Monkey Business At Da-FIENDed Creek!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Fiends invaded Da-FIENDed.....I mean, Defeated Creek Corps of Engineers Campground this weekend!    Yes, Defeated Creek.  DIT's favorite (except maybe for the Fort) campground!  If you're not fami

I have to say, I am very pleased with how this little trip report is turning out.  There are enough sidebars, tangents and hijacks to annoy the heck out of Bob.  I'm having fun!

I can tell you everynight since the mad Gorrilla sighting I have had to check closets and under neath beds for Izzy and Xander, I gave them the glow necklaces and I wish we had video of the lot of the

I was thinking about you last night. Miss America was at White House Subs in AC.

I thought they are called hoagies.

Go Braves.

TCD

Good catch, TCD.  So Ms. America was at White House Hoagies.  Welcome to 21st century Jersey. 

That morning looked like heaven to me you're one lucky man!

Looking forward to more.

WBI

Thanks Nick! 

They are hoagies.

Anna looks big. I hate that whole "growing up" thing. I keep trying to stop my kids too.

Defeated looks beautiful! I'd love to make it there someday. 

I hate baseball, but Go Braves. (That is baseball, right?)

Who's ready for the start of the eating?  Let's get rolling with some Preakfast Born....as Aaron has named it. 

My kids needed a pre-breakfast appetizer while we were enjoying coffee, so out came some Pop Farts. 

DSCN2785.JPG

That is pure camping nutrition, right there. 

It wasn't too long before Fiends started showing up with food. 

Judy walked over with a crockpot full of sausage gravy. 

DSCN2788.JPG

I've got to tell you, sausage gravy is one of those things that can absolutely rock my socks off, or it can disgust me.  The stuff you usually get on buffets, or in hotel lobbies, is typically a gloppy mess that tastes pretty much like someone stirred together some flour and milk. 

And then there's Judy's sausage gravy.  :heart:

I made a fool of myself with that stuff.  I enjoyed it first on some biscuits.  But then I just said to heck with it, and scooped out big handfuls from the crockpot.  Ok, I didn't actually do that.  But I thought about it. 

Judy also fried up some links of joy. 

DSCN2789.JPG

I made 3 1/2 pounds of Wright's bacon, and I scrambled up a mess of eggs too.  Here are some eggs with a random bagel for someone making a bagel sammich.

DSCN2801.JPG

Fiends gathered and ate, and talked, and ate some more, and talked LOTS more.

DSCN2802.JPG

Toasters aren't good enough for my kids.  They like to roast their bagels. 

DSCN2800.JPG

A gaggle of Fiend kids.

DSCN2799.JPG

DSCN2798.JPG

And another Anna shot to keep the natives happy. 

DSCN2797.JPG

We all sat around and talked for quite a while.  The nice thing about Defeated Creek is that there isn't a whole lot to do.  At GG's at places like the Fort and Stone Mtn, people leave to do things.  At Defeated Creek, the kids just go play and the adults visit.  It was the most relaxing weekend I've had in a while. 

Coming up....the DIT girls hunt for firewood by attacking a poor tree. 

Anna is getting so big!  And she is so stinking cute!  You have a great-looking family!

But I can't agree about the weather being good.  Coats/sweatshirts and long pants just don't mix with camping.  A nice cool 70 degree morning is tolerable.  Well, maybe in the high 60s.

Anna is getting so big!  And she is so stinking cute!  You have a great-looking family!

But I can't agree about the weather being good.  Coats/sweatshirts and long pants just don't mix with camping.  A nice cool 70 degree morning is tolerable.

I know you are one of those people who likes heat.  I don't necessarily mind heat if all I need to do is walk to my car to go somewhere.  But if I have to do anything outside, or am camping, I like it cool.  This weekend the highs were in the upper 70's and it was in the low 50's in the morning.  Perfect!  I figure, if it is cool I can layer on a sweatshirt and be comfy.  If it's hot, I can't really get naked to be comfortable.  Ain't NOBODY wants to see that. 

I was very disappointed when I woke up this morning and realized that not only would I have to make my own breakfast, but it was not going to include bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits or gravy.

Oh on the subject of nothing to do. I have to disagree here. What I found was there was plenty of opportunities to do things. Jessica and I noticed things like tennis courts, volleyball, boating, fishing, hiking trails, open fields to play ball, places to ride bikes and of course a playground. The beauty of Defeated Creek is you don't feel the need to rush off and do all these things, but they are there if you want to.

For Bob...Go Braves!

I was very disappointed when I woke up this morning and realized that not only would I have to make my own breakfast, but it was not going to include bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits or gravy.

Oh on the subject of nothing to do. I have to disagree here. What I found was there was plenty of opportunities to do things. Jessica and I noticed things like tennis courts, volleyball, boating, fishing, hiking trails, open fields to play ball, places to ride bikes and of course a playground. The beauty of Defeated Creek is you don't feel the need to rush off and do all these things, but they are there if you want to.

For Bob...Go Braves!

You are right....there is actually a TON to do if you feel inclined.  There is also the dam visitor center, the petting farm from my last trip report, and a bunch more.  But sitting seems to be the number 1 thing, or at least was this weekend. 

Wait a second here. No pictures of the 3.5 lbs of BACON?!? Dave, seriously you have failed me.

No, I am actually doing you a favor.  You can't handle the bacon pics! 

I know you are one of those people who likes heat.  I don't necessarily mind heat if all I need to do is walk to my car to go somewhere.  But if I have to do anything outside, or am camping, I like it cool.  This weekend the highs were in the upper 70's and it was in the low 50's in the morning.  Perfect!  I figure, if it is cool I can layer on a sweatshirt and be comfy.  If it's hot, I can't really get naked to be comfortable.  Ain't NOBODY wants to see that. 

:rofl2:

In the low 50s I'd be wearing my winter coat with the hood pulled over my head.  I might leave off the scarf.  In the low 40s I pull out a heavier coat and add the scarf and gloves.  In the low 30s or below I don't even want to go out of the house until spring.

I can always find ways to cool off in hot weather, but it's hard to get warm in the cold!

Wondering if any if the other fiend kids there came home with bug bites or possibly poison ivy? Jessica has a bunch on her arms legs and stomach. Taking her to the doctor here soon.

No, but Gwen got poison ivy one year at Defeated Creek so bad her eyes sealed shut.  We've never encountered it there since then, though.  I hope Jessica didn't get into that.