From Inside the Magic...

Star Wars: Episode VII cast announced, bringing back original stars including Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill

Disney and Lucasfilm have announced the cast of “Star Wars: Episode VII.”

The cast includes the return of original stars Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker along with newcomers to the series, actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow.

A group photo has been released:

tumblr_n4swwfDu7q1qz5mvzo1_1280-550x312.

“We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again,” said director J.J. Abrams. “We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud.”

The list of returning actors means Episode VII will include Han Solo, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, C-3PO, Chewbacca, and R2-D2.

See full article with photos of main cast here...
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2014/04/star-wars-episode-vii-cast-announced-bringing-back-original-cast-including-harrison-ford-carrie-fisher-mark-hamill/

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw it on Saturday and thought it was really good!  Like others have said more in line with the originals, which is a very good thing.   I did good avoiding spoilers but it wasn't easy.   I will say

But if they didnt at least include them in this, and there is no guarantee they will have huge roles, a large group of fans might dismiss this and be lost to them. Including them in at least this movi

I'm blown away that they are building these as physical props. (BTW, did absolutely no one get my Dantooine joke? That was friggin hilarious!) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

From BBC News...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27426140

Actor Oscar Isaac has confirmed filming on the new Star Wars movie will commence later this month.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Front Row, the 34-year-old said: "The whole process is under way. We're shooting in the studios up here in London."

Isaac was one of the new cast members announced for the film in April, alongside Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

Isaac, recently seen in Inside Llewyn Davis, said his family were "very excited" by his latest role.

"My uncle and my cousin have galleries of the Star Wars toys they've collected," he told Kirsty Lang.

"So once I told them I had been cast, he nearly fainted, my uncle. He got sweaty and pale. He was very excited.

"The idea that I could be a toy for him is the craziest thing."

_74871934_7763abb7-017c-422c-b29a-8970ba
A picture of the new Star Wars cast was released by director JJ Abrams last month

Little is known about Isaac's role in Star Wars: Episode VII, and the actor admitted he was under strict orders not to reveal details.

However he spoke about being cast in the movie by director JJ Abrams, saying he had been called to a meeting in Paris earlier this year.

"I'm a huge Star Wars fan but at the same time I'm defensively pessimistic, so I assumed that maybe it was a different project," he said.

Once Abrams confirmed the meeting was about Star Wars, Isaac said he "tried to play it cool - but, I mean, it was clear I was just so excited he wanted me to be a part of the whole thing."

The actor also confessed he used to dress up as characters from the outer space blockbuster franchise as a child.

"Not as a Jedi Knight," he stressed, "but I dressed up as a gonk droid a couple of times.

"I liked the tertiary characters or the ones you don't necessarily look at. I was a huge Boba Fett fan."

Isaac will step into his actual Star Wars costume for the first time at Pinewood studios. Location shoots are also rumoured to be taking place in Morocco and Tunisia later this year.

The film will be the first Star Wars title released by Disney, after creator George Lucas sold the rights to the franchise in 2012.

It will also see the return of the three principal characters from the original trilogy - Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) and Han Solo (Harrison Ford).

Why would George not like hearing this?

As a Star Wars fan, not a fanatical one mind you, I'm disappointed that the best they can do is dig up the actors that helped make the brand so popular, and hope that it happens again. I don't want to see them as senior citizens. They caught lightening in a bottle the first time around and they should leave it be.

As a Star Wars fan, not a fanatical one mind you, I'm disappointed that the best they can do is dig up the actors that helped make the brand so popular, and hope that it happens again. I don't want to see them as senior citizens. They caught lightening in a bottle the first time around and they should leave it be.

You're just afraid of seeing a 60 year old Leia in a slave bikini. 

Agree

You're just afraid of seeing a 60 year old Leia in a slave bikini. 

Yes

But if they didnt at least include them in this, and there is no guarantee they will have huge roles, a large group of fans might dismiss this and be lost to them. Including them in at least this movie is a solid move to make. I dont think they need to be the focus of the movie or the trilogy though. 

But if they didnt at least include them in this, and there is no guarantee they will have huge roles, a large group of fans might dismiss this and be lost to them. Including them in at least this movie is a solid move to make. I dont think they need to be the focus of the movie or the trilogy though. 

I agree with you on this.  And I don't expect them to have substantial roles in Episode VIII and beyond....this is probably a bridge to a new generation.  Hopefully one that includes attractive young Padme granddaughters. 

I agree.

The goal here is to sell a lot of tickets.  I'm going to buy one just to see what they do with Luke, Leia and Han. 

It's a brilliant move on Disney's part.

TCD

I don't know who the large group of fans Jason is referring to are, and I'm also not clear on what would be lost to them?

For the most part, the people that will be interested in seeing them again are the serious SW fans, and they're going no matter what ends up on the screen. They have those people already.

That leaves the casual movie goer and new fans. Does the casual movie goer care or even know who's in it or who those characters are?

As for a new generation of fans, how will those geezers attract them?

And why didn't they feel it was necessary to include them include them in episodes 1, 2, & 3?

The goal here is to sell a lot of tickets.  I'm going to buy one just to see what they do with Luke, Leia and Han. 

Bingo, it has little to do with improving the brand or putting out a quality product that will enhance something that was great.

I would consider myself a huge fan of star wars. The prequel trilogy couldnt include them because they werent born yet and Lucas was still doing "his vision". Bringing in those actors to at least reprise their roles will bring a group of people who just want to see those characters. If they used new actors for those characters while the originals were available a lot of fans, myself included, would have taken issue with that based on the when the new trilogy is to be set. There is no real reason to not have them in it but if they werent there I honestly don't know if I would have bothered going to a theater to see these new movies. I have a decent home theater setup, a popcorn maker, and a fridge with beer. I need another reason to go to a theater now a days. 

I agree with Jason....not including them would have been a mistake.  I actually think it is pretty cool that all 3 of them will be in this movie....32 years after the release of Episode VI.  And lest we think the young generation doesn't give a hoot about these "geezers"....my daughters think Harrison Ford is "da bomb". 

Excerpt from the updated article from BBC News...

16 May 2014 Last updated at 03:35 ET Star Wars: 'Day one' filming begins
_74897059_debc3b87-5afa-4cb3-a947-6b96a7

The image showed the clapper board being used on the first day of filming

The latest Star Wars film franchise has begun shooting, production company Bad Robot has announced on Twitter.

The film company, founded by the movie's director JJ Abrams, tweeted a picture of a branded clapper board with the hashtag "#dayone".

A dusting of sand on the picture appears to confirm initial scenes are being shot in Abu Dhabi.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27426140

Including the geezers in the sequels certainly makes better sense than forcing characters into the prequels in ways that don't jibe with the original story lines. Chewy and Yoda used to be buds!? Fader didn't remember c3po, neither did Obi Wan? R2 can fly in the prequels but can barely traverse a dirt road in the originals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...