Marking my spot for a future trip report

Just got back from WDW last night and it will be a while before I have time for a TR. But, we had a fantastic time spending one night at Art of Animation (Nemo) and 3 nights in one of the "VIP" cabins at FW. The kind CM at check in offered us one of the two cabins in the 100 loop. And now we're spoiled. Previously we've only tent camped in Loop 2000. We also spent 2 days at Universal.

And, the most coincidental part of the trip -- I'm pretty sure I saw TCD and Twin #1 and Twin #2 getting off the FW boat at MK on Friday night around 11:20 pm. I only "know" TCD from reading his trip reports but as I watched people get off the boat, in my exhausted state from being on the go since 8 am, I thought "where do I know that man and those girls from?". I'm pretty sure it was them -- like seeing their pictures come to life. I was in the middle of the line waiting for the boat so no chance to say anything. We also happened to run into my son's cross country assistant coach on one of the FW buses (500 miles from home). So, it truly is a Small World After All.

More to come, hopefully with a couple of pictures, when I get a chance.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well we'll just have to find each other!

And, the most coincidental part of the trip -- I'm pretty sure I saw TCD and Twin #1 and Twin #2 getting off the FW boat at MK on Friday night around 11:20 pm. I only "know" TCD from reading his trip reports but as I watched people get off the boat, in my exhausted state from being on the go since 8 am, I thought "where do I know that man and those girls from?". I'm pretty sure it was them -- like seeing their pictures come to life. I was in the middle of the line waiting for the boat so no chance to say anything.

No as mentioned in a previous trip report the appropriate Fiend thing to do would have been to jump up and down yelling "TCD!!". Doing the Fiend thing might also lead to you asking a complete stranger fishing on the dock if they are Bob (and get a puzzling look from the person you ask, and yes this has been done). Some Fiends don't worry about making themselves look silly, now we know which side of the fence you are on. :)

Oh yeah and can't wait for more updates on your trip.

ooooooh TCD and twin imposters! Plus a cabin in the 100 loop. Nice teasers. I am all ready for this TR that isn't yet a TR. :popcorn: and yes, I brought enough :pc: for everyone...

I talked to TCD earlier that night and am pretty sure that he had already left the Fort for the park.

Unless they came back to the Fort and left for MK later on, those people may have been TCD, and twins impostors.

Nope, it was the real deal.

We ate dinner at Epcot Friday night. And then we headed back to the Fort, and later hit the MK for EMH.

I wish Seals had said something. It would have been my first time spiking a VIP in the 100 loop cabins.

TCD

Nope, it was the real deal.

We ate dinner at Epcot Friday night. And then we headed back to the Fort, and later hit the MK for EMH.

I wish Seals had said something. It would have been my first time spiking a VIP in the 100 loop cabins.

TCD

If I'd seen you close up, and likely without my family (HOW do you know that man? You're talking to someone you MET ON THE INTERNET - I can hear it now, my own words coming back to haunt me) I would have said something. But we were in the middle of the line and you and your daughters (who are even cuter in person!) were striding purpsely toward MK while I was determined to get on that ferry and back to my bed before I actually fell asleep. Although, I was also briefly tempted to follow you because I was sure some fun was going to be had.

And note that the CM dutifully explained to us that although they are called the VIP cabins, plain old ordinary people (like us - I filled in that part) do sometimes stay in them. And also that they are in no way different from the regular cabins except for the fire pit.

If I'd seen you close up, and likely without my family (HOW do you know that man? You're talking to someone you MET ON THE INTERNET - I can hear it now, my own words coming back to haunt me) I would have said something. But we were in the middle of the line and you and your daughters (who are even cuter in person!) were striding purpsely toward MK while I was determined to get on that ferry and back to my bed before I actually fell asleep. Although, I was also briefly tempted to follow you because I was sure some fun was going to be had.

And note that the CM dutifully explained to us that although they are called the VIP cabins, plain old ordinary people (like us - I filled in that part) do sometimes stay in them. And also that they are in no way different from the regular cabins except for the fire pit.

No worries.

I know what you mean about being an example in front of the kids. Two Thanksgivings ago, it turned out that a Fiend, The Troll (Norm) was camped right next to some people I know very well from back home. When they asked me how it was I knew their neighbor, I told them that I had met him on-line. They thought that was really weird.

What the manager said about non-VIP's staying in the VIP cabins is not true. Only VIP's get to stay in them. We got to stay in one once, which means the TCD gang are VIP's, and now you are too. You forgot to mention one other thing those cabins have that the regular cabins don't- rocking chairs on the porch. That is a nice touch.

TCD

No as mentioned in a previous trip report the appropriate Fiend thing to do would have been to jump up and down yelling "TCD!!". Doing the Fiend thing might also lead to you asking a complete stranger fishing on the dock if they are Bob (and get a puzzling look from the person you ask, and yes this has been done). Some Fiends don't worry about making themselves look silly, now we know which side of the fence you are on. :)

Oh yeah and can't wait for more updates on your trip.

Or you can do what I did and run them down in your Kenny cart that goes 30 mph - in the dark to make it even creepier!

If I'd seen you close up, and likely without my family (HOW do you know that man? You're talking to someone you MET ON THE INTERNET - I can hear it now, my own words coming back to haunt me) I would have said something.

I had to eat those very words myself. Especially, since it was just my kids and I at the fort. I basically told them that it was OK for me (an adult) to meet someone in person that I had met online, but only in a very public place like WDW, never in a situation where I'd be alone. That they (kids) were never to divulge their identity or whereabouts to anyone, ever. Because they did point out that these people were basically strangers.

I have my boys so afraid of strangers that I'm surprised they don't have social anxiety issues. Had too many bad experiences as a kid and I kind of overdid it there! Plus all the nasty stuff you hear on the news, yikes.

• 1 month later...

Finally, a brief break in my overscheduled life and I want to get back to this trip report before it’s next year.

Welcome to our Orlando theme park adventure of early August 2012. Myself, my husband W, Older Son (13), and twin sons (11) -- here named Twin N and Twin D .

We arrived in Orlando Sunday evening. First stop was dinner at the Golden Corral near Universal Studios. At home my kids often ask to go to Golden Corral. Usually i say “no.” But I caved this time. Purple cotton candy and a chocolate fountain that diners can, and do, put everything in. I’ll say no more (and, sorry, no pictures. or maybe I’m not sorry). Unfortunately, this TR will be somewhat short of photos due to a combination of camera malfunction and photographer laziness. I did steal a few photos from Twin N, however, and I’ll work those in.

After dinner and a Walgreens stop to stock up on breakfast foods, we checked in at Royal Pacific Resort, one of the Universal - Orlando on site hotels. Universal hotels have the great perk of Express Pass which lets you go in a separate line at any time on any ride or attraction except two (I think only two). We knew from last year that they moved the Express Line pretty quickly and it saved us lots of time. We’d spent 2 ½ days at Universal last August and also stayed at the Royal Pacific. I still had my annual pass so I used that for room discount, discount on tickets and 10% off dining.

Check-in, an amusing time using the new this year Express Pass photo kiosks in the lobby, and we were ready for the pool. The “dive in” movie was “Goonies.” Haven’t seen that one in years. It includes the “s” word – broadcast across the pool. We definitely weren’t at Disney. Eventually we settled in our room, with older DS sleeping on the floor and twin DSs reluctantly sharing the other double bed. The Royal Pacific Resort rooms are pretty standard hotel size, which means small for a family of 5. But what we are used to. Alarms and wake up calls set for 6 am.

Monday

A quick breakfast from our stash and we were on our way. I also like being able to walk to the parks from the on-site hotels. Along with all the other hotel guest early arrivers at Islands of Adventure we were heading for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey which opens an hour early for on-site guests. Last year we went to Universal mainly because of Harry Potter world. My sons have read the books many times and seen all the movies. I had never read the books nor seen the movies. And i was never interested in them although many people, including my children, kept telling me I’d like them even though i don’t like fantasy type books. But early in the summer I’d decided i’d finally try the Harry Potter books. And i enjoyed them. I’d read 3 ½ books by the start of our trip, enough to make frequent Harry Potter references and declare myself “the world’s biggest Harry Potter fan”.

And here I am in all my fandom:

DSC04304_zps7da03748.jpg

I enjoyed Forbidden Journey and the whole Harry Potter area more this year since I knew what I was seeing. They’ve done a good job with it, although it gets way too crowded.

DSCN1894_zpsb6a592ae.jpg

DSC04312_zpsbf21a0d5.jpg

Next up was Flight of the Hipppogriff tame roller coaster, Three Dragons more advanced roller coaster for Older Son and Twin N, being knocked around by the crowds in the shops and then butterbeer at Three Broomsticks Restaurant. W found a nice quiet place on the back side of the restaurant and we relaxed there for a while.

More Harry Potter scenes:

DSC04308_zps0871421f.jpg

DSC04310_zpsd95a4e9b.jpg

We walked through the Lost Continent area. We did the shows there last year but not this year.

One of my favorite scenes:

DSC04314_zpsc92d5152.jpg

The Dr. Seuss area:

DSC04319_zps960f5abe.jpg

DSC04323_zpsf9580d7a.jpg

DSC04326_zps49600754.jpg

We went on the Cat In the Hat ride and the Carousel.

Then the three boys went on Hulk roller coaster while W and I sat in the shade and had some ice water. It was hot.

DSC04315_zps37bed8ca.jpg

Next was Spiderman which is one of our favorite rides. Then lunch at Thunder Falls Terrace. We’ve only eaten a couple of places at IOA but I like Thunder Falls. Lots of food and it’s pretty good. Twin D and I split a chicken tortilla wrap with black beans and rice side for $8.99 and it was plenty of food for both of us. Bigger eaters in our party got ¼ chicken plus side (roasted corn is one choice) for $9.99.

After lunch, it was time to get wet. Having walked around in wet shoes and underwear in theme parks before, this time I said I would only get wet if it was followed by going back to the room to change. Jurassic Park River Adventure, pretty wet. Dudley Do-Right Ripsaw Falls, a little wet (and a pretty lame ride that is no comparison to Splash Mountain). Popeye and Bluto’s Bilge Rat Barges, soaked. I really like this raft ride. Our theme park experience is Disney, Universal, Carowinds and Dollywood and I think this is my favorite of the raft rides. Soe we rode it twice. Breezed by the long regular lines with our Express Pass.

Then we squished our way back to the hotel. They had the most delicious “free” strawberry lemonade in the lobby. And “free” popsicles. “Free” because we paid enough for the room to cover the cost of lemonade and popsicles. But it was still nice. Change of clothes and a tiny bit of relaxing. We were just about to leave for Universal Studios when the skies opened up and it poured. Thankfully we hadn’t left yet or it would have been wet shoes and underwear all over again. I think this was the first, but not the last, time I said “I don’t mind being out in the rain, but I’m not going out in a thunderstorm.” We waited it out and then took the bus since it was still drizzling.

I’ll continue the rest of the day in another post.

I'm glad I just saw this. You like cliff hangers!!! We haven't been to US yet but I am excited to go some day. Didn't want to deal with the big crowds. Your pictures are great!! Looking forward to the TR!! Don't keep us hanging too long. Oh and welcome to FF you'll feel like family in no time.

Wow! You had an action packed, fun-filled day!! Love the Harry Potter pics! Can't wait for more!!

I'm glad I just saw this. You like cliff hangers!!! We haven't been to US yet but I am excited to go some day. Didn't want to deal with the big crowds. Your pictures are great!! Looking forward to the TR!! Don't keep us hanging too long. Oh and welcome to FF you'll feel like family in no time.

Thanks. Maybe more tomorrow.

Did you get to ride the Pteranodon Flyers? I thought it looked like a very fun ride but adults can not ride without a child. How stupid is that!

http://www.universal...don-Flyers.aspx

No, I wanted to last year but that has to be the slowest loading ride in the world. We waited and waited and hardly moved so we gave up. This year we didn't even try, and my kids may be too big now. Even though I'm not!.

Let me try to finish Monday. We were on our way to Universal Studios by bus. But first a couple of pictures I forgot to post from our morning. Lots of comic book characters walking around Universal. I don’t know much about Marvel characters. My childhood comic book reading leaned more toward Richie Rich and Archie and Jughead. They were pretty normal compared to some of these characters. But apparently a lot of people like them.

DSCN1903_zps5114fc7f.jpg

DSCN1904_zpse1c02199.jpg

Ok, now we’re back to our late afternoon at Universal Studios. Our first stop was the new Despicable Me attraction.

DSC04344_zps4d86ea3e.jpg

Some views of the waiting area.

DSC04334_zps6be5e338.jpg

DSC04335_zps8bec1846.jpg

I don’t remember much of the Despicable Me movie, but I like the Minions.

DSC04340_zps02c0abc2.jpg

DSC04341_zpsdd26ed0f.jpg

DSC04342_zps98016cba.jpg

The attraction is a 3-D movie where the seats move. it was entertaining, but even my children who are used to the frantic pace of most kids movies and video games these days thought it was too fast. it was like someone pushed fast forward while viewing a VHS tape.

Then Shrek.

DSC04343_zps519ac6a9.jpg

Next W, Older DS and Twin D went on the Mummy ride while Twin N and I watched people waste money in the arcade.

Then two times on Men In Black: Alien Attack, voted our favorite whole family ride. Again we passed the same people in the regular line on both of our trips through the Express Pass line.

DSCN1916_zps470927d4.jpg

Hamburgers and fries at Mel’s diner. And a visit to the Curious George ball pit and the park was closed. Universal has added an evening show called "Universal's Cinematic Spectacular: 100 Years of Movie Memories” where they project movie scenes, by theme, on walls of water. They say how clear the images are. I thought they looked like movies projected on a wall of water. It was long, there was no where for us to sit and it had started to rain so we were watching a wall of water while getting wet. There were also some fireworks. Nothing spectacular and I wouldn’t stay for it again. We dragged ourselves back to the hotel. Which in the dark and rain seemed like it had been moved a couple of miles further away. And bed.