Transportation things that I didn't know about.

Seriously?

Do you really think that's it?

Based on some comments both overheard by folks and read on other forums....that could quite likely be it. 

Or, it could also be that they think of the boat ride as a more "magical" way to arrive at the Fort.  If that's it, I couldn't exactly disagree.  There aren't many places in real life that people have the opportunity to travel by boat as a form of public transportation.   

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have learned that waiting on Disney transportation beats waiting on your family to get ready to go anywhere while on vacation.

I have an even better approach.  When staying at the Fort, we leave our campsite around 2 hours before we want to hit a park.  We drive offsite to the Hampton Inn on 192, where we help ourselves to th

I think it might be time for this video.   Crank up the volume, make it full screen size, and enjoy!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Based on some comments both overheard by folks and read on other forums....that could quite likely be it. 

Or, it could also be that they think of the boat ride as a more "magical" way to arrive at the Fort.  If that's it, I couldn't exactly disagree.  There aren't many places in real life that people have the opportunity to travel by boat as a form of public transportation.   

But unless they're planning to break the sacred Disney rules, which btw, I do all the time, won't they have to Valet at the CR?

A reoccurring theme, except they're saying to get to the MK and then take the boat to the Fort.

You campers must really stink if people are doing this to avoid being in an enclosed space, a bus, with you.

"if going to FW for any reason the boat from MK is the way to go. HDDR or Trails End are near to boat ramp. we never done campfire but I assume you can get there also. we have also never done Backyard BBQ but if I remember correctly it is also near boat. if you would bus from another park you would have to take an internal bus to other end of campground"

A reoccurring theme, except they're saying to get to the MK and then take the boat to the Fort.
You campers must really stink if people are doing this to avoid being in an enclosed spaced, a bus, with you.

"if going to FW for any reason the boat from MK is the way to go. HDDR or Trails End are near to boat ramp. we never done campfire but I assume you can get there also. we have also never done Backyard BBQ but if I remember correctly it is also near boat. if you would bus from another park you would have to take an internal bus to other end of campground"

For some reason, people think of the Fort internal buses differently than any other Disney bus.  I have no idea why.  I've always found the Fort buses to be a comfortable and efficient way to get around the campground. 

... it could also be that they think of the boat ride as a more "magical" way to arrive at the Fort.  If that's it, I couldn't exactly disagree.  There aren't many places in real life that people have the opportunity to travel by boat as a form of public transportation.   

If I could take a boat everywhere, I probably would even if it took longer.  8)

But unless they're planning to break the sacred Disney rules, which btw, I do all the time, won't they have to Valet at the CR?

Given the screaming irrational spit-flying insanity stirred up if you suggest "elsewhere" that people should leave their cars at resorts they're not staying at while going somewhere else, I'd say that yes, they'll have to valet.

For some reason, people think of the Fort internal buses differently than any other Disney bus.  I have no idea why.  I've always found the Fort buses to be a comfortable and efficient way to get around the campground. 

Agreed.  Some people also seem to think that you have to wait forever for them, but most of the time I've taken them the wait has been pretty short.

Then again, I'm assuming that most of the people answering these questions about the Fort buses have never actually stayed at the Fort.  8)

Agreed.  Some people also seem to think that you have to wait forever for them, but most of the time I've taken them the wait has been pretty short.

Then again, I'm assuming that most of the people answering these questions about the Fort buses have never actually stayed at the Fort.  8)

Nor would they ever consider it.  Gosh!  They probably rush back to their hotel room after the Hoop de Doo and take a hot shower. 

Agreed. Some people also seem to think that you have to wait forever for them, but most of the time I've taken them the wait has been pretty short.

Well unless you are like me and apparently become invisible during WWW.

Not only did the waiter at Trails End not see me, but apparently neither did a bus driver when I was standing at the bus stop waiting to go down to the Settlement.

Is it just the Fort experts on the other board that do this? Does anyone here do it?

If you do, do you agree that it only takes 30 minutes to get to Epcot from the FW boat dock?

"For EPCOT we also take the boat to the Contemporary and then the monorail to the TTC and onto EPCOT. - we figure 30 minutes +/-."

Not recently :(

I used to do that when I tent camped, but then I was stopping by Food & Fun Center for breakfast every morning, cause back then the Fort had virtually no quick breakfast options.

Now yes, after I left Contemporary, it took about 30 minutes.

Also, one time just for giggles, a friend and myself took a boat to MK, then monorailed to Epcot, then walked through Epcot, then walked to the Studios. (You can get to the Studios from the Fort without getting on a bus :) )

Now yes, after I left Contemporary, it took about 30 minutes.

But not 30 minutes from the boat dock at the Fort.

Also, one time just for giggles, a friend and myself took a boat to MK, then monorailed to Epcot, then walked through Epcot, then walked to the Studios. (You can get to the Studios from the Fort without getting on a bus

Monorailed to Epcot, meaning you monorailed to TTC in order to catch the Epcot monorail?

Is it just the Fort experts on the other board that do this? Does anyone here do it?

If you do, do you agree that it only takes 30 minutes to get to Epcot from the FW boat dock?

"For EPCOT we also take the boat to the Contemporary and then the monorail to the TTC and onto EPCOT. - we figure 30 minutes +/-."

We do this for chuckles once in a while and there's no way it takes only 30 minutes - not even if you hit the boat and both monorails without waiting, and that never happens.

We did it once when we had dinner reservations in World Showcase.  We left ourselves 90 minutes and we still ended up power walking through Future World to get there in time.  I'd guess it took us 15 minutes from the time we left the monorail until we got where we were going so... that still means 75 minutes from the Fort dock to the Epcot gate.

OK folks -- have mercy on a Fort newbi! We've been to WDW many times ever since our first visit in 1972 -- we've stayed at the All-Star resorts for many years now, but this is our first time at the Fort (arrive July 21) -- we've always used the buses at the All-Star resorts; are the buses still your best bet for getting around from the Fort to everything else Disney?

Rad

Despite the fact that the snarky bus driver (aka Lou) will tell you to "stay off the damned buses" they definitely will get you where you need to go.

Whether they're the "best bet" depends on a few things...

- how much time do you have or are you willing to spend to get from place to place?

- will you have a car and if so, do you have a monstrous stroller or an ECV that will be tough to get on a bus?

We don't drive to the parks much when we're at the Fort, but we're not usually in a rush to get anywhere either and don't tend to go when it's super busy.

If we are on something of a schedule, we will sometimes drive - except for MK.  We always take the boat there.

Yes, we park the truck and rarely use it at WDW.

Go from your campsite to the Settlement/Marina to catch a boat to MK, Contemporary, or Wilderness Lodge

Go from your campsite to the Outpost to catch a bus to Epcot, Studios, Animal Kingdom, DTD, Blizzard Beach, or Typhoon Lagoon (although from what I've read, you may have to go to Epcot to get to TL in the afternoons due to construction).

You can also catch a bus to Wilderness Lodge from the Settlement Bus Stop

No stroller, no ECV -- just two old people and their 10 year old Grandson. And we are not usually in too big of a hurry! Thanks Rad

Sounds like you could easily manage the buses to the parks if you want.   :)

For me... I'm on vacation and drove 1400 miles to get there.  Someone else can do the driving until I have to go home.

OK folks -- have mercy on a Fort newbi!

Mercy on a newbie, that's my middle name.

We've been to WDW many times ever since our first visit in 1972 -- we've stayed at the All-Star resorts for many years now

All the resorts use the same bus system, and except during the morning busy period, the differences from resort to resort are insignificant. It's not like each resort has their own buses that just go back and forth all day. So whether it's the All Stars or the Fort, it's the same buses to the attractions.

IE, no matter where you're staying or what attraction you're headed for, if you're taking a WDW bus, you might see me.

If you're ok with the bus situation at the ASR, you'll be ok at the Fort.

My advice is to try to use them when most other people aren't.

Even in the days when we had a TT and a TV, we parked the TV upon arrival and didn't start it again until the day we left the fort.    The only exceptions were to visit my aunt and uncle in Lakeland and to make one grocery store store run (all on the same day).

In our earlier days of camping at the fort, my aunt and uncle came to the fort to visit us ... therefore no reason to start the vehicle while we were there.  But now they are too elderly and can't drive that distance.

On our upcoming trip we'll be at the fort for three weeks.  We plan to rent a vehicle for three days ... one day will be spent going to Lakeland and WalMart.  The other two days are totally unnecessary IMHO, but DH wants to escape from the Disney bubble sometimes and he will have the wheels to go wherever he wants.  If you've read my previous TRs, you'll know that he always has a bad day away from Disney and I always have a great time doing Disney solo.