Stef Has A Need For Speed!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very cool! Thanks for taking us to the track with you. I love it! Though, I must admit, I had trouble following along after this: Holy WOW. Molto Delizioso! I had more comments, but now I have for

And they lived happily ever after. Nice work. I'm thinking of hosting a watch party this year for Daytona. I've been getting more and more into it each, but apparently my driver can't get past 8th. An

Oops forgot a question:

Cable TV?

Was there any wind break? I.e. open like a cow pasture or some trees to tamper down the wind?

Why are you bringing up breaking wind??????

Dude! you were an hour from my house. Next time ya better be textin me your 10-20.

Not that I would have made it, my weekend was so busy I don't even remember what I did, but still………if I can make it, I will, with ice cold beverages!

I am also a runner, in that I do it to get the heart rate up and because I find walking boring. No 26.2's on my resume, but I could handle a 5K. Also being a NASCAR fan, I gotta check this thing out next time! just standing on that track is somehow a holy experience for a race fan. I've been fortunate to do it there, but running around it….way cooler!

Nate is a good kid to get up that early and join you for that!

Giggled at the skid mark comment.

I was thinking Genia could ask a few more questions.

Carry on! Loving it, esp. since I also want to camp @ Daytona. MD, we should all bring our boys…..heck bring the goils too…..they'd have a blast! Best people watching evah!

Cool....a race at a track. Whodathunk?

Actually Dave, there were multiple races! We'll get there soon.

I'm in! Better late than never.

Hey Gwen, just happy you made it, even if it's not the Fort.

I'm in.... Not sure how I feel about the Nascar experience. I enjoyed going to the races as a fan, but spent 8 years working in the Poconos in the shadow of Pocono International. Kinda changed my perception. Some day when we meet remind me to tell you a funny story about ESPN and Nascar.

But... if you go mudding again... I am so in...

Oooh, would love to hear your ESPN, Nascar story!

The mudding will be starting again soon. A lot of them shut down for the winter/holiday season.

It's not a cheap sport so they would have low attendance when folks can't do the necessary repairs.

And there are always repairs!

Oops forgot a question:

Cable TV?

Was there any wind break? I.e. open like a cow pasture or some trees to tamper down the wind?

Cable, yes!! Even Speed! It's nice to leave the track and still watch the race.

The outside rim sites have trees, the center sites are more open. Pics coming up.

Oh yeah......48 blew it last year and still only has five more cups than Junior!

That outta do it.

:faceplant2: Crap, ya got me there!

WooHoo.... Rubbin' is racin' I'm along for the race as well!

Amen!! Glad to have you along.

Why are you bringing up breaking wind? ?????

Genia is always breaking wind! :acae-1:

I'm in even though I'm not a NASCAR person.

We love tailgating so much that we talk about going to a race someday, just for the experience. Actually I went to the Daytona 500 when I was around 10, but I don't count that.

You really don't have to be a fan to enjoy the experience at least once!! The roar of 43 cars going by is orgasmic...can I say that here? ???

Thanks for joining.

Awesome. Im in

Good to have you Bo!

I'm in too.

Hey Yvonne, jump on in. More coming real soon.

Dude! you were an hour from my house. Next time ya better be textin me your 10-20.

Not that I would have made it, my weekend was so busy I don't even remember what I did, but still………if I can make it, I will, with ice cold beverages!

I am also a runner, in that I do it to get the heart rate up and because I find walking boring. No 26.2's on my resume, but I could handle a 5K. Also being a NASCAR fan, I gotta check this thing out next time! just standing on that track is somehow a holy experience for a race fan. I've been fortunate to do it there, but running around it….way cooler!

Nate is a good kid to get up that early and join you for that!

Giggled at the skid mark comment.

I was thinking Genia could ask a few more questions.

Carry on! Loving it, esp. since I also want to camp @ Daytona. MD, we should all bring our boys…..heck bring the goils too…..they'd have a blast! Best people watching evah!

Sorry for not letting you know! I see a gathering coming into play for 2014.....

The love of exercise and Nascar is what prompted me to do the 5K. It was awesome being on the track and seeing and touching things that you normally only see on TV.

Believe it or not, there was not one alcoholic beverage in the RV for this trip! (Ok, I made up for that on Saturday night)

Hang tight, Genia may have a few more questions! :clint:

I don't mind, she's a racer too and I would HIGHLY recommend the KOA to any fan who needed to be near the track.

I got a little work to do, then I promise to carry on.

Sorry for not letting you know! I see a gathering coming into play for 2014.....

Slacker! 2014....oh yeah!

The love of exercise and Nascar is what prompted me to do the 5K.

:jumpforjoy

It was awesome being on the track and seeing and touching things that you normally only see on TV.

What channels are you talking about........ :batman:

Believe it or not, there was not one alcoholic beverage in the RV for this trip! (Ok, I made up for that on Saturday night)

:rofl3:

Hang tight, Genia may have a few more questions! :clint:

See above

I don't mind, she's a racer too and I would HIGHLY recommend the KOA to any fan who needed to be near the track.

geee, OK :whew:

I got a little work to do, then I promise to carry on.

Small person, little work. go figure

I'm in.

I've never been to a race. Looks awesome.

Everyone should go to a race at least once!

This race is WAY different than Nascar.

The Rolex is drivers and fans from all over the world. Big money people, driving Porsches, Lambos.....

You do see the occasional beer drinking redneck, but they're few and far between.

I was talking with my cool cuz last night about this. He has talked about maybe this or the 500.

He has a pop up, do you think the KOA would allow his PU and my Tiny RV on the same site?

No, the sites are too small for two campers. Get off your cheap butt and pay for two sites!

Very cool! I have made Alex promise to stop in Daytona on our way home from the Fort next month. Mainly he wants to actually hit the BEACH (its been really cold up here, we're having withdrawals) but I want to see some racing stuff. :thumbsup3:

Do they have a musuem or anything? Off to Google... :puter:

Before we start the run/walk portion of Saturday, Alice sent me some photos that she took.

This is me on the tram with a totally fake "I'm freezing and you want to take my picture?" smile.

IMG_1254.jpg

For anyone interested in joining us next year...Genia, MD, FP4....

Google "Daytona 5K" and all the info is there.

Because runners had to take the chicane that the drivers do, Trevor snuck through the infield and got the first photo of me.

(I'm the short one ::) )

Rolex5KJan2013045.jpg

By the time I got around to turn 1, Nate had climbed the track and taken another one.

IMG_1265.jpg

It was SO awesome. I took my time and checked out all the patches in the asphalt, the tire rubs and scrapes on the walls and even touched the walls that many cars have slammed into at 200 mph.

It was really a great experience for a racing fan.

Coming down the home stretch, Trevor was there, camera in hand.

Rolex5KJan2013046.jpg

I think he was going for a butt shot here but I was weaving and bobbing.

Rolex5KJan2013048.jpg

And I'm done!

Even taking my time and checking things out, I finished in 38 minutes. Not bad for an old fart with short strides.

Rolex5KJan2013049.jpg

I rehydrated while waiting for Nate & Alice. Here they come!

Rolex5KJan2013050.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013051.jpg

It was only about 8:00 at this point, and I was sweaty. We decided to go back to camp and clean up and relax a bit. Driver autographs were scheduled for 12:15, so we had plenty of time.

Back at camp, Trevor and Nate went down the road for an after race snack....

Rolex5KJan2013061.jpg

After cleaning up and enjoying our donuts, we took Mason for a walk around the campground.

You saw the front of the KOA office, here is looking towards the back of it.

Rolex5KJan2013052.jpg

Standing in the same spot looking towards the back of the campground.

Rolex5KJan2013054.jpg

That grassy area you see in the center is visitor parking and they have the exact same doggie-pot waste bag poles they have at the Fort.

We continued towards the back, but there is also a small road to the right with more sites.

Rolex5KJan2013055.jpg

They have built a giant checkboard.

Rolex5KJan2013053.jpg

This is taken from the furthest point in the back. The road going to the right is an additional exit, which also leads across the road to the giant flea market, which you can see in the photo.

Rolex5KJan2013056.jpg

We actually stayed at this site under this tree at the last Rolex. They were doing some kind of work in this area this time.

The office is on my left and you can just see my Jeep in the bottom center of this pic.

Rolex5KJan2013057.jpg

Not a huge campground & not a fancy one but the staff was awesome!

It is also NOISY! Not only are you on the corner of Int. Speedway Blvd and Tomoka Farms rd (which leads to New Smyrna speedway and a landfill, IE: big trucks Mon-Fri) but you also have Interstate 95 about 1/4 mile up the road.

It does quiet down considerably at night...unless there's a 24 hour race going on. I'll give you a first hand experience with that later. 8)

After our walk, we relaxed for a little while.

Rolex5KJan2013058.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013059.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013060.jpg

While we were relaxing, the owner drove right into our site and asked if we had any trash we wanted taken out. Now that's service!

Around 11:00, we loaded up and made our way back to the track.

I'll be back with that soon.....

Very cool! I have made Alex promise to stop in Daytona on our way home from the Fort next month. Mainly he wants to actually hit the BEACH (its been really cold up here, we're having withdrawals) but I want to see some racing stuff. :thumbsup3:

Do they have a musuem or anything? Off to Google... :puter:

The Speedway has a great interactive museum/tour/informational thing….can't recall the name off of the top of my head…..Daytona Experience maybe? We have been several times and it is worthwhile and very fun! There is another place in town away from the Speedway that is more about the history of Daytona Beach and how much racing influenced its' growth.

You said next month……the month of Feb. is the busiest of the year there. The 500 is on the 24th and the weeks leading up to and right afterward are very crowded, lots of traffic, etc. I doubt they even do the tours when events are happening at the Speedway itself. Possibly the week afterward, but I don't know. The worst week in terms of crowds is the one leading up to the big race.

Everyone should go to a race at least once!

This race is WAY different than Nascar.

The Rolex is drivers and fans from all over the world. Big money people, driving Porsches, Lambos.....

You do see the occasional beer drinking redneck, but they're few and far between.

We keep talking about going down to the Texas motor speedway. But the Rolex race sounds like more fun. Think they would let me race in the minivan?

Redneck drinking beer!!!

I resemble that remark!!!

I'm just glad they're few and far between. They tend to drink all my beer.

No, the sites are too small for two campers. Get off your cheap butt and pay for two sites!