Monkey Business At Da-FIENDed Creek!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Fiends invaded Da-FIENDed.....I mean, Defeated Creek Corps of Engineers Campground this weekend!    Yes, Defeated Creek.  DIT's favorite (except maybe for the Fort) campground!  If you're not fami

I have to say, I am very pleased with how this little trip report is turning out.  There are enough sidebars, tangents and hijacks to annoy the heck out of Bob.  I'm having fun!

I can tell you everynight since the mad Gorrilla sighting I have had to check closets and under neath beds for Izzy and Xander, I gave them the glow necklaces and I wish we had video of the lot of the

Moving along....

After dinner, the adults all migrated back to Bob's site next door, because Kathy had to stay there as Peanut was not feeling well and was napping.  The kids all took off again to the playground. 

DSCN2835.JPG

As you can see, it was getting dark. 

Desserts were coming out....which we had no room for but when does that stop anyone?

DSCN2840.JPG

The cake on the left with cherries was made by Yvonne, and was delicious.  It had pineapple, coconut, lots of creamy goodness, and who knows what else.  I liked it.  I think Carol had picked up the pie on her Walmart run, and it was gone before anyone could blink.  The kids got wind of it and descended like vultures. 

Kathy's coffee also came out.  More sitting around and gabbing ensued.  I built a fire and burned the wood that Bob saved from the thieves....did we tell that story yet?  I can't remember.  If not, I'll let Bob tell it. 

DSCN2838.JPG

Apparently it started to snow at some point.

DSCN2839.JPG

So at some point after dark, one of the Fiends (I'm sorry I don't know who) got out a bunch of glow necklaces.  Every Fiend between 7 and 15 was wearing them around their necks and doing a conga line from the playground to Bob's site.  It was pretty hilarious.  They went back and forth a couple times if I remember right, but then something happened. 

They came running back with their glowing necklaces around their necks, but some of them were screaming and visibly upset.  The little ones were saying "Monkey, MONKEY!!".  The older kids said that some obnoxious kids with a strobe light were hanging out at the playground shining the light into everyone's eyes.  The adults said "ok, but what are the little one's talking about with the monkey??".  The older kids said "oh yeah, there's a guy in a gorilla suit scaring kids". 

Well, we figured that was creepy enough to keep the kids home at this point.  But that wasn't enough for YC.  He decided to teach those obnoxious kids a lesson, so he went over with his flashlight, shined it in their eyes, and said "Do you like that??". 

"No, sir". 

And that was it for the strobe light. 

Eric came back and told us what he had done, and we all said "yeah yeah, that's great, but what about the monkey??"

He said, "oh yeah, there's a guy in a gorilla suit". 

I needed to get a picture of that. 

But I didn't. 

This is the best I have.

DSCN2836.JPG

Doh! 

Y'all can say "pics or it didn't happen" all you want.  But if you say that, you are calling YC a liar.  As well as all the Fiend kids who are forever traumatized by the Wild Monkey Man of Defeated Creek. 

So that was pretty much it for Saturday night.  It got chilly pretty quickly, so we moved in closer to the fire.  INC and I didn't last too long, as Anna had gotten us up at 4:30 that morning.  We slept like babies that night.  Which unfortunately brought us to our last morning.  But don't worry, there's still more eating and Fiend gathering to be done.  This is not over yet.....

I can tell you everynight since the mad Gorrilla sighting I have had to check closets and under neath beds for Izzy and Xander, I gave them the glow necklaces and I wish we had video of the lot of them doing the conga line back and forth in the dark.. that was priceless!! 

I may never be able to take them to another zoo.. DAMN THE GORILLA MAN, DAMN HIM TO HELL!!

I vote next GG one of us get's snuckered up and wear a my easter bunny costume..   I personally think Bob would make a great drunken Easter bunny..

Loving this trip report!  I am thinking I just need to choose a weekend and declare it an SC GG.  I miss my Fiends!

You have enough Fiends in the Carolinas to plan an awesome GG.  Do it!! 

I am seeing a pattern here. Nothing good goes on at playgrounds after dark. There were some punk kids at Gettysburg at the playground at night too which led us to keeping our well behaved kids up with us.

And the gorilla suit? That's just odd.

Playgrounds after dark are the realm of the absurd. 

I can tell you everynight since the mad Gorrilla sighting I have had to check closets and under neath beds for Izzy and Xander, I gave them the glow necklaces and I wish we had video of the lot of them doing the conga line back and forth in the dark.. that was priceless!! 

I may never be able to take them to another zoo.. DAMN THE GORILLA MAN, DAMN HIM TO HELL!!

I vote next GG one of us get's snuckered up and wear a my easter bunny costume..   I personally think Bob would make a great drunken Easter bunny..

The glow necklaces were a great idea.  That vision of them streaming across the road and all we could see were glowing necklaces was awesome. 

I'm sorry you are still having gorilla issues. 

A conga line?

Awesome!

Was there, perchance, a giant banana anywhere in the vicinity of the gorilla man?  Something like this?:

FWHalloween2008042.jpg

TCD

I am not aware of any giant bananas.  YC would have first hand knowledge of that, though. 

I agree!

Go Braves

Yes, go Braves. 

What was I thinking?  Scratch the IV idea.  how about a funnel? 

That could work, would be efficient and provide the desired ability to taste.

Go Vols,  We will continue to take some lumps but it will turn out fine.   We went 5-6 in 88 and bounced back to 11-1 in 89. If we did it once we can do it again soon.  

If you have any contacts left, please call them and tell them to hurry :)

It's getting painful at this point.

So at some point after dark, one of the Fiends (I'm sorry I don't know who) got out a bunch of glow necklaces.  Every Fiend between 7 and 15 was wearing them around their neck

Target usually has those glow necklaces\bracelets in the dollar section at the front of the store. Every once and a while you can find then 50% off.....that's 50 cents per necklace and\or bracelet. I gladly purchase about $10 at a time to provide the kids endless entertainment in the evening adults some time not worrying about the kids.

Target usually has those glow necklaces\bracelets in the dollar section at the front of the store. Every once and a while you can find then 50% off.....that's 50 cents per necklace and\or bracelet. I gladly purchase about $10 at a time to provide the kids endless entertainment in the evening adults some time not worrying about the kids.

We alway have a few tubes of them at home. Good for when the power goes out too.

I forgot a comment I meant to make.

You people who haven't tried biscuits and gravy and monkey bread should be on Fiend probation until those oversights are corrected.

TCD

I agree.  And I'd add grits to the list. 

And speaking of grits....we had two kinds for breakfast on Sunday morning.  That is coming up in the next update. 

(you like the anticipation building I did there?) 

We've been dragging this little weekend report out quite nicely, don't you think?  But the time has arrived where we need to put this to bed.  And so....with that, we arrive at Sunday morning.

Just like the rest of the weekend, the weather was spectacular.  Perfect for sitting under the awning, enjoying our coffee and watching the lake wake up. 

DSCN2841.JPG

DSCN2842.JPG

DSCN2843.JPG

Before too long, Carol wandered over with a big pack of sausage and some eggs, asking if we were having breakfast at our site again.  Absolutely!  I asked if she wanted me to fry up the chow and she said "sure!". 

So....here's the first pan of what ended up being 3 pans of sausage.

DSCN2844.JPG

I combined Carol's dozen eggs with what we had left...and fried up a big pan of scrambled eggs again.

DSCN2846.JPG

I had a whole bunch of biscuits left over, as well as a bunch of bacon from the day before.  Judy had a bunch of fried eggs, bacon and sausage she brought over as well.  And Yvonne's cake made another appearance. 

DSCN2845.JPG

Both Judy and Mrs YC made grits....Judy's with cheese in them and Mrs YC's with cheese on the side.  Both good! 

DSCN2847.JPG

YC also made a big batch of pancakes, and we had bagels as well. 

In other words, it was another feast! 

We sat around eating and gabbing yet again.  That went on for several hours. 

Anna took off running toward the lake again, mainly to get YC to run after her again.  Let me tell you...that YC can move fast! 

Unfortunately, we couldn't sit all day.  By late morning, my older girls were starting to mention the homework they had to get done before going to Youth groups that evening.  We had to pack up and make the 2 hour drive home. 

Boo! 

Packing up and leaving always stinks.  No matter what. 

A campsite always looks so bare after putting everything away, doesn't it?

DSCN2853.JPG

My Emma got a lesson in hooking up the trailer.

DSCN2856.JPG

While Foofy supervised.

DSCN2858.JPG

While some of us were busy working, others were having some fun with the camera....

DSCN2864.JPG

And doing Miley impersonations.

DSCN2867.JPG

After getting hooked up, we said our goodbyes and headed for home.  The drive was quick and uneventful, and before long we were at home and missing our friends. 

So, until next time, that's that. 

Boo to any adult wearing a gorilla costume and scaring children.

INC is beautiful.

Gwen has eyelashes to die for.  I grew up as a blonde, blue-eyed Gwen with short, stubby eyelashes.  Now they are practically nonexistent.  Thank you, Mary Kaye, for making me look like I have eyelashes.