A Fort Newbie's Trip Report...August 2012

I wanted to share a few pics and our experience for our first Fort Wilderness trip. Everyone was such a help here over the past couple weeks while I tossed this trip together and it was a HUGE help.

We were originally assigned 2061 but once we arrived at the site w/ our luggage Chip said he was calling to see if he could move us to 2062 which he did end up doing. What a nice guy, he went and brought back our new cards too since our site moved. This ended up being much better since 2061 was next to the comfort station and we were now across from it. A few pics...

On arrival...

423410_10151045466489681_456645990_n.jpg

All set up...

424289_10151045466674681_1774027046_n.jpg

I just can't say enough about investing in a good air mattress. SO much better than our last camping experience.

558436_10151045466574681_12750068_n.jpg

Our view of the comfort station...

217980_10151045466349681_568881586_n.jpg

From the comfort station...

402127_10151045467234681_1772995883_n.jpg

For some reason before I went I was obsessed with bathroom pics so here are mine...they look like all the others. Note how clean everything was, it stayed this way the entire time. :)

376205_10151045466809681_1534715317_n.jpg

480022_10151045466904681_970164114_n.jpg

547746_10151045467044681_788093725_n.jpg

Some random thoughts....

• I loved the resort, the grounds, everything and will definitely stay again.
  • It was August, but with the fan in the tent we were perfectly comfortable almost anytime of the day. No issues at all at night.
  • There was a HUGE difference in Friday/Saturday there versus the other nights. Starting Friday afternoon there was a pre-teen & teen explosion which wasn't a big deal, but a definite change in action/noise around the loop. I know the neighbors called in a couple times after 1 am when there were kids on carts racing around. Not Disney related at all, but geez, parents let their kids run crazy there on the carts.
  • I admit it, I hated having to switch buses at first but after I got the hang of it didn't really mind. I thought the transportation times were great, even the longest wait for a bus (TL/DTD) was only 15 minutes. It did stink being the last of 4 resorts on Magical Express though. We were ready to be there!
  • The kicker that kind of tarnished things for us was that starting Friday things started going missing. Beer from the cooler was gone during the day on Friday (it was outside the tent but under canopy), then the entire cooler w/ new beer in it the next day (from inside the tent). The neighbors were packing up their trunks Saturday morning, we went to say bye and they said they weren't leaving but two bottles of liquor had been taken out of their food tent on Friday so were keeping everything locked in trunk from then on. Security came by yesterday and was asking if anything was awry and that's when we noticed a few other things missing and some other people were complaining. They assured everyone they were increasing visibility, etc. Sooo...I'm not sure if that was just a random thing or a regular occurrence but it's something we will definitely keep in mind for next time. Hazards of only having a tent I suppose.
  • CM's at the resort were all great and went out of their way for us...we didn't have one negative experience from anyone Fort related which is more than I can say from some other WDW stays.
  • My newbie .02 - bring a good fan, a good mattress, extension cord/surge protector and light and you're good to go. When I posted about the trip on the DIS I had a ton of negative posts about it being August, camping, blah blah but really it was a great experience that I wouldn't hesitate repeating.

Thanks again to everyone...

sorry to hear you had items taken. i'm thinking that happened mostly over the friday/saturday time frame. glad you had a good time, though. this is a much better board to ask questions on. everyone tries to give the positve and negative sides of things.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics.

Sorry about your stuff being taken. There's nothing I hate more than thieves and liars. We tented for years at the Fort and never had a problem with leaving things out or having things taken. Unfortunately I think these are just the times we live in now. It could have just as easily happened around an RV too, we always leave beer in the cooler outside. >:(

I'm happy to hear you didn't let it ruin your experience!

SO glad you guys had fun! SO impressed that you guys did a tent in July in FL with no a/c! whooop whoop :banana:

Boo to things going missing - sounds like some of those rowdy teenagers might have gotten brave enough to go trick-or-treating a little early. :gaah:

Thanks for posting!

Hey Brat, how about an aka?

You do realize it's no where near Xmas. What's up with the lights?

A fan, a tent, in August, in Florida, only if I get arrested and put in a Arizona prison.

The reason the CMs were so nice to you is because they knew where to get free beer.

Never ever trust a CM or believe what they say.

As for the bathroom pic obsession, there must be someone you can see for that.

Anyway, pretty good job on the TR, but I still expect an aka at some point.

Great job on your first TR! I would have been a naysayer for sure! I'm always HOT and I hate it. I live in Florida and look forward to the days of becoming a snowbird! I would imagine there were some drunken teens in the 2000 loop that weekend. I'm glad you still had a good time! Thanks for sharing!

OK people, I can do a REAL trip report....food, drama and all. I was just trying to be efficient for other curious campers. Now the gauntlet is thrown. ;)

A sassy one, I love it!!!