DTD rumour….Disney Springs?

Saw this tonight. Not sure what to make of it, probably just talk at this point.

But, if they are focusing on revamping DTD instead of other projects, that is good news for our beloved Fort!

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/rumors-swirl-downtown-disney-could-soon-be-revampe/nWTrT/

There are some far out ideas floating around out there and I'm not buying those, but there are some major changes coming.

It's not a secret, it has been announced. Very little in the detail department, other than there will be major changes that will affect the traffic flow on Buena Vista Drive.

The most drastic rumor is where most of the MP and PI will be knocked down and rebuilt with a parking garage replacing the MP parking lot. All the buses would stop at where the PI bus stops are located now. As they recently spent a lot of money to reconfigure and are now repaving the MP bus depot, I don't see it being eliminated any time soon.

There are some far out ideas floating around out there and I'm not buying those, but there are some major changes coming.

It's not a secret, it has been announced. Very little in the detail department, other than there will be major changes that will affect the traffic flow on Buena Vista Drive.

The most drastic rumor is where most of the MP and PI will be knocked down and rebuilt with a parking garage replacing the MP parking lot. All the buses would stop at where the PI bus stops are located now. As they recently spent a lot of money to reconfigure and are now repaving the MP bus depot, I don't see it being eliminated any time soon.

There is definitely room for improvement on BV drive. I avoid that route at all costs when we are there.

I do not like parking garages and think that is a poor choice. The city of St. Augustine put one in near the visitor's center in the last 5-10 years and it really ruined the landscape of the historical district, imo. Even though they tried to make it architecturally similar, at night it is a big lit up eyesore that resembles a beige Rubik's cube.

Whatever they end up doing, I hope they use the real estate wisely this time. Right now there is a lot of valuable wasted space over there.

Here's more.

Unsubstantiated rumors have been around since PI closed. That poor excuse for a web site uses speculation, fabrication, and wishful thinking. No one ever takes credit for writing the articles that appear on there. Why is that?

Even if it's true, I wouldn't believe it if it appeared on that web site.

The story does take up space though.

The story does take up space though.

As someone who was under contract to fill 30 column inches of newsprint each week for twenty years, I can say from experience that that's all some editors ask for these days...

Bobby says that, because of recent improvements and expansion of DVC properties, more land must be allocated as wetlands on property. Therefore, DTD will be bulldozed, restored to its original condition, and renamed Disney Swamps.

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of supposedly "leaked" concept art on the Disney Springs project at Downtown Disney has been posted to WDW News Today....

http://wdwnt.com/leaked-concept-art-details-disney-springs-set-to-replace-downtown-disney-at-wdw/

Excerpts...

1-L.jpg

Since the cancellation of the

Hyperion Wharf project for Downtown Disney some time ago, we have all been wondering what will be happening to what is now Pleasure Island. Well… we may not have to wonder any more…

2-L.jpg

A few days ago, an unnamed source provided us with a PDF document referring to the overhaul of Downtown Disney by a project name which we will not be disclosing at this time. The project includes changes to the entire Downtown Disney district as we know it, including a rumored change to the name “Disney Springs”. According to the document, “The roots of this destination can be traced back as it evolved around the town’s local spring. In this evolution, clear changes in the environment have manifested, making what we know today as [Disney Springs].”

I'm not sure about this...but the site plan looks like they added a parking garage where the lot closest to the World of Disney store is. There is never enough parking there. Would make sense, although I don't really like parking ramps.

ETA: nevermind...I just followed the link and read the article, and it does clearly state that a multi-level parking structure and new bus loops would be constructed at that site.

I don't think my current tow vehicle would fit in there. I bet your van would not go either.

My van and parking ramps do not get along. Fortunately, the one I park at the most, at Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital in Nashville, has a "large vehicle" section on the bottom level with high clearance. Most do not.

My van and parking ramps do not get along. Fortunately, the one I park at the most, at Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital in Nashville, has a "large vehicle" section on the bottom level with high clearance. Most do not.

I know some guys that will convert your van into a low rider.

I don't think my current tow vehicle would fit in there. I bet your van would not go either.

We went to the Boston RV show recently and ended up in a garage with the Excursion. Holy hold-your-breath-and-duck, batman!

We technically just fit, but there were a couple of spots where there were little humps to drive over that had me nervous - and the antennae hit multiple times.

If I enter the new parking ramp at DTD at a reasonably quick speed I could convert it to a convertible.

If you give me your address, they will be happy to pick it up tonight. Of course, you may never see it again, but hey, they work cheap.

Universal Studios has parking garages and I haven't heard of vans, pickup trucks, or Queen Mary sized SUVS having their roofs torn off.

Even if this story is accurate, they're not getting rid of all the parking lots.

Friends had a high top van when we went there years ago and I think you have to use a certain level that has higher clearance.