Christmassy Boost 2014

We just returned from our first Halloween at the Fort, and loved it, but really hate to have missed Christmas by a hair. We are talking about another trip, about this time, in 2014. We want to be there early enough to get at least a couple of days at Food & Wine, but late enough to get as much Christmas as possible (gingerbread house, WL tree, MVMCP, Osbourne). We will probably stay about 9 days or so (14 would be a real stretch). I would certainly have to be home no later than Black Friday, as that's when my season really kicks into gear (though this year I will have already done 7-8 events by then). So, when would you book given those druthers? I think F&W ends around the 10th, and MVMCP seems to start around the 8th. It seems like CP and the world showcase interpreters start entirely too late for us to catch. Not sure about GF and WL decorating schedules.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit that I've had my nose tweaked by more than one person on this board but it was always in good clean fun. There was once or twice that I was really offended and was going to leave. But a

We will be there Nov 4-10.  Also planning on the MVMCP on the 7th.    And, since this will be probably one of the very few times we have a reason to decorate for Christmas, we will be doing so!  I got

As long as Lou is there, I'm sure there will be no shortage

Last year, on November 7th and 8th, I was able to visit the Osborne Lights and the Food and Wine Festival on the same night.  That was fun.

The MK Christmas decorations should be up by around the 8th of November, and the Fort's decorations were up by the 18th last year as well.

So it's looking like you would want to be arriving around the 8th or 9th and staying through the 18th/19th.

TCD

Just remember that the "rumor" is out there that Osborne lights are going to EPCOT. I don't think there was any date stipulated however.

I don't believe that rumor.

But it was just a few years back that the Osborne lights did not start until after Thanksgiving.  I don't know why, but you never know what might happen.  Every year is a little different.

TCD

I can certainly buy that Osborne may not continue on the streets of America... I would expect that the be the perfect expansion area for Star Wars. But I would expect that if they're going to keep the Osborne elements that they just move it to a different part of Hollywood studios. I also can't believe that they would put something so American as the Osborne lights over the top of world showcase elements. And putting them in future world just seems silly. Downtown Disney seems a better option than Epcot, IMHO.

• 8 months later...

Ok, back to planning my trip! We have ressies for the Fort beginning on Nov 3 through the 21st, but I have to be back in Raleigh by the 15th for my first event. We want to hit Food & Wine multiple days before it ends on the 10th. And I want to get in as much Christmassy stuff as possible before leaving. I have plans to do MVMCP, probably on the 7th. And Osborne should be going by the 10th(?). What else might be done by then? It doesn't sound like the Fort or WL will be decorated. The Gingerbread house will be under construction. Will the icon trees be up at the parks? I assume DHS will, and MK will be decked out for the party. What else might be done by, say, the 13th?

BTW, I'll be releasing that extra weeks worth of dats as soon as my retainer for that event on the 15th comes in... cause if the contract falls through we may just stay a bit longer. I'll be releasing them through Jason, so if he's your agent too maybe he can transfer them, or snatch them right back up?

Decorations in the parks have been going up earlier and earlier the past few years. It's very possible you'll see the trees and some other decorations up in the other parks as well before you leave.  Last year the other parks started decorating pretty soon after MK was done (in time for the first MVMCP).

Last year the decorations at the Fort went up November 17 and the Lodge decorations went up Nov. 18 and all resorts were scheduled to be completed by 11/21 - all of which is earlier than previous years. The gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian was done Nov. 16.

Of course we're talking Disney so.... your mileage may vary.

Ok, back to planning my trip! We have ressies for the Fort beginning on Nov 3 through the 21st, but I have to be back in Raleigh by the 15th for my first event.

:jumpforjoy  Hopefully we will finally get to meet you!  We plan to stay until the morning of 11/4.  BTW, even though you won't be there for Halloween, I've added you to the list since several Fiends have dates overlapping yours.  It's here:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/10515-halloween-2014/

One of these years we will be finished with this house, and will pack it in and move to FL! That will be the year I actually get to see the Candlelight Processional, and see the national interpreters, and all the resort decorations. Until then I am blessed to have the time with the kiddos that I do!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I need some advice. We were hoping to go to The Wave en route to MVMCP from Fort Wilderness to get a big lunch so we could just snack at the party. Well, I've been reading some horrible reviews lately. The main reason I picked it was it'd be very convenient. We did Kona last year, and that worked out great, but not sure I want to try with all the upheaval. Thought about Whispering Canyon and GF Cafe, but not sure. Any other ideas? I don't want to waste park-time dining, so nothing inside MK. And, I'd prefer not to deal with parking and trams, so preferably a monorail resort or WL (though I guess driving elsewhere is an option). Ideas?

I'd stick with "The Wave". The reviews I've seen give it an average of 4 stars or better.

The Disney food blog...........we were pleased with The Wave

The Disney Tourist Blog......... the Wave is an excellent–and highly underrated

Trip Advisor...........this restaurant delivers a variety of delectable dining experiences

All Ears..........The Wave wins high praise from me.

Isn't TE just sandwiches for lunch?

Chicken Waldorf Salad

Chicken Waldorf with Tart Cherries, Grapes, Apples, and Candied Pecans

$11.99

Fresh Berries with Grilled Chicken Breast

Fresh Berries and Grilled Chicken Breast with Blue Cheese, Pecans, and Raspberry Vinaigrette

$12.99

Roasted Vegetable Flatbread

Roasted Garden Vegetable Flatbread with Dixie Bean Humus and Cajun-style Tofu

$12.99

"BLT" Flatbread

Bacon Marmalade with Melted Cheddar and topped with Arugula, Goat Cheese, and Balsamic Drizzle

$13.99

Barbecue Pulled Pork Sandwich

Slow-smoked Barbecue Pulled Pork with Country Slaw and Pickled Green Tomatoes served with House Fries

$12.49

Angus Chuck Cheeseburger

with Candied Bacon, Hickory-smoked Sharp Cheddar, and Smokehouse Relish served with House Fries

$14.99

Shrimp Po' Boy

on Brioche Roll with Tasso Ham, Country Slaw, and Béarnaise Aïoli served with House Fries

$13.99

Pan-fried Catfish

with Southern Collard Greens, House Fries, and Rémoulade

$15.99

Chicken and Waffles

Fried Chicken Fillets and Buttermilk Waffles with Warm Buttered Rosemary-Maple Syrup

$14.49

Spicy Shrimp and Grits

with Andouille Sausage and Red-Eye Gravy

$17.99