The TCD Gang Sails Again!: A Four Night Disney Dream Trip Report

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

True story.....Jack skipped the safety drill.  Had he gone, he would have known that there was plenty of room for him on that board next to Rose. 

Really!  I don't know how they conned us into going back to Enchanted Garden for that limited menu when we could have enjoyed one last buffet at Cabanas.  Oh well....next time. 

Those gates reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it.  And then it came to me.   

I want to let you'll know how much I enjoy trip reports, read them all some of them more than once. Don't understand how

TCD can do as much as he does in a trip, makes me tired reading them. Couldn't keep up with him and the twins even if I was 30 years younger. Thanks for all the effort you put out for us , BigTom

Loving the bonus mini- TR!!

What are the dapper dans carrying?

It's is a set of bells? I am not sure if they have an exact name. each one is pitched differently and when they shake them they can make chord. 

Check it out at the 7:00 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8abIQDE70

At yje 9 minute mark I believe they say these are the Eagan Organ Chimes.

A first floor dorm room... I know how important that is when moving in because mine didn't have an elevator. Fun times.

It surprises me that one FL university would have cable and another wouldn't. 

I love the sign Mrs. TCD writes on. Cute idea and something they'll always remember. 

Speaking of Mrs. TCD, I admire her ability to wear the other schools' clothing etc. Z is allowed to go to Georgia Tech (especially if he wants to be an engineer), but there's no way I'm wearing GT gear. In family rivalries keep things fun though. 

Loving the bonus features so far!

It was hard for Mrs. TCD to wear a UF shirt.  She is a third generation 'Nole.  Two of our daughters are fourth generation 'Noles.  But, she can't exactly show up wearing Garnet and Gold in Gainesville.  You can at least wear a GT Mom shirt if Z goes there.  I have a feeling that isn't going to happen, though.  That boy is a Dawg.  No way will he want to go to GT.

Caught up.

First floor dorm room and cable with her favorite baseball team.  That does not SMB.

Nobody knock the pickle emporium.  I bet the pickles are fresh which is more than you can say for the cinnamon roll you can purchase nearby.

Nice trade off.  You get rid of a giant contraband spike and get SM FPs in return. 

Good thing the zombie apocalypse didn't happen while you were there though.  That spike might have come in handy.

A metal spike will kill a zombie?  I am no expert in such things, but I thought it took more than that.  I thought I knew all the standard implements for battling the supernatural, but after all that Twilight crap came out, my daughters had no idea what I was talking about when I said that garlic and wooden stakes are needed to battle vampires.  Apparently, that is no longer the case.  They don't turn into bats at night either.

I love that Twin#2 got in touch with Twin #1 and let her know the day for the planned Disney World trip. So glad that Twin #1 was able to meet you there.

The good thing is that Gainesville and Tallahassee are closer to each other than either is to our home. The twins can visit each other pretty easily if they ever want to.

I want to let you'll know how much I enjoy trip reports, read them all some of them more than once. Don't understand how

TCD can do as much as he does in a trip, makes me tired reading them. Couldn't keep up with him and the twins even if I was 30 years younger. Thanks for all the effort you put out for us , BigTom

Thanks, Tom.  I appreciate the kind words.

I'll bet you could keep up with us if you tried.

Loving the bonus mini- TR!!

What are the dapper dans carrying?

As Jason says below, they were some kind of musical instruments.  Like a hand bell choir.

Loved,the cruise report and bonus mini reports are awesome. Thanks

You are welcome.  And thanks for continuing to read.

Love bonuses.

So glad you didn't have to wait weeks to see the twins together again.

Me too.  It was kind of funny that we had just dropped Twin #1 off on Sunday, and here we were at Disney World on Wednesday.  Didn't see that coming.

It's is a set of bells? I am not sure if they have an exact name. each one is pitched differently and when they shake them they can make chord. 

Check it out at the 7:00 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8abIQDE70

At yje 9 minute mark I believe they say these are the Eagan Organ Chimes.

Dude, that video is 19 minutes long.

Sorry, but I'm not watching 19 minutes of the Dapper Dans.

One minute is my limit. 

This is the second TCD trip report with bonus material. Better watch it, TCD or we're going to get spoiled!!

Well, don't get used to it.

Unfortunately, the trips are going to be much less frequent once all the girls are busy with school.

But for now, enjoy the bonus material!

There is more coming up in just a few.

TCD

Update time.  This bonus material is from our Wednesday August 14 day trip.  We had just finished riding Space Mountain twice, and are now cashing in our Little Mermaid Fastpasses.

It seems like we hit the Little Mermaid ride once ever visit.  The TCD twins strongly disagree with DIT's opinion of the Little Mermaid ride. They like it.  I don't hate it. And, it has really good air conditioning.

It's a good thing we had Fastpasses, because the standby line was long:

81413051_zpsae1023eb.jpg

And, it wasn't moving- see how everyone is kind of leaning on the rocks and railings?:

81413053_zps354bdf98.jpg

We, on the other hand, got to zip right under this waterfall:

81413054_zpsa9e113c1.jpg

81413055_zpsa0d804c1.jpg

But then we had a short wait.  Which gave me a chance to take a photo of the twins together:

81413057_zps8efa86d8.jpg

Then the line moved, and we got right on.  Must have been some kind of malfunction.  That happens from time to time on this ride, I've noticed.  Stinks for the guests in the standby line.

You may have noticed some wet pavement in the previous batch of photos.  We had been successfully dodging brief bursts of rain all day.  Another one looked like it was on the way as we left the Ariel ride, so we headed toward Tomorrowland.  If the rain came, we would ride Carousel of Progress or go in the Laugh Floor for a while.  But, the rain didn't come.  We were right by the Peoplemover, so we decided to ride it.  There was a line for the Peoplemover too! :

81413058_zps0fd09edc.jpg

We had to weave around for a while before we could get to the speed ramp:

81413059_zpseb6fe21b.jpg

That really tall lady caught my eye.  She was really tall.  And, she had a sash on that said "Bride."  I think that must be the groom behind her:

81413060_zpsb49ee45a.jpg

I don't know what to say about that couple.  So let's just move on.

This photo is supposed to show a very long posted wait time for the Buzz ride, but the time didn't come out in the photo:

81413061_zpsdd1caf2b.jpg

I think the wait time was 90 minutes.  Whatever it was, it was enough to tell us that the MK was very crowded, and that it was time for us to move on to our next destination.

There was something new that we wanted to try in Epcot, so we would be going there at some point.

And, we needed to agree on a place for dinner.

The girls know my favorite place.  It isn't theirs.  But, they like it well enough that they don't mind going once in a while.  So, that led to our agreeing that we would go to the Fort for a Giddyup And Go!

Woo Hoo!

We hopped a boat and were on our way.

The Fort wasn't very busy at all.

We were kind of early.  It was just 5:16 pm when I stopped and paid homage to the Lawnmower Stump:

81413062_zps5c292347.jpg

It irritates the twins when I stop and take a photo of the Lawnmower Tree every time we are at the Fort.  As I tell them, the next time we come, it might not be here.  So, I take a photo every time.

I posted some photos of the new beverage set-up in Trail's End in another thread, but in case anyone missed those, some things have changed.  The Nescafe machine is gone.  The Fort now has Joffrey's coffee.  And a Hot Cocoa machine:

81413063_zps5010a314.jpg

So far, the soft drink machine has not changed.  But, they are putting RFID readers in at all the resorts, and it is only a matter of time until they arrive here.  For  now, though, everything remains the same:

81413064_zps17ebe12a.jpg

The big new coffee machine they have here only brews one giant carafe of coffee at a time.  It was set up to brew a new batch, but there was no coffee in the carafe, thus the Do Not Use sign:

81413066_zps332a1104.jpg

There was another carafe over on the counter where the napkins and condiments are kept:

81413067_zpsb417fdf7.jpg

This one had coffee in it, but it was lukewarm.  I saw no signs of Decaf coffee either.  I'm not sure how that's going to work.  If you want a hot cup of coffee from Trail's End take out, that may be a problem for a while until they figure out what they're doing.

It rained a bit as we waited for our chicken:

81413069_zps8e12b70b.jpg

Then it stopped.

I walked around a bit:

81413070_zpsfd3a925a.jpg

But, our buzzer went off quick, and our meal was ready.

They hooked us up on the fries.  No paper bag full for us.  We got a big bucket:

81413071_zps854b1ec6.jpg

There was a question posed on another thread about whether or not you could order side orders separately at Trail's End.  I wanted to research this, so I asked about it when I placed my order.  The CM was not real great at the English, so I ended up ordering a side order of cowboy beans.  So, the answer is yes, you can order and pay for additional sides.  The cowboy beans set me back $1.69:

81413072_zps9b5a20a4.jpg

That was for a small order.  The small container here is the cowboy beans. The large container is the mac and cheese:

81413073_zps067dc41d.jpg

8 oz. of beans is plenty.  Trust me:

81413074_zps21127787.jpg

The mac and cheese was sure cheesy:

81413075_zps1f63073c.jpg

It was all good until we opened the little box that held our cornbread:

81413077_zps747266a5.jpg

If those pieces look small, that's because they were. They used to give you a good five hunks of cornbread.  Like the size and thickness of a big brownie.  What happened here is that they took a small loaf of cornbread and sliced it:

81413078_zps2e33e536.jpg

Not cool.

But, still, for what it costs for all that food, the GAG is still the best deal anywhere on WDW property.

Anywhere.

As we ate, we were entertained by some young hooligans who had swiped the hula hoops from the porch and were abusing them in all kinds of ways, including trying to throw them up and get stuck in the trees:

81413079_zps521a74db.jpg

81413080_zps249608c6.jpg

Where were their parents, you ask?

They were sitting in the rocking chairs on the porch having a drink, waiting to go in to the Hoop Dee Doo Revue.  Eventually, they called the hooligans to come to dinner.  The hooligans left the hula hoops there.  The parents didn't say a thing.

So what?  Who cares?  They were on vacation.  It's all about them!  Someone else can pick up the stupid hula hoops and put them back.  Why should they bother with teaching their kids to respect other people's property?  What an archaic idea!

Call me old fashioned, but if my kids were using someone else's hula hoop to play tug of war, and stretching it out of shape, I would tell them to stop.  For that matter, I wouldn't have let them take the hula hoops all the way over to the swings, when they're supposed to be used by the porch:

hulahoops_zpsa7a64be0.jpg

But, that's just me.

I wouldn't expect these folks to correct their children when they are at the most magical place on earth.  Where dreams come true.  These kids apparently dreamed of abusing hula hoops.  So, let the magic begin!

We did the best we could to eat that chicken.  But, the chicken won.  So, I packed up the leftovers, and we headed to our cars so I could put the leftovers in a cooler that I bring with me for just this type of thing.

The Hoop Dee Doo line wasn't very long tonight:

81413081_zps99058610.jpg

From what I understand, the horse barn was getting a new roof while we were there, but I didn't notice that as I looked over to the old petting zoo:

81413083_zps6dad120a.jpg

As you may have heard, there are plans to tear down everything you see in that last photo and make it into a gigantic parking lot for a new DVC resort that will be built in the area where the remains of River Country currently sit.  But, a new roof on the barn may mean that those plans are on hold, if not abandoned.

If the DVC gets built, this path, which has been here forever, will also go:

81413084_zps6c2ce6ee.jpg

If you look all the way down to the end of this mulch path, you will see the world famous TCD sign:

81413085_zpsaee43eac.jpg

From here, we hopped a bus, stashed our chicken, and made our way to Epcot.

We will pick it back up from there.

TCD

You hatred of long videos would be why I mentioned specific time stamps so people could forward to the important points. I really was thinking of you when I posted it.

LOL!  Sorry for complaining then.  That was thoughtful of you.

But I'm still not watching it.   I saw the guys play those bell things in person.  I've seen and heard enough.

TCD

GAG!

You can really not go wrong with one of those.

Down with the Fort DVC!

Hula Hoop Gang and their parents SMB.

Agreed on all counts.

hung around long enough to see you are back on dry land...whew

Whew is right.

Now, all you need to do is read the next update, and you will have made it to the end of the bonus photos from the one day trip.

TCD

OK, this update will bring us to the end of the bonus photos from the one day trip we made on August 14.

We have stashed the extra chicken, and have traveled to Epcot to try something new.

The Ice Cream in France:

81413086_zpsdeb82c5c.jpg

81413087_zps3d36846f.jpg

I'm not sure exactly when they opened up this ice cream stand, but it was sometime recently, and I've been meaning to get there.

Big deal you say.  Ice Cream.

It is kind of a big deal.  As far as I know, all the other scooped ice cream in Disney World is Edy's ice cream.  Which is fine.  But, I can buy that at Publix.

This ice cream in France is allegedly "Handcrafted From Scratch" according to the sign.  And, they have sixteen flavors. Oh, and that sign says ice cream.  Not gelato, which is what I thought it was.

I'm in.

Speaking of flavors, here they are:

81413088_zpsb160fae1.jpg

Looks pretty straightforward.

Except for a couple of flavors.  I knew about the caramel one.  Apparently all of that extra stuff means salted caramel.  The one I had never heard of and had no clue what it was is Profiterole.  What the Fort is that?  It's OK with me if the French want to eat weird stuff- but at least name it something that sounds appetizing.  Profit Role?  What is that snails?  Cheese?  How am I supposed to know?

As is to be expected, the employees waiting on guests in this establishment look very angry and hateful toward us filthy Americans.  How dare we bother them by ordering ice cream in and ice cream shop?  How can we be so rude and insulting to them?

The way things work is that there are two stops to make. First, you have to pay for the number of scoops your party will be enjoying.  Don't make the mistake of trying to tell the first castmember what you want, and certainly do not try to ask him any questions.  He just wants to know one thing-how many scoops you will your filthy American pig party be buying?  Then he demands your money, and tells you to step down to the next counter. 

At the next counter, you will find the ice cream on display.  Note that the profiterole is there on the bottom row.  It looks kind of pink.  Is it strawberry?  Some other kind of fruit?:

81413089_zpseb5baccc.jpg

Behind the counter you will find about a half dozen young French people.  All of them work very hard to ignore you.  Even if you're the only ones there, and you're standing right in front of the ice cream counter with a receipt in your hand that you got from the guy four feet away.  They saw all of this.  Yet, they avoid eye contact, and will act surprised if you dare open your mouth to inquire about your ice cream.  Anyway, they know they have to give it to you, so one of them will ask what you want.  They pretend like they don't understand.  They're French you know.  Eventually, you will have given your entire order, the flavors, whether in a cone or cup, etc.  And the employee will commence with the scooping.  After the first order, he will ask you to repeat what you already spent several minutes explaining before the scooping began.  But, eventually, you will get your ice cream.

And here is ours:

81413090_zps75b4464c.jpg

Twin #1 went with Mint Chocolate Chip.  It's white.  The French don't use that filthy green dye like us filthy American pigs.  Twin #2 got good old chocolate.  I got the caramel.

You know what?

That was some darned good ice cream.

I will gladly put up with the treatment by the French employees to go back for more another day.

But, I didn't love the caramel.

Maybe next time I'll have the Profit Role.

We ate our ice cream at a table back in the new quick serve area.

Then we headed out of France.

The rain was gone, and it was a beautiful evening:

81413092_zps81e1c94d.jpg

You can't see it too well in this photo, but the setting sun was making the mirrored surface of Test Track glow in a golden color across the lagoon:

81413093_zps35f91ea2.jpg

We headed over the bridge toward the UK.  This is a look back from there toward Morocco.  That new quick serve building is pretty big:

81413094_zps480ba700.jpg

I'm not sure when it's supposed to be done, but they need to finish it before the Food and Wine Festival gets here in a month.  The construction walls block a big part of the walkway- and it is congested enough already in this part of the World Showcase.

It would have been a perfect night to stay for Illuminations.  But, we had discussed this, and decided that it would be smarter for us to leave before then so we could beat the crowds and get on the road.  Twin #1 had to drive back to Gainesville, and I didn't want her to be on the road too late.

So, we exited out of the International Gateway, and we were treated to a beautiful sunset.  Over the Dolphin:

81413095_zpsae62a295.jpg

And over the Yacht and Beach Club:

81413096_zps537c8b20.jpg

What a pretty night it was:

81413097_zps20cb017b.jpg

Sunset over the TCD twins:

81413098_zps9eda01da.jpg

A last look at the Yacht Club part of the resort:

81413099_zpsd732e390.jpg

And this is the last photo- the Boardwalk coming to life at night:

81413100_zps4ece9d06.jpg

From here, we headed to the cars and hit the road.

I meant to give Twin #1 a couple of pieces of chicken to take back to her dorm.  How cool would it be to munch on GAG chicken at school?  But I forgot.  So, I had to eat it all myself.

And that is all.

For the day trip.

And the bonus photos from it.

But, don't be sad.

I never said that this was the end of the bonus features.

We still need to take Twin #2 back to school before the TCD nest will really be empty.

And we did.

And I have a few photos from that.

And, SPOILER ALERT,

There was another day trip.

Didn't see that one coming.

But it did.

So don't leave yet.

TCD

I won't leave!

Really enjoyed the Dapper Dans.  We listened to the entire thing.  

Your day trip was great!  I'm always amazed at how much you accomplish in one day.

One day, hopefully, we will establish our residency in FL and be close enough to WDW that we can enjoy day trips.  That's our goal.  Until then I have to live vicariously through TRs! 

Thank you for the beautiful sunset pictures and GAG.  They are a most excellent birthday gift. :D

I love how you describe the French.  They really are exactly like that.  I made them so mad asking for the bread that goes with my quiche that they gave me the whole long loaf of it. ROFL  Course, then I had to ask for butter and they looked at me like I was crazy.  Stupid Americans eating their pain with buerre.  

Smart move letting Twin #1 get on the road early.

Looking forward to more bonus.

I won't leave!

Really enjoyed the Dapper Dans.  We listened to the entire thing.  

Your day trip was great!  I'm always amazed at how much you accomplish in one day.

One day, hopefully, we will establish our residency in FL and be close enough to WDW that we can enjoy day trips.  That's our goal.  Until then I have to live vicariously through TRs! 

Glad you like it.

We are hitting the home stretch on this report, though.

Time to plan the next trip!

Thank you for the beautiful sunset pictures and GAG.  They are a most excellent birthday gift. :D

I love how you describe the French.  They really are exactly like that.  I made them so mad asking for the bread that goes with my quiche that they gave me the whole long loaf of it. ROFL  Course, then I had to ask for butter and they looked at me like I was crazy.  Stupid Americans eating their pain with buerre.  

Smart move letting Twin #1 get on the road early.

Looking forward to more bonus.

Happy Birthday!

I really enjoy the French castmembers.  It cracks me up how superior they act.  It gets ridiculous some times.

This is almost a never ending story trip report.  I am still here reading and I see another day trip is coming... SWEET.

Yup.  One More Disney Day.

Then we will be done.

TCD

For the sake of completeness, and to put the last one day trip into perspective, I will include some bonus photos from our visit to Florida State University on Sunday, August 18.

We had dropped Twin #1 off in Gainesville the week before.

Then there was that one day trip on August 14.

On Sunday, August 18, it was Twin #2's turn.

She planned to participate in "rush" for the sororities, so she was allowed to move in to her dorm a week earlier than the rest of the students.  They had very strict rules about this.  We could only move her in on Sunday, August 18, and only between 1 pm and 4 pm.

The summer move in and out had been easy.  They had University employees around making sure that the stupid parents just dropped stuff off on the curb, and moved on so as to not block other people trying to move in.  That was way better than it had been when we moved in our oldest daughter when she was a freshman.

I expected things would go smoothly this time too.

But, I was wrong. 

When we arrived at my daughter's new dorm at a little before 1 pm, we found bedlam.  Cars were parked everywhere. There was no order.  It was total chaos.  Like it had been four years earlier when we moved our oldest in.  There was absolutely no place for me to park, let alone pull up to a curb to drop our stuff.  We were screwed.  I had to park a couple of blocks away.  That would not work very well- hauling all the stuff from a couple blocks away.  We went ahead and checked in, and found exactly where Twin #2's room was.  I then took a look around the area outside, and saw a space that I thought I could squeeze into at least long enough to unload the car.  So I went to get the car.  I asked Mrs. TCD and Twin #2 to stand by so they could direct me back into the spot.  It was going to be tricky.

When I got back with the car, Twin #2 waved me down.  She said hang on a minute.  So I did.  A car pulled out of one of the prime spots, and I pulled in.  Mrs. TCD and Twin #2 were waving to the guy who pulled out like he was their best friend.  That was awesome.  I asked Mrs. TCD how they did that. 

It is a small world, after all.  What happened was a considerate guy had been there early and unloaded all of his stuff, and he was going to pull out to let someone have his spot, and he spotted Mrs. TCD and Twin #2 waiting for me, and asked if they needed the spot.  They said sure.  He said he would wait to pull out until I got there.  As they chatted, another dad comes up and starts speaking to the guy.  Mrs. TCD thinks he looks familiar, and asks if he is so and so.  It turns out the second guy is the older brother of one of Mrs. TCD's good friends from high school.  His daughter was the roommate of the first guy.  What are the odds of that happening? 

I forgot to mention something else wonderful that was happening.  A gigantic black cloud was hovering over us, and the bottom was going to let out any minute.  If I had to unload all of Twin #2's stuff on the sidewalk, and schlep it in bit by bit, stuff was going to get soaking wet.  Including me.

But, what can you do?  Getting this spot allowed us to move the stuff directly from the back of the car into the dorm.  That was good.  We put things in high gear, and moved everything in as quick as we could.  As I carried the last box in, the rain came hard.  Phew, we made it!  That could have been a disaster. 

As soon as we had the car unloaded, I made some random mom's day by doing the same thing that the guy had done for us- I coordinated moving out of the prime spot so she could have it.

I have no photos of any of what had just happened.  There was no time for that.

But, now we are in the room, just starting to unpack.  This is the closest I have to a before photo- note it is dark and stormy outside:

IMG_0099_zps5976b025.jpg

Twin #2 has some sorority meeting that she needed to leave for by 5, so we busted hump.  No photos of any of that.

This is the after:

IMG_0100_zpsdb357c20.jpg

Twin #2 went a bit overboard in the Ikea lamp department:

IMG_0105_zps68f53bb5.jpg

The girls did a nice job decorating the desk.  I don't understand where the school work will be done:

IMG_0123_zpsf8c3c0c5.jpg

Did you notice that original piece of art above the bulletin board?  Twin #2 painted in herself.  She messed up, and couldn't fit the word pursue in there, so she left out the "s."  That is pretty funny, considering that she was the editor-in-chief of her high school newspaper:

IMG_0124_zps4896c7a2.jpg

The closet area:

IMG_0125_zps1c531e41.jpg

You see that quilt on the foot of the bed? It's made out of Twin #2's old t-shirts.  Mrs. TCD had these made for all the TCD girls when they went off to college.  Her mom made her one when she left home, and we still use that quilt today.

The bed.  Yes, that's a Duffy.  Both the TCD Twins have one.  I tried to talk them out of it, but you know how that goes:

IMG_0126_zps92a70e13.jpg

The famous official and ridiculously expensive Art of Animation Little Mermaid shower curtain:

IMG_0128_zpsd692eb97.jpg

Another look at the desk:

IMG_0129_zpsb7e4554a.jpg

And the lights:

IMG_0130_zpsa11fd73c.jpg

The storm was long gone when we said goodbye to Twin #2 and cleared out.  I hate to admit this, but the FSU campus is very nice.  This is the area around Twin #2's dorm:

IMG_0139_zpse0663fa3.jpg

This is the view from right around the corner of the door closest to Twin #2's room:

IMG_0147_zpsbead2f99.jpg

That's Doak Campbell Stadium right over there.  it's pretty cool she's that close to it.

From here, Mrs. TCD and I hopped in the truck and headed south to our now empty nest.

It ended up that the nest only stayed empty for four nights before one of our little birdies flew back for a visit.

TCD

I love that you go to Epcot just for the ice cream and then leave. Those of us that live so far away that visits are few and far between, are jealous of that WDW lifestyle.

IMG_0105_zps68f53bb5.jpg

The girls did a nice job decorating the desk.  I don't understand where the school work will be done:

On that nice comfy bed snuggled under that quilt, of course. Who does school work at a desk?