1 can blackeyed peas

1 can pinto beans

1 can black beans

1 can white shoepeg corn - I use whatever yellow or white

Add:

1 small jar pimento, diced and drained

1 medium onion, diced

1 large green pepper, diced

(may use yellow or red for color and flavor)

1 cup celery, diced

Bring the following to a boil and add to the above ingredients:

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 Tbls. water

3/4 c cider vinegar

1/2 c vegetable oil

1 c sugar

Refrigerate and drain before serving.

Serve with Tostitos or Fritos Scoops.

If made a day ahead of time it is best.

ENJOY!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was my contribution... and I promise you, it gets RAVE reviews.  People think you put in a *lot* of effort here, and really, ya don't!!  :rofl2:

On several sites, perhaps even in this thread, I read about making "doughnuts" out of refrigerator canned biscuit dough. Tried them out tonight at home in my cast iron fry pan, using shortening and cheap biscuit dough.

OMGOSH! Yum!

Such a simple easy treat to make my family smile.

We decided "balls" were better than "doughnut" shaped.

Cut biscuits in half (or quarters if you want smaller), roll the dough in your hands to make into a tidy ball. Fry in at least 1/4 inch oil. It puffs slightly, flip over with tongs.. they cook quickly so keep a close watch to prevent burning. Roll (or toss in a bag) in cinnamon sugar.

One can of dough quickly disappeared for my family of four (with two teen boys.. more like family of 6!).

I love the donut idea!!!

At a Pampered Chef party I went to, the host made something similar using the canned dinner rolls which she cut them in half. In a skillet (that can go in the oven), she melted some butter, sauteed garlic the added the biscuit pieces, tossed them around in the butter and garlic and sprinkled with an italian seasoning mix and then popped them in the oven until they were golden brown. SOOO yummy!!!

Grilled Beer Brats

4 Beers

1 Pack Hogie rolls

1 large onion

Spicy Mustard

1 pack Frozen Johnsonville Bratwurst ( I prefer the uncooked ones)

Pour the beers in a pot and start to heat. Cut onion in to quartes and place in the pot. Add the Brats and cook until they are cooked through. While the brats are cooking fire up the grill. when the brats are done in the beer bath place them on the grill and grill 4-5 minutes a side. Serve them up on a bun with the mustard and some of the onion from the beer bath.

We cook loaded baked potato everytime we camp. We just coat the potato with olive oil (or butter) sprinkle of salt.. double wrap in aluminum foil and put directly on coals and cover with coals. In about 35 minutes you have perfectly "baked" potatoes. Just load with whatever... The skins get nice and crisp with the oil/salt coating so they are actually the best part. This is perfect for those campgrounds with no electricity. We camp at a lot of state parks... and none have electricity that we've been to.

Three of our favorite crock pot dinners and one dessert

Stupid Chicken

Place 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts in crockpot, sprinkile with 1 pkg dry onion soup mix and 2 cans of italian style stewed tomatos. Let cook on low for 6-8 hours. Spoon over cooked egg noodles or rice. (I like the precooked 90 seconds in the nuker rice) Yummy and sticks to your ribs.

BBQ Pulled Pork

Place one 2lb pork tenderloin in crockpot on top of a thinly sliced onion. Sprinkle with Essence of Emeril. Pour one can of beer over the mess and let cook for 6-8 hours on low. Pull the tenderloin apart with two forks and pour in 1/2 cup of your favorite bbq sauce and serve on buns. You can also eliminate the bbq sauce and add one dry package of taco seasoning and serve in flour tortillas as carnitas.

Barbacoa Tacos

Place one boneless beef or shoulder roast in crockpot and sprinkle generously with Cavender's Greek Seasoning (on the ***** aisle in a yellow can) Let cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred beef when tender with two forks and add in 1/2 cup salsa (we like Pace hot) and 2 tsp of cumin.

Serve in flour tortillas with shredded lettuce (the stuff in the bag works great) chopped tomato and shredded cheese.

Crockpot Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars

Pat one boxed lemon cake in bottom of large oval crockpot. Drizzle with one stick melted butter or margarine. Cover with one can of blueberry pie filling or 2 pints of freshblue berries mixed with 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Drop two softened blocks of cream cheese in a gallon ziplock and add one box of powdered sugar and two tsp of vanilla. Mush to mix then cut off one corner of the bag and pipe dollops on top of the lemon cake/bluebery mixture. Sprinkle with sliced almonds if desired. Place top on the crockpot (or dutch oven) and cook on high for 2-3 hours or place on coals with coals on top of 60-90 minutes. In the crockpot it's easier to slice these into bars once they cool. In the dutch oven serve it like a spoon bread or cobbler while warm and enjoy.

Salmon fillet (or your favorite fish, marinated in Soyaki (from Trader Joe's- or use your favorite marinade) which I freeze in a vacuum sealed ziploc. I go ahead and clean, cut up and prepare bok choy, bean sprouts, a variety of shrooms and maybe some water chestnuts or other stir fry add ins and put that in an vacuum sealed bag for freshness the day before we leave. When we cook it at the campsite, the salmon (which is usually the first meal that defrosts) goes in a foil wrap on the grill, the veggies get stir fried on the grill wok and I make coconut rice on the cookstove (pre-measured jasmine rice in ziploc bag so I don't have to worry about measuring cups or the whole box taking up space). Yummy, easy, eating within 30 minutes.

My most simple Vietnamese recipe is for chicken congee (rice porridge).

Take one or two cooked pieces of chicken breast and shred in the bottom of a crock pot. Add six cups of chicken broth and two cups of uncooked rice. Add salt, pepper, and diced green onions to taste. You can add sliced bamboo shoots if you like. Turn crock pot on low in the morning. It's ready that evening for supper. Just stir and serve.

One treat we had growing up was to roast calamari jerky over an open fire. Once it's toasted, just eat it plain. Another simple treat was toasting rice paper over an open fire. Take a sheet of rice paper and put it over a fire until it puffs up, being careful not to set it on fire.

A big hit in my family is grilled, garlic shrimp kabobs. Skewer shelled tiger prawns on a bamboo skewer. Brush with olive oil and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Grill until pink. Serve shrimp skewer with a bowl of rice and soy sauce. You can use any kind of meat with this dish (chicken, pork, beef, etc). If you like it spicy, you can add a few drops of sarrachi chili sauce to the olive oil.

My personal favorite is shrimp spring rolls. Cook vermicelli rice noodles until al dente. Dip a sheet of rice paper in water. Place on a plate and wait a few seconds for it to soften. Place a leaf of crisp lettuce on the rice paper, making sure the lettuce is smaller than the rice paper. Place a little bit of noodles in a cigar shaped roll in the center. Add peeled, sliced, and Juliened cucumber, fresh torn cilantro leaves, and fresh torn mint leaves. Fold in the sides of the rice paper and roll. The moist rice paper will stick to itself to seal the roll. Slice into one inch sections. Serve with soy sauce, fish sauce, peanut sauce, or chili sauce. Like with most other Vietnamese recipes, you can use any kind of meat you like. It just needs to be shredded meat. If you use beef or pork, it is customary to sprinkle it lightly with crushed, roasted peanuts to balance the flavor. It makes a great, cool lunch for hot days.

I could write all day about Vietnamese food, but I'll try to stop here. Don't even get me started about the huge variety and subtle variations of Vietnamese sandwiches.

Peanut butter and jelly pie

Ingredients

1 (8-oz) package cream cheese

1 (12-oz) container frozen whipped topping (about 4 1/2 cups, divided)

1/3 cup grape jelly

1/3 cup + 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk, divided

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1 cup confectioners? sugar

1 prepared graham cracker or cookie crumb pie crust

Prep

* Let cream cheese and whipped topping stand at room temperature to soften.

* Whisk jelly to make it smooth and pourable.

Steps

Active Time: 20 minutes, Total Time: up to 2 hours (Makes 8 servings.)

1. Whisk together 1/3 cup condensed milk and 1 1/2 cups of the whipped topping until smooth; set aside.

2. Combine cream cheese, peanut butter, and remaining 1/2 cup condensed milk in bowl of electric mixer; mix with paddle attachment until smooth. Add sugar and mix until blended.

3. Fold in remaining 3 cups whipped topping, using a rubber spatula, until well blended. Pour one-half of this mixture into pie crust.

4. Pour jelly evenly over peanut butter mixture, then pour milk mixture over jelly. Top with remaining half of peanut butter mixture. Refrigerate (or freeze) 1?2 hours or until pie has set. Serve.

Crockpot Lasagna

I don't know if this is already posted, but kids really enjoy it. And like it very cheesy....DH and older boys like it meaty.

Favorite Spagetti Sauce (I like Prego)

Lasagna Noodles

Rigotta Cheese (I usually get the big size and use about 3/4 to just about all)

Bagged Shredded Mozarella (Or Italian Blend) I usually get two 2 cup bags and use 1/2 the second bag as the topping

Grated Parm

Pour enough sauce in the bottom of the crockpot to coat.

Break up Lasagna noodles to fit and cover bottom of crockpot in 1 layer.

Mix together rigotta, mozarella and a hand full or so of parm cheese. reserving some of the mozarella.

smooth out a layer of the cheese mixture on first layer of noodles.

cover with sauce

repeat---noodles---cheese---sauce

then for the top, just noodles then a good layer of sauce.

cook on low 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours.

remove lid

sprinkle top with a good layer of the remaining mozarella cheese

cook for an additional 1/2 hour or until cheese is melted

DISH UP...

If you want you can also brown some meat (I prefer ground sweet italian sausage) and add the sauce to it and then use this mixture for the sauce layer.

Well this isn't for a crockpot, but it is appropriate:

KUNGALOOSH!

1/4 cup Capt Morgans Spiced Rum

1/4 cup raspberry brandy

1/4 cup orange juice

1/4 cup Strawberry Daiquiri mix

Put above in Magic Bullet (or blender of your choice)  with enough ice to make slushy.

We found this on in Family Fun magazine YEARS ago and it has become a family favorite.  We serve it over brown rice:

Finger Lickin? Chicken

Marinade

? cup Soy Sauce

? cup Vegetable Oil

? cup Red Wine Vinegar

1 tsp. Dried Oregano

1/2 tsp Dried Basil

? tsp Garlic Powder with Parsley

? tsp Ground Black Pepper

6 to 8 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

Combine the first seven ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Pour over chicken breasts in a non-metallic marinating dish.  Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.

Glaze

? cup Catsup

? cup Honey

? cup Soy Sauce

3 minced Garlic Cloves

? tsp Tabasco Sauce

Combine the ingredients for the glaze, cover and refrigerate until needed.

Cook the chicken over hot coals for about 6 minutes per side.  Avoid overcooking which can dry out the meat.  Remove the chicken from the grill, wrap in a single layer of aluminum foil, and grill for 5 minutes more.  Remove the chicken pieces from the foil, dip each piece in the glaze to coat it and return it to the grill for 2 more minutes.

Serve immediately with extra glaze on the side.

Dutch Oven Monkey Bread

Ingredients:

2 rolls of Pillsbury biscuits (original style, not Grands)

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 Tbsp cinnamon

1 stick butter

Instructions:

Tear biscuits into quarters.

Mix sugar and cinnamon in plastic bag.

Drop each quarter into bag and shake to coat well.

Place in dutch oven.

Melt butter and pour over biscuits.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Serves 6 to 8.

*May want to line oven with foil to catch melted sugar.

We always buy 10 Lbs of boiled peanuts and put them in a slow cooker and leave them outside on the picnic table and snack on them all the time....UUUUMMMMMMMMMMM....... :)

I appreciate that, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone who is not banned just go copy all the recipes off the dis thread and post them here? Really I don't know It might be a real pain in the a$$ to do something like that. I'm just asking  8)

I volunteer! Let me delete my cookies and see if I can get on there. I don't work so I have time to spare really.  :parrot:  If anyone else has stuff I can copy and paste for them, let me know.

Cheesy Potatoes:

1 Frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (thawed)

1 8oz sour cream

1 can cream of chcken soup

1 can cream of celery soup

6 TB melted butter

1 cup of shredded cheddar

Mix all together in crockpot. Cook on low 5-6 hours.

Make ahead bacon & swiss breakfast casserole:

1 lb bacon, fried crispy & crumbled

2 onions, sliced thin

12 slices French bread, quartered

1 cup shredded swiss

8 eggs

4 cups milk

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Fry bacon until crisp. remove and drain on paper towel. Using bacon grease, saute onions til soft. Remove from pan & let cool.

Put half of the quartered bread in bottom of greased 9 x 13 pan.

Top with half of crumbled bacon, then onion, then cheese - evenly over bread.

Repeat layer of bread, onion & cheese.

Combine eggs, milk, salt & pepper, beat until mixed & pour over bread.

Cover with foil and store in fridge overnight.

Uncover in the a.m. and let stand at room temp until oven is preheated.

Preheat oven to 350 and bake casserole for 45-55 minutes.

If you have extra swiss, sprinkle it on for last 5 minutes for a nice golden brown top.

Made this morning, here is finished product:

nikon8100033.jpg

Make ahead bacon & swiss breakfast casserole:

1 lb bacon, fried crispy & crumbled

2 onions, sliced thin

12 slices French bread, quartered

1 cup shredded swiss

8 eggs

4 cups milk

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Fry bacon until crisp. remove and drain on paper towel. Using bacon grease, saute onions til soft. Remove from pan & let cool.

Put half of the quartered bread in bottom of greased 9 x 13 pan.

Top with half of crumbled bacon, then onion, then cheese - evenly over bread.

Repeat layer of bread, onion & cheese.

Combine eggs, milk, salt & pepper, beat until mixed & pour over bread.

Cover with foil and store in fridge overnight.

Uncover in the a.m. and let stand at room temp until oven is preheated.

Preheat oven to 350 and bake casserole for 45-55 minutes.

If you have extra swiss, sprinkle it on for last 5 minutes for a nice golden brown top.

Imma gonna make this this weekend. Sounds YUMMO! Still waitin' on that drooling smilie.  :banana:

This----> :banana:  is as close as I could find to a lip-smackin' good smiley.  :banana: