A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

Aw man we going to be stuck on this ride all night

Sorry about that.

And, I don't even have any guest recovery paper FP's to give you.

But, please remain seated and keep your hands inside the vehicle, this TR will resume moving immediately.

Can you opt to wait for the front row or is it luck of where you are in line?

I have seen people do it.

But, the load area is kind of chaotic, and the CM's don't seem very happy about that request.  There really isn't a convenient place to have guests stand off to the side like they do at Expedition Everest and RNRC.

I wouldn't ask for front row on your first ride.  Just enjoy it.  Maybe on a subsequent ride you can ask.

Waking up Jose? Awesome

Trails End? Awesome

A FSU-ND experience report would have been cool too.

PM has been sent!

Yes, all of that was awesome.

One bad thing about the new era is that it has totally interfered with my attendance at college football games this year.

I thought it would be easier for the girls to take off of work, but getting a Saturday off isn't an easy thing to do.

But, the twins each have two more footballs seasons as students (at least).  I really wanted to go to another Auburn game this year, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.  My oldest DD graduates from there in May, and may be moving on to a new school or job.

TCD

Super cool about the Tiki Room speaking part. I remember it as a kid too. I even made my parents buy me a fake, then a real bird because of it.

Glad all 3 girls got to spend time together.

Did you use the hack I already know?

It's good to hear how many of us liked the Tiki Room. 

I am not sure if we've ever discussed this particular hack.  I just sent you a PM, since I know you are getting ready to head to WDW, and you need to give this one a try.

TCD

We left off midway through the Mine Train ride.

We headed through the Mine, and now here we are ready to take the plunge down the big drop:

101614039_zpsb7a8c1f3.jpg

Photo credit to Twin #1 for this photo showing my oldest daughter and me heading down the hill:

minetrain1_zps25de3194.jpg

It was just a few updates back in this very thread that I complained about not being able to get a good photo of the surprise visitor on the other side of the Dwarfs' cottage.  It turns out that when you ride in the front row, you can get all the photos you want.  Here she is:

101614041_zps524b6492.jpg

And, I learned something.  On all of my previous rides, I have buzzed right past the old witch, and was lucky to get a quick glimpse. I didn't know she is an animatronic figure, who moves and even talks.  See how she's looking at the camera in that last photo, with her mouth open?  In this next one, her mouth is closed, and she's turned toward the door:

101614042_zps2b3b3dab.jpg

Here, her mouth is still closed, but she is looking our way again:

101614043_zps34ed3a24.jpg

And here, you can see that her head it tilted up, and she has her mouth open mid-cackle:

101614045_zpse0865587.jpg

Since I had never been able to get a good photo of the witch until now, I took one last one for good measure:

101614047_zps7a1a2199.jpg

I am glad I got a good look at the witch.  But, this is another fail on this ride.  Only the passengers in the front few rows of each train can see the witch.  The ride slows, and most of the time stops next to that scene. But, when the train moves again, the passengers in the back will speed right past the witch, and I would bet that most of them don't even notice her.

Dummies.

Next on our agenda was to go and visit something new that some of us had not yet seen.

The new Haunted Mansion gift shop.

You may recall that I saw the outside of it on October 4, but it had not yet opened at that time.

Today it was open.

It's done well so far.

Most days, there is a line of guests waiting to get in.

I sure hoped that we didn't have to wait in line today.

We headed that way.

Currently, they only let guests in through the doors that open to the covered part of the walkway.  Under this sign:

101614048_zps81490552.jpg

I had heard from fellow Fiend Devores that there was some kind of special photo opportunity in this gift shop, but I wasn't clear what it was.

This sign, apparently, was referring to that photo op:

101614049_zpsd18a1a1c.jpg

As you might expect, the shop was filled with Haunted Mansion merchandise.  A lot of t-shirts and sweatshirts and various knick-knacks.  Here are some shirts and creepy dolls:

101614050_zps4c923dbe.jpg

And here are some t-shirts that look like the costumes worn by Haunted Mansion CM's:

101614051_zpsf06649de.jpg

The twins both want this sweatshirt, but wanted to wait until their 40% holiday merchandise discounts kick in:

101614052_zpsde2a0183.jpg

101614053_zps52d14c6e.jpg

The gift shop is very small, and very crowded.  There was a group congregated in this corner here, and I didn't understand why:

101614054_zps4971aa34.jpg

Twin #2, who has worked in the gift shop already, explained that those guests were waiting to pick up their "Spirit Photos."   That's the special photos we saw advertised when we first entered. There's a small room near the entrance where guests have their photos taken.  Then, they have to go over to the area shown in the last photo and wait for it to materialize.  Fun, but this is going to be bad on busy days.  There's not enough room in the store for this.

We looked around the gift shop some more.  These bookends are neat, but they're also $40- so not that neat:

101614056_zps645f157e.jpg

If you want a Haunted Mansion blanket or pillow, they've got you covered:

101614057_zpscbf8638a.jpg

Here's a candlestick for you:

101614058_zps8d878686.jpg

This rack holds key chains, stickers, note pads and more:

101614059_zps28bce26b.jpg

As we looked around, we discussed the Spirit Portraits.  We all thought they were cool, and I wanted us to get one.  But, we found out that there can be only one guest per portrait.  I said one of us should do it.  But, none of the girls wanted to.  They said I should do it.  So I did. Peer pressure gets me again.

You have to pay first.  Then bring your receipt to a small room they have hidden behind the curtains in the entrance.  A CM sits you on a small stool, and coaches you on what face to make.  I also had the help of my daughters:

spiritphoto1_zps1bb468f7.jpg

Then, we had to go and stand next to the portrait of Madam Leota.  This is pretty cool.  The portrait has special effects that show up periodically.  Here, there are eyes that light up, just like they do on the ride:

101614064_zps4efcba7b.jpg

The CM standing there asked us if we saw Lucifer.  We said we did- that's the cat here, poking out from the folds of Leota's skirt:

leota_zpsb8699bad.jpg

Nope said the CM.

Wrong.

Lucifer apparently is the name of this bird:

101614066_zps5aac16a0.jpg

I don't know the cat's name.

I think Lucifer is the name of a cat in Cinderella.

It turns out I don't know very much about Madame Leota.  Actually, I don't know anything about her.

As we stood there, we heard the distant sound of a bell ringing, and then the CM opened a door in the wall, and there was my portrait.

With tax, the Spirit Photo set me back $21.25.

This is what I got for my money:

101614067_zps147d1cab.jpg

101614068_zpscb6e3903.jpg

One of those is supposed to show me in my corruptible, mortal state, and the other is supposed to show my Spirit side.  But, I don't know which is which.

I tried to get a better photo outside:

Before:

101614070_zpscbfe9b28.jpg

After:

101614069_zpsb1e32827.jpg

None of this was good for my ego.  Apparently, I am going to look just as bad in the afterworld as I do now.  It's a good thing I've got game.

While we were in the neighborhood, the girls paid a visit to Rapunzel's restrooms.  I just looked at the tower:

101614071_zps1826dbb0.jpg

I like the stuff they added in this area.  This is the outside of the Haunted Mansion gift shop, on the side by Rapunzel's Tower.  Doesn't look very spooky from this side:

101614072_zps4d44f61d.jpg

I really like the fake stream and little bridge they added.  Much better than the wasted space that was here before:

101614073_zpse371072b.jpg

Hey- did you catch the fact that I mentioned in the last update that this day, Thursday, October 16, was a MNSSHP day?  That meant the MK would be closing for us at 7.  It also meant that there would be some mighty fine people watching come 4 pm.  Actually, we didn't need to wait for 4.  Here comes the first Wonder Woman of the day:

101614074_zps045143dd.jpg

I already brought this up earlier in this thread:  What is up with all the Wonder Women?

Remember how the last time we people watched at a MNSSHP, Wonder Women were streaming in at the alarming rate of 50+ per hour (my math may be off, but the point is still valid-there were a lot of Wonder Women).

I asked then if Wonder Woman was a thing?

Nobody answered that question.

So, I had to consult the Information Super Highway.

What I found is that people are trying very hard to once again make Wonder Woman a thing.

She apparently is going to show up in an upcoming movie called Batman v. Superman: The Dawn of Justice.  Mark you calendars for March 25, 2016.  Yes, 2016.  That's not a typo.

And, then, in 2017, she's going to have her very own movie.

I am not a comic book nerd, so I don't understand how all of this works- but I don't think Wonder Woman is part of the Marvel Universe.  She's from DC comics. 

So, why doesn't Disney put a stop to this?

On the other hand, maybe Disney knows what it's doing.  No offense to the hundreds of  Wonder Women who have shown up at the MNSSHP parties, but none of them have really made me want to go and see the movie.

Hopefully, the earth will be destroyed by an asteroid before 2016, and we will all be spared from the coming Wonder Women onslaught.

Sorry.

Where were we?

Oh yeah.

Time to move on to our next FP+ reservation.

And, I will be revealing some closely guarded secrets of Adventureland.  Courtesy of Twin #1.  Seriously, I have some photos of things I guarantee you have never seen before, and which you will find both cool and amazing.  And, I will share a top secret CM code (like Code V), which I'll bet you've never heard before. 

TCD

Thanks for taking that $21.95 for the team. Now I know not to try the Spirit photo. I have enough bad photos of myself.

Yet another wonderful benefit of the CP -- meeting all those young people from other countries and becoming friends with them. And kuddos to your daughters for taking advantage of that.  I'm sure there are some who just want to hang with people from their own college or state. 

And, while eating lunch today I read a good review about this book. I think your daughters should get it for you for Christmas.

A Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jull Lepore (a Harvard professor). It sounds like you may have underestimated Ms. Woman.

I think the name of this TR should be change to something like "TCD's Life at Disney". That seems more appropriate since so much time is being spent there now :D

I know.

The sad thing is, like all good things, this will soon come to an end.

The girls finish up at the end of December, and then it's back to school.

Thanks for taking that $21.95 for the team. Now I know not to try the Spirit photo. I have enough bad photos of myself.

Yet another wonderful benefit of the CP -- meeting all those young people from other countries and becoming friends with them. And kuddos to your daughters for taking advantage of that.  I'm sure there are some who just want to hang with people from their own college or state. 

And, while eating lunch today I read a good review about this book. I think your daughters should get it for you for Christmas.

A Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jull Lepore (a Harvard professor). It sounds like you may have underestimated Ms. Woman.

I'm glad I got the spirit photo.  Especially when I did. I think it's going to be a bad scene in there once more people hear about it and want to try it.

I didn't know the girls would be meeting so many different CM's during their programs.  It is a great benefit to the program.  And, it makes them appreciate where they get to live.

Wow, a whole Wonder Woman book?  She is becoming a thing after all.

TCD

On the subject of Wonder Woman, it turns out that the 100's of Wonder Women invading the MK don't have their costumes right.

This is the new Wonder Woman costume:

BtfMEWrCQAI_R1_.jpg

The release of this photo at this summer's Comic Con apparently caused quite a stir in the Comic Book Nerd Universe.

Even this article on CNN.com drew 1600+ comments. If you would like a good laugh, and feel better about yourself at the same time, I invite you to read the comments:  http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/28/showbiz/movies/wonder-woman-gal-gadot-photo-batman-v-superman/

TCD

Neat that they're getting to meet people and will be able to visit them.

I made the mistake of pointing out that witch to Z. Now, he says he doesn't like that ride. He'll ride it, but made me cover his eyes at the end. This is the kid who loves Splash and BTMRR. Weird. 

Not sure if it was in this thread or another but we went to the movies on Saturday and saw the Alexander bad day movie. It was cute we all liked it even Miley. I enjoyed that there was a movie that was not a cartoon that me and my whole family could go see. So thanks Disney.

Speaking of Wonder Woman, I was going through my bucket of photos and found this "Wonder Woman" taken in May of this year. I know it's not exactly the same, but still a little strange I thought.IMG_4181_zps5d8c4a5c.jpg

No not strange he is pushing a stroller. Kids back pack kid won't wear it and Super Dad is stuck with it. Pretty much normal.

No not strange he is pushing a stroller. Kids back pack kid won't wear it and Super Dad is stuck with it. Pretty much normal.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.  Very similar to when I get stuck carrying my wife's bright pink floral Vera Bradley bag through the airport.  I just suck it up and do it because I'm a good husband, ok not really I complain the whole time, but I do carry it.

WBI

Neat that they're getting to meet people and will be able to visit them.

I made the mistake of pointing out that witch to Z. Now, he says he doesn't like that ride. He'll ride it, but made me cover his eyes at the end. This is the kid who loves Splash and BTMRR. Weird. 

As we will see in the next update, not all of the people they've met are people they will be visiting.

The Disney College Program also attracts some very unique individuals, as we shall see.

Wow. Wonder woman is the new Xena:Warrior Princess. Who knew?

I sure didn't.

This is wrong!

Wonder Woman is supposed to be dressed in Red, White and Blue, darn it!

Sorry, Xena was way cooler in her outfit than this chick in her knock off.

Looks like the new outfit is a flop.

Based on how many old-school Wonder Women I saw, and zero new-costume WW's, I would say that the people have spoken.

Not sure if it was in this thread or another but we went to the movies on Saturday and saw the Alexander bad day movie. It was cute we all liked it even Miley. I enjoyed that there was a movie that was not a cartoon that me and my whole family could go see. So thanks Disney.

Glad that you liked it.

I thought it was a good movie too.

I am looking forward to seeing it at the Fort some day.

And this is my 3,000th post so I figured I would put it in the longest trip report ever so everyone can see. Oh and I hope it keeps on going.

I am honored!

Congratulations on 3000.  You're catching up!

Speaking of Wonder Woman, I was going through my bucket of photos and found this "Wonder Woman" taken in May of this year. I know it's not exactly the same, but still a little strange I thought.

IMG_4181_zps5d8c4a5c.jpg

I love it.

Great job getting a photo.

That dude looks complicated.  I like the tattoo around his calf.  Why?

You're right.

Been there.

Done that.

Only the backpack I wore was a Sailor Moon one.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.  Very similar to when I get stuck carrying my wife's bright pink floral Vera Bradley bag through the airport.  I just suck it up and do it because I'm a good husband, ok not really I complain the whole time, but I do carry it.

WBI

Yeah, sure.

It's the wife's.

If you say so.  ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nothing at all.

I'm sure that Nick looks stunning with the pink floral bag.

He probably wears a scarf too, to tie it all together.

TCD

Oh I agree, that was my first thought. Even at 3 I have had to lug some odd bags around for the oldest DD. Just thought it was an interesting shot :)

Update time.

You may have noticed there was no update yesterday.

There was another unplanned visit.  And more bonus feature material.  I have some photos of a place most of you have never and will never see.  But, first we need to finish up with our October 16 visit. I have a couple of photos of things in this update that you may never have seen or heard about, but these things you can see for yourself, if you wish.

Next on our agenda was Splash Mountain.  It's been a while. It's not anyone in the TCD gang's favorite, but it's a fine attraction, and we decided a nice sunny day was a good day to ride.  So we did.  Well, most of us did.  The oldest TCD DD decided to sit this one out.  For some reason, she has the distinction of always getting a good splash on Splash Mountain, and she decided she would rather not get splashed.  it turns out she was the smart one.

Splash Mountain is an amazing attraction.  The size and length of it are impressive.  To me, it represents what Disney used to be all about- if you're going to build something, make it bigger and better than anything that came before it.  Sadly, Disney has gotten away from that philosophy, and now seems to be more about cutting corners and seeing how far they can stretch their dollars.  An attraction like Splash Mountain will never happen again.  No way would Disney spend that much money and effort on just one attraction.  Everything that has come since is smaller and feels cheaper.

There is so much detail on Splash.  Like the Briar Patch:

101614076_zps22163c1d.jpg

And these props you ride past on the way to the big drop:

101614078_zps26421ba9.jpg

101614079_zpsff7f78a6.jpg

Uh-oh.  A clothesline:

101614080_zps7ef1ce36.jpg

It would be cool if you could time it so you were up here when the fireworks were going off:

101614081_zpsb13fa073.jpg

Ride photo:

101614082_zps68ab47e1.jpg

We did pretty good not getting splashed, but one of the water jets they shoot off after the drop got us good.  Dang it.

Now it was 1:45, and things were looking a bit more crowded in Frontierland:

101614083_zps8beea1b9.jpg

Twin #1 has been offering to take us on a guided tour of Adventureland to show us some hidden things that most guests never notice.  Earlier in this interminable report, we saw the smallest Hidden Mickey located in a Disney park.  Now, we were going to have some more secrets revealed.

On the way, I noticed something I've never noticed on the wall next to Pecos Bill's:

101614084_zps208fab0f.jpg

I never knew there was a place to get your clothes washed in the Magic Kingdom.  I'll have to check that place out on a future visit.

Twin #1 led us around the outside of Pecos Bill's, toward Adventureland, and we stopped at one of those new-ish displays they have around for that new Pirates' Adventure interactive game.  She pointed something on the bottom shelf of a display case.  This:

101614085_zps87cd7289.jpg

What the heck is that?

A duck skull with a hat?

No, it's not a duck skull.

It's a platypus skull.  With a fedora.  Like Agent P from Phineas and Ferb, the Disney cartoon?

What we have here is a tribute from the Imagineers who created the Pirate Adventure interactive game to the other WDW interactive games which preceded it. So, we have a tribute to the Agent P game, and a nod to the Kim Possible game, and a medallion from the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game.  All in that little basket, tucked away where most guests would never see it.

I thought that was cool.

If you want to see this for yourself, look for this display area near the restrooms outside of the pirate ride- the basket is on the bottom shelf on the right:

101614088_zpsb166f8cb.jpg

There is a bunch more stuff around here, and I spent some time studying it.  I thought that the voodoo doll up there to the right above the candles in this photo bore a resemblance to Captain Jack Sparrow, and asked Twin #1 about it- she thinks it might be a clue for the Pirate Adventure game, but wasn't sure:

101614087_zps94912a2d.jpg

Twin #1 was glad that she impressed us with the Perry skull.  So, she led us in to the gift shop next.  She was looking for the next thing to show us.  I thought this mannequin kid had weird eyebrows, but that wasn't why we came in here:

101614089_zpsae774e32.jpg

I don't know.  There's something suspicious about those eyebrows.

Twin #1 was looking around for a key to show us, but couldn't find it.  We will have to look for that next time.  The next thing she pointed out to us was this red vase, up there on top of the shelf on the right:

101614090_zpscebac13d.jpg

You see that coin there in the middle of the vase?  That's an actual prop used in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie:

101614091_zps6d111581.jpg

101614092_zpsd0948c7b.jpg

It's interesting that these things are hidden in plain sight.

Outside the entrance to the ride, Twin #1 pointed out this rock, which I never noticed resembles a skull:

101614094_zps5bcb0479.jpg

She also pointed out that from the spot where we were standing, we could see the three fountains which form a big triangle around the Pirates attraction. This one is next to Tortuga Tavern:

101614095_zpsec8fa3be.jpg

This one you can see through the archway is the fountain next to where they do the pirate tutorials:

101614097_zps1bcb38fb.jpg

The third one is more difficult to see- it's on the other side of the queue, in a courtyard that I don't think I've ever noticed before:

101614096_zpsb2e3dc00.jpg

Those three fountains are set out in the form of a triangle around the entrance to the Pirates attraction.  According to Twin #1 they are a nod to the Bermuda Triangle, and all guests entering the attraction travel through it.

I didn't know there were three fountains-and never noticed that courtyard.

That was cool.

While we stood there enjoying learning about these Adventureland secrets, Twin #1 told us some more.

She told us that this past October has been known among the Pirates CM's as Evactober.  Because they have had to shut down the ride and evacuate it almost every single day.  The ride has issues.  It's those new boats.  They're not good.

The other thing she told us is a code the Pirates CM's use.  It's called Code Wall E.  Code Wall E?  What could that be?  Have you seen the movie Wall E?  Do you remember the large humans on the space station?  When a Pirates boat bottoms out because it is overloaded with large guests, that's called a Code Wall E.  That's another reason for the frequent evacuations.

Those last tidbits are what you call unofficial Disney secrets.

But now you know.

Next up, we had FP+'s for the Haunted Mansion.  We headed that way.

On the way, I took this photo of an area next to the Shootin' Gallery.  A week or two ago, there was an old photo posted by WBI on another thread which showed antlers on top of a building like we see here.  WBI thought the building was on Tom Sawyer Island, but I think it looks like it might have been here:

101614098_zps21ac5384.jpg

WBI, if you're reading along- do you know the photo I'm referring to?

After the Haunted Mansion, the girls wanted to try catching the Festival of Fantasy parade from a new location- Liberty Square.  We found some spots right in front of the Hall of Presidents:

101614101_zpsaf62e720.jpg

What a beautiful day it was:

101614102_zps2b942f83.jpg

We were right across from the wheelchair viewing area and the majestic Liberty Tree:

101614103_zps05e6b4be.jpg

Do you know that the Liberty Tree was moved to that exact place when the Magic Kingdom was built, and has stood there ever since?

Standing in front of the Hall of Presidents, and looking to the right of the Liberty Tree, there's a circle of flags which represent the original 13 colonies.  When I looked over there I noticed that there were two people standing there in matching dark blue shirts.  They didn't have Disney CM name tags on, and I asked the twins if they knew who those two were and why they were there.  They didn't know-seemed suspicious to me:

101614105_zpsd72768b0.jpg

It was almost parade time, so the Grand Marshalls came by.  This time it was just a couple.  I thought that they always picked a family.  The lady we saw waving from the car had on a t-shirt that said it was her 50th birthday.  I guess that got her picked.  Lucky:

101614106_zpscd3c21e6.jpg

101614107_zpsc1bdb273.jpg

Man, the folks in wheelchairs were packed in today:

101614108_zps0012bb2b.jpg

As we waited for the parade, Twin #2 nudged me and pointed out this young lady with blue cat ears waiting to watch the parade:

101614109_zps44333d0b.jpg

She told me that girl is a CM.  I asked how she knew.  She said it was the Icee that gave her away:

101614111_zpsedeb8b6e.jpg

How did the Icee give her away?

Do you see the cup?  That's what they use in the CM cafeteria down in the Utilidors.  CM's aren't supposed to bring those out on stage.  But this one did.

She also had a blue cat tail to match the ears and was having a conversation with her Anna doll.  Apparently, nobody tells her what to do:

101614112_zps0858d3b8.jpg

As I said earlier, not all of the CM's the twins have met are going to be people they will be keeping in touch with.

Next up, we are going to watch the Festival of Fantasy parade.

Again.

Which might sound boring.

But, remember those two suspicious people in the dark blue shirts?

It turns out they had something to do with the parade.

You'll find out what in the next update.

TCD

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yeah, sure.

It's the wife's.

If you say so.  ;)

Nothing at all.

I'm sure that Nick looks stunning with the pink floral bag.

He probably wears a scarf too, to tie it all together.

TCD

Yeah yeah ya'll are so funny.

By the way I do look pretty manly as I carry that pink floral bag, well as long as my wife is next to me it makes me look like a gentlemen.  If she walks away, then its just awkward.

WBI

Those were some interesting things Twin #2 pointed out! 

I'm glad to hear they still add little things like that, even if most people never notice.

On the way, I took this photo of an area next to the Shootin' Gallery.  A week or two ago, there was an old photo posted by WBI on another thread which showed antlers on top of a building like we see here.  WBI thought the building was on Tom Sawyer Island, but I think it looks like it might have been here:

101614098_zps21ac5384.jpg

WBI, if you're reading along- do you know the photo I'm referring to?

TCD

I do that picture was from 1983, here it is:

1983DW12.jpg

That's me when I was two with my aunt.

I see the antlers in both pictures but I can't really tell much more than that.

WBI