What to do when you boss says "Yes. You can take your 3 weeks of vacation at once"

Wow wow wow! What amazing pictures!

I am disappointed you did not slide down the dino's back... :laugh:

I think I'll go get on mapquest and see if I can follow your route. I have been to Yellowstone once via airplane. I can't wait to see the drive!

How cool that someone would bike across the mountains like that - and apparently across the country! I would be way too chicken to do that without a buddy.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so when we left off we had made an unscheduled stop at Lyman Lake. It was a beautiful place but we had a date with our first National Park of the trip. So we packed up and headed out around 7 a.m.

Silvia was feeling better and it was time to head back to California Adventure. We had the reserved area for World of Color so we headed over there to watch the show. A nice moon that night A s

We detoured an hour put of puts for Shenandoah

Jason,

I havent been able to get on-line for a few days. so just got caught up today!!

Excellent trip report and I am really having so much fun reading it!!!

I have to ask you.......when you planned this trip, did you have people tell you that you werent spending enough time at each place???? We have done three western trips, and travel similiar to you and your wife (although on our trip a few weeks ago we did spend more time at each place) EVERYONE we would share our plans with would always discourage us......tell us we were doing to much driving...not spending enough time at each place etc. Ugh, it gets so tiresome. While it would be fun to stay at El Tovar for a week, who has the time, when you want to travel and see the country!!! We spent a day at the Grand Canyon and people told us we were outright CRAZY......that we must stay for 3-4 days at least!!!

Even on our more recent trip, where we did soend a few days at each National Park, I had an uncle tell me that there was "no way" we would be able to keep our schedule!!!!

We did!!!

Just curious if you ever got that reaction. I do have to say that in most cases the most vocal people were people that either didnt travel or hated to be in the car for too long.

Looking forward to the next update!!!

Heidi

It's been a dream of mine for several years to take the girls out west before they "grow up". Actuallly, there were several trips I have always hoped to take, and so far we have done most of them. I keep thinking the "BIG" trip out west would be too tough for 7 of us, considering how long we would be gone. But your TR is inspiring me. You only live once!

INC and I took a trip out west for 3 weeks when we first met. Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone, Seattle, Vancouver, Canadian Rockies...it was awesome! I want to show my girls some of those places, but also show them Utah, Colorado and the Grand Canyon. I need to start planning!

Jason,

I havent been able to get on-line for a few days. so just got caught up today!!

Excellent trip report and I am really having so much fun reading it!!!

I have to ask you.......when you planned this trip, did you have people tell you that you werent spending enough time at each place? ??? We have done three western trips, and travel similiar to you and your wife (although on our trip a few weeks ago we did spend more time at each place) EVERYONE we would share our plans with would always discourage us......tell us we were doing to much driving...not spending enough time at each place etc. Ugh, it gets so tiresome. While it would be fun to stay at El Tovar for a week, who has the time, when you want to travel and see the country!!! We spent a day at the Grand Canyon and people told us we were outright CRAZY......that we must stay for 3-4 days at least!!!

Even on our more recent trip, where we did soend a few days at each National Park, I had an uncle tell me that there was "no way" we would be able to keep our schedule!!!!

We did!!!

Just curious if you ever got that reaction. I do have to say that in most cases the most vocal people were people that either didnt travel or hated to be in the car for too long.

Looking forward to the next update!!!

Heidi

We did get some of that reaction but we had gone into this with the idea that we wanted to see a lot of the country. We plan on returning for more in depth visits to specific places at a later time. A lot of my wife's family can't stand the though of being in a car for that long. They won't even do the drive to Florida from CT, but for us the drive is part of the fun. You miss so much if you just fly to a place. By driving you really get to see the environment that makes the people that live there who they are.

Never really gave much thought to seeing the west...but your TR is making me want to go see for myself!

I firmly believe that everyone should do it at least once. It is something you will never regret and absolutely never forget.

It's been a dream of mine for several years to take the girls out west before they "grow up". Actuallly, there were several trips I have always hoped to take, and so far we have done most of them. I keep thinking the "BIG" trip out west would be too tough for 7 of us, considering how long we would be gone. But your TR is inspiring me. You only live once!

INC and I took a trip out west for 3 weeks when we first met. Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone, Seattle, Vancouver, Canadian Rockies...it was awesome! I want to show my girls some of those places, but also show them Utah, Colorado and the Grand Canyon. I need to start planning!

If you need any help with planning it I have completed 2 of these 3 week trips now. While we don't have and children and probably will not be having any, it was important to us to get out and experience this country and the places that make it what it is. You kids will remember it for their whole life and have stories and memories to share that some people never have.

This report just keeps getting better and better, Jason.

Thanks for sharing it.

I think Heidi's observations and question are very good. I would normally be in the school of thought that you need to stay in each of the places you visited for a few days. But, I see the benefit of keeping on the go- you can see so much more that way, and if you find a place that you really like, you could always come back for a stay in the future.

As far as I can see, you did an excellent job planning out this trip.

TCD

More gorgeous pics! Love it!

:banana:

This report just keeps getting better and better, Jason.

Thanks for sharing it.

I think Heidi's observations and question are very good. I would normally be in the school of thought that you need to stay in each of the places you visited for a few days. But, I see the benefit of keeping on the go- you can see so much more that way, and if you find a place that you really like, you could always come back for a stay in the future.

As far as I can see, you did an excellent job planning out this trip.

TCD

Thanks TCD. I am glad to be sharing it. And I am glad you like the way the trip was planned so far.

We had just crossed into Wyoming but I want to hijack my own trip report for a second. When I did this trip back in 2002 I stopped at another national monument known as Dinosaur National Monument. Unfortunately it was all but closed for this trip while they were doing renovations and building a whole new visitor center. If you are into Dinosaurs or have kids into Dinosaurs this should be a must stop if you are in the are.

This National Monument is one of the few places in the world you can see a massive collection of Dinosaur bones that have been left in the earth. The story goes that back in 1909 Earl Douglas, a paleontologist at the Carnegie Museum was exploring the are and found some dinosaur bone sticking out of the ground. This would eventually turn into a dinosaur quarry and later the National Monument it is today.

Back when the Dinosaurs were roaming this part of the Rockies was flat. A river ran through the area and as dinosaurs died in the river they were all washed to this area. As time went by they turned into fossils. Now as time went by the flat river bed became the sides of the hills and mountains in this part of the area. Rain gradually eroded the hillside and man did the rest once discovered. What is cool is that in the visitors center one wall of the center is actually the hillside with the exposed Dinosaur bones there for all to see.

I could not find a picture online but here is a virtual gallery provided by NPS.

http://www.cr.nps.go...rtu-quarry.html

Okay now back to our trip report. We had just crossed into Wyoming and now it was time to turn back west...yes we came all this way east to see Flaming Gorge. It was one of the more striking things from my last trip and I really want SIl to see it. So we headed back west on I80 till we hit SR30 which headed northwest. We took that actually into Idaho for a brief time.

Leaving Flaming Gorge area

DSC06335.jpg

DSC06337.jpg

DSC06338.jpg

On SR30

DSC06352.jpg

DSC06375.jpg

Here's Idaho

DSC06380.jpg

More metal creature sculptures

DSC06385.jpg

And back in Wyoming and on US89 heading north

DSC06411.jpg

We passed through Jackson, Wyoming

DSC06607.jpg

DSC06543.jpg

At certain times of the year the Elk shed their antlers. The local boy scouts collect them and they are used to make arches and other things all over the place up here.

And then we arrived at the sign for Grand Tetons National Park. The nice thing about Grand Teton and Yellowstone is that since they are right next to each other you pay one entrance fee for both parks for the week. We only drove through the area of Grand Teton as our campsite was in Yellowtone and we still had quite a bit of driving to do to get there.

DSC06560.jpg

There was a family there taking pictures but always with one person out. I offered to take a picture of them all together and they were kind enough to return the favor.

The Tetons in the distance

DSC06561.jpg

The river that runs along side the road

DSC06593.jpg

DSC06594.jpg

This was where Silvia had THE MOMENT she had been waiting for. The wow the world is totally awesome moment. This was just outside Yellowstone with Tetons in the background. This was not the last moment either.

DSC06607.jpg

She had been impressed at other points as well but this one just resonated with her. I think the setting sun and the snow on the mountains in July and everything all together just really spoke to her.

Next up we arrive at Yellowstone. It's 7:15 and we still have 2 hours to drive IN Yellowstone to get to our campground.

I have a few photos of my boys standing under that elk horn arch. In fact my youngest thought those horns were so cool, he bought one in one of the gift shops!!

We didnt spemd too much time at the Grand Tetons either. But we did visit the visitors center, which was hands down the nicest visitors center we have ever seen in any of the National Parks!!! We also did the float trip down the Snake River right next to the Tetons.....it was amazing!!!

Great memory for me of you describing the Dinosaur National Monument........I went there with my family as a kid on one of our cross country adventures and you described it just as I remember it. Thats a bummer that it was closed when you were out there.

Heidi

We spent a week in Jackson Hole to ski there and I think took the same route you did thru Idaho to ski at Grand Targee which I think was on a Indian resevation. We also did a snowmobile tour thru Yellowstone I think it was aroound 90 miles out and back, now I want to get out there in the summer time to see it without snow. Great pictures!!!!!!!!!!

A while back, I remember watching parts of a Ken Burns series on PBS about the National Parks. I remember that it was called The National Parks: America's Best Idea.

Seeing how you can leapfrog from one park to the next while crossing the country made me think of the title of that series. The National Parks are a great idea, and I am thankful that our past leaders had the foresight to create them.

Jason- I am amazed by your statement that you had a two hour drive inside of Yellowstone just to get to your campsite. Amazing!

TCD

First up thanks again for all the love for the pictures. While I know we do fairly well taking pictures, the scenery is waht makes the shot.

And now for a couple more replies.

I have a few photos of my boys standing under that elk horn arch. In fact my youngest thought those horns were so cool, he bought one in one of the gift shops!!

We didnt spemd too much time at the Grand Tetons either. But we did visit the visitors center, which was hands down the nicest visitors center we have ever seen in any of the National Parks!!! We also did the float trip down the Snake River right next to the Tetons.....it was amazing!!!

Great memory for me of you describing the Dinosaur National Monument........I went there with my family as a kid on one of our cross country adventures and you described it just as I remember it. Thats a bummer that it was closed when you were out there.

Heidi

Thats was the one thing I was really sad about on this trip. I really enjoyed that stop last time and as you can tell it left its mark on me.

We spent a week in Jackson Hole to ski there and I think took the same route you did thru Idaho to ski at Grand Targee which I think was on a Indian resevation. We also did a snowmobile tour thru Yellowstone I think it was aroound 90 miles out and back, now I want to get out there in the summer time to see it without snow. Great pictures!!!!!!!!!!

We would love to get back to Yellowstone and maybe see it in the winter time. But if you think this visit will be without snow well you are in for a surprise. as were we.

A while back, I remember watching parts of a Ken Burns series on PBS about the National Parks. I remember that it was called The National Parks: America's Best Idea.

Seeing how you can leapfrog from one park to the next while crossing the country made me think of the title of that series. The National Parks are a great idea, and I am thankful that our past leaders had the foresight to create them.

Jason- I am amazed by your statement that you had a two hour drive inside of Yellowstone just to get to your campsite. Amazing!

TCD

Silvia and I watches all of the episodes in that Ken Burns series before the trip. It gave us lots of ideas and a deeper appreciation for the hard work and dedication that went into the preservation of these places.

As for the 2 hours drive into Yellowstone. Last time I stayed in Yellowstone I was in the first area into the park. They didnt have availability so I had to go another one. The first area was still an hour into the park but I had forgotten how long it would take once in to reach our campground. Yellowstone is huge. I will illustrate momentarily.

So when I last left off we had just arrive at Yellowstone..what's that you say? Pics or it didn't happen. Ok here you go.

DSC06622.jpg

DSC06623.jpg

I was really hard posing for these pictures. For some reason this area was horrible with bugs. We didn't see many the rest of our time in Yellowstone but here you were afraid to open your mouth.

We quickly hopped back into the car and headed north in Yellowstone. We stopped at the first camping area as we needed gas to make it to the one where we were camping.

In case you did not know it Yellowstone is huge. Yellowstone is 3,468 Square miles...For perspective Rhode Island(Hi Mom! :wave1: ) is only 1,545 Square miles. Virtually every area of Yellowstone is different. We stayed there 3 nights. We still didn't see everything.

Yellowstone Lake at Moonrise.

DSC06627.jpg

We also saw an Elk

DSC06628.jpg

At this point it was getting to dark for pictures and I was concentrating on the road as there are no lights out here.

We got the the Campground check in office just as they were closing up for the night. We received a nice site towards the back of the campground.

A brief word on camping at Yellowstone. Sites fill up quickly and you must know the size of your camping equipment when you make your reservation. Since we had a tent we did not have water or electric on our site but the comfort station was close by and we did have a power inverter for the car to charge our phones. Cell phones by the way pretty much do not work if you are not in the main lodging/camping areas

We set up pretty easily, we had done this a few times by now, and fired up some dinner on our camping grill. After dinner we got changed and headed to bed...and nearly froze to death.

Last time I was in Yellowstone it was July and the temp one night only got down to about 42. My friend and I were unprepared for that. I ended up sleeping in the car that night turning it on periodically to warm the car back up.

This time I checked weather forecasts, typical high/lows and we came with some fleece sheets and a blanket and some warmer clothes for sleeping...It dropped to 33... We huddled as close together as we could and slept as best we could. The problem was the air mattress. We made it through the night but at aroun 4 in the morning Silvia woke up and said to me, " Has anyone ever frozen to death in Yellowstone." I told her we were nowhere close to hypothermia. After all we were still shivering. The next morning when we went into the area with the restaurant and shops we picked up another layer of warm clothing and that was enough to get us through.

Moral of the story. Be prepared for it to be much colder than you thought it could be in July.

Okay back to the fun.

The next morning, once our shopping was done, we hit one of the restaurants to have some breakfast and hot beverages, I don't drink coffee so Hot Chocolate it was for me. Breakfast was good with enough food to fill you up without being to expensive. Sorry Dave no pics. They probably would have been blurry from the shivering anyway.

Oh we were in Canyon Campground by the way.

After breakfast we headed over to the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone river. At night it is quiet enough that you could hear the roar of the falls in the distance. After we parked the car I walked around the side of the van I was next to and saw this.

DSC06637.jpg

This is not zoomed in or cropped in anyway. If you have never seen a buffalo live and in person they are massive. Think small car and you are pretty close. There are signs everywhere at Yellowstone about not approaching the buffalo because they can charge and yes they do run faster than you can. This one was just on the other side of a guard rail that probably would have done nothing to slow it down. I took the picture quickly and backed away slowly.

We then proceeded to head down to the Lower Falls. The river over time has carved out what is known as the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. It only take about 10 minutes to walk the paved pathway down to the falls. It take a lot more to hike back up. It is steep and you have the problem of less oxygen.. That's right kids Yellowstone is at almost 10,000 feet above sea level. You feel out of breath and tired a little easier than normal in this environment so be sure nad take it easy till you get used to it.

Heading down the trail you get a view of the upper falls. We will be there a little later.

DSC06638.jpg

DSC06641.jpg

DSC06646.jpg

DSC06648.jpg

DSC06652.jpg

Looking up the river just before the falls.

DSC06659.jpg

DSC06660.jpg

Behind Silvia is down the canyon after the falls

DSC06662.jpg

DSC06664.jpg

DSC06669.jpg

We then made the climb up and moved down the canyon a ways.

DSC06682.jpg

DSC06684.jpg

DSC06689.jpg

In this picture you can see the platform we were on when we were at the lower falls.

DSC06692.jpg

DSC06694.jpg

We then headed to the upper falls. That will continue in the next post.