Main Street USA painting

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought you were going to say something else.     Once it's done, "Community Property" rules apply.     Let me ponder that for about 10 milliseconds.........................uhh, no.     Slim is righ

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like "it all started with a mouse". 

That's actually a photo of MS USA taken during a Halloween party. I'm going to change the banners to a July 4th theme seeing that a lot of flags are waving. I'll be doing it in segments, and I take pr

:Lou, I am in awe of your talent.  I knew, from your profession you had to be creative but I had no idea to what level you were.  Your attention to detail is amazing.  The patience you must possess with the undertaking of this piece.  Looking at your work, your work space I realize you are not a crotchety old man.  You are just another Disney fanatic who loves the Mouse like the rest of us.  You just don't wear it on your sleeve like we do.  But I still make a better cup of coffee than you do. 

I had this update ready to post yesterday, but I got distracted by a few responses on another thread. Some of you know which one I'm referring to. Anyway, onward and upward with the positive stuff.

The first photo shows the progress. The difference from the last update is that the left side of Main St. is almost done. It's been a pain because it takes up a very small area on the painting, but it has a lot of stuff that is hard to make out on the photo.

It took a couple of attempts, but I finally got the clock to where I'm satisfied with it. Even though the painting is fairly large, 30" wide, the clock face is only 3/4" in dia. with the roman numerals being less than 1/8 of an inch, it's tough to do with a brush.

Other than the flags, additional tweaking here and there, about the only thing left to do on that side of the street are the people. I have a few in already, but there are a lot more left to do.

The second photo is a composite of what I've done so far over the original photo. It gives you a better sense of the entire painting.

I'd like to give a shout out to Ray.

My intention has been to add some subtle mistakes, hidden and deliberate Mickeys, Snarky, and even a crotchety bus driver. I was going to do it as I go, but Ray found one, so I won't be adding them until the end.

Can you find the one that Ray found. PM me only, if you have.

MSUSA2_zps077b6a44.jpg

MSUSA1_zps26186837.jpg

I stink at finding Hidden Mickeys-so you won't be getting a PM from me.

But, I think I see Spiderman.  Is that anything?

I stink at finding hidden anything, but I think I see Spiderman too!  8)

There is only one. I stopped after Ray found it. Gwen found it today too.

I will not put anymore in until the very last update.

There is no Spiderman though.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for asking.

I developed some sight issues, man I hate getting old, and had to step away for awhile. The situation has stabilized, I hope, and I plan on resuming and finishing it by the end of the year.

Well that just SMB. I'm so sorry to hear that.

I know now much you enjoy your art.

Sorry to hear you have had problems.

Thanks

Well that just SMB. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Thanks Ray.

I don't know if you saw the thread where I thanked Supergeek for adding the option of being able to change the background color of the forum to black. That helped a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week Big Tom asked about an update. The reason for the lack of an update for so many months was due to me getting very discouraged due to the numerous vision issues I was experiencing. I was concerned that I would eventually loose some of my vision. As a result, I didn't feel like being creative.

This week I get back on the horse and resumed the project. So what happened that made me want to paint again?

The issues are not resolved but my anxiety has diminished somewhat after getting clarification on two of the three issues.

Just a quick recap. The first photo is the original photograph of the project. It was taken when the fall decorations were up, but I thought it would make more of a statment if it was decorated for the 4th of July.

Hopefully the finished painting will look somewhat like the photo.

The second photo is of the last update and the third photo is where I am currently.

It shows the addition of a good portion of the right side of Main St.

The colors may look a little different than the photo but that's due to the lighting I'm using. It's a combination of incandescent and fluorescent.

Once the painting phase is completed, I'll airbrush in high lights and shadows in order to make it pop and to give it more depth.

disney-halloween-party-mk_zps42db5529.jp

MSUSA2_zps077b6a44.jpg

MainSt_zps43d90758.jpg