I wasn't sure if this info had been shared already (couldn't find it in a search)...

Breaking News! Changes to My Disney Experience App

Posted by: Disney Dining

This just in, guests can now purchase park tickets for Walt Disney World Resort on the My Disney Experience mobile apps!

You can purchase up to a 10 day pass and even add a park hopper option right on the app.

The app does not seem to allow the little published “does not expire” option.

Family tickets can also be linked. Perhaps most importantly, Fastpass+ privileges are assigned at the time of your ticket purchase so you can book fastpasses on the app directly after purchase.

The My Disney Experience App seems to be getting better and better as time goes on.

[see link below] Below are some screen shots from the ticket purchase portions of the app. The new apps are available for down load in both the IOS and Android versions.

http://www.disneydining.com/breaking-news-changes-disney-experience-app/

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I laughed way too hard at this.   I'm not sure whether to flag this NSFW or not... It's the "Hitler finds out about..." style video.   http://youtu.be/LcT6h04qlAI

The more I'm playing with MDE, the more I'm liking it. We spend short amounts of time in the parks, usually pretty late in the day, and only rode maybe one or two attractions, and usually missed a few

Disney will (or already is) use the radio component of the MB's.  Why else would they have spent the money to include that feature in the design?  There are countless opportunities to sell us more stu

Family tickets can also be linked. Perhaps most importantly, Fastpass+ privileges are assigned at the time of your ticket purchase so you can book fastpasses on the app directly after purchase.

I wonder if you can still book right away if you are outside your 180 day window?

Quick question on mm/fp+ - do you get some kind of notification, either from the mde app or via text, that your fp+ window is approaching? Or do you just have to be aware of your selections?

no notifications. have to be aware or check the app on your phone. 

I believe there is an email to book them but not when your window opens to use them.

^THIS^

For people like me with terrible memories, it was a pain to have to keep opening the app to check on reservations. It would be nice, given that Disney has your email address anyway, if it could automatically send out a reminder.

BTW that's the same app that voraciously ate up my phone's battery, compounded by the fact that Disney's WiFi kept cutting in and out so my phone kept switching between data and Wifi, which would then hose up the app, which would then hose up my phone...

rinse and repeat

I don't have many rants from this recent trip, as it was pretty darned laid back and a very good time indeed (in fact this might be my only one), but given how much you "need" that app these days, it's really annoying that it's still such a battery hog and that Disney's WiFi still isn't sufficient and solid enough to support it.

^THIS^

For people like me with terrible memories, it was a pain to have to keep opening the app to check on reservations. It would be nice, given that Disney has your email address anyway, if it could automatically send out a reminder.

BTW that's the same app that voraciously ate up my phone's battery, compounded by the fact that Disney's WiFi kept cutting in and out so my phone kept switching between data and Wifi, which would then hose up the app, which would then hose up my phone...

rinse and repeat

I don't have many rants from this recent trip, as it was pretty darned laid back and a very good time indeed (in fact this might be my only one), but given how much you "need" that app these days, it's really annoying that it's still such a battery hog and that Disney's WiFi still isn't sufficient and solid enough to support it.

I'm tellin ya!! Outlook Calendar or Gmail calendar!!! I hardly EVER had to look at the App on my phone. Did all the organizing on my computer, listed the stuff in my calendar. Even during the trip, since I pulled out the computer for an hour each morning, I made any last minute adjustments before leaving the camper.

That would definitely work if I planned things out in advance, and I did put the very few things I'd reserved before we got there in my calendar on my phone, and I moved things around too much once we got there to bother.  It really wasn't terrible, as we didn't plan a whole lot, and reminders really are something that would just be a nice feature, not so much an annoyance.

The battery/data/WiFi issue is the real PITA.

We made a lot of FPs and ADRs on the fly once we got there - which meant bouncing in and out of the app a bunch. And with no WiFi coverage in the campsites, that also meant eating up data as well, as I wasn't going to truck over to the Settlement just to move a FP.  8)

I stuck with the Lines app for wait times and AllEars for menus much of the time because of the battery/data issue, but also after realizing some menus on the Disney App aren't updated.  (At least on AllEars they give you a date for when the menu was last updated.)

On the plus side, we *could* do this stuff on the fly, but if Disney is going to push people to mobile technology for these things, they really should look at what that means for the average smartphone user in terms of battery drain/data/WiFi coverage.

That would definitely work if I planned things out in advance, and I did put the very few things I'd reserved before we got there in my calendar on my phone, and I moved things around too much once we got there to bother.  It really wasn't terrible, as we didn't plan a whole lot, and reminders really are something that would just be a nice feature, not so much an annoyance.

The battery/data/WiFi issue is the real PITA.

We made a lot of FPs and ADRs on the fly once we got there - which meant bouncing in and out of the app a bunch. And with no WiFi coverage in the campsites, that also meant eating up data as well, as I wasn't going to truck over to the Settlement just to move a FP.  B)

I stuck with the Lines app for wait times and AllEars for menus much of the time because of the battery/data issue, but also after realizing some menus on the Disney App aren't updated.  (At least on AllEars they give you a date for when the menu was last updated.)

On the plus side, we *could* do this stuff on the fly, but if Disney is going to push people to mobile technology for these things, they really should look at what that means for the average smartphone user in terms of battery drain/data/WiFi coverage.

True, data can be an issue. I personally don't have that issue, now Rick on the other hand...... He uses very little at home, because he's on WiFi at the house for his little bit of internet he uses, but at WDW he was using 4G data a lot more.  We actually had the opposite data problem in the campground, we were just close enough to Meadows that our phones were trying to pick up the WiFi from there when we were at the site, but it was really weak. Had to turn off WiFi to let the 4G kick in to use our phones at the camper (Or turn on the portable MiFi that work makes me carry.)

...we were just close enough to Meadows that our phones were trying to pick up the WiFi from there when we were at the site, but it was really weak. Had to turn off WiFi to let the 4G kick in to use our phones at the camper

I had this problem a bunch in the parks.  The phone repeatedly trying to switch back and forth from WiFi to 4G seemed to drain the battery even more.  Several times I just shut the WiFi off completely.

Just a note for old fogies like me who don't have a smart phone or don't want to use it in the parks.  I had NO PROBLEM not having a smart phone.  I had everything written down on one 3x5 card, including FP+ times.  This worked just fine for our hard core touring.  There was one time I lost my card, so I stopped at a FP+ kiosk and they looked up the time for my next FP for me. :)

• 3 months later...

MagicBands now replacing parking passes at Yacht & Beach Clubs.  We've experience having our MBs scanned when visiting other resorts for a while now, but it sounds like the paper parking passes may be officially going away bit by bit...

Starting March 18, 2015, the Yacht & Beach Club Resort & Villas will no longer hand out parking placards for Guest vehicles. Security Hosts and theme park Auto Plaza Cast Members are equipped with Touch to Identify devices (similar to those used inside the actual parks to check Guests' FastPass+ selections) to identify a Resort hotel Guest using their MagicBand. Additionally, Resort Guests can access the Resort using their MagicBand in the Resort Guest return lanes.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/03/parking-placard-elimination-at-yacht.html

A bit more detail on the parking pass update from WDWMagic...

MagicBands to be used in place of parking permit paperwork for resort guests

Mar 18, 2015 | 10:29am EST

The traditional parking permits that are issued for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests are soon to be discontinued.

Beginning the roll-out today at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resort, the parking permits will no longer be handed out at check-in, with guests now being asked to use their MagicBand for parking access.

At the theme parks, guests will present their MagicBand at the auto plaza booth to validate free parking permission. When returning to the resort hotel, guests can enter the dedicated guest lane and use the MagicBand for access through the barrier.

Those guests that do not have a MagicBand can use their RFID Key to the World cards instead.

The change to a paperless parking system is especially important following the recent introduction of the direct to room capability that allows guests to bypass traditional check in.

Following the initial introduction of the new system at Yacht and Beach Club, expect the roll out to continue to the other resorts over the next few months.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus/news/18mar2015-magicbands-to-be-used-in-place-of-parking-permit-paperwork-for-resort-guests.htm

Get ready for longer lines at the parking booths.  With the paper pass, the CM only needed to eyeball it, and wave the resort guests in.

Now, the guest has to stop, roll down his window, and wait for the CM to try to get the gadget to work to scan the MB.

Unless they use the long range capabilities of the MB's.  (which is doubtful).

Also-if there are no more parking passes, how will Fort management know who's allowed to park overnight in the overflow lot at the Fort?  I guess the unofficial policy of letting everyone park will become the official policy.

TCD

I've already experienced this at a few resorts.  It's worked pretty well and quickly each time - maybe 30 seconds longer than before.

30 seconds times how many cars trying to enter a park? 

The parks need to handle a much greater volume than the resorts.

Plus, there are gates and scanners for returning guests at the resorts.  At the parks, every car will have to stop at the booths.  Every single car.

TCD

All fair points.  Maybe this is a sign that the scanners are now working "perfectly" and ready to roll out to wider applications.

Hey, a girl can dream.  B)

My experience with the handheld scanners in the past few weeks has been more miss than hit.

Many times, the CM gets no reading at all from the MB, and then has to turn his or her iPad off and then on again to reboot it.  And, these things are working on a Wi-Fi signal.  They use a different signal than the guests use, but they still have problems with the system being slow or shutting down without warning.  I expect that there will be capacity problems once every parking attendant is trying to scan guests' MB's.

I'd estimate that the scanners currently only work "perfectly" about 65-70% of the time, and that percentage will go down once they overload the system.

Take the bus.

TCD