Main Street USA painting

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought you were going to say something else.     Once it's done, "Community Property" rules apply.     Let me ponder that for about 10 milliseconds.........................uhh, no.     Slim is righ

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like "it all started with a mouse". 

That's actually a photo of MS USA taken during a Halloween party. I'm going to change the banners to a July 4th theme seeing that a lot of flags are waving. I'll be doing it in segments, and I take pr

• 2 weeks later...

As it turns out, it's time for a progress report.

This is the castle portion portion of the painting.

It still needs quite a bit more detail, yup even more, the final shadowing, some tweaking and other nuances, but basically this is it.

It's the most challenging due to the amount of detail and because it's so recognizable. I had to duplicate it exactly, and it is, or will be. The rest of the street will be easier.

The second photo is where I've superimposed my version over the photo's real castle as shown on post #85.

Although it will look a lot like the photo, it's not meant to, It will reflect my style. My style is a result over 40 years of mechanical technical illustrating both freehand and computer generated. It's precise and has a photo realistic quality to it.

I'm somewhat satisfied with my progress, and how it's turning out. 

In case you're saying to yourself, hey schmuck face Lou, why are you doing all this work? This is why.

If I'm still a CM, and that's a really, really, big if, when the next "CM Art Issue" of the CM magazine, "Eyes and Ears" comes out, I plan to submit it. Even though I was mentioned in it last time, I'm hoping that this painting will have more of an affect on the review panel.

CC2q_zps806eb785.jpg

CC3_zps610a4f23.jpg

Awesome job so far, Lou.

I am not clear on how you are creating your painting.

I see in that last photo, where you superimposed your castle onto the photo, that some of the Halloween banners on the Emporium are now red, white and blue.

So, is are you creating a new version of a photo on the computer, or are you creating a completely new painting on canvas?  Either way, you've done a great job.

TCD

Are you going to do that deliberately?  

I think so.

And intentional?

No, it will be accidental.

I am not clear on how you are creating your painting.

I see in that last photo, where you superimposed your castle onto the photo, that some of the Halloween banners on the Emporium are now red, white and blue.

So, is are you creating a new version of a photo on the computer, or are you creating a completely new painting on canvas?  Either way, you've done a great job.

TCD

I really liked the composition and energy of the photo, as there were so many American flags flying, I decided to change it to a patriotic theme instead of the Halloween theme shown on the original photo.

I quickly Photoshopped in some USA banners, and removed some of the Halloween decorations from the photo just to see how it would look in advance.

It's an entirely new freehand painting. 

The only computer involved was the one I used to print out an enlarged black and white copy of the photo so that I could transfer the sizes and locations of all the details correctly.

I really liked the composition and energy of the photo, as there were so many American flags flying, I decided to change it to a patriotic theme instead of the Halloween theme shown on the original photo.

I quickly Photoshopped in some USA banners, and removed some of the Halloween decorations from the photo just to see how it would look in advance.

It's an entirely new freehand painting. 

The only computer involved was the one I used to print out an enlarged black and white copy of the photo so that I could transfer the sizes and locations of all the details correctly.

I figured that you had photoshopped the banners, as you had mentioned changing over to a patriotic theme.  That is a great idea, and the painting will be better than the photo.  You just hadn't mentioned changing the banners.

So that castle part was done all freehand?  That's pretty amazing.

TCD

I figured that you had photoshopped the banners, as you had mentioned changing over to a patriotic theme.  That is a great idea, and the painting will be better than the photo.  You just hadn't mentioned changing the banners.

So that castle part was done all freehand?  That's pretty amazing.

TCD

I'm not sure that it will be better, but it will be different.

The castle and everything else is painted freehand.

That's my painting setup shown in the photo below, and where I spend a good part of my day if I'm not working.

After I sketch in whatever I'm doing next, I use a tablet that's shown on the board to zoom in and get a closer look rather than using a printed photo.

I've been working on the castle for about a week, and even though it's not completely done, I need a change, and will start the next segment, the Emporium.

Untitled-2_zps9b5de85f.jpg

The castle and everything else is painted freehand.

Hats off to you, Lou!

I was an art major in college (design).  I love to paint, but I simply can't paint straight lines.  Are you using a mask?  Or tape?

I'd never attempt a project of this magnitude.

BTW, my style is photorealistic too.  In recent years I've tried to branch out into abstract.  Not having much success.

Hats off to you, Lou!

I was an art major in college (design).  I love to paint, but I simply can't paint straight lines.  Are you using a mask?  Or tape?

I'd never attempt a project of this magnitude.

BTW, my style is photorealistic too.  In recent years I've tried to branch out into abstract.  Not having much success.

No mask or tape. I sketch it in very precisely, then just fill in with paint match the photo.

For me, this is not that big a project.

I've sat behind a drawing board, then later behind a computer screen designing and then drawing each piece for projects that had hundreds of parts, sometimes even thousands. It would take months, and once in a while, years to complete. This is a cakewalk compared to that. And that's why I would burn out every 4 or 5 years.

I've spent more time behind some sort of drawing apparatus than anything else, even sleeping.

I don't get abstract, never did.