What to do when you boss says "Yes. You can take your 3 weeks of vacation at once"

These photos are breathtaking Jason! I know this must have been one awesome trip!

We still think and talk about it all the time. The pictures I have been posting for everyone are a rotating background for my computer . Even if we do another trip of this nature this will always be our First epic trip together. Well right after her tripping and almost falling in the church when we got married. hehehe. Don't worry. I caught her.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so when we left off we had made an unscheduled stop at Lyman Lake. It was a beautiful place but we had a date with our first National Park of the trip. So we packed up and headed out around 7 a.m.

Silvia was feeling better and it was time to head back to California Adventure. We had the reserved area for World of Color so we headed over there to watch the show. A nice moon that night A s

We detoured an hour put of puts for Shenandoah

So after leaving the area down the canyon we head over to the upper falls.

These are much easier to reach.

DSC06703.jpg

DSC06704.jpg

DSC06714.jpg

These are more powerful spray wise because they have a smaller opening to pour through so we did get a little bit misty.

After this we headed south through Yellowstone. This map might help you to follow along

YELLMAF2.gif

We headed south from Canyon towards Bay Bridge and on to West Thumb

DSC06740.jpg

I'm sorry I am going to have to interrupt this trip report. Some pictures I want to share apparently never got loaded to Photobucket. I will return with more later.

Oh, your pictures have me in tears! Years ago, about a month after DH1 passed away, my BF was working for a company that was doing a "family trip" to Yellowstone. She took me as her "family" because she knew I needed some healing and that was the only way she knew to help. Help, it did. That was the trip when I realized that being out in God's country is my thin place.

I spent a lot of time crying, soul-searching, and gaping at the beautiful scenery. It really makes you understand how beautiful this world is, and how small you are in the scheme of things.

I cannot wait to take my family on an Epic trip like this.

And I promise to see the dinosaur fossils.

And the buffalo scared the crap out of me, too. Back away was my motto, too...

Oh, your pictures have me in tears! Years ago, about a month after DH1 passed away, my BF was working for a company that was doing a "family trip" to Yellowstone. She took me as her "family" because she knew I needed some healing and that was the only way she knew to help. Help, it did. That was the trip when I realized that being out in God's country is my thin place.

I spent a lot of time crying, soul-searching, and gaping at the beautiful scenery. It really makes you understand how beautiful this world is, and how small you are in the scheme of things.

I am so glad that when you needed it you were given the chance to get away to Yellowstone. I can't think of any more perfect place to come to peace with yourself and the universe than there. I hope the tears are of joy and remembrance.

I have to tell you, your post touched me..........peace to you.

You just never know what can offer healing and hope.

Heidi

I'm still following along Jason. How many time can one say beautiful, amazing, breathtaking, awesome, wonderful......?

Your trip is all of the above, I just feel silly saying it 50 times. 8)

I'm guessing you didn't cuddle with the buffalo? Buffaloes need love too!

Jason,

Finally caught up from Disneyland.

Your trip is reminding me of the 3 week tour I had with my folks and bro when I was 9. We headed the southern route from SC to the west coast, catching the Grand Canyon, Vegas, Hoover Damn, Denver and into San Fran, we then headed North to BC and back through Yellowstone. It was the best trip ever. We only stayed more than one night in one location twice. This was all in a pop up. By the time the trip was over we could have that sucker up and down in less than 10 minutes.

I wish Tony and I could schedule 3 weeks off together, I would love to do something like this.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Jason,

Your trip is reminding me of the 3 week tour I had with my folks and bro when I was 9. We headed the southern route from SC to the west coast, catching the Grand Canyon, Vegas, Hoover Damn, Denver and into San Fran, we then headed North to BC and back through Yellowstone. It was the best trip ever. We only stayed more than one night in one location twice. This was all in a pop up. By the time the trip was over we could have that sucker up and down in less than 10 minutes.

I wish Tony and I could schedule 3 weeks off together, I would love to do something like this.

Wow, Genia!

Props to your parents for taking you on that trip. That is a lot of work!

TCD

Wow, Genia!

Props to your parents for taking you on that trip. That is a lot of work!

TCD

I agree TCD. and I give props to my folks everyday for travels we had. I mentioned this in Dave's TR, but I truely believe, I learned as much on our travels as I did in a classroom. As you can tell by my writing, it didn't help my spelling or grammer to miss school, but in did open up a whole new world and perspective travelling.

I really, REALLY want to go back to the northern Pacific coast. Visit Crator Lake NP again. And to see the Northern (US) Rockies again. The summer we were out west was 2 years after Mt. St. Helen's errupted. We took a small airplane ride over the area. To see that distruction from above was....aw inspriring. One side of the Mt was totally distroyed and yet the other side was almost unscathed. Something I still remember many years later...

And we definately built family unity in that trip. We didn't have a choice. The popup was one without facilities, unless you count a 5 gallon bucket. But I was sad to see it go when I was in HS. Miss that old rust bucket. And we only had one tire to blow out and do minimal damage. Uless you count my cast from my arm that was removed on the trip rolling down the highway after the blowout..... :rofl2:

AND the trip was affordable because of the camping. I remember my Mom's goal was the average cost to be under $100/day for the family. Including fuel, camping and food. And we did it. So back in the old days........it was affordable to camp.

ETA:

To correct time line AND add sorry Jason for the threadjack.

I have to tell you, your post touched me..........peace to you.

You just never know what can offer healing and hope.

Heidi

She said it better than I did. Thanks Heidi.

I'm still following along Jason. How many time can one say beautiful, amazing, breathtaking, awesome, wonderful......?

Your trip is all of the above, I just feel silly saying it 50 times. 8)

I'm guessing you didn't cuddle with the buffalo? Buffaloes need love too!

It funny Stef that you would says that about the how impressive thing. While I had seen much of this once before, for Silvia it was all new. I was just as impressed the second time but the real joy for me was watching Silvia's reaction to these places. She said a couple of time's on the trip that she thought she had seen the most awe inspiring thing that day only to have to be amazed by what she saw the next day. Don't feel bad that there aren't enough words to use a different one each time. Nature has a way of doing that.

And no. I was not cuddling with a buffalo. I did however look a little longingly at that nice thick fur coat he was wearing while thinking about the previous night.

Jason,

Both times I did this trip I requested the time off a year in advance. I was lucky enough that both times(different jobs) my request was granted. Sil and I love to do trips to new places and I love being able to take her to places in the world.

The only way we were able to afford this trip was camping at least half and a few nights with some friends. I think all told for accomodations, food, gas, Disney, and souvenirs we spent about $3500. When you figure that was for 22 days for 2 people that means we spent about $160 a day. The nice thing was we had recieved a decent tax return which we applied to a lot of our reservations. This meant most of our accomodations and camp sites were paid for ahead of time. It was nice to have that out of the way.

Jason

We had the same experience with the vistas. We thought nothing could top glacier no then we went to Olympic np. Nothing could top the redwoods then you go see the sequoias. You can get addicted to seeing the next great vista.

We certainly did. Even now we long to see another one. Thats why we went 6+ hours out of our way coming home from the Fort in July to hit Shenandoah.

Jason the photos are just breath taking.... Thanks for the heads up on the cold at 10K... I'll remember that when I head out that way. And now I also know why I like you.... We share a common experience. I too caught my wife Jen during our wedding ceremony when she almost tripped on her dress. I thought we were the only ones that had that experience but it must be far more common than I thought.

<---- :jumpforjoy

Wow ... just wow! Love the pics!

33 degrees in July is unbelievable. And the closeup of the buffalo? Scary!

Yeah its was a wee bit chilly there. And i will freely admit my blood pressure and heart rate went up more than a little seeing that guy so up close.

All I can say is Wow! Seriously!

I sure hope we can take a trip like that some day!

I hope so too. It is totally worth it.

Jason the photos are just breath taking.... Thanks for the heads up on the cold at 10K... I'll remember that when I head out that way. And now I also know why I like you.... We share a common experience. I too caught my wife Jen during our wedding ceremony when she almost tripped on her dress. I thought we were the only ones that had that experience but it must be far more common than I thought.

<---- :jumpforjoy

I don't know how common it is. I know my wife is a clutz too that didnt help that she couldn't see the chair she was trying to sit back down on. Glad my info will be of help to someone. and I am always happy to be liked. :-)

Wow...What an opportunity!

Enjoying your TR!

Your pics are awesome!

Thanks. Glad you are enjoying the journey.

You guys are right - healing comes in unexpected places. Of course, I will never underestimate the power of Big Sky again. I do think the sky really is bigger there...

I totally forgot to post about the cold weather - that is crazy! I would not have expected it to get quite THAT cold! brrrrr!!!

Okay continuing on. I have lots of picture to pick from for the first day at Yellowstone. A lot are pretty similar so I will try and share the best or most unique ones.

We headed south from the canyon area headed for west thumb. There are a lot of green rolling hills in this part of the park so I will share some pics of that.

DSC06740.jpg

DSC06741.jpg

DSC06742.jpg

DSC06744.jpg

Our first herd of buffalo

DSC06745.jpg

DSC06747.jpg

DSC06749.jpg

Continuing south

DSC06751.jpg

DSC06753.jpg

We stopped off to look at some of the thermal features on the way. For those of you that don't know Yellowstone is actually the caldera of a supervolcano. It had not erupted in something like 100,000 years but there is a big pocket of magma underground that creates all the thermal features around the park, such as Old Faithful, but more on Faithful later. The are lots of mud volcano's and hot springs and other thermal features.

The important thing to remember is to stay on the boardwalks they have built. The nature of the thermal features is that they can dissolve the ground while leaving a crusty layer that looks like normal earth. If you step on it though you could go right through it into a thermal feature. They are well above the normal boiling point due to the altitude and mineral content so you Will be burned, badly.

Stay safe please. No need to act out this lovely cartoon provided to us by the National Park Service.

DSC06769.jpg

Okay back to looking at the thermal features. One other thing to keep in mind is that due to the volcanic nature of the thermal features there is a lot of sulfur in the air. Think rotten eggs or Dave's O'hana's.

DSC06764.jpg

DSC06768.jpg

DSC06770.jpg

DSC06773.jpg

DSC06775.jpg

DSC06777.jpg

DSC06782.jpg

DSC06784.jpg

DSC06785.jpg

DSC06788.jpg

DSC06789.jpg

Moving on we were following the Yellowstone and saw a picnic area by the river. Sil wanted some more picture so we stopped.

DSC06795.jpg

DSC06801.jpg

DSC06805.jpg

DSC06811.jpg

DSC06812.jpg

Continued in next post.