• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not let a TA do it and watch the sales for you? I wish I would have learned that trick a long time ago.

Great! Thanks. Do you think the website will show these prices soon? I hate going through the phone prompts only to get an idiot on the other end...lol

As Kelly said let a TA do the work, then just sit back and

enjoy the trip. Wonder where you can find a TA? :rofl3:

As Kelly said let a TA do the work, then just sit back and

enjoy the trip. Wonder where you can find a TA? :rofl3:

It really ticks me off that Disney the multi billion business can't get their website correct. When the site is working correctly it actually makes it really convenient. I don't have to talk to anyone, I have all my reservations at the palm of my hand on the new app, I can make all my dining reservations and when a cm questions my seating time I no longer need to carry the printed dining reservation any more and just show them only phone. Once again Disney dollars over customer service :)

a tent site was $96.19 if you could believe that.

I believe it.

Wow, where is that campsite?  On the top floor of the Contemporary?  Beside the geyser at Wilderness Lodge?  By the banks of the Jungle Cruise?

If one night of campground fees is more than the cost of your tent......you may have a problem.

I just checked to be sure- I paid $103.50 per night for my site on the 1500 loop on my most recent New Year's Eve trip (2012/13).

And, there wasn't an empty site on the loop.

It really ticks me off that Disney the multi billion business can't get their website correct. When the site is working correctly it actually makes it really convenient. I don't have to talk to anyone, I have all my reservations at the palm of my hand on the new app, I can make all my dining reservations and when a cm questions my seating time I no longer need to carry the printed dining reservation any more and just show them only phone. Once again Disney dollars over customer service :)

Agreed.  Which is why I use a travel agent too.  I don't understand Disney.  They would rather pay commissions to travel agencies than fix their reservation system.  Stupid.  But, good for travel agents.

TCD

I believe it.

I just checked to be sure- I paid $103.50 per night for my site on the 1500 loop on my most recent New Year's Eve trip (2012/13).

TCD

And All Star Music was probably $160. Just like the line from the movie "Build it and they will come".

I believe it.

Wow, I love the 1500 loop, but I have never spent nearly that amount to camp there.  Of course, I've also never camped over Christmas and New Year's.  From the sound of the prices, I think I'll stick to my more off-season times.

<Putting on my conspiracy cap>

If Disney wanted to get rid of the campground they could raise the nightly prices so high that people stop using the

campgrounds.  Then they could turn around and claim no one is using the campgrounds to justify replacing it with

more DVCs.

</Removing conspiracy cap>

That thought has crossed my mind more than once.  It's the only way to explain the incredible stupidity that is constantly demonstrated by the idiots who run Fort Wilderness.

But, I just can't imagine that there is a reason to intentionally sabotage a business like that.

So, it brings me back to the fact that they are really just very stupid.  Which is very hard to believe.

TCD

Site rates have been going up approx $5 a night for a few years now - at least that I've noticed.

That doesn't sound bad on it's own, until you do the math and realize that our annual 20 nights at the Fort is going up about $100 a year. Which means our stay next year will cost us about $600 more than our 2008 trip.

It also means our vacation budget is getting tighter and tighter and we're having to seriously start considering what happens next year.

So.... where does it top out?  Or probably more correctly... where do we?

Site rates have been going up approx $5 a night for a few years now - at least that I've noticed.

That doesn't sound bad on it's own, until you do the math and realize that our annual 20 nights at the Fort is going up about $100 a year. Which means our stay next year will cost us about $600 more than our 2008 trip.

It also means our vacation budget is getting tighter and tighter and we're having to seriously start considering what happens next year.

So.... where does it top out?  Or probably more correctly... where do we?

While you are counting beans, don't forget to include the steady price increases of park tickets and food and beverages.  Those have steadily increased every year.

I am sad that my kids are all in college now, and that we will be visiting less often.  But, I think with how expensive it's become, we would have been visiting less often anyway.

TCD

While you are counting beans, don't forget to include the steady price increases of park tickets and food and beverages.  Those have steadily increased every year.

Yep.  Although as far as tickets go, we only buy APs every other year, so the extra $40-ish isn't such a hit.

We've also gotten a bit more creative with how we eat out at WDW and I think we probably haven't increased our spending so much in that dept.

The big variable for us each year is the cost of gas.  We've been lucky in that it's been relatively flat for us the past few years - despite some summer spike scares.

I do worry that as time goes on we're going to have to make some significant changes - possibly even shortening our stays.

I don't like thinking about that...

We actually spoke this evening about how much longer we will keep the RV. I hated even talking about it with the wife but I don't know how much longer we can blow $1000 for 7 nights at a campground. We got into camping 6 years ago to try and save money and get the Disney experience at the same time. That is dwindling very quick. We even spoke about getting AP's this year after thanksgiving. I don't know if we are going to do that now. I think next year there will be a stone mountain trip and a few GA state park trips. After the fiasco with a tow vehicle, I can't see ending the camping experience just yet. I understand in this great economy we are in, prices go up with everything because of supply and demand, but prices of these sites should have never gotten to this point. Ft wilderness is one of the best if not the best campgrounds around. We are very blessed to live so close. Many fiends make the great trek over 100's of miles to experience it, but I believe if we're are to pay these kind of rates for a concrete pad and rusty grill, lets look at the other crap we get that should be better for these prices:

1. Poor management- I hate to say but a Walmart manager could probably hold more staff accountable

2. Freeloaders- need I say more

3. Pool towels- seriously? Would it kill them to hand out at the pool and have a towel return?

4. Quick service food options- I would not call just the pol food and TE takeout awesome options

5. Price of cart rental- 7 day rental could buy you a cart, maybe not a lifted shinny one, but one that gets you from A to B

6. No wi fi- a rinky dink smokey mountain campground can offer free wi fi but mega mind Disney chooses not to, oh I'm sorry, they can't figure out the tree issue

I'm sure you can all think of more things we should get for the price, but we will never win. Disney sees more and more coaches, Prevost and other $100,000 rigs come through their gates, they will raise the prices. I feel sorry for the people who don't have a pop up or RV and are just trying to get a good vaction at Disney because there is no way they can afford a Disney resort and they have to scrape up over $90 for a tent site. Of course the high prices are during spring break when a lot of families bring their kids to Disney. O well, I could go on and on. I guess the best thing about this is someone will get a chance to buy a kick ass herbie golf cart sometime in the near future :)

Damn Disney website left out the 3000 loop again. 2014 rates went up a bit, guys, but you gotta pay for quality and all the improvements we made this year. On a positive note, rates are the same every day to simplify the math for me. No holiday rates, no values, just the usual everyday rate. It is going to be $879.43 per night. Considering all you get on a 3000 loop site, that is a bargain. And you have to admit, the 3000 loop is much more than a place to park the RV, it is a vacation destination in itself. Deposit is still just as buck, payable to me, cash only.

We used to hit the Fort every year. This year's trip will be the first in 3 years, and I don't honestly know if or when there will be another. Gas is a killer. We will always keep the camper, as long as I am able to maintain it and move it around. I just don't like staying in hotels, and with the trailer we can go to the Poconos and stay in a state park. The wife likes it because it is a nice place for her to stay in, and I get my outdoors fix. Last year we had a bad experience with bed bugs at a nice resort in Florida, so that killed that for us in the future. When I look at the overall cost of the camper payment, the maintenance, licensing fees, insurance, cost in campground fees and cost to haul it, it still works out to be less than a timeshare or DVC which I would only get two weeks a year out of.

I agree the new rates make you stop and think. We have decided no AP next year and try dome different campgrounds. Already made reservations for the 4th of July weekend at a different park. My son has decided to sell his camper after the next 2 trips we have planed for next month.

I agree we are going to start to check out new camgounds for next year. Depending on how much the kids enjoy camping the next few years will be the determining factor how long we keep the RV. I totally agree with the hotel thing and having the comfort of sleeping on your own sheets each night in the RV. This is one of the things that got my wife hooked on camping. It's just very disappointing on seeing these rates. Maybe it's a good thing and my kids can now get interested more in nature, hiking, fishing and other stuff I grew up with instead of over priced character dinners, crowded over priced theme parks and swimming pools you can walk on from head to head they are so crowded. Where's Walt when we need him? What was Walts speech on opening day

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

Not so happy anymore now is it? At least for the parents wallets

We were planning a trip for next 4th of July but with the higher rates we might just have to camp over at the Thousand Trails campground instead, we usually stay at Fort when we do the Disney stuff and move to the TT park afterwards looks like for us a site would be over $125 @ night around the July 4th holiday at the Fort.

I agree that these rates suck. They are getting rediculous with the price. I'm not at the point of quitting the Fort, but prices these days definitely limit our spending in other areas of WDW.

I won't be selling the camper...those $15-$20 a night campgrounds that we like to visit more than make up for it.

I don't like spending more than I need to, just like everybody else, but to put things in perspective staying at the FORT in Oct is only about $12.00 a night more than the KOA Deluxe Sites on Seven Dwarfs. I think we all agree the atmosphere and things to do are "much" better at the FORT.

I don't like spending more than I need to, just like everybody else, but to put things in perspective staying at the FORT in Oct is only about $12.00 a night more than the KOA Deluxe Sites on Seven Dwarfs. I think we all agree the atmosphere and things to do are "much" better at the FORT.

I often see comparisons like this.  Where is this KOA?  And are you comparing the same dates?  October rates are much lower than the holiday rates.  How do the holiday rates compare?

TCD

I often see comparisons like this. Where is this KOA? And are you comparing the same dates? October rates are much lower than the holiday rates. How do the holiday rates compare?

TCD

Same dates, Oct 6th to Oct 31 with the KOA discount is $1650. Same dates at the FORT with AAA $2000 so the difference is $14.00 a day. Christmas with the KOA discount it is $72.00 and their rates are all based on 6 peope max. (Children 17 under) So if your family went there you'd pay additional for the girls and I think its aroud 5-6 more per extra person so that would around $90.

The KOA is off of Orlo Bronson (192 I think) next door to SAMS and the sites are tight.

Forgot to add: And you definitely can't go looping. :rofl3: