name was Pepper, she was 14.

2012-06-28_15-18-40_890.jpg

It was exactly one week before we left for the Fort.

We had decided to wait awhile before we got another dog. And when we did, it was going to be the opposite of Pepper.

We decided this course of action even before we put her down. It would be a black lab, a good family dog. A big boy dog to ride in the truck and go camping instead of the petite little girl that wanted nothing to do with cars, campers, or any other dogs. Pepper was a homegirl to be sure.

We were gonna wait, I don’t know, coupla months maybe…

That didn’t last.

Meet Josie.

2012-07-12_17-59-58_752.jpg

She’s a 6-month old girl that we met from the Lab Rescue of Florida. She was just what we wanted. And we didn’t even know it!

2012-06-30_18-14-32_451.jpg

2012-06-30_18-14-19_948.jpg

After our application and donation, we were approved as a result of our interview and were given a list of currently available dogs, all 6 or 7 years old, and this girl. We thought some were too old for our needs, and the young one was a girl, well, we can go meet her anyway.

At the moment we decided to ask about meeting her, she was at a rescue event at PetSmart about a half hour away, and it ended at 2pm. It was 12:38pm when we bolted out the door and into the truck.

When we got there, another family pulled up in front of the store and shouted that they were here to meet the 6-month old girl (they called her Roxanne, but we wanted to name her our own name, we named her after a Steely Dan song!), we also got to spend time with her. She loved the kids, and MetalWife, and responded to me as well.

The other family said they wanted her, had to check with dad, blah, blah, grandmother’s yelling at the rescue volunteer to get the paperwork together. I calmly told the volunteer that was fostering her, that we too wanted the dog, we’ve gone through the proper procedure, had donated, and that we were taking the dog home with us.

2012-07-12_18-00-02_500.jpg

After stocking up on new dog stuff, we headed home. She laid in the front seat with her head and front paws on my lap, I was in love with her by the first traffic light.

The backstory goes like this. She belonged to a military family in Valdosta, GA (which explains her good posture and southern accent!). They were reassigned to a station in Europe and could not bring her along, so they gave her to the Lab rescue, they moved her here because the Georgia shelters can’t find enough homes for the animals.

She had a better chance in the Tampa Bay area, and the Good Lord let our paths cross!

We had a welcome home party for her, invited friends and family, Ben the BassMaster was there, we had a fire blazing at Metal Dad’s Fire Pit (that’s the official Facebook check-in!).

She has a new batch of toys, new kids to play with, and an infection…What the Fort?

The day before we were Fort bound, the Mrs. rings me at the office to tell me that the vet went to take her sutures out (from when she was spayed)and lo and behold, the wound was infected.

So instead of going to the Fort for her first camping adventure, she would wear the cone of shame and board at the vet’s for 6 days.

Drag.

Oh yeah, camping trip… Hijacked my own thread…in the first post…is that a Fiend record?

Some housekeeping before we leave. I recently got some Musket Mickey/Fort Wilderness vinyl stickers made for the truck and camper, and was so pleased that I had some new designs scanned and cut for the trip, a spiffy big Coleman logo, and my name, Metal Dad, done up in vinyl, which was cool because it’s in the same font as the logo for the metal band Iron Maiden.

On the camper.

2012-07-03_19-21-48_856.jpg

And, on the truck.

2012-07-04_08-54-02_830.jpg

Incredibly cheesy, I know, but that’s the kind of cheddar merchant that my wife and kids have come to know and love!

So we’re ready to roll Fort forward. Weeks of planning, packing (holy…I’ll get to that in a bit!), and preparing mind, body, soul, camper, and camera.

I dumped all the photos off my phone, all the songs, video…so I had as much room as possible to load it up with Fort pictures for this here trip report (Santa missed my camera request, thanks, you portly myth!).

Not just any photos, but some 249 photos of absurdity of subject and perspective.

Please keep in mind that this four day affair is completely park free.

This is the way that me and my tribe make the most of the Fort.

You’ll see some blood, smell some sweat, and meet some Fiends.

Hop in, I’ll drive!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe just a little. I need to set up another account just for TRs It may seem that way, but just because I was on the thread doesn't mean I was reading it. Nice detective work MD and nice job on the

Clairvoyance, it's a gift.

That’s the same expression I have on my face when starting a trip to the Fort. Enjoying the Trip Report. :)

Posted Images

I'm ready.

Bring it on!

Cool. Early check-in. I like it.

WooHoo!!! A Fiend Fourth Trip Report!!!!!!

Yeeeee-hawwwww!

Yee-Haw indeed. This one was one for the books. And most people would say we didn't do much!

Bout time you started this one. I'm a very impatient Fiend, you know.

We had a delay, technical difficulty with a photo of the Lego Death Star from DTD. Rest assured there's lotsa food Dave, and I remembered to take a photo just for you of all of it! And rocked some Bluegrass too!

The BassMaster awaits. Also, want to make sure that you post none of my blood or sweat, just my bass.

No, but the giant cheesy moustache will be prominently featured!

My seatbelt is securely fastened and I am ready to go!!!!

You've obviously never looped with me in a Kenny cart. Whit knuckle to be sure!

Beautiful Lab you've got there.

Looking foward to the next installment

Thank you. She smells and sheds, but I love her anyway!

Congrats on the new pup!

Can't wait for more!

Wait until you see the beer section, we brought it to a fine art this time. We'll need to reconvene the fireside sample session whence you arrive at the Fort one of these days. Checkin' the calendar for Sept.

I'm ready, let's roll!

Indeed, roll we will, in fact Publix French Hamburger Roll to be exact!

2012-07-12_17-59-58_752.jpg

That’s the same expression I have on my face when starting a trip to the Fort.

Enjoying the Trip Report. :)

That's perfect, made me laugh out loud. That's the first still shot I could get of her. She's curious but not hyper!

:popcorn:

Careful with that corn, squirrels in the 1500 are brazen.

Shot gun!!!!!!!!

The new puppy is adorable!!! Hope she's feeling all better from her infection and loving her new family.

Thanks! Kids always want to ride shotgun, and we've always said no, now with the big truck it's abit safer, no air bag in the center, and th dog takes up room, so one actually does ride shotgun. Waited for years, love it!

I was on the verge of tears during the back story, but I am so happy you found Josie!! Sorry she missed her first Fort trip but she has many to look forward to.

Ready for more!!

Sorry I didn't see you more, that's all in the TR, pretty funny too!

I'm strapped in... at least I will be next week. Give me something to catch up on!!

Maybe we'll wait then...

I in!

Waiting for more, please.

Thanks for joining!

I'm sorry about Pepper, she was really adorable. But congrats on Josie, another beautiful dog!

Looking forward to reading your adventure!

Thanks. Next segment will be up perhaps later.

Looooooove Josie! She's a doll! We went through the same thing when we lost our Dotty. She was my heart, and we lost her just before she turned 12. I swore it would be a while before we got another dog. A few weeks later, Murphy joined our family. The hole Dot left was just too big, and it had to be filled in a bit.

Can't wait to read more!