TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving @ The Fort 2012

Love twin #1 in the snuggie and pilgrim hat! :rofl2:

I'm glad you went home for a family Thanksgiving. Proud that you made it back to the Fort and went to MK.

I would have been on the couch, with my jeans unbuttoned.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK- I cry uncle!!! I am from Missouri - but Oklahoma was close. Our family had been in Pizza Planet at DHS when we saw you (my daughter noticing your girls first), everyone had to go to the bathroom

Send your daughters on Operation Beefcake for me!

"I think I might know something about this secret Hidden Mickey you mention. On one of our recent visits to the new Little Mermaid ride, there was an off duty CM walking through the queue with us. S

Finally saw Brian and Monique yesterday - thank you so much! It was so nice to get a little piece of Disney on a cold and yucky December day in Massachusetts. You are the best! Sorry that I missed you... hoping for next year!

Glad you got your spike!

And, I hope I'm back at the Fort next Thanksgiving too.

But, with my kids possibly scattering to different colleges, I am not sure if that will happen.

Great Thanksgiving traditions!

Why isn't Hilda decorating? She didn't have anything out for Halloween either.

Thanks.

I know HIlda has a new grandchild, and was away from the Fort for a bit.

I haven't been back since Thanksgiving, but I'll bet she has her decorations up now.

Dont tell twin #1 but the snuggy and hat make her look much..much..much younger

I agree. And I should have mentioned that she made the hat. Mrs. TCD is a preschool teacher, so a lot of that kind of thing still goes on at home.

I don't suppose the late update today means we get a bonus update today, does it? OTOH, this might be the last update. *sigh*

I do have a little update for this afternoon, to be followed by one last full update tomorrow.

Love twin #1 in the snuggie and pilgrim hat! :rofl2:

I'm glad you went home for a family Thanksgiving. Proud that you made it back to the Fort and went to MK.

I would have been on the couch, with my jeans unbuttoned.

My body would have preferred the couch, but I pushed myself so we could get back for our Thanksgiving traditions.

But I don't want to pack up and go home :(

Neither did I.

I always hate that part.

But we had places to be.

Where we are going next is fun, and we got to meet someone famous, so it wasn't so bad.

TCD

We are now up to Black Friday.

I got up early, got a shower, and started packing up.

I had no cart, so no early morning looping for me.

Just packing.

The girls asked me to get them up by 9, so I did.

They headed off to the MK for cinnamon rolls on Main Street, and I packed.

And packed.

And packed some more.

I had a visit from Starbuc71 and family. They were out looping and stopped to say hello.

Good to see you, Dave.

Then I finished packing.

And I left.

I never even made it down for a last look around the Settlement.

But, there's no where else I would have rather been. Certainly not at some store trying to shop.

I headed over to the Lodge, and texted the girls to tell them to meet me there.

Here's the TCD Excursion and camper in the Lodge parking lot:

Thanksgiving2012604.jpg

This is something that I like to do. We get lunch there before heading home.

The only drawback is you have to park far away:

Thanksgiving2012605.jpg

But the plus was we got to enjoy the Lodge's decorations, which were awesome, as usual:

Thanksgiving2012606.jpg

Thanksgiving2012608.jpg

They have some new chairs in the lobby. They are Christmas colored, but I can't imagine that these are only here for Christmas:

Thanksgiving2012607.jpg

I got a bowl of the Wilderness Lodge Chili.

That is some good stuff.

And then it was time for us to go.

In less than 24 hours, we will be in Tallahassee getting ready to see a big football game.

And hob-nobbing with some kind of government big wig.

So don't go away just yet, I need to tell you about that.

Oh, and somewhere along the line, I met newish Fiend MsAmy. I forget which night, but she stopped by my site one night, and we had a little chat. It was nice to meet you Amy. I haven't seen a lot of posts from you since Thanksgiving. Don't be a stranger.

TCD

I'm with you on the Black Friday shopping. No way! I don't have the patience for those crazy shoppers.

I love having lunch at the Lodge. Never had the chili though. Any warnings or tips you'd like to add before I try it?

I'm with you on the Black Friday shopping. No way! I don't have the patience for those crazy shoppers.

I love having lunch at the Lodge. Never had the chili though. Any warnings or tips you'd like to add before I try it?

It's always more fun to give tips After the person has tried something you suggested.... :rofl2:

Thank you for taking us on your trip to the Fort. Going for lunch sounds like a nice tradition.

It is. Sometimes we stop at Port Orleans, but since the girls were at the MK, I headed to the Lodge, so they could just take the boat.

Over so suddenly... except for the football pics.

Like ripping off a band-aid. Just get it over with.

The football pics are good, though.

No special warnings on the chili- just the usual ones that accompany food containing beans.

It's always more fun to give tips After the person has tried something you suggested.... :rofl2:

I think that's why she's asking. I forgot to warn her about the spicy mustard on the DHS pretzel dogs.

TCD

I know HIlda has a new grandchild, and was away from the Fort for a bit.

I haven't been back since Thanksgiving, but I'll bet she has her decorations up now.

Grandchild was born while we were at the fort. We saw her after they got back from Delaware. Apparently Charles is doing much, much better! I was told that the fort may make her change sites if she wants to continue staying there ... akin to Nancy's move if you know the story on that ... maybe that's the reason for no decorations.

Grandchild was born while we were at the fort. We saw her after they got back from Delaware. Apparently Charles is doing much, much better! I was told that the fort may make her change sites if she wants to continue staying there ... akin to Nancy's move if you know the story on that ... maybe that's the reason for no decorations.

You might be right. She gets special attention from the management.

And, there were some comments made here that may have hurt her feelings.

I don't know Nancy. I just know that she's the bird lady. I met her once, but I don't know the story behind her move.

TCD

Now we are on the front porch where I found four rockers and no waiting:

I sat and listened to one song.

That's the rule.

At least one.

It is guaranteed to put you in a good mood.

The view:

We decided to try out the new Pirates walk-through that just hopened where the Narnia thing used to be.

Then Captain Jack shows up. I thought it was a live actor. But, the girls later informed me that it was a hologram. They did a pretty good job with this, as it fooled me. It actually was a projection of Johnny Depp. I wanted to get back in line and see it again right away, but the girls vetoed that idea.

1. Great rule. There's nothing like planting yourself in one of those rockers. Christmas music takes it to a whole 'nother level. (I'm gonna go ahead and count this as useable info from a TCD TR.)

2. :bugeyes: EEEK!!! Oh nevermind.... false alarm.

3. A pirate theme is a great change for the Narnia walk thru. Loved the movies... the walk thru, not so much.

4. That comment is crazy funny to me. The why of it all should be apparent. :rofl2:

I never even made it down for a last look around the Settlement.

I headed over to the Lodge, and texted the girls to tell them to meet me there.

But the plus was we got to enjoy the Lodge's decorations, which were awesome, as usual:

So don't go away just yet, I need to tell you about that.

1. It's a shame you didn't get your last look at the Settlement. WL is a heck of a way to spend your last bit of a WDW trip though!

2. The Lodge is spectacular in it's own right! Having it's halls decked must have been Super Spectacular! (Not to mention Honeymoom HQ for H and KFK.)

3. Not going anywhere. Impatiently waiting....

I am not in the returning guest lane because they had that lane coned off. Everyone had to go past the guard. The guard said it was because the parking lot was on strict restrictions:

So the $64,000 question is...

Did they actually ask you to prove you were staying at the Fort?

Which means I didn't get any of Monique's Lobster Macaroni and Cheese. The lobster is almost as good as fried hot dogs. That was a major bummer.

I promise there will be more next year. In fact I'm pretty sure Richie won't let me back in the state without it. 8)

There was one of those drinking birds in the Alien scene:

Thanksgiving2012571.jpg

I've never noticed that before.

I noticed that for the first time this year too! I also noticed that if you look outside the ride car and down as you're going through the Alien scene, there are "computer" displays that have all kinds of interesting things written on them - some of them quite funny. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any pics of them. (rats)

Notice how the front car is empty here. That means they weren't busy and weren't operating the cowboy scene. But, they still had a CM in the front car:

Weird. I asked a couple of times if they were running the cowboy scene this trip, but no luck. One of these days I'll get to see it!

Oh, and somewhere along the line, I met newish Fiend MsAmy. I forget which night, but she stopped by my site one night, and we had a little chat. It was nice to meet you Amy.

I've been meaning to thank MsAmy for the lovely Thanksgiving card and candy cane left at our site! Unfortunately we never managed to connect while we were there, but thank you Amy!! :D

Ok. I too am intrigued by rocking bird thing. Somebody has got to know something. Could it be that a TCD TR will leave me with....dare I say it......an unanswered question. Trepidation is starting to creep in.

I'm actually really curious.

The pilgrim hat on the canal....curious

What's going on at old RC.....curious

What has happened to Yuri......curious

As a dog, does Rocky know he could have gone pro in tether ball......curious

But what th heck is up with the rocking bird!!!!!!

But, we were able to walk on the Great Movie Ride.

There was one of those drinking birds in the Alien scene:

Thanksgiving2012571.jpg

I've never noticed that before.

I wonder why it's there?

TCD

Education time.....

In the opening scene of the original Aliens movie, the camera pans around an office and on the desk, briefly visible, are these drinking birds.

vlcsnap-2011-10-20-08h35m40s113_0.png

I noticed that for the first time this year too! I also noticed that if you look outside the ride car and down as you're going through the Alien scene, there are "computer" displays that have all kinds of interesting things written on them - some of them quite funny. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any pics of them. (rats)

Disney+World+Hidden+Secrets003.jpg

"The Nostromo Welcomes All Aliens Today Visiting From The Glendale Galaxy. We hope you have a pleasant stay with us."

The headquarters for Disney Imagineering is headquartered in Glendale, CA.

Reading further you find this humorous information:

"Goo Viscosity: Very Gooey / Remarks: EEEEOOOOO / Engineer: G. Koch

Time To Next Special Effect Failure:..........45.8 Years"

G. Koch is one of the Imagineers that worked on the attraction.

1. It's a shame you didn't get your last look at the Settlement. WL is a heck of a way to spend your last bit of a WDW trip though!

2. The Lodge is spectacular in it's own right! Having it's halls decked must have been Super Spectacular! (Not to mention Honeymoom HQ for H and KFK.)

3. Not going anywhere. Impatiently waiting....

I agree with all of the above. I wish we could spend more time at WDW between Thanksgiving and Christmas each year. There is just not enough time to see all the decorations.

So the $64,000 question is...

Did they actually ask you to prove you were staying at the Fort?

Well, I had my parking permit on the dash, and my resort ID out because I thought I was going to use it to open the gate. That was good enough for the guard.

It's amazing how well they can keep out outsiders when there is potential money loss to them (guests with dining reservations not being able to get in to fork over their money), but they can't keep the freeloaders out of the pool on weekends.

I promise there will be more next year. In fact I'm pretty sure Richie won't let me back in the state without it. 8)

Good to know. Not making it back to Rita and Ed's that night was a big regret for me.

Ok. I too am intrigued by rocking bird thing. Somebody has got to know something. Could it be that a TCD TR will leave me with....dare I say it......an unanswered question. Trepidation is starting to creep in.

I'm actually really curious.

The pilgrim hat on the canal....curious

What's going on at old RC.....curious

What has happened to Yuri......curious

As a dog, does Rocky know he could have gone pro in tether ball......curious

But what th heck is up with the rocking bird!!!!!!

Hey, it seems that Devores has stepped in to save the day!

And, Rocky wouldn't make it as a pro. He loves to hit the ball. But he has no concept of the fact that he is supposed to hit it in only one direction nor does he stay on his side of the circle. He just wants to hit the ball.

Where at WL does one get such chili and may I ask, how much does it cost? (I am still busy overplanning WWW)

Here's some useful information:

One gets that chili in Roaring Forks, which is the quick serve downstairs near the pool. They usually have two soup selections there at lunch time, and it's self serve. You get one of those small Dixie Cup bowls of chili for $3.95. Which is a good deal considering where you are. They also have packets of saltine crackers there for the taking. The day we were there, the other selection was chicken noodle soup, and each of the twins got a bowl of that. Both choices were excellent.

Education time.....

In the opening scene of the original Aliens movie, the camera pans around an office and on the desk, briefly visible, are these drinking birds.

vlcsnap-2011-10-20-08h35m40s113_0.png

Very good, Dave!

I thought that might have been the case, but darned if I could remember. As far as I can recall, I only saw that movie once. And that was in the theater when if first came out. I remember I was in high school then, and I went with a friend. All I can remember was that I was actually jumped out of my seat at one point. I never watched the movie again. I'm sure it's tame by today's standards, but back in the day, it scared me but good.

"The Nostromo Welcomes All Aliens Today Visiting From The Glendale Galaxy. We hope you have a pleasant stay with us."

Wow, I have never noticed this detail.

Amazing.

Of course, during this scene I usually have one of the girls hanging on to me trying to hide her eyes.

Thanks for letting me live vicariously thru your TR.

it makes me anxious to get back to the world.

You are most welcome.

I hope you get back to the world soon.

For anyone waiting on the next update, it looks like I won't be able to post it until this afternoon. Sorry for the delay, but I am not the worst offender in that regard by far. ;)

TCD

I guess that's true....now that I have one less layer of skin in my nasal passage.

No special warnings on the chili- just the usual ones that accompany food containing beans.

TCD

Noted.

And, Rocky wouldn't make it as a pro. He loves to hit the ball. But he has no concept of the fact that he is supposed to hit it in only one direction nor does he stay on his side of the circle. He just wants to hit the ball.

Nuttin wrong with that.

Thanks Dave - that's it! I'd never noticed those until this trip. Reminded me to pay better attention as I'm sure there's a LOT more out there that I haven't noticed before.