New Years, New Noize: Five Days of Fort Nights with MetalDad!

Day One

Sounds: Yes, The Band, Badfinger, BBS

Smells: Fresh baked Subway rolls, Canvas, and cool crisp air!

Tastes: Tuna, Habanero Margarita.

As I sat around the fire with the old BassMaster during one of our regular Friday Night Fire sessions, we were discussing our upcoming trip to the Fortress of Wilderness.

We were planning on ringing in the Year of Our Lord, 2013 at the Fort.

We were scheduled to arrive 12/30, leaving on 1/3.

Partial.

The 30th was a Sunday, and the rates dropped substantially.

But, why waste a whole Saturday NOT being at the Fort.

So, we called Mickey, right there from the fire to add a day to the front of the trip…he was all ears!

It all comes with consequences to be sure.

Now, there’s a slight change in the cast of characters.

Ya’ see Timmy, BM’s Mrs, and daughter for that fact, will not camp in the popup.

Something about plumbing, and other people.

So, Mr. smarty-engineer-britches hatches a plan.

Rent a condo off property.

His intentions were to sleep and eat there, and keep a cart at our site for fishing and looping.

For our purposes, that opened up the North Bunk, so we allowed Gracie to invite her two best friends to join us for her birthday.

So now, we’ve added days and people to the trip.

Saturday morning starts with the friends showing up, and packing.

We decided we’re dropping Josie off at the kennel, as we have no room in the truck or camper.

Plus, I’m a big enough jerk, who needs partial hookup neighbors giving me grief because of my dog!

After I was all packed up, I came across one more item that I had to bring, but couldn’t squeeze in, so it rode to the Fort like this…

20121229_135552_zpsc3b38dd3.jpg

Wheel’s up!

East bound and down.

Because of the extra goils, John II gets to ride up front.

Which he loves because he gets to sit next to me, man the music, and gets a cup holder!

20121229_123118_zps61819a50.jpg

He toured all over the flash drive that stores the music.

He loves him some Black Sabbath

But, he made stops at Yes, Badfinger, Kansas, The Band,The Whippoorwill by BBS, and he has a new love for the Trammps – Only Takes A Minute.

Wacky 8yo.

I ended up with The Band stuck in my head.

You know how there’s that one song that stays with you, and you’re looping and end up singing it over and over.

King Harvest has surely come…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxzQChNxQQ8

The Goils!

20121229_123416_zps37bc3949.jpg

And the Mrs.!

20121229_123625_zpscc622455.jpg

He insisted on a solo photo.

We told him we have limited film.

He said “What’s film?”

Nevermind, it’s a phonecam.

20121229_123947_zpsce8ed7f9.jpg

About halfway between Tampa and the Fort, we stopped at Subway.

20121229_135520_zpsd28658d6.jpg

We had a ton of coupons, plus they had that $2 sub deal during December.

7 people ate for about $15, good start.

We had it to-go so we could eat at the site before we set-up.

Heading to the Fort, smell of fresh sandwiches, Disney signs let us know we’re approaching nirvana.

20121229_141050_zps567f091f.jpg

Alas, we’re here.

20121229_141637_zps3977835b.jpg

I never get tired of that shot!

MetalWife and I were chatting about past TR’s that have had our photos with weird colors by accident.

I have a new phone, and it has sepia tone as an effect, so she grabbed a few sepia shots, came out pretty cool!

20121229_142101_zpsc0317f76.jpg

I really dig the way this looks!

20121229_142341_zpsa481eb0b.jpg

Need this shot every time too!

20121229_142423_zpse7e4b655.jpg

He couldn’t find MetalDad, so I gave him my real-life name, couldn’t find that either, so I gave him Ben’s

Got the thumb’s up!

20121229_142424_zpsf066ef41.jpg

Waiting in line for check-in, we took some pics!

20121229_143018_zpse1bae79c.jpg

20121229_143113_zps37f7d202.jpg

It was our turn. Set me up!

1500!

Sent a request on Christmas Day!

Yes, but you added a day, we can’t get you in 1500 until Sunday.

I’m not re-setting camp, so I’ll take my lumps.

I know someone that did get a 1500 spot on Sunday, you’ll see him later!

So, we’re on the 2000 loop.

2015 to be exact.

Now, I know the layout down there, the key is to be closest to the CS closest to the entrance/exit.

Plus, if you’re close to the end, you don’t have to navigate the whole loop to get to your site.

Could we move towards the end by the second CS?

Yes, 2065.

Hold on, we need new card keys.

Hold on the machine’s broken.

20121229_143944_zpsfe03ce53.jpg

Go to your site, we’ll bring them to you.

I was totally OK with 2000, we had a lot of kids, and no one can “out-menace” me!

So, I was at home back there!

Plus, I was at the Fort, what’s wrong with that?

I unhitched, kids started to eat, my son and I headed up to the Meadow for ice!

Saw this theming sign, seems so unlike Disney, but funny.

I liked it!

20121229_155406_zps14c4552c.jpg

Token mouse shot!

20121229_155444_zpsb45b212d.jpg

2000 attracts a lot of rangers, so I figured I better get a shot before I was scolded.

20121229_161234_zps06479c49.jpg

Never happened!

See the moisture on the ground?

That’s not from a site cleaning, that’s from a pretty heavy blast of rain we got on the day before.

The whole front of the site was underwater.

I flagged down a CM driving picnic tables around on a loader.

When he got a chance, could he ask someone to bring a big broom by so I could whisk away the standing water?

About 2 minutes later he came back with a broom and a blower and dried it all up, better than I expected.

The site hadn’t been cleaned, as we were supposed to be in 2015, and were now in 2065.

No biggie, wasn’t a mess, a little soggy ash pile in a grill I wouldn’t use.

I don’t fret over things like that, if dirt bothered me, I wouldn’t camp!

Next item of priority…

DISNEY ON ICE!

20121229_163650_zps5b1df18f.jpg

This is where I started driving my fiend pal Genia crazy with beer texts (or bexting, as we now call it!).

They would be in next week after us for her birthday.

We also brought in some pumpkin ale, as total Wine was blowing it out at $3 per 6-pack after Halloween.

Wife loves it, I love her, sold.

20121229_164129_zps317e0f26.jpg

My daughter and her two best friends.

20121229_172232_zps1e3f8ea3.jpg

Now, timing is everything.

My wife made a call on my phone, then snapped a photo of the goils exploring, then returned my phone to me.

20121229_172304_zps712cf71e.jpg

I was setting up the kitchen, and washing up station (bed of the truck), and ready to hook up the hose to the camper.

Problem was, the second hose was already occupied.

See the black hose?

20121229_172123_zps2057af7b.jpg

What the heck kind of campsite has two hoses, with one going straight into the ground?

Of course.

I had to try it.

I turned it on… you see where this is going right?

As per the photo above, the girls were inspecting something sticking out of the ground.

I apparently just fired up sprinklers at full blast, and got all four of them in the face!

As darkness approached, Genia sends me a text that FamilyOfBears wanted to know if we were going to Port Orleans to see Piano Bob?

Absolutely! That was a day one plan since we started.

We wouldn’t get carts until Sunday, so they stopped by to visit!

20121229_190916_zps58cbb117.jpg

They told us how they had that same exact site before, and there was a terribly bright flood light that shone through the tenting, two lights actually.

In the middle of the night, Mr. ofBears, whom prefers to be called Papa Bear, stacked a table and a few coolers so he could stand on high and extinguish the offending light source.

They’re still out, so thanks Papa Bear.

I still think Mr. ofBears is funnier, but he’s bigger than me, so Papa Bear it is!

You may also recall our urban tagging expedition from my 4th of July TR.

Mrs. ofBears is still rocking the Slyce koozie.

WooHoo!

20121229_191844_zpscd2417f0.jpg

We all decided to freshen up and head out to POR to see Bob.

Annie went with the Bears since she and Bella are thick as thieves.

I said “Honey, seem funny to you that we just sent our child off with strangers that we know from the internet?”

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day One Sounds: Yes, The Band, Badfinger, BBS Smells: Fresh baked Subway rolls, Canvas, and cool crisp air! Tastes: Tuna, Habanero Margarita. As I sat around the fire with the old BassMaster during on

Hey you, birthday boy...lets get back to business here!

Hey Aaron...that's not fair! If yer gonna smoke a guy out, at least do it nicely .

Good stuff MD!

I was going to call you a Saint for taking 3 young girls camping, now it's Rock Star Saint for blasting them with the sprinkler. :rofl2:

I would have peed myself laughing!

Day One

I was setting up the kitchen, and washing up station (bed of the truck), and ready to hook up the hose to the camper.

Problem was, the second hose was already occupied.

See the black hose?

20121229_172123_zps2057af7b.jpg

What the heck kind of campsite has two hoses, with one going straight into the ground?

Our site in 1600 had the same issue. Most times not really an issue, disconnect the green hose, hook up your hose, your good. However, since we were with Lorna and company, we had to procure a splitter cause we needed to hook up two water hoses.

Your son has great taste in music. Mine do too! They'd rather listen to classic rock than any of the pop crap.

I like Mr. ofBears better too. No offense MD, but if Brandy had been there the night the hubs and I dropped by, he probably would've hung out longer!!!!

Great report MD. Steph is a modern day Jim Jones with turning us on to BBS. I'm seeing a pattern here with her punch. Drink my punch and follow me to BBS concerts. Hmnnnn.

Smart man.

And the Jello Shots are?

First!!! Another MD report! Woo Hoo!!!

Nice. Thanks for your support! Dave, you'll be in here somewhere.

First loser!

Oh yeah!

I've been waiting for this one.

I'm in.

Great start.

Loved the Disney on Ice photo.

And the sprinkler story.

TCD

I had a stomach ache from laughing when I saw them all wet. My wife said they jumped 2 ft up and back.

Good work.

I'm in

And since "papa bear" doesn't participate on the boards and we all think Mr of Bears is way funnier, lets make it Mr of Bears.

That sounds like an official OK to me!

I'm in too! Great start!

Well at least i am on page one

Welcome aboard!

Disney on Ice!!!! :banana:

Been waiting for this report. I thought about you and BYOB at Crockets. But never made it down there when open. Boo. Next time!

You have some of the photos already, You'll have to bear with us whilst we spin the yarns of epic BTS (Beer Tasting Sessions), several varieties in tow on this run!

Cool!!! Can't wait to read more!!!

You're in it too! This trip was chock full o'fiends!

Good stuff MD!

I was going to call you a Saint for taking 3 young girls camping, now it's Rock Star Saint for blasting them with the sprinkler. :rofl2:

I would have peed myself laughing!

The girls were great. Good campers. It's Ben and my son that are the pain-in-the-ass!

Page one of 2 TRs in one week! :banana:

"Disney on Ice" = fantastic

"Bexting" = my new favorite word

"Sprinkling" the kids = HI-larious

Mr ofBears = sticking

:doublebeer:

How do you top that post?

I'm in... did I make page 1 ?

Edit... Oh yeah save me a Pumpkinhead !.. I'll drink it up on Cripple Creek !

Yes, on page one, but the edit is great! My wife is the pumpkin-lover, not me, however, I'm a big fan of that record.

If you're a fan of them at all, check out the cover of "This Wheel's On Fire" by a band called Guster. It's on a tribute album to The Band.

One of the few covers that I like better than the original!

Your son has great taste in music. Mine do too! They'd rather listen to classic rock than any of the pop crap.

I like Mr. ofBears better too. No offense MD, but if Brandy had been there the night the hubs and I dropped by, he probably would've hung out longer!!!!

I wish you guys could have come out one night and hung by the fire.

My son is funny with the music.

He's young enough that he likes some of what his friends like, but he loves hanging out with me, so he's always hearing differennt stuff.

"Daddyman, can you put that on my iPod?".

His "go to" is Black Sabbath, Slayer, Kiss, and is developing a nice appetite for the Beatles.

But I think his all time favorite is 'Point of Know Return' by Kansas.

Yes, another first page dibs.

Lots of pretty faces that are new to me.

Excellent, come along for the ride!

You're a trip.

Can't wait for more.

Thanks! BTW, There's a Hoity Toity Tea sighting coming up at some point in this adventure!

For the record, that adorable "B" purse I am holding in the pic does not stand for Brandy but for Bella. It holds her mermaids. Looks like I have no fashion sense at all carrying around that handbag.

Fashion sense? On my campsite? Those two thoughts never crossed before!

That first night Bella showed up with a suction-cup bow & arrow, that was perfect. Never noticed a purse. Annie's favorite camping buddy!

Totally ready for more trip report!!! :jumpforjoy

Coming soon! POR and Bob!

Great report MD. Steph is a modern day Jim Jones with turning us on to BBS. I'm seeing a pattern here with her punch. Drink my punch and follow me to BBS concerts. Hmnnnn.

I'm. Great TR. as usual

I didn't douse myself in Steph's concoctions this time. I wanted to remember some of the good times lol.

Remember that little mad scientist on Bugs Bunny? That's what I'm picturing in my head!

Can't wait to read this one. So glad I got to meet your DW this time. Wish there was more time to hang out together, after all we have sooooooo much in common. I was feeling really crappy, so next time, I know there will be more time. But so glad you stopped by and waiting for more!!!!

So MD left off with sending his most prized possession off with a bunch of strangers, aka the FamilyofBears.

Well, we whisked away on our golf cart and yelled something about see you at Port Orleans. Then we got sidetracked by the Christmas lights. Bella and Annie being cold bears:

photo.jpg

Then we remembered that we had their kid and they may be wondering where we were, so we texted we were on our way and off we went!