First Trip to FW - what ONE piece of advice would you give?

We are heading to the Fort for an 8-day stay starting November 4 of this year.

As this is our first trip to FW (all adults), what would be the ONE piece of advice you would give me?

We will be traveling with a dog and cat, along with our daughter and boyfriend who plan to rent a trailer once we get there.  Hopefully our son and his girlfriend will be joining us for a long weekend mid-trip.

And I checked, Loop 3000 is already booked those days :)

Thanks!

Welcome Dalspot. I third that. My first trip I powered through just as if I'd stayed at one of the other resorts. The Fort is meant to be savored. Slow down. Smell the roses.

Excellent way of putting it!

By the way, there literally are roses that you can stop and smell at the Fort.

Right outside the Reception Outpost, and also at the Settlement Trading Post.

TCD

Thanks for all the quick replies!  Traveling with pets, we do intend to not do the parks commando style.  We figure to head out in the am, back probably after lunch, then out again in the evening.

Down time is definitely on the schedule!  In the past we would do two days at the parks, then an off day to lounge at the water park.  Not sure that will work in November, and again we'd only be wanting to be away from our site for 5 hours or so at a time. 

Keep em' coming :)

I do over plan, but I LOVE planning. That said, I totally agree with having some Fort days on an 8 day trip. We usually do 2 park days, then a break day where we hang out at the Fort (and repeat).

I think someone with lots of Fort experience planning is different from a first time visitor.

The biggest mistake I see is people who have never been to the Fort making all kinds of assumptions about what they will be doing.

What if it rains?

What if your kid loves playing on the playground and would rather do that than rush off to a park?

What if everyone is tired and wants to sleep in one morning?

What if you kid loves the splash zone or the slide way more than you thought he would?

If you've been there a bunch of times with your family, you have more of an idea of what to expect.

If you've never been, you need to leave plenty of time to make adjustments.

TCD

I should amend the initial post to say we're all adults (or like to think we are LOL)

What if your kid loves playing on the playground and would rather do that than rush off to a park?

What if you kid loves the splash zone or the slide way more than you thought he would?

I should amend the initial post to say we're all adults (or like to think we are LOL)

Oh, scratch the part about your kid then

A couple more rhetorical questions for you:

What if you love the slide more than you thought you would?

What if you drink too much "free" sangria at the Hoop Dee Doo, and have a bad headache one morning?

TCD

I stand by my Fort days advice.... There are a ton of adult things to do at the Fort! Segway tour, wagon ride, private carriage ride (romantic!), sit on the porch with a drink, bring a hammock and lay in it, take a dip in the pool or hot tub, etc. 

Try to catch fireworks at the beach, the EWP, and the sing-a-long one or two nights.  You don't have to stay and watch the movie, but the cowboy's corny jokes are fun the first time.  Bring your own marshmallows unless you don't mind paying twelve dollars for a s'more.

If it's too chilly for the water parks, rent a canoe at the fort and paddle around the green slime canals.

And, be sure to get some porch time in.  At the Meadows Trading Post, Trail's End, or both.

Welcome Dalspot from another Delaware member, there are not to many of us, where about are you from? Check out the Gettysburg Grand Gathering thread for Easter weekend, there is still room to join and always looking for new faces, as others have said plan some down time to enjoy the Fort.

One of my favorite things to do is simply sit outside our RV with my husband and dog, listen to the boat horn, the train horn, and watch the squirrels and the people walk or ride by.  On our first Fort trip, it rained the first day, so we just sat beneath the awning and relaxed with the radio playing 60's music, cold beverages beside us, watching the soggy people return from the parks.  It is one of my favorite memories. 

As a planner make sure to get your dinner reservations at 180 day mark if interested in the more popular restaurants. Definately plan, but be flexible. Personally, I like an midday break. I find the parks more magical and less crowded first thing in the morning and at night, especially if the days are warm.

First I have trouble listing just one recommendation.

1.  Listen to everyone else about just staying at the fort.  We go to the fort for a week every 2-3 months and rarely go to a theme park.

2.  Rent a golf cart.

3.  Bring at least 2-3 cases of bottled water.  A case of small bottles at the trading post is $17.00.  Publix sells the bigger bottles for $3-4.

4.  The same advice goes for adult beverages.

5.  If you follow #4, please post the dates you will be there so that I can come and help lighten the load for the trip home.

First I have trouble listing just one recommendation.

1.  Listen to everyone else about just staying at the fort.  We go to the fort for a week every 2-3 months and rarely go to a theme park.

2.  Rent a golf cart.

3.  Bring at least 2-3 cases of bottled water.  A case of small bottles at the trading post is $17.00.  Publix sells the bigger bottles for $3-4.

4.  The same advice goes for adult beverages.

5.  If you follow #4, please post the dates you will be there so that I can come and help lighten the load for the trip home.

Haha.. gotta love #5 :)

This kind of builds on the prior advice to plan some idle time: buy a length of stay pass so that you can pop over to a park whenever you want and you won't ever feel the pressure to squeeze it all in on the one day you planned for a particular park. My wife and mother would almost never want to hit 2 parks in a day, but I sometimes like to hit a park solo in the morning to ride the stuff they wouldn't like, so a park hopper makes sense for me.

Get the app that is available on Google store or Apple store for free. It has the list of all the sites and the dimensions and most of the pictures. Search for sites at Fort wilderness.

Or just go to this page...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/fort-wilderness-sites-mobile-app-now-available-r265

8)