• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately, raptors are carnivores.  Haven't any of you ever seen the ones that ate Newman? 

This is a test of Disney's, "should we or should we not" try-out system. The cast members of your area in voluntary forced cooperation with local, regional and corporate management have developed this

Not to mice, just one mouse.  If I talk to dogs and cats, why not talk to a mouse.  I know for a fact that you talk to three animals, not counting Brian.

1 = Professor

2 = Velociraptor

Thank you.

Some people need everything to be spelled out. 

I'm an old and feeble senior citizen living on cat food in a dilapidated house and need cognitive help from time to time.

Is that too much to ask?

I sure hope the meals on wheels people stop by today. Where's my walker?

• 3 weeks later...

More new entertainment being added to Animal Kingdom this summer!  From the Disney Parks Blog...

I am thrilled to share first with Disney Parks Blog fans news about a new animal experience coming soon to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Stars of the show are flocks of macaws in a kaleidoscope of colors flying over and around the heart of the park — Discovery Island. Brought to you by the fantastic team that inspires and delights guests at our Flights of Wonder show in collaboration with Disney Creative Entertainment, “Winged Encounters — The Kingdom Takes Flight,” will debut this summer.

WLW84957946-613x724.jpg

The macaws, with wingspans up to 60 inches, are now making short flights in the early morning hours at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in preparation for the debut of the new experience, which features six types of macaw: hyacinth, green-winged, blue and gold, scarlet, blue-throated and military.

In addition to seeing these colorful birds in flight, during up-close encounters, avian experts will share conservation stories about the macaws, the majority of which are endangered in their native Central and South America.

Be sure to watch Disney Parks Blog for more information about this new experience in the coming weeks.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/wildlife-wednesdays-colorful-macaws-take-flight-in-new-experience-coming-this-summer-to-disneys-animal-kingdom/

This on top of the recent confirmation that the Rivers of Light Nighttime Spectacular is coming to Animal Kingdom, the addition of the Professor and V (above) and the special ticketed Harambe Nights event coming this summer, it seems that Disney is trying to generate some Animal Kingdom buzz by giving people more reasons to visit and stay in the park. 

The TCD gang stumbled upon some flying macaw practice flights at AK this past weekend.

I just reported on this earlier today in my running trip report:

We all agreed to go and see what was going on at the Safari.  Plus, I thought that they had changed all the old FP machines there into FP+ kiosks, so I could continue my research project there.

So that meant we needed to walk through Asia, and along that path where the weed normally lurks.

As we passed the Flights of Wonder theater, we noticed that there were two macaws sitting on the top of the back wall of the theater, along the path.  They seemed to be loose.

Then we heard the voice of the CM who usually speaks outside the theater announcing that the birds were about to take flight.

What?

Where?

And, just like that, the birds took off flying down the path, right over the heads of the guests.

What the Fort?

I wasn't ready for this, but quickly drew my camera and took my shot:

5414048_zps99c339e7.jpg

I looked at the little screen on my camera, hoping that I had caught a shot of that.

Fail.

Typical.

Wait.

Not so fast.

Take a closer look:

macaw_zps0deda34b.jpg

You see the old dude in the hat there on the left, saying "What the Fort?"  Follow his eyes all the way over to the right.

Macaw!

BAM!

We all looked at each other.

What was this all about?

Birds flying loose over the heads of the guests?

We didn't know,

And we needed to move on.

So we did.

We stopped to look at the Tree of Life:

5414049_zpse74ae397.jpg

5414050_zps0ebb4b65.jpg

Just as I snapped that last photo, the macaws flew back the other way.  Guests here had no idea what was going on.  It was too fast for me to try to get a photo, but we did see them fly by.

So now there are loose macaws flying around AK?

Right on cue, the Disney Parks Blog posted on this very subject today:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/wildlife-wednesdays-colorful-macaws-take-flight-in-new-experience-coming-this-summer-to-disneys-animal-kingdom/

The text:

I am thrilled to share first with Disney Parks Blog fans news about a new animal experience coming soon to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Stars of the show are flocks of macaws in a kaleidoscope of colors flying over and around the heart of the park — Discovery Island. Brought to you by the fantastic team that inspires and delights guests at our Flights of Wonder show in collaboration with Disney Creative Entertainment, “Winged Encounters — The Kingdom Takes Flight,” will debut this summer.

The macaws, with wingspans up to 60 inches, are now making short flights in the early morning hours at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in preparation for the debut of the new experience, which features six types of macaw: hyacinth, green-winged, blue and gold, scarlet, blue-throated and military.

In addition to seeing these colorful birds in flight, during up-close encounters, avian experts will share conservation stories about the macaws, the majority of which are endangered in their native Central and South America.

Be sure to watch Disney Parks Blog for more information about this new experience in the coming weeks.

A photo from the Blog:

WLW84957946-613x724.jpg

So, how do you like that?

Wild Macaw Bragging Rights to TCD!

From here, we proceeded to the Safari.

TCD

• 2 months later...

From Chip & Co...

Disney Has Filed a Permit for “The Rivers of Light” Show
July 15, 2014 by Sunshine 1 Comment

Rivers-of-Light-Animal-Kingdom-500x274.j

‘The Rivers of Light” Show is expected to make it’s big debut at the Animal Kingdom in the spring of 2016. While we don’t know all of the details about this amazing new show yet, it seems as though permits have been filed for the show and it will have 2 very large areas to watch the show.

According to WDWMagic permits were filed for the following:

• Asia Viewing Area and Area Control Building
  • Dinoland EER Completion and Dinoland Viewing Area
  • Discovery Island Light Bunkers Completion

What we do know about this show is that will include floating lanterns, live music, water screens and animal imagery. The show will take place on the stage of the Discovery River, which is between Discovery Island and Expedition Everest. I think this show will make me a new fan of the Animal Kingdom.

http://www.chipandco.com/disney-filed-permit-rivers-light-show-194546/

• 1 month later...

More new entertainment being added to Animal Kingdom this summer!  From the Disney Parks Blog...

This on top of the recent confirmation that the Rivers of Light Nighttime Spectacular is coming to Animal Kingdom, the addition of the Professor and V (above) and the special ticketed Harambe Nights event coming this summer, it seems that Disney is trying to generate some Animal Kingdom buzz by giving people more reasons to visit and stay in the park.

So, I got my fall Passholder newsletter yesterday, and there was an article in it telling me that this new bird show has started in the Animal Kingdom.

Has it?

I haven't heard a thing about it after the announcement on the Disney Parks Blog.

TCD

Weird.  There was never any sort of official splash made about this actually starting, but it seems that it's been going on since mid-June.  Here's an article from Touring Plans from June 19th.

Two New Animal Encounters Introduced at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

by Rikki Niblett

WLW84957946-613x724-254x300.jpg

©Disney

Lately it seems like Disney has been introducing quite a few new offerings at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The park has seen some new food options (like pineapple soft serve), new animals (like the Grevy’s Zebra and Sumatran Tigers), and new experiences.  Today, I’m here to tell you about two new, relatively minor experiences that you should certainly check out on your next visit, especially if you are an animal lover.

The first is one that had been announced about a month ago, “Winged Encounters – The Kingdom Takes Flight,” which is now being performed daily at 9:15 a.m., 10:15 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and 2:00 p.m. While there are set showtimes, the show is still technically in testing mode, so times are subject to change.

The show is an animal experience featuring macaws that fly over the park, back and forth between a perch found on Discovery Island and a perch found near the DinoLand U.S.A. bridge. The main component of this new show features an up-close encounter where avian experts share conservation stories and insightful information about the birds. The experience features six different types of macaws: hyacinth, green-winged, blue and gold, scarlet, blue-throated, and military. 

In addition, there is a second small show that has been added to Disney’s Animal Kingdom called “It All Started With a Mouse.” Guests who wish to see this animal encounter can head to Rafiki’s Planet Watch, where they will learn all about Walt Disney’s love of animals. Guests see and learn about sheep, porcupines, parrots, birds of prey, and Kunekune pigs. After the show, guests have the opportunity to meet and take photos with some of the animals featured. This show currently only takes place at 11:30 a.m. and lasts about 20 minutes.

It’s exciting to see Disney’s Animal Kingdom showcasing animals in fun ways, and these two new experiences certainly seem to accomplish that. I can’t wait to catch both on my next visit to the World.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/06/19/two-new-animal-encounters-introduced-disneys-animal-kingdom/

I believe this might be the show.

It's called "Winged Encounters-The Kingdom Takes Flight,"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMLyMW-x8Qc

Yes, that's it.

Although I was expecting something a little more interesting than a bunch of parrots sitting on a perch.  What about them flying around the Tree of Life, as originally advertised?

Weird.  There was never any sort of official splash made about this actually starting, but it seems that it's been going on since mid-June.  Here's an article from Touring Plans from June 19th.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/06/19/two-new-animal-encounters-introduced-disneys-animal-kingdom/

That article is from June, and says it was still in testing.

Has it ever appeared on a Animal Kingdom park map or schedule?

This is the article from the Mickey Monitor, which suggests it's been going on all summer:

macawshow_zps8a2c8330.jpg

Other than that one blog post on the official blog, I've heard nothing more about it.  You'd think if this was going on four times a day every day, as the June article suggests, that I would have seen it, or at least heard about it.

TCD

Yes, that's it.

Although I was expecting something a little more interesting than a bunch of parrots sitting on a perch.  What about them flying around the Tree of Life, as originally advertised?

That article is from June, and says it was still in testing.

Has it ever appeared on a Animal Kingdom park map or schedule?

This is the article from the Mickey Monitor, which suggests it's been going on all summer:

macawshow_zps8a2c8330.jpg

Other than that one blog post on the official blog, I've heard nothing more about it.  You'd think if this was going on four times a day every day, as the June article suggests, that I would have seen it, or at least heard about it.

TCD

Uh you did see....

Going back in the TCD archives please see this post from a previous TCD trip report dated May 7, 2014

After this second ride, we decided to move on and try something else.

We all agreed to go and see what was going on at the Safari. Plus, I thought that they had changed all the old FP machines there into FP+ kiosks, so I could continue my research project there.

So that meant we needed to walk through Asia, and along that path where the weed normally lurks.

As we passed the Flights of Wonder theater, we noticed that there were two macaws sitting on the top of the back wall of the theater, along the path. They seemed to be loose.

Then we heard the voice of the CM who usually speaks outside the theater announcing that the birds were about to take flight.

What?

Where?

And, just like that, the birds took off flying down the path, right over the heads of the guests.

What the Fort?

I wasn't ready for this, but quickly drew my camera and took my shot:

5414048_zps99c339e7.jpg

I looked at the little screen on my camera, hoping that I had caught a shot of that.

Fail.

Typical.

Wait.

Not so fast.

Take a closer look:

macaw_zps0deda34b.jpg

You see the old dude in the hat there on the left, saying "What the Fort?" Follow his eyes all the way over to the right.

Macaw!

BAM!

We all looked at each other.

What was this all about?

Birds flying loose over the heads of the guests?

We didn't know,

And we needed to move on.

So we did.

We stopped to look at the Tree of Life:

5414049_zpse74ae397.jpg

5414050_zps0ebb4b65.jpg

Just as I snapped that last photo, the macaws flew back the other way. Guests here had no idea what was going on. It was too fast for me to try to get a photo, but we did see them fly by.

So now there are loose macaws flying around AK?

Right on cue, the Disney Parks Blog posted on this very subject today:

The text:

A photo from the Blog:

WLW84957946-613x724.jpg

So, how do you like that?

Wild Macaw Bragging Rights to TCD!

From here, we proceeded to the Safari.

TCD

WBI