The Other Fort: Another MD Camping Adventure

Strap in. Here we go again with another MD camping adventure.

Another fire-soaked campout chock-full of food, family, and absurdity.

You in?

Day One:

Music: Badfinger & new Punch Brothers EP.

Drink: Gatorade and Water!

Smell: Canvas and Subway

There’s nothing quite like autumn camping in Florida.

It’s the time of year when we pull out our one pair of jeans, and that long sleeve t-shirt that makes it out a half dozen days a year, and the hooded sweatshirt seems to travel in the same circles as those jeans.

We try to get a few trips in over the summer, but once we hit this season, we try to get a trip each month.

Some of you may have recently checked out our TR from O’Leno State Park.

This time it’s four days at Ft. Desoto Park on the southern tip of St. Petersburg…or as some around this group refer to as “The Other Fort!”

Often considered one of the better CG’s in the state, it is actually a county park.

Other than the brutal summer months, it is difficult to get a spot as it fills up quickly.

The online booking starts 6 months out, but, it being a county park, county residents can book 7 months out.

That is key if you want a waterfront site.

They have 238 sites on 3 loops, of which a third or so are waterfront sites.

For this particular weekend, it was a campout with our church.

They’ve organized this trip for I think 28 years now, this was our third year participating in it.

Yes, I’m Metal Dad, a little rebellious in my middle ®age, a bit irreverent, and yes Virginia, I go to church!

I planned this trip back in April, arranged for the time off, booked a killer site.

And then realized a few weeks ago a minor oversight!

Forgot to coordinate with the wife and kids!

So, I spent four days there.

Two of them with other ladies.

20121108_131608.jpg

So the fam sets out for school on Thursday as I packed the truck and hitched up.

A leisurely drive across the county, just me and Josie!

20121108_131614.jpg

We stopped at Subway for an Italian BMT and a Diet Coke to go.

We hit the island around lunchtime.

Here’s the view from the wheel:

20121108_142615.jpg

20121108_142633.jpg

Once through the gates, we pulled in to check in.

Water is visible from most of the campground.

20121108_142826.jpg

20121108_142852.jpg

Check-in is a breeze, they keep info on file about you and your family and vehicles.

I had to update them on the new truck, and was saddened when the asked if Pepper was joining us.

I explained how she’d passed on, but Josie was now in tow.

Back to the rig.

20121108_143404.jpg

I have a pretty short attention span, and a world class lack of patience.

Therefore, my packing looks like this!

20121108_143419.jpg

Josie was still there, but she was now in the driver seat.

I turned the key and the wipers came on. She’s a nut!

Off to the site.

We reserved a great site last year in the dog loop.

It’s on a little private spur where there’s only 4 sites beyond us, so little traffic, and right across from the comfort station!

As the bike pedals, we were quite a ways from the church group, which is fine.

We’re a pretty anti-social tribe of degenerates, what with our dog and what not.

Not like the Fiends that can meet us down on our own level!

The first year, we were in the thick of it, and had to behave.

We camped next to a family from the choir that had teenage girls.

‘Glee’ was very popular that year. I was in hell!

Last year we had Pepper with us so as I mentioned, we went to the other side, and loved it.

Big site, on the water, and a great climbing tree. Reserved it again for this year’s trip.

Memory is fading with each passing year.

I managed to remember the wrong site.

I actually booked the one next to it.

A happy accident to be sure.

The site was bigger, less roots to deal with, and a few steps closer to the bathroom!

20121108_150804.jpg

Before I popped up old Maria, I sat at the table and enjoyed my Subway.

Just me and my dog!

20121108_172915.jpg

I continued to set-up camp at my own pace. A nice change.

My own music, my own site design (an important step!), up goes the Ezup and lights.

20121108_175444.jpg

Then, the other lady shows up!

My Big Sister joined us! You may remember her from my Father-Daughter TR at KOA.

She figured she’d keep me company since MetalWife and the kids wouldn’t arrive until Friday night.

She brought in food from Publix deli.

Time to set-up the firepit and circle of conflagration worship.

20121108_175458.jpg

My firepit at home stays home.

Then we have Burny which is specifically for the Fort because it has walls and a lid and removes any element of danger and amusement.

My travel pit is a simple wash tub with holes drilled for oxygen-feeding.

It was dented and had a hole in it.

Lowes sold it to me for $4.

The CG rents this same model for $5 per night with a $20 deposit.

20121108_211448.jpg

That’s my sister’s feet to the right, you’ll see more of her in later updates.

This is also roughly the 900th photo of fire that I’ve shot from that POV.

I was looking through my computer pics and notice a lot of that same angle.

Why mess with a good thing.

Now, I know what you are thinking.

An MD report that hasn’t addressed an exquisite cooler array.

That’s because the park is dry.

I wouldn’t risk getting booted from a CG, especially one loaded with fellow church members.

I certainly wouldn’t pack bottles that would make a particular ranger-alerting sound come trash time.

You know me. I’m not a rule breaker.

So I made sure I left these cold canned fellers home…

20121108_111649.jpg

The CG was quiet on the first night.

We relaxed by the fire. Turned in early.

Josie was great, much more relaxed than her first trip.

A pretty uneventful first day.

Just what I wanted.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And this is one reason for our stash of Solo Cups and koozies.

In case anyone is interested, those Disney refillable mugs hold exactly one 12 oz beer. At least that's what I've heard. I wouldn't know from personal experience. TCD

Wait...campground is dry or church gathering is dry? I'm confused. Im also a church going gal (not that you are a gal, but you get the point), but seriously, is there such thing as a dry park?

I'm looking forward to the TR, and also looking forward to seeing yall at the fort. Now, what do we have to do to get back in that darn 1500 loop?!

New Punch Bros CD?? I'm in!

Yes, it's an EP called Ahoy! It's pretty cool!

Wait...campground is dry or church gathering is dry? I'm confused. Im also a church going gal (not that you are a gal, but you get the point), but seriously, is there such thing as a dry park?

I'm looking forward to the TR, and also looking forward to seeing yall at the fort. Now, what do we have to do to get back in that darn 1500 loop?!

Yes CG is dry, it's a county park. The NYE trip will be great, looks like there'll be a bunch'o'fiends there.

I'm in.

The other Fort is a pretty cool place.

I'm looking forward to hearing about it from your point of view.

Bring it on!

TCD

We try to get there 2-3 times a year. We love it, although the ground is tough on a patio mat.

We have 2 brooms in the camper because of the sandy/natural coquina sites.

Thanks for sharing!

James Island County Park is dry too. However, I have noted there is A LOT of beer cans/bottles in the recycling bins. Campers are an amazing group I tell ya. To be dedicated recyclers and bring in empty can/bottles to the park. Amazing.

I guess that is a very easy way to evict loud obnoxious folks that don't conceal thier stash well.

Following up on what Genia said, as far as I know all Florida State Parks ban alcohol, even in the camping section.

But, the recycling bins are always full of beer bottles and cans.

I know of folks who have brought alcohol to the other Fort without incident.

But, then there were these folks:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/6604-campers-evicted-from-fort-for-mountain-of-booze/#entry162032

TCD

Thanks for sharing!

James Island County Park is dry too. However, I have noted there is A LOT of beer cans/bottles in the recycling bins. Campers are an amazing group I tell ya. To be dedicated recyclers and bring in empty can/bottles to the park. Amazing.

I guess that is a very easy way to evict loud obnoxious folks that don't conceal thier stash well.

Following up on what Genia said, as far as I know all Florida State Parks ban alcohol, even in the camping section.

But, the recycling bins are always full of beer bottles and cans.

I know of folks who have brought alcohol to the other Fort without incident.

But, then there were these folks:

http://www.fortfiend...ze/#entry162032

TCD

I think many State, County and Municipal parks are "so called" dry. Having that rule in place makes it so much easier for the PoPo to remove anyone who gets obnoxious, loud or is causing problems after one too many. The violators have no way to argue that they didn't do something wrong

Going to the other Fort after our first Fort visit was a great twofer trip. One I am anxious to do again. I completely lucked out with the reservations and also got a great water front site. I love that they post photos of the site so you can see it first.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

I think Josie and my Sanford might like a date, unless you're a Gator like TCD. :) Don't worry TCD, he can still play tether ball with Rocky.

80BD0C34-EA1F-47C1-8E85-27E4B7E99FC3-1002-0000009098EB16B6.jpg

What a pretty campground!

All the campgrounds on Lake Lanier are dry. I use the red wine solo cup method. The really funny thing is that if we're there and sitting on our boat that is beached at the site, we can drink on the boat. But don't step off. You can also drink in the water. But don't swim to shore. In all honesty though, I think they don't want the liability around water, and it's an easy way to kick people out.

I'm late, but I'm in!

I've never been to the other Fort. The times I want to go (summer when we can bring the boat) has to be booked so far in advance. With our businesses it's impossible to know if we can get away at that time. <_<

I actually thought about you yesterday when Trevor came out in the goofiest most attractive camping outfit I've seen since you're high water PJ pants. Of course, I took a picture.

He did look at me funny when I said "Hold still, I need to take your picture for MD" ^-^