Main Street USA painting

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought you were going to say something else.     Once it's done, "Community Property" rules apply.     Let me ponder that for about 10 milliseconds.........................uhh, no.     Slim is righ

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like "it all started with a mouse". 

That's actually a photo of MS USA taken during a Halloween party. I'm going to change the banners to a July 4th theme seeing that a lot of flags are waving. I'll be doing it in segments, and I take pr

The carousel horse on the right is about half scale of the horses you'd see on a carousel. I made it about 8 years ago.
Gail saw a less detailed, and to be honest, a less attractive, horse for sale at a craft store for about $600 and fell in love with it. I told her I could make one for much, much less, so I did. If I do say so myself, it turned real nice.

The construction is much simpler than you'd think and anyone with minimal crafting skills can do it.  As they say, the devil is in the details though. For that you need some artistic abilities if it's going to turn out looking professional. But the big horse is done and has been done for a long time.

Over the years, the problem has been when people visit, and see it, they want one. Uhh, no, it's a lot of work and I probably will not make another one. However, I have been wanting to make another carousel horse and I may have found away around the high labor issue, make a smaller version.

Recently a very special person saw the big horse and wanted one, and as gift I will make her one, but it will be the one on the left. I've inserted it in the photo of the big horse to show the size difference.
The larger photo of it on the left is just a Photoshopped rendering I made up to go by. Hopefully it will turn out like that.
More to follow.

Have I ever told you I used to collect carousel horses? I finally had to beg people not to give me any as gifts. it doesn't take long to run out of room to display them.

I don't recall that you did tell me. How big are they?

The one I made is the only one we have. Any other one would pale in comparison so that deters carousel horse gifts. We keep the knick knacks to a minimum. Less is better.

My aunt restores actual carousel horses.  She is in her 90's!

Interesting

I think captain Lou is trying to talk himself into a 3D printer.

Btw, beautiful craftsmanship big fella!

Thanks

I'm familiar with 3d printing, or what is called Rapid Prototyping in the engineering profession.

I've used it many times. 

A little too expensive for the home still because you have to get the 3d scanner to get the full benefit.

I don't recall that you did tell me. How big are they?

The one I made is the only one we have. Any other one would pale in comparison so that deters carousel horse gifts. We keep the knick knacks to a minimum. Less is better.

Mine are all knick-knack size. I agree less is better. Dusting them was an all day job, so now most of them are packed away and my six favorites are on display. 

Yours is beautiful, no need for any others.

Please burn your man card now..... Unless you built something manly too.

If you've had a Gatorade, Ocean Spray, Heinz, Coke, or Wishbone, just to name a few, in a plastic bottle in your fridge, then you have something that the machines I designed and built, either produced or inspected at a blurring speed of up to 24,0000 units per hour.

I feel that my man card is more than safe.

If you've had a Gatorade, Ocean Spray, Heinz, Coke, or Wishbone, just to name a few, in a plastic bottle in your fridge, then you have something that the machines I designed and built, either produced or inspected at a blurring speed of up to 24,0000 units per hour.

Pretty sure this makes your man card untouchable. All good products.

My coke is in a can.

Ok, man card safely back in my wallet, lets move on. Not that I was concerned.

I've been doing this sort of stuff since I was a kid.

It actually came in handy during my career too.

Step 1

This horse is 1/9 scale, the project is about 12" wide and about 16" high, so still bigger than your average knick knack.

Here's the time saver, I didn't sculpt the horse from scratch, no need to, it's already done for you and better than you could ever do.

I purchased a 1/9th scale, high quality, molded plastic horse, in a pose that I liked for about $40. Yikes, that's expensive for a plastic toy. Maybe, but you get what you pay for.

Take fine steel wool and rough up the horse so that paint will stick to it.

I selected a flat ivory spray paint that is suitable for plastic. I made sure it was suitable by spraying a small test section on the horse that even if it attacked it, would be covered by the saddle.

Horse1_zps4b484405.jpg

Step 2

Hey this horse doesn't have a saddle, what now? You have to make one from scratch.

This requires sculpting skill.

Go to the craft store and buy some "polymer clay". Flatten a 3"square by about 1/4" thick piece over the horse's back and sculpt a saddle while it's on the horse. Remove carefully, bake in the oven at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes and maybe you'll get this. A plastic saddle.

Sand it smooth and using any glue suitable for plastic, glue it on the horse's back.

Saddle_zps8eed82d0.jpg

Now you have a painted horse with a saddle, good start.

That's as far as I've gotten. Stay tuned.

Horse2_zpse31b526e.jpg

This is great. I know exactly what you are talking about with each step too! My son does this kind of stuff but in miniature. And I do mean tiny some of the things he does are less than an inch high. When he wants to show me his progress I have him stand about two feet away cause even with my glasses on I can't see them.