Grand Floridian/Boardwalk/Fort Wilderness April 2014

OK, this is my first trip report, and a rather unusual trip.  To give background, we live in Clermont, FL; not far from Disney.  This trip was for my daughter's wedding at Disney, so it involved a stay at the Grand Floridian the night before the wedding, 2 nights at the Boardwalk Resort as a gift from our daughter and her (now) husband, and then a quick trip home to grab our camper to relax at Fort Wilderness for 4 nights.  To complicate an already complicated trip, I was taken to the hospital less than three weeks before the wedding when an ulcer I didn't know I had (actually had 3) started bleeding severely and I passed out at 2AM.  I ended up in the hospital for 4 days, lost a lot of blood and had two transfusions.  In any case, I wasn't that strong, but hoped to be able to make it through the whole thing.  It all went great.

We checked into the Grand on Saturday April 5th.  I had arranged for an early check in since the wedding rehearsal was at 3PM, and they were very accommodating.  

IMAG1391_zps56720c4a.jpg

We were in the Conch Key building and it was just renovated.

IMAG1392_zps35ebf69d.jpg

They had a nice Mickey towel setup on the bed when we arrived.

IMAG1394_zpse6c27649.jpg

The wedding rehearsal went well, and the wedding planner was amazing.

IMAG1400_zps561d8238.jpg

We had the rehearsal dinner at Fulton's Crab House.  The food was delicious, but the parking was a nightmare.  We had my mother in law with us, and we were fortunate to grab a parking spot in the first row right in front of the World of Disney.  Most everybody else ended up using valet parking.  We should have taken a bus.

After the dinner, we headed back to the Grand Floridian since my wife had to be at my daughter's room by 6AM for all of the whatever it is girls do before they are married.  It was then we discovered a big flaw with the Grand; no sound insulation.  Around midnight, a family came into the room next door with their two kids.  They started playing with their kids, and the kids were laughing.  They weren't excessively noisy, but you could hear EVERYTHING, almost like it was amplified.  It was a bit surprising for a hotel the price of the Grand.

The next morning came and the weather for the wedding looked great.

IMAG1411_zpsa6d96ebb.jpg

While all the "prep work" was being accomplished, I had breakfast at Gasparilla Grill; actually very good pancakes and sausage.

Richard, the greeter at the Grand was present to help my daughter get ready for pictures prior to the wedding.

IMG_0736_zpsf6d615d5.jpg

IMAG1423_zpsae05350d.jpg

Then we had a great ride to the Wedding Pavilion in a 48 Caddy.

IMAG1424_zps20b41b14.jpg

The wedding went perfect, and it was really nicely done.  Again, Disney took care of everything making it so enjoyable.

The reception was at the Atlantic Dance Hall; the food was delicious.  There was Parmesan Crusted Chicken, vegetables, Mickey Waffles (it was a brunch), the cheese soup from Canada, omelettes, a potato bar that had an amazing mac and cheese with lobster, and a few more.  I was stuffed.

IMAG1437_zps8e9b7daf.jpg

Disney did a great job with the cake.

IMG_0777_zps9235dd3f.jpg

After the reception we were lead through Epcot to Italy, for the dessert party on the lake.  

IMAG1456_zpsfd22aa25.jpg

The location was amazing for the fireworks and the wind was blowing in just the right direction (not towards us).

IMAG1464_zps674b414f.jpg

That was a great way to end the night.  Then buses took people back to the Boardwalk or the other hotels that were on my daughter's list (Pop Century and Grand Floridian.  During the reception, I had checked into the Boardwalk.  Bell Services at the Grand had sent our bags over to the Boardwalk, and they were available for us there.  I could also just turn in the tux to Bell services and it would be picked up the next morning.  That worked great.  We spent Monday and Tuesday at the Boardwalk, visiting with family who had traveled down from mostly NJ.  We had a nice lunch at the Captain's Grill on Monday with my brother in law and family as well as my mother in law.  They went home Monday night.  On Tuesday we spent time with my sister in law and had a nice lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe.  The Grand Sandwich there is delicious and not too pricey.  The Boardwalk was a really nice place to stay.  We liked it a lot better than the Grand.  We aren't particularly fancy people, so the Boardwalk felt more comfortable.

Later on Tuesday, we headed home to pick up the camper.  It was raining pretty hard during the drive, but when we got home it had stopped so I was able to hook up the truck and we got the camper loaded.  When we got to Fort Wilderness, we had an easy check in and we received our requested site.  The campground was really empty.

IMAG1498_zpse54a300f.jpg

It was nice and relaxing.  The next morning we headed to Trails End for breakfast.  Normally we get Ken as our server, but we asked for a window seat and Ken didn't have one.  We had Ed this time, and he was also very good. We did have a nice conversation with Josephine too. Really filled up on the food.  One of several plate loads of food:

IMAG1497_zps9a7e2c1a.jpg

They had some type of "French Toast Pudding" this time that I never tried before.  That was really good, but I always have to have my standards of sausage gravy and biscuits, the country benedict, and the breakfast pizza.

The next day we returned to Trails End for lunch.  Jorge was our server, and he is another really good one.  My wife had the catfish and I had the chicken and waffles; delicious and filling.

IMAG1501_zpse7409dc2.jpg

On our Friday we had a nice time fishing near the dam and bat house.

IMAG1502_zps497aec63.jpg

We also went to Magic Kingdom on Wednesday and got to view the new parade from the train station.  Those floats are really impressive, especially the dragon.  It was a windy day, so the dragon wasn't breathing any fire.  Spent a little time at Epcot Thursday for the Flower and Garden show, but it was a tiring week, so we didn't spend much time there.  

We really enjoyed our stay at Fort Wilderness.  On Friday evening, it started to get much more crowded as people started to check in pretty quickly.  People seemed very friendly and considerate.  However, I am starting to think the golf carts are becoming an accident waiting to happen.  We saw MANY instances of carts loaded with kids younger than driving age who were driving at high speeds (for a golf cart) in the wrong direction around several loops.  With so many little kids playing in the loops, it is so easy for something very bad to happen with this type of carelessness.  While my wife and I prefer to walk all around the campground, we do understand why people get the carts.  However, they shouldn't be used as entertainment for their young teenagers, unless they are responsible enough to handle them.  OK, off of my soapbox now. :)

In summary, Disney did a great job with the wedding.  It was amazing.  Staying at three resorts in one week gave me an unusual opportunity to compare.  I would say I enjoyed staying at Fort Wilderness the most; followed by the Boardwalk, and then the Grand Floridian.  All were VERY nice and we enjoyed all of them.  However, I find it odd that my preference is exactly opposite to the cost.

Hope this wasn't too long, but wanted to finally contribute a report here.

Doug

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great photo of you and your wife!

WOW Love the pictures and the different resort hopping!

And DIT. It doesn't matter how well your girls marry. It's the father of the bride that pays. And the better they marry the better the wedding has to be. Have you ever seen Father of the Bride with

Excellent job!

Thanks for sharing.

What a great trip.

I don't think we've had a Disney wedding trip report before.

Exactly what is that on top of the wedding cake?  It looks like two characters instead of a bride and groom, but I can't make them out.

I agree with you about the golf carts.  It's been a problem for years.  If management wanted to put a stop to the abuse, it wouldn't take too much effort.  I don't understand why they continue to do nothing.  Actually, I do understand- they're too cheap to do anything about it.

TCD

Excellent job!

Thanks for sharing.

What a great trip.

I don't think we've had a Disney wedding trip report before.

Exactly what is that on top of the wedding cake?  It looks like two characters instead of a bride and groom, but I can't make them out.

I agree with you about the golf carts.  It's been a problem for years.  If management wanted to put a stop to the abuse, it wouldn't take too much effort.  I don't understand why they continue to do nothing.  Actually, I do understand- they're too cheap to do anything about it.

TCD

Thanks.  The cake topper was two birds, one with a veil, and the other a bow tie.  My daughter and her friend who was the matron of honor made them.  

As far as the golf carts, I can only imagine the law suit if a cart driven by a person too young to drive, causes an accident.

What a great report!

Congratulations to your daughter and her new hubby.  The wedding looks beautiful.

I would never want to stay at GF.  Boardwalk doesn't appeal to us either.  The fort is just right for us.

Thanks!  The Grand is almost "too stuffy" (to my wife and me anyway).  It is beautiful, and I enjoy sitting in that lobby listening to the band or the piano player.  The Boardwalk on the other hand, is a really fun place and very convenient to Epcot and Studios.  Much less formal.  I too enjoy the Fort more, but if I couldn't have the camper, I do enjoy the Boardwalk. Wilderness Lodge is my favorite hotel though, but the Boardwalk would be close.

What a fantastic first trip report! I enjoyed reading about the wedding, it's an aspect of WDW I know nothing about. I know what you mean about the Grand Floridian. Although beautiful, it just doesn't really appeal to me. Wilderness Lodge is my favorite too :)

Hope this wasn't too long, but wanted to finally contribute a report here.

Doug

The length was just right, Doug. Even I, read it, nice job.

Richard was old when I worked at the Grand, and in those days he chauffeured the couples around in the much older white Caddy, so I'm curious, he's much older, did he drive the newer Caddy?

Bravo!

Excellent!

I had to stop reading half way they because I always cry at weddings.

Great pictures.

That's funny Ray.  I made it through the whole thing until the father/daughter dance.  I picked a song called My Little Girl by Steve Kirwan.  The words are great, but it was tough; especially since my wife was sitting there crying.  For those looking for a good father daughter song, listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIBPC4YUUqY

No, I don't know who the people are in the video. :)

Also, I realized all of those pictures I posted failed to include a picture of my wife and I at the wedding.  This is what we looked like at the wedding (not holding a fish):

IMG_0782_zps4da70a11.jpg

The length was just right, Doug. Even I, read it, nice job.

Richard was old when I worked at the Grand, and in those days he chauffeured the couples around in the much older white Caddy, so I'm curious, he's much older, did he drive the newer Caddy?

Lou,

No, Richard didn't drive the Caddy, but he sure did like it.  I believe he is 88 now.  What a nice guy.  The day before the wedding, my daughter asked him if he was working the next day (Sunday).  He said he was and she mentioned she was getting married.  Having Richard help her was something she really wanted.  The next morning, I had to run out to my car, and I was wearing the tuxedo.  Richard stopped me and asked, "Is your daughter the one having the 12PM wedding?"  I told him yes, and he said, "Tell her I'll be waiting for her."  He was the nicest guy to sit and talk with when we were waiting for her to come down.

Thanks for the comments. 

Beautiful pictures!  I bet my daughters would love a Disney wedding someday.  I hope they marry well. 

I think we would like staying at the Boardwalk.  Being able to walk into the World Showcase would be just great.  Or the Beach Club would do, too. 

Dave,

We like the Beach Club as well.  The Boardwalk has a NJ feel to it due to the Boardwalk theme, so being born and raised in NJ (and having spent a lot of time on the Boardwalk); I have more of a "connection" with that.

As far as marrying well, I know what you mean.  When my daughter would date someone, I was ALWAYS suspicious.  Never thought I would be, but found that I was very protective.  My daughter would ask my wife what she thought of someone, and she would be polite and say that he was "nice", even if she wasn't so sure.  I would remind my daughter that I kept two baseball bats in the garage.  When we first met the guy who is now her husband, she asked us what we thought of him.  My wife told her that if she doesn't stick with him, we would adopt him.  She asked me and I just told her that I put the baseball bats away now.  We were VERY fortunate she met her husband, a REALLY nice guy.  We tried hard to plant good values in our daughter and we found she did a great job weeding out the guys and finding the right one.

Greay trip report thank you for sharing!

The Grand Floridian is the only deluxe disney resort we haven't tried so I appreciate your review. With their prices I don't know when we ever will try it. We have stayed at the Boardwalk and really liked it too.

That wedding plan was great, the pavilion, then Atlantic City Dance Hall, then epcot for fireworks, tell your daughter great job! Did yall take wedding pictures at any different places or all at the GF?

WBI

Greay trip report thank you for sharing!

The Grand Floridian is the only deluxe disney resort we haven't tried so I appreciate your review. With their prices I don't know when we ever will try it. We have stayed at the Boardwalk and really liked it too.

That wedding plan was great, the pavilion, then Atlantic City Dance Hall, then epcot for fireworks, tell your daughter great job! Did yall take wedding pictures at any different places or all at the GF?

WBI

We took some at all places, but the photographers were there from beginning to end.  During the wedding ceremony itself, we took no pictures.  We left that to the photographers. 

Remember, the Grand is VERY nice.  I would consider giving it a try since it is a very different experience.  We've stayed there twice before, but the cost has really gone up (as have all the resorts), but it is really high now.  But it is a very elegant place.  I will say that as the setting to get ready for the wedding, it really fit the bill.

Doug- here's a question-how did they handle transportation from the wedding pavilion to the Atlantic Dance Hall and then from there to Epcot for the fireworks?  And, then, after the fireworks, you said there were buses to take guests back to their resorts- where did they board those buses?  I'm curious as to how the logistics were handled.  That's a lot of moving around.

TCD

Doug- here's a question-how did they handle transportation from the wedding pavilion to the Atlantic Dance Hall and then from there to Epcot for the fireworks?  And, then, after the fireworks, you said there were buses to take guests back to their resorts- where did they board those buses?  I'm curious as to how the logistics were handled.  That's a lot of moving around.

TCD

When the wedding is being planned, three Disney hotels are picked.  Disney then places some room blocks on those hotels and offers a discount at those hotels for guests of the wedding.  Then, for a fee of course, but really not bad (surprisingly low), Disney buses would be at those selected resorts at a pre-determined time, outside the main lobby.  They met the guests and transported them to the wedding pavilion.  After the wedding, a Cruise Line bus was waiting outside the wedding pavilion for all of the people who were either brought to the wedding by Disney bus, or those who may be staying on the monorail or at the Grand and got there without a car in the parking lot.  They then transported all of those guests to the Atlantic Dance Hall.  The bus then returned to the pavilion to transport the wedding party (who were having pictures taken) to the reception as well.  After the reception, guests could choose to walk through the International Gateway to Italy for the dessert party, or they were directed by cast members to a waiting bus that took them back stage and let them out behind American Adventure.  They then were walked by cast members to the dessert area along the lake across from Italy (across those bridges where the gondolas are).  After Illuminations was over, the guests could walk back to the Boardwalk, or there were buses back stage, one going back to the Boardwalk, and the other heading to the other hotels in the room block.  They really handled the transportation really well.  The guests at the wedding raved about it, saying everything was so clearly marked and the cast members so helpful nobody had any problems at all.

Doug