Gettysburg 2014

Deviled eggs!!!

I love deviled eggs.

Do you have any close up pix of the those delicious morsels of goodness?

When DW and I were getting married we met with the caterer and DW asked what I wanted and I said you can have what ever you want as long as I get some deviled eggs. It snowed 11 inches on our wedding day so we were late to our reception and all the deviled eggs were gone.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm In....   Wish I was at this GG....   Oh wait I was there !   and it was AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!      Taylor Pork Roll can be used as a breakfast meat, lunch or dinner meat.   My favorite way is to fry

I can't believe you guys are making fun of me. I was cold and went and out more clothing on and you make fun of me for it? Some friends you are.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of Miracle Whip.  But it does have a bit of sweetness IMO that likely enhances this recipe.  If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it.  You just don't mess with the t

Thank you. Thank you thank you.

POOD FORN!!!

That was a cool idea having the kids make tie dye shirts. I bet they loved it.

Ok I want some turds! Looks like jalapeños, with cheese and BACON. Am I missing something?

Mini marshmallows rock.

Fried turkey. It's not just for thanksgiving anymore. For about five years I fry a turkey every thanksgiving and we have one smoked.

Yummy!

Turds also had little smokies in them and some sweet baby rays on them. Sooooo good.

It would be worth the long trip for the food Ray and Dave lol.

I think Jason will have any food pics I am missing once he gets unbusy.

Oh and at some point on Saturday, fudge covered brownies were passed around, Guinness cheese, and dessert I made chocolate covered pretzels (milk and dark) and there were mini cheesecakes, a coconut cream pie thing.

Deviled eggs!!!

I love deviled eggs.

Do you have any close up pix of the those delicious morsels of goodness?

When DW and I were getting married we met with the caterer and DW asked what I wanted and I said you can have what ever you want as long as I get some deviled eggs. It snowed 11 inches on our wedding day so we were late to our reception and all the deviled eggs were gone.

I think you are seeing the hard boiled eggs on Jason's potato salad. A few things about his potato salad, 1. I give him credit for making it while camping. It seems like a lot of work. 2 he uses miracle whip, which I hate but I loved his potato salad. 3. Jason I need the recipe .

Turds also had little smokies in them and some sweet baby rays on them. Sooooo good.

It would be worth the long trip for the food Ray and Dave lol.

I think Jason will have any food pics I am missing once he gets unbusy.

Oh and at some point on Saturday, fudge covered brownies were passed around, Guinness cheese, and dessert I made chocolate covered pretzels (milk and dark) and there were mini cheesecakes, a coconut cream pie thing.

Ok I want the, no I need the recipe for turds. If your going to use my sauce I should at least have the recipe.

Did you say who made them? I'm sure you did. I'll have to go back and look.

I think you are seeing the hard boiled eggs on Jason's potato salad. A few things about his potato salad, 1. I give him credit for making it while camping. It seems like a lot of work. 2 he uses miracle whip, which I hate but I loved his potato salad. 3. Jason I need the recipe .

No deviled eggs?

And Miracle Whip, yuck!

I do love potato salad. If Jason made it, I know it would be delicious.

No deviled eggs?

And Miracle Whip, yuck!

I do love potato salad. If Jason made it, I know it would be delicious.

The food looks delicious. Ambrosia salad is one of my favorites. What are those things being used to pull apart the pork butt? Looking at them and thinking they might make a good Father's Day present for DH.

Oh and you are making us southern GG folks look like slackers. Are we supposed to have planned activities for the kids? Won't that take away from our sitting on our arses and BSing time?

This is essentially the same recipe I use for the Atomic Buffalo Turds, but instead of Cayenne and Paprika, we used Tony Chachre's to season the cream cheese, and we mixed in about a half cup of shredded cheddar cheese in the cream cheese mix:

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/atomic-buffalo-turds/

Just getting home from work. I know Sil took pics of every dish at the potluck so definitely available.

Here's the recipe for the potato and egg salad

Grandma's Potato Salad

5 lbs russet potatoes peeled and chopped to around 1"-1 and 1/2" in size. Boil till cooked but leave a little resistance since they are not for mashing.

10 jumbo sized eggs. Boil the eggs and peel them once cool enough to handle.

Refrigerate. Potatoes and eggs for a couple of hours so they are cold

Then in a large bowl put your potatoes and then chop about 6 of your eggs. I have a near egg slicer that has an option star shape slice as well. I run both At the same time and get good chunks. Reserve the other eggs for now.

Add a few grinds of fresh pepper if available. I used regular pepper we keep for camping but I like the fresh better. Add a couple of pinches of salt.

Now for what makes this a little different from most potato salads. I used just enough miracle whip to coat. Sorry no measurements for that. Probably less than a cup. Maybe about 2/3. Add a little till you get it right. Don't want to much.

The other secret ingredient is sweet relish. I had a about 3 tablespoons. I don't really measure this though its all by eye and taste so that is just an estimate.

Mix together till thoroughly combined. Smooth out the top so it is nice and even. I then slice about 2 eggs to lay on the top. Once you have the top covered sprinkle the top with paprika.

Ideally you should let this set for a couple of hours so the tastes really combine but it can be served right away.

Oh you may have noticed I have two extra eggs left. Those are my treat for all the work. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and enjoy.

Looks like an AWESOME Grand Gathering :)!!!

Carol it is a great GG, after 4 years I think we got it right. But for next year we are looking to change campgrounds, as Kahuna John said we are just not feeling the love here anymore. So next Easter I think the vote is for a place near Lancaster Pa. so mark it in your calendars for next year!!!!!!!!!!

Lancaster is a beautiful place....wish we could make the trip up there.  

Yes Lancaster is a great area lot's to see & do, we try to do this at Easter mainly because of the school breaks, maybe if no snow days next year it could work out for more folks to make it. Plus so much to do would make it worth it for folks from a distance to make a long trip worth while

Just getting home from work. I know Sil took pics of every dish at the potluck so definitely available.

Here's the recipe for the potato and egg salad

Grandma's Potato Salad

5 lbs russet potatoes peeled and chopped to around 1"-1 and 1/2" in size. Boil till cooked but leave a little resistance since they are not for mashing.

10 jumbo sized eggs. Boil the eggs and peel them once cool enough to handle.

Refrigerate. Potatoes and eggs for a couple of hours so they are cold

Then in a large bowl put your potatoes and then chop about 6 of your eggs. I have a near egg slicer that has an option star shape slice as well. I run both At the same time and get good chunks. Reserve the other eggs for now.

Add a few grinds of fresh pepper if available. I used regular pepper we keep for camping but I like the fresh better. Add a couple of pinches of salt.

Now for what makes this a little different from most potato salads. I used just enough miracle whip to coat. Sorry no measurements for that. Probably less than a cup. Maybe about 2/3. Add a little till you get it right. Don't want to much.

The other secret ingredient is sweet relish. I had a about 3 tablespoons. I don't really measure this though its all by eye and taste so that is just an estimate.

Mix together till thoroughly combined. Smooth out the top so it is nice and even. I then slice about 2 eggs to lay on the top. Once you have the top covered sprinkle the top with paprika.

Ideally you should let this set for a couple of hours so the tastes really combine but it can be served right away.

Oh you may have noticed I have two extra eggs left. Those are my treat for all the work. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and enjoy.

Thanks for sharing this recipe, Jason.  It sounds like something a grandmother would share!

My grandmother used to make this awesome cake that we all miss.  She tried to explain the recipe to my mother several times, as it was not something written down.  No one has ever been able to get it quite right.

TCD

The food looks delicious. Ambrosia salad is one of my favorites. What are those things being used to pull apart the pork butt? Looking at them and thinking they might make a good Father's Day present for DH.

Oh and you are making us southern GG folks look like slackers. Are we supposed to have planned activities for the kids? Won't that take away from our sitting on our arses and BSing time?

Google BBQ bear claws and you will find some of the claws for pulling the pork.

For the kids Cherly organized tye dye, I made eggs for them to paint (salt water flour dough) and there was an egg hunt that the older kids did. Pictures of all to come!

The rest of the time they were at the playground, sun up to sun down!