Congress ding dong has issues with my gen

http://www.chipandco.com/2013/01/breaking-news-disney-hot-water-congress-magic/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ChipAndCo+(Disney+News+%26+Views)

Looks like Disney is hot water over their all new My Magic+ system they are rolling out this spring. The goal of MyMagic+ is to make it easier for Guests to create the Disney experience you’ve been dreaming of-from securing a visit to your favorite attraction in advance… to a digital guide that simplifies how they move through the Walt Disney World Resort hotels and Theme Parks… to the touch of a Magic Band that seamlessly connects all your plans-allowing you to enjoy each moment like never before.

Click here to learn more about what Disney’s My Magic+ is.

According to a letter written to Bob Iger, Congress is worried about the ramifications of obtaining all that information about its guests, including children. They also ask Disney many questions that needs answering, like what Disney plans on doing with all the information obtained from guests.

To read over this letter click here [ Letter -- Disney -- 1-24-13]

What do you think? Does Congress have valid concerns? Or should they butt out of a private business affairs? We want to hear what you think in the comment box below.

I personally don't want the bracelets & have many of the same concerns that congressman has. On the local news tonight they said that Disney would make them optional and if you wanted to go old school with current cards you could.

looks like the real issues are to do with laws on tracking children. If there is nothing to hide then it should be done and over with very soon for the mouse. If there is something to hide then thank god someone is doing there job and protecting the common folk (like me) form bad business practices

But, if they take away the current Fast Pass system, keeping your old cards is still the same as being penalized for not using the bracelet.

That is one of the questions being asked, If a guest chooses to not use a Magic band, what disadvantages, if any, will that guest experience while visiting a Disney Park (i.e. longer waits for attractions, etc.)?

Sorry, I don't see this as an area government should be getting into. They are going to track guests within the confines of the Disney property. When it really comes down to it, what "privacy" concerns should I have with that? That someone finds out I like Big Thunder Mountain, but never ride the Tea Cups; that I had a turkey leg for lunch? I can see it now, Department of Commerce park audit police.

As it is now, Disney already has most of my personal information in their computers. Name, DOB,cars I drive, camper I own, it goes on and on. Is the government going to investigate that?

I just don't get it, the government needs to get out of our business..... As has been said, if I am uncomfortable with the system they create, I can vote with my feet.

Shouldn't he and his staff be utilizing their limited time working on something like a budget for the government (which we havens had for years) rather than this? More and more I find myself watching House Hunters International and thinking about retiring to an island someplace.

Maybe this should be in debate.

... If a guest chooses to not use a Magic band, what disadvantages, if any, will that guest experience while visiting a Disney Park (i.e. longer waits for attractions, etc.)?

Which Disney can spin as "one of the perks of using MagicBands is the ability to take advantage of the FastPass system" - in which case meaning that guests that opt out are SOL when it comes to FP. (total speculation btw)

Regardless, as Carol said, it's all a choice. No one *has* to go to Disney. And assuming they offer the option for people to opt out of the bracelets, there will be a choice there too. Yes it's entirely likely that depending on which option you choose you will get (or lose) some perks, but that's how it works. The company offers you something in exchange for something else.

In the case of this system, or grocery store rewards cards, or store member cards, or pretty much any time you order anything online and create an account with the company and/or sign up for their coupons or newsletters, that trade off is your information.

Grocery cards are another good example - they offer you perks to use their card in exchange for the information they capture each time you do. You have the option to not use the card, and when you do you miss out on the extra savings and perks, but you do have the option.

I get coupons from CVS because I have their rewards card. I regularly get pretty hefty discounts that someone that does not have the card won't get. The trade off is that they're tracking my purchases and I'm sure using that info to tailor the marketing messages I'm getting from them.

And that's what all this is - marketing. The more information a company has about you, the better they can tailor their marketing messaging to you to increase the likelihood that you'll buy.

It's definitely scary whenever any single entity scoops up a ton of information, especially one the size of Disney (or how about Google??) but that is a big part of the world we live in now and staying away from it is getting harder and harder. Frankly I'm more concerned about the hackers that target big companies (and it happens all the time) than what Disney or Google or CVS is going to do with my information.

Targeted Marketing is a way of life now. Whether we like it or not, it is already here. The only thing I can do is limit the information I willingly post anywhere that could in some way cause harm down the road. Once it is out there, it is there forever.

My biggest questions involving the My Magic+ is if the meet n greet, parade/show reservations, quick serve reservations are going to be considered Fast Passes in this system and will that be taken out of my 3 per day? LOL. See, it is all about me, me, me.

My biggest questions involving the My Magic+ is if the meet n greet, parade/show reservations, quick serve reservations are going to be considered Fast Passes in this system and will that be taken out of my 3 per day? LOL. See, it is all about me, me, me.

LOL - I'm with you there Annie, and still waiting to see how this all shakes out.

FWG's good friend Bobby issued a reply today...

January 28, 2013

The Honorable Edward Markey

2108 Rayburn House Office Building Washington, DC 20515

Congressman Markey:

For 90 years, Disney has been synonymous with high-quality entertainment for families and children of all ages. We use creativity, innovation and technology to create memorable moments and experiences for our hundreds of millions of customers and guests. And, as you well know, Disney’s record and commitment to children’s safety and security and the protection of their privacy is exemplary. People around the world trust Disney and its products. That trust is the cornerstone of our company, and we take it very seriously.

We are offended by the ludicrous and utterly ill-informed assertion in your letter dated January 24, 2013, that we would in any way haphazardly or recklessly introduce a program that manipulates children, or wantonly puts their safety at risk.

It is truly unfortunate and extremely disappointing that you chose to publicly attack us before taking the time to review our policies and/or contact us for information, which would have obviated the need for your letter. Had you or your staff made the slightest effort, you would have found most of the answers to your questions already existed and were publicly available online at
http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/pp.html
and
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/privacy-policy/.

In the enclosed attachment, we address the questions in your letter about our new, yet-to-be­ launched program, MyMagic+. However, to ensure that you fully understand our practices as they pertain to children, and our commitment to our guests’ privacy, let me be clear and reiterate the basic facts.

MyMagic+ is a completely optional program that was designed with privacy controls from the outset. Disney does not use personal information to market to children under age 13, does not personalize or target advertisements to an individual child, and never shares children’s personal information with any third party for their marketing purposes. Additionally, parents have full control over their child’s participation in MyMagic+. We have transparent privacy practices, guests can control and limit the amount of information they provide to us — and how their information is used.

Further details are attached

Sincerely,

Robert A Iger

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/disney-bob-iger-magicband-congressman-ed-markey-magicband-privacy/

Has everybody forgotten facebook and google? They track EVERYTHING you search and almost immediately you will recieve advertising directly related to your search habits. In fact recently two of my daughters spoke on the phone about a subject, neither had done anything on the net in regards to it but lo and behold, within 2 hours, emails and specific advertising showed up on the computers. Coincidence? Just watch the ads on the right side of Facebook and you'll see they match your searches and things you have been looking at online, WITHOUT having used Facebook. Pretty scary stuff in my books.