Condo Associations and Motorhomes

I figured I would post this for anyone who is thinking about buying a condo, that own an RV.

Rich and I (or I should say Matt, because that is important) purchased a condo last Sept. We read all the papers before we did it. We wanted to make sure that we could bring the MH in to pack and unpack it and leave the next day. We all the documents said we could have it here 24 hours. I made sure that where we brought it there was enough room to pull it in, without being in the way or blocking someone in. We could have gotten one across from where my Mom used to live and thou it was smaller, we would have been able to purchase it for about $20,000.00 less than this one, but there was no place to pull the MH in, so we passed. Our realtor was getting annoyed with we because he said I was worrying to much about the MH. I tried to explain to him that it was a very big part of our lives, but he didn't get it. (he just brought a RV himself, maybe now he will get it). Anyway we live on a corner, but pull it in past our driveway so it isn't right on the corner. About 4 months ago one of the borad members called me and told me they were looking into changing the rules. I tried to explain to him why we need the time, I could go on and on about what I said to this jackwagon. He seemed to understand, told me that Rich and I were younger than him and most of the people in our association. there are only 24 units in our association. That they would try to work with us. He than asked to meet with us and another board member who just brought a rv, but hers is a hi-lo and fits in her driveway. They came over and we went thru the whole thing again. He said that they wanted to shorten the time to 16 hrs and we said we could live with that. We the letter came that the board had the proposed rules and there would be a meeting. Well the rule was if it fit in your driveway (hence the other board member) you could keep it 24 hrs. But if not it can be parked 8 consecutive daylight hrs. Well our driveway is 24ft and the MH is 36. In the summer this can work because I get home before dark, but in the winter I don't even get home before dark to pack it. Also if we are going on a 2 day trip or even 3 we have to be home before dark to unpak it. Well we figured we would go to the meeting and try to fight it. Matt came with us because he is the owner, and we are considered renters. They gave him 3 minuets to talk and ignored what he had to say. The jackwagon that lives next to us and is a horder and has shit allllllllllll over his carport, even has a motorcyle on his enclosed lani, had 10 minutes to talk. He said he can't come out of his driveway because he has cateracks (think that is the spelling) and can't see around it. We all he has to do is look to his left and he can see if a car is coming, but I guess if you CAN'T SEEEEEEEE you can't see around a MH. He also said that there have been 3 other misses of people turning in the road and not seeing the 36ft long 13ft high MH. PEOPLE STOP DRIVING.  They also said that an emergency vehicle can't get by guess what we live on a CIRCLE. Also a mack truck can get by, if the people driving it COULD SEE.

Also when I raised my hand they told me I couldn't talk that I wasn't an ower!@!!

. All we can do it park it up front, well Rich in his own style decided what front they meant was different than they meant so he parked it where he wanted to, guess what the security guard stopped us and told him to move it. In Rich style he started yelling at him, I did feel bad for him, he is only doing his job.

Oh well end of RANT - for now.

anyone have a similar experience???

I did talk to a lawyer and he read the bylaws, he feels that they left a lot of loop holes and told me to park it in the driveway, eventhou it would stick out. But then when he realized we didn't own it, he said we were opening up a can of worms. We could be evicted. Matt brought it because of some things we are going thru and I do have to speak to another lawyer to find out if we can get our name on the deed, without him having to pay a gift tax. I am going to try and find that out in the next week. I think once we are on the deed we can challenge it. He said that he didn't think they could change it, but it might cost us thousands to fight it.
We are finding ways to work around it but it SMB.

Thanks for the hugs, I know one day I will look back and laugh, I have laughed some when I think about the jackwagon that is saying he can't see and my MH will cause him an accident, he is one waiting to happen.

When we were coming home the other night a woman rode right into Rich's truck because she wanted to change lanes, there are two coming in, and bashed in her passenger door on Richie's BIG PIMP Truck, that see didn't see, What a place. The funny part is the board memeber who told me that they have make some concessions because we are so much younger than them, turns out he is younger than Rich. But like I said age is a state of mind. and it helps to be able to SEE LOL

Hugs for you and Rich. :hugs2:

We are fighting with our home owners association.  They keep changing the covenant about where we can park vehecles that don't fit in the driveway, but like dave pointed out, they need a quorum to change the covenant and they have never had a quorum at any meeting.  So how can they fine us??

Talking to people like that is :beathorse:

Praying you can work something out!

I have thought of that, but I don't want something that small. We have had smaller units and if and when I retire, I don't want to spend a lot a time in a smaller rv. #2 and this is a big one we can't afford to sell ours for what we would get for it, we couldn't get another decent RV.

I have a similar issue.  We can't have our Fifth Wheel in front of our house overnight.  So whatever packing we need to do, we have to do it the morning we are leaving.  A real pain.  I understand what they're trying to prevent (Cousin Eddie with his "Arr Vee" parked out front for a month, emptying his shitter in the storm sewer), but they tend to take it overboard and throw common sense out the window.

I understand the reason behind HOA's, but I have not heard of one that hasn't turned into a fascist group of old pains in the ass. They get hung up on the most ridiculous things that bother them on an individual level, but overlook some really annoying things that aren't on their personal hit list. Then there are the association dues, which seem to go to ridiculous heights. I say sell the damn place, buy some land so far out in the sticks nobody lives close enough to be bothered by you, and do whatever the hell you want.

I understand the reason behind HOA's, but I have not heard of one that hasn't turned into a fascist group of old pains in the ass. They get hung up on the most ridiculous things that bother them on an individual level, but overlook some really annoying things that aren't on their personal hit list. Then there are the association dues, which seem to go to ridiculous heights. I say sell the damn place, buy some land so far out in the sticks nobody lives close enough to be bothered by you, and do whatever the hell you want.

I totally agree. Our HoA when we lived in a condo almost seemed to pick on the people that they knew would pay. We got fined because our trash can was left out past dust on pick up day! Yet our crappy neighbors had an unregistered car with a flat in their driveway and nothing was done by the HOA until one of the residents called the cops.

Our last house was in a development with an HOA. Never again!!!!!!! They told us it was against the rules to put up a flat pole with the American flag flying on it. You don't want to know what my husband told them they could do with their HOA. We have since moved and do not have an HOA. I will never live in an area that has an HOA again!!!

Our last house was in a development with an HOA. Never again!!!!!!! They told us it was against the rules to put up a flat pole with the American flag flying on it. You don't want to know what my husband told them they could do with their HOA. We have since moved and do not have an HOA. I will never live in an area that has an HOA again!!!

I can see why they got upset. A flat pole you say, why you have some nerve.

Just kidding. HOA SMB!

I HATE HOA's. I'm dealing with some drama with my current one. I will never, ever buy another place with one. Ever. I had a similar American Flag incident a few Memorial Days ago. I just politely told the jack hole that he was welcome to fine me, but I was sure the local news would love the story. That solved that.

Good luck, Lorna. They can be difficult, but it will work out.

My buddy who works for Disney is allowed to have a flag pole, but he was fined for flying a Pirates of the Caribbean flag. They told him HOA rules prohibit flags of sports teams.

Can you add Matt's name to the MH that way he owns the property and "the MH"  Might be easier than the condo. 

I would think that that you would be grandfathered in. too. 

AND if he can't see should be a mute point.....he shouldn't be driving!!!  LOL

okay--i'm sold on not being in a gated community.  HOA's are just there to give old people something to do.   :rofl2:   geesh...  i hope it works out for you lorna!  does it say anything in the rules about having to pick up your dogs doo...  you could just let the lil guy do his duty in the complainers yard.  :bugeyes:

I'm sorry you are having trouble.  I knew when I moved in to this neighborhood that HOA rules prohibited vehicles over 17 feet from being parked in the driveway so I sotre my MH in a storage lot.  I get complaints from one particular neighbor when I bring it home for cleaning, packing or repairs but I now the rules allow me to park it for 48 hours.  I try to be very friendly with my neighbors so I know they don't complain but there is always someone in a neighborhood who enjoys arguements.  I suggest that you learn a little about the process.  I know that the management company takes one month to send out a letter and that I have another month to explain to the board how I have complied with the rule.  That gives me two months.  That becomes important when I go on a trip and lock my house up and close the hurricane shutters for 2 months.  That is also a violation, even during hurricane season.  If you are not being fined or there is a rule that says you have to get a few letters before they can assess a fine then the individual violation letter is not something to get upset about.  When you get your letter just call the office and let them know you got it and will fix the problem as soon as you can.  Life is to short to be getting upset about what HOA's think.  The only thing worse than being the target of an HOA is to be the President of an HOA.  That is a mistake that I will never repeat.

I did talk to a lawyer and he read the bylaws, he feels that they left a lot of loop holes.............

I have belonged to a condo association for several years and can tell you, at least in our association, the bylaws cannot be changed without a majority vote of the members.   The association board does not have the authority to change them on their own.  This is a family owned condo and I have the thankless job of being the unfortunate individual that has to attend the meetings because we live nearby.  Over the years we have had some real complainers and many are just like ftwildernessguy says--"a fascist group of old pains in the ass."