Transportation things that I didn't know about.

Where did he or she say it was direct?  And by direct, do you mean non-stop?  Did the person say that?  The quote says it was a loop.  Is that the same as direct?

Here's the quote below.

"So there is a bus that makes the loop - WL to Outpost to the Settlement and back to WL?"

Am I reading that wrong? It says WL to the Outpost, not the settlement.

To me, the loop is WL, Outpost, Settlement, WL.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have learned that waiting on Disney transportation beats waiting on your family to get ready to go anywhere while on vacation.

I have an even better approach.  When staying at the Fort, we leave our campsite around 2 hours before we want to hit a park.  We drive offsite to the Hampton Inn on 192, where we help ourselves to th

I think it might be time for this video.   Crank up the volume, make it full screen size, and enjoy!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened?  The person asking the question was talking about today.  Their trail ride was at 11:30 and they needed to catch DME at WL for 2pm (but was told to be waiting by 1:45pm).

I don't think I'd be willing to cut it this close if it means potentially missing a flight.  Too many things could mess up their timetable. The trail ride could start late or run long for any number of reasons - and it's not like they're going to let you gallop back, they barely let you walk. They could also have to wait for the bus/boat/carrier pigeon/whatever means of transport they've opted for.

On paper it looks doable, but given the consequences if anything doesn't go strictly according to plan, I wouldn't do it.

Where did he or she say it was direct?  And by direct, do you mean non-stop?  Did the person say that?  The quote says it was a loop.  Is that the same as direct?

On my original post there is the quote below where she is told that the bus goes from the WL and drops off first at the Outpost which to me is the same thing as direct, no?

"I was told that from the WL the bus drops at Outpost first."

Here's the quote below.

"So there is a bus that makes the loop - WL to Outpost to the Settlement and back to WL?"

Am I reading that wrong? It says WL to the Outpost, not the settlement.

To me, the loop is WL, Outpost, Settlement, WL.

I see what you're saying.

I was looking at it like this- the Yellow bus leaves WL, and makes several stops along the way, the first being the Settlement, but it does continue all the way to the Outpost, where it will turn around and come back.  In that sense, it's a loop.  Constantly circulating from the Lodge to the Outpost.

However you look at it- the main point is that the guest needed the Yellow bus, and that advice was apparently not given.

I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened?  The person asking the question was talking about today.  Their trail ride was at 11:30 and they needed to catch DME at WL for 2pm (but was told to be waiting by 1:45pm).

I don't think I'd be willing to cut it this close if it means potentially missing a flight.  Too many things could mess up their timetable. The trail ride could start late or run long for any number of reasons - and it's not like they're going to let you gallop back, they barely let you walk. They could also have to wait for the bus/boat/carrier pigeon/whatever means of transport they've opted for.

On paper it looks doable, but given the consequences if anything doesn't go strictly according to plan, I wouldn't do it.

Agreed.

The buses also get held up loading and unloading scooters, and there are delays caused by dummies who don't know how to fold strollers or who stop the bus driver to ask if the illuminated sign really indicates where the bus is going. 

And then there are the idiots who drive their golf carts 5 mph and refuse to pull over.  Oh, and don't forget that we have to share the road with bikes.  I was on an Orange bus that followed a large slow lady on a bicycle all the way from the Settlement to the 1000 loop.  That lady refused to pull over to let the bus pass.  I guess that was her right. But it was rude.

So no, you don't want to count on the bus system to get you anywhere in a hurry.

TCD

On my original post there is the quote below where she is told that the bus goes from the WL and drops off first at the Outpost which to me is the same thing as direct, no?

"I was told that from the WL the bus drops at Outpost first."

I don't have the benefit of seeing the original post in context.

I don't know what bus the person is talking about. In the afternoon, if you get on a Hollywood Studios bus at the Lodge, it does stop at the Outpost at the Fort first before heading on to DHS.  In the mornings, it goes to the Grand Floridian.

TCD

I don't have the benefit of seeing the original post in context.

Here's all of it.

"Thanks so much for responding. That does help.

I asked at FW (bus driver) and at the WL (experienced guest) today. I was told that from the WL the bus drops at Outpost first (I guess we'll allow time on our way to transfer buses if that's not the case).

I was also told that all transportation leaving FW is from the bus or boat stops at the Settlement.

So there is a bus that makes the loop - WL to Outpost to Settlement and back to WL? Or am I overthinking it?

I feel like an hour and 15 minutes should be enough even if we do have to make a bus transfer, but I will definitely have the DME number on hand, and ask the drivers for help."

I don't know what bus the person is talking about. In the afternoon, if you get on a Hollywood Studios bus at the Lodge, it does stop at the Outpost at the Fort first before heading on to DHS.  In the mornings, it goes to the Grand Floridian.

They don't mention which bus they were told to take, but they have some reservation about it because after being told that there is a WL to the Outpost bus and that it stops at the Outpost first, they then say that they will add extra time in case the info about it stopping at the Outpost first is inaccurate.

OK- I found that original post where I thought it might be. I keep forgetting that site even exists. But, there are some real hoots there.  You didn't mention this post:

The quickest way back to wilderness lodge from the outpost is taking the express bus that goes up through the center of the campground to the settlement and then either take a bus to wilderness lodge or go to the dock and take the water launch.

Somehow, I've missed this express bus that goes up the center of the campground.

There was once a time, but it has been years now, that the Orange bus went up the center road, and not through the cabin loops. Then it was the Orange bus that went back and forth from the Lodge.  But that has not been the case for at least 5 years now.  And even then, it wasn't an express bus.

The misinformation on that site is amazing.  I also noticed a thread where some poor schmuck was asking what the deal was since his old TV only was getting 5 cable channels.  None of the helpful experts told him he needed to pick up a cable box at the trading post.

TCD

The misinformation on that site is amazing.  I also noticed a thread where some poor schmuck was asking what the deal was since his old TV only was getting 5 cable channels.  None of the helpful experts told him he needed to pick up a cable box at the trading post.

TCD

Oh c'mon.  Surely one of the "thousands of new members" that joined for each of us that were flushed had a proper response to that.  Right? 

Oh c'mon.  Surely one of the "thousands of new members" that joined for each of us that were flushed had a proper response to that.  Right? 

So forgive me for a little hijack here, but there seems to be a back story that I am not aware of. And even "another" site that I'm not quite sure if I know it (I think I do, but not positive). I know I'm new here and I completely understand if you guys don't want to share the story, I was just curious.

I stumbled upon ff.net after my first camping trip there. I was so impressed that I was spending a lot of time on google looking up anything and everything FW. That's how I came here, and joined this community.

Cody

Oh there is a back story and what a book it would make.

There are heroes, villains, mystery, intrigue, back stabbing, humor, new friendships, lost friendships, and maybe a tiny bit of sadness.

After most of the first FF.Net members were banned for life for no reason from that other board, Chris and Jen started FF.Net.

Except for a handful of people that are still there, we all joined the new site and a unique and radical format emerged. Let people be themselves, develop a family atmosphere, and get to know each other in the real world. It's also self moderating.

That Community Board on the other site has died and while the regular camping board is still there it's not very good. The people that are on there now are mostly new and don't hang around. It's humorless, and has lots of bad info.

That's it in a nutshell.

Oh there is a back story and what a book it would make.

There are heroes, villains, mystery, intrigue, back stabbing, humor, new friendships, lost friendships, and maybe a tiny bit of sadness.

This reminds me of the Grandfather's description of the book in "The Princess Bride":

[Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, True Love, miracles.... 

If  you haven't seen it, please do very soon, as it is a wonderful movie!

After most of the first FF.Net members were banned for life for no reason from that other board, Chris and Jen started FF.Net.

Understood Lou. I'm assuming "other board" is the one that has that name in it then? (###Boards)

Thank you all for letting me join in on this fun, I have really been enjoying it so far!

Cody

"We stayed on grounds for the first time in 2007. Thought the best introduction to Disney would be the Hoop De Doo the very first night. We took the boat there (boy was it cool that night)"

They took the bus to MK, then the boat to the Fort.

I would have sprung for a cab to the Outpost but that's just me.

"but when the show was over we were expecting to be taken back to our hotel. Boy were we wrong....they took us to Magic Kingdom."

I don't know why they would think that because if MK is open, you go back there to catch a bus to your resort.

The boats must have been down for some reason and they were using buses instead of the boats to take you back to MK.

They have buses to take you to the resort only if MK is closed when the hoop lets out.

"Having never stayed on the grounds before I figured we had to jump on the ferry back over to the parking lot to get back to hotel....WRONG!"

Yeah, you figured very wrong.

See all those buses at MK, there is one going to your resort. There are no WDW resort buses at TTC.

"We got over there on the VERY LAST ferry leaving the MK only to discover that the buses were on the MK side of the lake! We got some very poor information telling us that we'd have to walk to Polynesian to get a bus (buses do NOT go from hotel to hotel)."

Hold on a second, you just said you figured.

Did they get that info from a WDW Transportation CM? I don't think so.

"This nightmare finally ended with the captain"

No such thing. It was just a lowly CM who's turn it was to aim the boat in the right direction and not hit anything while doing it.

"of the ferry literally taking 5 very lost guest over to the MK on a big ole ferry all by ourselves. Yes we took the bus back to the hotel from the MK SIDE of things and learned a very valuable lesson. I hope someone reading this that might be in the very same shoes as we were learn from my 'Disney lesson' and not make the same mistake,"

A little research beforehand goes a long way.

"Having never stayed on the grounds before I figured we had to jump on the ferry back over to the parking lot to get back to hotel....WRONG!"

Yeah, you figured very wrong.

See all those buses at MK, there is one going to your resort. There are no WDW resort buses at TTC.

The real question is... how did you get to MK in the first place, and unless you hopped there from another park, why wouldn't you just reverse that to get back to your hotel?

"We got over there on the VERY LAST ferry leaving the MK only to discover that the buses were on the MK side of the lake! We got some very poor information telling us that we'd have to walk to Polynesian to get a bus (buses do NOT go from hotel to hotel)."

Hold on a second, you just said you figured.

Did they get that info from a WDW Transportation CM? I don't think so.

Or how about one of the many signs all over the place?  I never understand people going to WDW and guessing how the transportation works.

"This nightmare finally ended with the captain"

No such thing. It was just a lowly CM who's turn it was to aim the boat in the right direction and not hit anything while doing it.

Unless the "nightmare" refers to the captain screeching "it's a small world" the entire ride.

I hope someone reading this that might be in the very same shoes as we were learn from my 'Disney lesson' and not make the same mistake,"

Hopefully most people reading that are thinking, "why in the world didn't you just ASK" before traipsing all over creation trying to figure out how to get from A to B without a clue.