Tanglewood Toast UnRally - an Escape to North Carolina

As has been lamented on the "Unfullfilled" thread, I missed a LOT of camping this year. Especially about 20 nights at Disney, all due to unforeseen circumstances.  However, I wanted to take the T@B out one last time before the busy Christmas time set in, and when one of my T@B friends announced a trip to Tanglewood Park in North Carolina, I jumped on!!

I have a few pictures to share.

The first is of the first stop I made at the Sweetwater I-75 KOA in TN.  Just stopped for an overnight.  http://koa.com/campgrounds/sweetwater/

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

The next morning, checked some email and ended up working for a couple of hours, but got on the road to my destination about 11.

More coming soon.

As has been lamented on the "Unfullfilled" thread, I missed a LOT of camping this year. Especially about 20 nights at Disney, all due to unforeseen circumstances.  However, I wanted to take the T@B out one last time before the busy Christmas time set in, and when one of my T@B friends announced a trip to Tanglewood Park in North Carolina, I jumped on!!

I have a few pictures to share.

The first is of the first stop I made at the Sweetwater I-75 KOA in TN.  Just stopped for an overnight.  http://koa.com/campgrounds/sweetwater/

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

Sweetwater is a pretty nice stop, I just don't care for the hard somewhat blind turn going in.

I'd like to give you all a little history about Tanglewood Park.

It was the country estate of William Neal and Kate B. Reynolds.  Will was born on 3/22/1863.  He was the brother of R. J. Reynolds, the tobacco magnate.  Among other interests, he bred and raced prize-winning horses on the estate.

When Reynolds passed away 9/10/1951, Forsyth County received the park through his will to be operated as a "a public park, playground, and amusement center for the white race," (Copyright 1994 by the University of North Carolina Press.)

Eventually after desegregation, the city of Winston-Salem acquired the park and opened it to the general public.  It is a wonderful park, and we have spent many, many hours there.  Tanglewood is over 1100 acres of rolling countryside.  It has 3 golf courses, one of which has hosted a PGA Championship and several Senior PGA Championships.  It's a great place to go bike riding.  You can ride horses, even board your own, ride paddleboats, swim, picnic, etc.  It also has a B&B, a hotel, cabins, a small country church, and a graveyard.  

Until around 2002 they had a great little campground.   When our oldest was mature enough to be in charge of the other two during the day, we'd take our trailer out there and camp for a week or two in the summer.  Back then we paid around $14 a night to camp, and that also gave us free admission into the park, got the kids into the pool and gave them fishing privileges for free.  A daily pool pass for 3 would have cost more than the site rental. What a bargain!  David and I would drive into work every day from there and the kids had a ball.

Then suddenly the campground was shut down.  The excuse was the sewer system needed updating and the county didn't have the money.  So it sat empty for several years.

Then a few years ago it was reopened, but it is operated by an outside source.  Camping there doesn't give you admittance into the park or any of its amenities.  That's sad.

I'm looking forward to Carol's opinion of staying there now.

If you're ever in the area, it's a decent place to spend a few nights.  And a lot to do and see within a 20-mile drive. 

• 1 month later...

Happy to have hopped in here and not be too far behind!  So woefully behind in reading TR's.  As in, months worth.  Gives me something to do on these cold days here in the frozen Northeast.

Looking forward to hearing more, that is if you survive this weekend ;0

• 5 weeks later...

I am finally back to this report.

Although, I'm realizing, I didn't take that many pictures here either. It was coooooold this trip, and I tended to hunker down in front of my heater.

We did go into town one morning and stopped a couple of places. (Can't remember where anymore)

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

Our group stopped for lunch at a local Barbecue place

IMG_2430.jpg

Then I went back to the campground and relaxed the rest of the afternoon and got some trailer shots

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

This new gizmo is on my wish list for my T@B, great for quick stops when you want some shade

IMG_2444.jpg

To finish this up, we had our potluck with lots of good eatin :)

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

Pood Forn

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

Then we gathered around one of the fire rings and built a big fire and swapped tall tales

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

There were some deer off in the distance that I tried to capture

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

And once again, that's it. Hopefully my next few trips will be warmer, and I won't have work in the way to really get around with the camera some more.