New Years, New Noize: Five Days of Fort Nights with MetalDad!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day One Sounds: Yes, The Band, Badfinger, BBS Smells: Fresh baked Subway rolls, Canvas, and cool crisp air! Tastes: Tuna, Habanero Margarita. As I sat around the fire with the old BassMaster during on

Hey you, birthday boy...lets get back to business here!

Hey Aaron...that's not fair! If yer gonna smoke a guy out, at least do it nicely .

So how far is the church from the Fort?

You weren't taking pictures during the actual Mass (you weren't right?) so, I think you were ok.

He totally was. Totally irreverant this guy. And I'm allowed to say it...cause the metal clan and the bear clan, we are tight.

Shame. Shame. Though he was probably quieter than a lady here who answered her phone during the Easter Vigil Mass and proceeded to loudly carry on a conversation.

Hey MD, check out my new avatar...it's me with my koozie!!!

Actually the one photo is before mass began, and the rest is in the lobby.

But don't let that take away any lack of respect for me, I'm still an irreverent dirt bag. It's a virtue!

Brandy, I love the pic! I noticed that this morning.

Shame. Shame. Though he was probably quieter than a lady here who answered her phone during the Easter Vigil Mass and proceeded to loudly carry on a conversation.

No way! She didn't even go outside?

Still, I don't think that would bug me as much as seeing the young girls in my church wearing teenie tiny dresses that leave very little to the imagination of the young boys in attendance. Every time I see one, I look up and thank Him for giving me boys!

But seriously, if they can't wear that to school (at least not at the ones in our district), why wear it to church? I can remember being discouraged from wearing a strapless wedding gown….and that was only 17 years ago. I'm no prude, but I just think there's a time and a place, and mass isn't it.

Sorry for the 'jack, MD…….looking forward to more Metal family adventures!

Love Marshall Tucker Band...good call!

I'm not familiar with the Punch Bros. I have been called a Punch Mistress, does that count?

So looking forward to camping with the MD family. Good music, good beverages and good food.

• 2 weeks later...

Day Two

Sorry about the delay.

Some serious life events at hand.

Including but not limited to staffing, elderly parents, sports, garage sales, illness, and a weekend trip to MK!

More on that later!

Back to the TR, Sunday after breakfast and church.

We did the vehicle dance to locate our carts.

The first stop was up to the settlement for Hot Chocolate and Pibb.

We had two carts that will be loaded with kids.

But for now, it was just Ben, Annie, and I on a mission.

I stayed in the cart parking lot under the guise of watching the carts.

Truthfully, It’s a few minutes of quiet that I get to just look around.

Pioneer Hall at high noon(ish)!

20121230_145743_zps3b875b62.jpg

I’m in my mid 40’s, but somehow I still find mirrors curious. I'm still dumb enough to take mirror photos!

20121230_145805_zps6e1b9a54.jpg

Here comes Ben and Annie with the goods.

20121230_151021_zpsbaccba25.jpg

Those two have become quite the buddies.

20121230_151035_zps278abdc6.jpg

Back to the site to pick up the rest of the crew.

20121230_153012_zps900ccabd.jpg

The girls picked up matching blankies at Wal-Mart.

20121230_154138_zpsd1f462ac.jpg

One of the items on the docket was to go up by the guard gate to meet up with one of my clients.

He is a CM, works with characters.

Initially the plan was to surprise the kids with a private visit to our site from CnD on their way to the fire.

Unfortunately, the timing and logistics of such a rendezvous made it a dead issue.

Instead, he handed me a fistful of park hopper vouchers.

Enough for me, my wife, and kids!

I’m totally OK with that!

As I mentioned before, we haven’t been to a park since 2007.

Now we had something to plan for.

I’m pretty sure we weren’t supposed to have our carts up that far, but no one gave us any issues.

Now, this next picture was from that meet-up whilst we were waiting.

It’s got some back story.

Ya’ see Timmy, my kids got into WebKinz a few years ago.

It’s a stuffed animal that has an online habitat, where you feed and care for the virtual pet, but you have a real stuffy to account for it’s existence.

Follow?

Annie got her first one this Christmas from my mother (whom knows nothing about this here collective of Disney campers).

To mine and MetalWife’s surprise, Annie opened up what looked like a cross between Snarky and me.

Like Snarky in that it’s a purple flamingo and me because it’s plump with really short legs.

So naturally, she named it…Snarky!

20121230_161433_zps7d231207.jpg

I’ll have you know that like FF.net, Annie’s virtual Snarky is thriving in his online environment!

While we were up by the front of the Fort, we swung by the Outpost.

20121230_162118_zpsbd8103d1.jpg

Next, we looped a bit, went to the Settlement for some hula-hooping, shoe tossing, and checkering!

Check out this random teenager admiring my son’s horseshoe skills!

20121230_164714_zpsc384d629.jpg

Annie rockin’ the hoop!

20121230_164720_zps1eb9cb94.jpg

The trees…

20121230_164738_zpsaf347f8c.jpg

20121230_164921_zps0dd068a2.jpg

The girls workin’ the checkers!

20121230_165012_zps6287ed36.jpg

Some old friends at Crockett’s.

20121230_165037_zps44e2ee86.jpg

Actually, they’ve brought in some new labels, which is cool.

I always go for the stranger on the shelf!

We looped a bit more.

Hit the 1600 CS where we snapped this shot.

20121230_174557_zpsf037144c.jpg

We didn’t hang around so much on 1600 as everyone that way was very sick, some violently ill.

We did stop by on NYE, photos on that later!

Almost at the photo limit, we’ll continue at the Meadows Trading Post after these messages.

Glad this TR is rolling again.

Now don't stop.

I'll try to keep up. There's a bunch of material to cover.

Great pics! Looking forward to more.

Thanks. New phone-cam since last TR, I hope the pics are sharper.

I love the little Snarky. That is so cute. Hot Chocolate and looping, sounds like a good day to me.

No kidding. Who would have thought a golf cart could bring so much joy!

She loves that bird!

Luvin' it so far..... :jumpforjoy

Excellent. Glad you're along!

I didn't realize that Annie's cute little flamingo was a Webkinz when she introduced him to me! She is so darn cute.

We went through a major Webkinz phase here years ago. We have a couple piles of stuffed remains in the bedrooms somewhere.

Just another racket by some brilliant entrepreneur to suck the money out of our wallets!

Hey, let's sell a $2 stuffed toy for $20 and create a virtual world for the kids to play with it on!

Kinda like those $5 rubber bands from a few years ago, made me shake my head and think, "man, I wish I'd thought of that!".

I didn't realize that Annie's cute little flamingo was a Webkinz when she introduced him to me! She is so darn cute.

We went through a major Webkinz phase here years ago. We have a couple piles of stuffed remains in the bedrooms somewhere.

Just another racket by some brilliant entrepreneur to suck the money out of our wallets!

Hey, let's sell a $2 stuffed toy for $20 and create a virtual world for the kids to play with it on!

Kinda like those $5 rubber bands from a few years ago, made me shake my head and think, "man, I wish I'd thought of that!".

So true.

We had a herd of them too. Those things had some sweet cribs.

The funny thing is that one of the girls spotted one recently at a Cracker Barrel and wanted me to buy it for her. I told her she was crazy- we had probably given away hundreds of dollars worth of the darned things to Goodwill.

We have been through all of those fads. I had the foresight to hang on to one Furby. I saw they were supposed to be a big thing again this past Christmas. I put some new batteries in it, and we all remembered how annoying those things were.

Anyway, back to MD- loved the update! I remember seeing you cruising around with the girls and their matching blankets- cute!

TCD

So true.

We had a herd of them too. Those things had some sweet cribs.

The funny thing is that one of the girls spotted one recently at a Cracker Barrel and wanted me to buy it for her. I told her she was crazy- we had probably given away hundreds of dollars worth of the darned things to Goodwill.

We have been through all of those fads. I had the foresight to hang on to one Furby. I saw they were supposed to be a big thing again this past Christmas. I put some new batteries in it, and we all remembered how annoying those things were.

Anyway, back to MD- loved the update! I remember seeing you cruising around with the girls and their matching blankets- cute!

TCD

Oh, don't tell me Furby is worth something now! My MIL gave one to my boys once and it was so annoying I threw it out!

Oh, don't tell me Furby is worth something now! My MIL gave one to my boys once and it was so annoying I threw it out!

New ones go for $50+. Not sure what vintage ones go for, but I'll bet at least $25.

We had three or four. I remember taking them to Goodwill in a bag of other stuff. They were talking and making noise the whole way. I was glad to leave that bag there. Very annoying.

TCD

New ones go for $50+. Not sure what vintage ones go for, but I'll bet at least $25.

We had three or four. I remember taking them to Goodwill in a bag of other stuff. They were talking and making noise the whole way. I was glad to leave that bag there. Very annoying.

TCD

HAHAHA yes! I remember passing the trash can out in the garage for days after I tossed it and I could hear it in there.

I'll be there are many Furbys chattering away in the depths of landfills everywhere right now.

I used to work in a toy store when I was a young man (on the weekends, I'd wear the clown suit and demo the new toys!).

After the doors closed, we used to listen to the SexPistols, and the only cassette player we had was a Teddy Ruxpin doll.

The bear would dance and sing along to whatever tape you played, with intentions that it would be the Teddy Ruxpin tape.

The accelerated tempo and distorted guitars freaked that thing out.

Ahh, youth.

I used to work in a toy store when I was a young man (on the weekends, I'd wear the clown suit and demo the new toys!).

After the doors closed, we used to listen to the SexPistols, and the only cassette player we had was a Teddy Ruxpin doll.

The bear would dance and sing along to whatever tape you played, with intentions that it would be the Teddy Ruxpin tape.

The accelerated tempo and distorted guitars freaked that thing out.

Ahh, youth.

Poor Teddy....this is him after MD was done with him.

teddy_ruxpin.jpg

Continuing on, we stopped by the trading post to goof around and blow some allowance money.

Now, given my status as resident rule-breaker dirtbag, this graphic that they’re working for 2013 appeals to me greatly…very metal!

20121230_183418_zpsa183190d.jpg

The goils shopping and looking for stuff…

20121230_182136_zpsbbd2eedf.jpg

20121230_182249_zpsba8160ea.jpg

20121230_184041_zpsd7f749d4.jpg

I decided to wait outside in the much coveted rocking chair.

I think my son took the pictures.

20121230_184138_zps25030bb6.jpg

Annie joined soon after for some laptime!

20121230_184214_zps5fd0a522.jpg

BTW, did you know there was a bathroom inside the Meadows Trading Post?

All these years, I’ve never seen it.

It’s behind the milk cooler.

Annie used it.

We meandered back to the site to prepare for this evening’s activities.

As I made my way to the Magic Hat to prepare for some dinner slingin’, a Fiend approaches.

20121230_194103_zpsef0d0da8.jpg

That’s Mr. TCD enjoying his very first Magic Hat.

Here’s TCD with MetalWife and the BassMaster.

Sounds like a comic book.

20121230_195033_zps10bf451b.jpg

Then, it was time for fire.

20121230_200725_zps2258c353.jpg

The rangers require a lid on the fire, so the key is to make sure the fire is mightier than the lid!

Plus, we were sprinklered. Don’t believe me? Check back to Day One of this here diary!

The kids were all over the place on their scooters (not enough room for bikes this time!)

Some were in the camper giggling.

Ben and I were by the fire carrying on preparing for a BTS.

So she went to the only place a girl can go to get some peace to read!

20121230_201104_zpsfc4a5253.jpg

Luckily, it was outside.

I took a shot of the backside of the camper from in front of the CS.

Given our proximity to the CS, it never was an issue with noise or foot traffic.

And, a short commute in the cold.

Picture sucks though!

20121230_201250_zpsbda6423f.jpg

Back inside the camper, the kids break out some high stakes Uno!

20121230_201446_zps6c8c053b.jpg

20121230_201349_zpsdad6004e.jpg

And Annie rocks the late night giant dill pickle!

20121230_201547_zpsd9331fab.jpg

Once the kids went inside, MW made her way back to the fire, still fighting the good fight to get in some reading.

20121230_201644_zps7468ff69.jpg

Earlier, I mentioned going to WalMart, and one of the items on the list was beer.

Brent pointed out that it was Day 2 and I was re-supplying.

Earlier that day, Genia and I were bexting (beer texting) and she sent over a Newcastle.

I was inspired, needed to have it available in the cooler.

Had to test the coolerness of it, so I had one!

20121230_202734_zpsbc199fed.jpg

Who doesn’t love some 4-finger Mickey hands on a cold night?

20121230_203243_zps6252c867.jpg

Dinner is served.

20121230_203701_zps43620580.jpg

Better late than never.

I do most of the cooking and cleaning when we camp.

I don’t wear a watch when I camp, so it’s always Fort-Thirty.

Time stamp says 8:37 and 8:44pm on the food.

Deal with it.

Bubba Burgers!

20121230_204414_zpsf9478ac1.jpg

Get the kids ready for bed.

Fire up the heaters!

20121230_212119_zpsf8c9d268.jpg

20121230_212136_zps45f51d84.jpg

Mentally prepared for the BTS (Beer Tasting Session)

20121230_211949_zpsc2eca093.jpg

Some spiffy new camo cups for the occasion.

20121230_211542_zps8fc4f6a7.jpg

And we’re off.

The BTS is a tradition that Ben and I started, basically, to give us a sense of purpose as we laze around the fire gulping brew.

We discuss the intricate personality, hints, and notes of each handcrafted beer, bringing it to a point of high art.

In reality it’s a couple of whackos sat by a fire, drinking beer, staring at the roof of a camper in the cold.

Tonight, we feature selection from the Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka, CA.

20121229_170122_zps145e4332.jpg

20121230_212413_zpsa138f64a.jpg

20121230_213726_zps5281e342.jpg

I’m not a fan of fruiting the beer, but I have to say, the Tangerine is pretty freaking cool!

Second time I had it.

The Indica was pretty potent tasting, a little too hoppy for my palette.

The Alleycat was nice, an amber ale, will return to my cart one of these days!

The Great White was OK, it’s an unfiltered wheat beer, which means it looks like my son backwashed in it with a mouthful of cheese and cracker remnants.

They also have a winter seasonal called Winterbraun which was accidentally consumed before we packed for the trip.

Maybe next year.

Next up, Day Three.