Transportation things that I didn't know about.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have learned that waiting on Disney transportation beats waiting on your family to get ready to go anywhere while on vacation.

I have an even better approach.  When staying at the Fort, we leave our campsite around 2 hours before we want to hit a park.  We drive offsite to the Hampton Inn on 192, where we help ourselves to th

I think it might be time for this video.   Crank up the volume, make it full screen size, and enjoy!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Seems to be a common question.
Yet another person asking "what would be the best way to get from the back of Fort Wilderness to HS".

There are a lot of stops, and it can be a little confusing. You might do better to take the boat (very close to Trail's End) over to WL and catch a bus there.

What's so confusing? From the Settlement, get on the bus that says "Outpost" and don't get off until it gets there.

Oh and in the time it takes to catch the boat to WL (assuming you get on the one that goes there first and not to the Contemporary first), and then walk through the entire pool area/lobby to the bus stop, and then wait while that bus stops AT THE FORT... you could have been sitting by the bar near the Backlot Tour enjoying a beverage and your 2nd carrot cake cookie.

I think I finally understand what Lou means when he says "stay off the buses" ( correct me if I'm wrong. I know you will).

The buses and all Dosney transportation is a great, free way to get around the World. It's a system created by man and run by man and therefore imperfect.

For most people it works well. For others it doesn't. If it doesn't... Stay off the buses. There other alternatives. I.e. private vehicle or taxis.

According to posted taxi rates it would cost you approx $16 to get from TE to HS. If you use a taxi to get to a park use Mears taxi. All other taxis have to pay the parking fee which means you'll have to pay it. This is what the front desk at Wyndham bonnet creek told me. Can someone confirm this please?

If you use Disney transportation plan on each leg taking you 45 min. If this doesn't work for you. Again stay off of the buses.

That's my 2 cents.

I think I finally understand what Lou means when he says "stay off the buses" ( correct me if I'm wrong. I know you will).

Ok, I will.

The reason I say that is because I don't want to have to defend it.

The complete statement is "if you can't deal with the bus system as it exists, stay of the damn buses".

Ok, I will.

The reason I say that is because I don't want to have to defend it.

The complete statement is "if you can't deal with the bus system as it exists, stay of the damn buses".

I don't think I've read the complete statement before. And I hate to admit it but I agree with you.

According to posted taxi rates it would cost you approx $16 to get from TE to HS. If you use a taxi to get to a park use Mears taxi

FYI, cabs aren't supposed to pick-up or drop-off at TE- they're supposed to pick-up and drop-off at the Outpost.  I've seen cabs use the bus circle at the Settlement, but that brings the wrath of the Rangers.

I don't think you'd have much luck getting a cab to pick you up at the Settlement (which is where TE is).  By the time you ride the bus to the Outpost, you may as well just wait there for a DHS bus.

TCD

We've all had bad experiences with Disney transportation. Heck our last trip it took 1.5 hours to get from AKL to Ohana. It was due to the monorail breakdown.

And since Lou doesn't want to defend it I will. Tell me a vacation that you can take and have that kind of service? I know for my family taking the boat to the MK is part of the fun.

Also there's nothing like getting off the plane and skipping baggage claim or waking out of your resort and getting right on a bus or a boat. And keys not forget about doing a Monirail resort bar crawl.

Imagine Disneyworld with Disney transportation.

Driving to the parks, DTD, etc. parking is $17 and a taxi about the same.

FYI, cabs aren't supposed to pick-up or drop-off at TE- they're supposed to pick-up and drop-off at the Outpost. I've seen cabs use the bus circle at the Settlement, but that brings the wrath of the Rangers.

I don't think you'd have much luck getting a cab to pick you up at the Settlement (which is where TE is). By the time you ride the bus to the Outpost, you may as well just wait there for a DHS bus.

TCD

Thanks I didn't know that. I guess we just got lucky. After HDDR it was raining cats and dogs and there was a taxi there. We took it instead of waiting for the bus.

That SMB that they can't drop you off at your site especially if you had a bunch of groceries.

Thanks I didn't know that. I guess we just got lucky. After HDDR it was raining cats and dogs and there was a taxi there. We took it instead of waiting for the bus.

That SMB that they can't drop you off at your site especially if you had a bunch of groceries.

They may make an exception for after the HDDR.  They also have buses there that will take guests back to their resorts.  That's the only time of day that happens.

As for being dropped off at your site, I'm sure that rule is easily bent.  That's how the cabs end up in the Settlement in the first place.  Once they're past the rent-a-cop in the box, there's nobody to stop them.

TCD

but that brings the wrath of the Rangers.

They're shaking in their boots.

i almost needed an air sick bag. Give me the busses any time.

I see you've never ridden on my bus.

my worst day at FW/WDW has my best day working beat!

Hmm, my brain is having a heck of a time applying that to me.

For some reason people think the internal bus system is some crazy maze of confusion on the scale of the NYC subway system.

I'm still sticking with my opinion that all this wacky advice is being given by people that have never actually stayed at the Fort.

In this case that is true.

Oh and in the time it takes to catch the boat to WL (assuming you get on the one that goes there first and not to the Contemporary first), and then walk through the entire pool area/lobby to the bus stop, and then wait while that bus stops AT THE FORT... you could have been sitting by the bar near the Backlot Tour enjoying a beverage and your 2nd carrot cake cookie.

Details, details, details.

The next response to that post about getting to HS from the Settlement agreed that they should take the boat to the WL, wow.

But the next person said, that same bus will stop at FW afterwards anyway. I bet they'll disregard that one.

...But the next person said, that same bus will stop at FW afterwards anyway. I bet they'll disregard that one.

Most likely.  It seems some people just want to make things more complicated.

You also have to factor in the post count.  People on forums tend to believe that someone will thousands of posts knows more than someone with a couple dozen, without bothering to look and see if those thousands of posts are full of baloney.

Heck, most of mine are...  8)

Seems to be a common question.
Yet another person asking "what would be the best way to get from the back of Fort Wilderness to HS".

There are a lot of stops, and it can be a little confusing. You might do better to take the boat (very close to Trail's End) over to WL and catch a bus there.

What's so confusing? From the Settlement, get on the bus that says "Outpost" and don't get off until it gets there.

To me the back of Fort Wilderness is the Outpost.  The front is the Settlement.  

Am I alone in thinking that way?

To me the back of Fort Wilderness is the Outpost.  The front is the Settlement.  

Am I alone in thinking that way?

Probably not.

I consider the Outpost to be at the front and the Settlement in the back, but I guess it can be the other way around.