A Patriotic 4th and a Fiendishly Good Time

OK, so I haven't given up on my Not-A-Trip Report, but TCD's comment on MetalDad's TR made me realize I really should share a little bit about my Fantastic Fort Fourth trip. Except that I don't have a lot of photos. And I can't remember some of the details. And a lot has happened since then, but I figured I'd share what I could with everyone.

First of all, this was a FANTASTIC trip. True vacation. Very relaxing. I met a whole pile of Fiends who I won't even attempt to list because I'd miss some. More on that later.

So this trip was a quick one by my standards. Sunday - Friday. And, it was a last minute trip. The not-a-trip-report trip got rained out. BADLY. I came home feeling defeated and almost turned off to camping for a while. It was that bad. I also felt bad because my friend Justin had done a lot of schedule-juggling to join me on that trip, got in trouble at work for it and then couldn't wait to go home. So, this was in essence, a vacation redo.

The plan was to leave Charleston bright and early Sunday morning. Around 8am. For those of you who don't know me, my schedule at work usually has me going in around noon. That doesn't make an 8am start easy for me, but I was determined to make this happen.

So, Sunday morning I got up after about 4 hours of sleep, threw my bags in the car, made a stop at Starbucks that took 30 min, and pulled into Justin's house around 8:15. There was some lolligagging and we finally pulled out about 9am with my mandate of "NO STOPPING UNTIL YOU CAN'T CONTROL YOUR BLADDER ANYMORE! We made it about 3 hours before that point. Somehow I got stuck driving shortly thereafter and we made it to the Fort about 3. Record time for me. That included a lunch stop somewhere where I nearly killed us pulling back out onto the highway. It was a pretty rough drive down.

We spun into the Fort on 2 wheels and waited in the never-ending line to checkin inside. You see, I was a little anxious because the camper, which I had rented, was scheduled for delivery at 3:30. I called him and he was running late. Good! Finally got checked in after I had a "moment" with another guest that caused me to get a high five from some cast members. Apparently, it's ok to waltz into the outpost drunk, in your bikini and demand to be let to cut in line after I'd been waiting the better part of 30 minutes. BUT, finally we were checked in, assigned site 1321 (my first time in a premium loop) and we were off. We got there and it wasn't bad.

526612_617415058575_991812647_n.jpg

Matt arrived with the camper no more than 5 minutes later. I sent Justin to circle the loop in the car while I helped him get it backed in and exactly where I wanted it. We took care of the paperwork and went and grabbed our cart for the week. Then unpacked. That's when I remembered i was on vacation and had one of these:

376364_617415118455_1180979697_n.jpg

After a little relaxing I decided that a GAG would be the perfect way to start the trip. So we grabbed one of those and devoured it. Seriously, that's a LOT of cornbread.

555001_617415143405_1572957962_n.jpg

And for dessert (for the entire week), someone's mother snuck a cookie into the car at some point.

425169_617415173345_1103466941_n.jpg

You know, we might have starved without that cookie. What would i have eaten for breakfast.

At some point we flipped a coin for the "master" bedroom and I won. I would say I felt guilty, except that I had the small bed in the popup on the last trip so I considered this even.

Monday was an easy day. Typhoon Lagoon that morning/afternoon (crowded), showers (great great great not having to go to a comfort station), then a trip to Sweet Tomatoes at the Crossroads for dinner (yum) and the ever-important trip to Winn-Dixie for food for the week and potluck fixings.

Somewhere in there on Monday afternoon I/we (can't remember) carted over to Jen's to get the FF.net sign. I was pretty excited like a kid at Christmas. Unfortunately, she and Chris weren't home, but there were some loudmouths at the site next door making all sorts of racket. We went over to tell them to keep it down and officially met Lornaduck, Doodle, Mr Doodle and CJ. I think Richie was asleep. We also met MrsGus and discovered that I'm 10 feet from her house a few times a week here in Charleston. It's a small world!

After dinner we headed over to Bob's for the infamous MrsTnBob's coffee. Somehow I didn't have any, but met even more Fiends. Stacktester, Bob, MrsTnBob, Peanut, Katman, Mrs. Katman, Richie and who knows who else. I had a great time, but I think we were the first ones to call it a night. Luckily I couldn't hear them from our site. :rofl2:

Tuesday was an easy day also. No nothing. I think we met Jenn and Chris (and Argent) that day and picked up the sign. There was more coffee time at Bob and Kathy's. The cabin pool was the hidden gem - it wasn't crowded at all. Unfortunately, it was too hot to stay too long.

I snapped this photo from my chair while having a beer that night.

562863_617415213265_1126200428_n.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forgot to mention that at some point on Tuesday I saw something floating in the canal. Luckily it wasn't a gator. Seems someone didn't appreciate the yellow pole telling them not to drive their cart

Bob and Lou, isn't that a "Dynamic Duo"? I know that people's eyes glaze over when we stop by sometimes, so being a little blurry sounds right.

I haven't seen any. And since they don't seem to be forthcoming, I have taken the liberty to find some nice potluck pics from the web. Enjoy these, in place of the actual Fiend potluck.

I forgot to mention that at some point on Tuesday I saw something floating in the canal. Luckily it wasn't a gator. Seems someone didn't appreciate the yellow pole telling them not to drive their carts somewhere and deposited it in the canal.

544622_617415238215_566216859_n.jpg

You can see just how close to the pool we were. I thought it was fine. Justin, the teacher, thought it sounded like recess 12 hours a day and wasn't as happy.

And since I'm backtracking, we'll call this "Dusk in the 1300 loop". I must have taken this while we were eating on Tuesday.

555680_617415323045_1624587542_n.jpg

Yes, this TR is very disorganized.

I promise I'll try to get it back on track.

Wednesday morning was July 4th and I was DETERMINED I wasn't going to miss the golf cart parade, even though Lorna and Doodle had been bad influences the night before and kept me up until near dawn. Ok, well 2:30am. Same difference to me.

As we were waiting for the parade to start we saw Lorna and Chris across the street. Donnie eventually got some free coffee from someone and came to join us. At some point we saw the traditional bagpiper go down the street on a Fort cart in his kilt with the bagpipe. We were confused. He didn't start the parade this year. These guys did.

527055_617415357975_1338733607_n.jpg

I think someone told me the driver was a ranger. No comment.

There was the parade marshals, I guess. No idea. They were awake and smiling though.

483180_617415377935_859803898_n.jpg

It's not the 4th at the Fort without Goofy!

576183_617415397895_1485926018_n.jpg

The Haunted Mansion Cart

179555_617415422845_1161384599_n.jpg

That's all I have from the parade. It was fun. I was tired. Etc. I went back and had some more coffee and we discussed the day a little. We had a little cabin pool time again and that's about it. I think there was some napping. And I looped a little. I think Bob and Lou stopped by at some point, but it's a little blurry.

At some point GrumpyRVer Gary came by when he was walking his dog. Very nice guy. He and PartlyConfused Marilyn were in our loop, but we hadn't seen them outside yet. We talked for a while, but we both had to get ready for the potluck.

We loaded the cart up with crockpots, chairs, adult beverages, etc and gently headed off to the 1700 loop for the potluck. As was passed their site, Gary waved me down. Being the great folks that they are, they had more dishes than would fit on their golf cart. I'm not kidding you people! So, we loaded what we could fit on ours and then we caravanned over. Only to discover there wasn't anyone around. I'm pretty sure Lorna was napping, not "napping", inside so we sat outside and talked until others showed up. I guess we made so much noise Lorna woke up and we got the party started.

I met a whole bunch of Fiends. It was great. I can't even begin to remember who all was there. The highlight (other than dropping a meatball on my shirt) was meeting Family of Bears and Blondebunny. They were hilarious. Blondebunny's husband won the award of the day from me because, unlike me, he had brought a bottle opener.

At some point we all caravanned to the fireworks and made it just as they were starting. Feisty served as the official "horn" of the caravan.

The fireworks were good. please see Devores' pictures as I took none. After (we had parked at Judy's site) we had no problems getting out. Somehow, Rita and Linda had gotten down there but had no way to get back, so we loaded them onto the cart... where I discovered that we were actually moving slower than Bob. It just made it easier for Linda to harass him on the drive back, though.

After, we sat around and talked, then broke for a while, then went to Bob's and talked some more.

Thursday I was moving a little slower. We had leftovers for lunch and then hit Blizzard Beach for a while. It was crowded with tour groups so we went back, showered and went to DTD for some reason. I'm not sure what because I didn't get to go in. I circled the parking lot for 25 min looking for a parking space while Justin went and got what he needed. Another dinner at Sweet Tomatoes and then a few drinks.

The final night at Bob's was great. We all stayed up too late again. I got Disney PoPo'd on the way back to get more beer (driving the wrong way in a loop). We said our goodbyes and then headed off to get a little sleep before the drive home.

So that's all there is. Long on words, longer on memories, but short on photos.

It was great meeting everyone and I can't wait to see you all again! If I have anymore thoughts, I'll do my best to add them.

Very nice Brent!

For future reference, what ticked you off at the outpost?

Drunk?

Bikini?

Line cutting?

For the record: I promise never to cut ahead of someone in line.

I love that someone's Mom snuck a cookie in your car. :heart: Mom's are awesome!!

Thanks for sharing (what you could remember)

For future reference, what ticked you off at the outpost?

Drunk?

Bikini?

Line cutting?

For the record: I promise never to cut ahead of someone in line.

And I promise never to wear a bikini into the outpost. :bugeyes:

That leaves drunk, who's promising that one?

...The not-a-trip-report trip got rained out. BADLY. I came home feeling defeated and almost turned off to camping for a while. It was that bad. I also felt bad because my friend Justin had done a lot of schedule-juggling to join me on that trip, got in trouble at work for it and then couldn't wait to go home. So, this was in essence, a vacation redo.

Any chance your rained out trip was October 2011?

Great TR, it was sooooo great meeting and spending time with you and Justin. We had a blast, can't wait until the next time.

Look who you are blaming for keeping you guys up LATE - who are the young ones????????????

Thanks everyone. There was so much I could have said, but I think it's been outlined in the other trip reports. It was so much fun, I eventually stopped taking pictures, and I know that's what you all really want to see, so I won't bore you with any of the other details.

Genia,

I don't like to make promises I can't keep.

Me 3

That's why I was asking for a "Volunteer". Not to be confused with a TN Vol. Not that the two have be mutally exclusive....

But notice, still looking.......

:clint: