50 Years, 9 Nights, 5 Beds and 1 Big Fat Mistake

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I broke my no trip report rule and read this one SO FAR. The picture count better ramp up or I am going back to my rule.   I have had a sun pass for a few yrs and it is great although I usually on

Toll booths SMB. If you don't have Ez pass and are driving to the shore you are crazy. The high speed ez pass lanes are sweet.

Andrew, are you trying to get me to read one of your TR's?       sent from that black box sitting on my desk using my fingers on the typing thingy

I'm not buying it either

:raspberry:

Captains grille. I never would have guessed it.

We stayed at the Yacht Club last year and I didn't remember that told had served breakfast.

I'm not buying the laughing like a duck on purpose. You shouldn't be ashamed that you laugh like a little girl. Lol

We love Yacht/Beach Club. I could spend a week out by the pool.

I love the fact that they have CMs at the gets so none of those freeloaders that use the Fort pool can get in.

We loved YC too.  I'd say we should plan on our families staying there together some day but now that you have Bonnet Creek plus your daughter likes AKL....I'm guessing your next YC stay may be a ways off?

The CM's stationed to keep riff raff out was nice.  They failed by letting us in, but in theory it's good.  

I hope you tried the fries at the pool bar.

They were awesome.

Just you wait....

Food setting on a camera = awesomeness!  There is a design engineering team destined for great things.

I forgot that you can link to youtube videos here, I'll have to consult with rest of the team to see if our videos might be post-worthy!

What do you mean, "might"?  Post them!

I've eaten at the Captain's Grille and before when it was called Yacht Club Galley several times, really like the place. Did ya'll know it is the same kitchen as the Steakhouse. They will do special requests :)

Cool!  I'd be interested in a meal besides breakfast sometime.  The menu looked pretty good.  

We are getting close to the end of this report now.  Probably just a few more updates and I can put it to bed.  But we still have some more pool time, some lunch and drinks at the pool, and a trip to find some dinner....plus more balcony time.  

Sounds exciting, no?  

Ok, so after my trip down the Flying Jib, it was some more relaxing in the water.

DSCN4450.JPG

Someone was looking for tubes in my pictures earlier....here is the lazy river and you can see the tubes.  

DSCN4452.JPG

It was getting on toward lunch time, and there is a counter service spot and full serve bar right at Stormalong Bay, so I just ordered some food and brought it back to our chairs.  (They also have servers roaming around and will serve you at your loungers if you want).  

Here's the bar.  Looks way nicer than the pool counter area at the Fort!

DSCN4453.JPG

In the background of that picture past the bar is where the quick serve restaurant counter is.

I ordered some lunch, and while waiting for it I checked out my surroundings a bit more.

DSCN4454.JPG

This pic shows some of the rockwork supporting the Flying Jib slide.

DSCN4455.JPG

I got the food and headed back to the family.

The kids meals here come in a pail.  

DSCN4451.JPG

DSCN4456.JPG

One of the kids got a chicken sandwich and fries.

DSCN4457.JPG

I don't have a picture of INC's and my lunch.  We shared a Quinoa and Grilled Veggie wrap.  It was so so....not an "order again".  It came with an apple slaw that was also so so.  

Since lunch wasn't very satisfying, by mid-afternoon I was hankering for a snack.  Fries are one of my weaknesses...and they had GOOD fries here as Ray pointed out.

DSCN4458.JPG

Also in that last picture, you might notice a couple of cups.  Pay no attention to those.  That Mai Tai and Pina Colava weren't ours.  They were placed on my tray by mistake.  Honest.   :rofl3:   

Ok, in reality, I have to tell you about the Mai Tai.  I asked the very friendly bartender what her strongest drink was, and she suggested the Mai Tai.  I then watched her make it....she made it with almost pure alcohol!  I saw at least 2 kinds of rum, some other liquor, and a splash of something non-alcoholic.  It had a kick!  And I was feeling it afterward.  

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

While sitting eating the fries, I saw a couple go by that were sitting together on a scooter.  This was a double wide scooter that looked like it was designed for two people!  I'd never seen such a thing.  I tried to snap a picture but it's hard to see....look at the couple sitting with their backs to me in the middle of the picture.

DSCN4460.JPG

I also played around with the zoom on the camera.  Here's a dolphin on top of the Dolphin hotel from the Beach Club....not a bad zoom for a little waterproof camera.

DSCN4461.JPG

Then again, those fish are HUGE, as you can see in this shot panned out a bit.

DSCN4462.JPG

So....what else caught my attention while drinking my Mai Tai?  

This guy was giving himself a shoulder massage.

DSCN4463.JPG

And this guy is striking his best Baywatch pose.   :rofl2:   

DSCN4464.JPG

By the time we had finished the fries and those drinks that were put on our tray by mistake, it was raining.  And it was nearly 4:00, so even though it was just a brief summer shower, we called it an afternoon and went up to the room to shower and get ready for dinner.  While the ladies were taking turns getting cleaned up, I once again spent some enjoyable time on the balcony finishing up a bottle of wine.  (Hey, that's one beauty of WDW....you can take Disney Transportation if you want to drink).  

I'll get to dinner in the next update.....let's play "guess where DIT ate again".  Any guesses on where we had dinner??

Good update! I'll guess Kouzzina for dinner, only because I love that place. I'm sure I'm wrong - I never win things like this!

One thing I love about this installment - you show two pails for the kids meals at SAB and I'm thinking Anna and Stella. But when the next picture loads, who is it that is is enjoying one? Your recent high school grad! :) Love it!

Good update! I'll guess Kouzzina for dinner, only because I love that place. I'm sure I'm wrong - I never win things like this! One thing I love about this installment - you show two pails for the kids meals at SAB and I'm thinking Anna and Stella. But when the next picture loads, who is it that is is enjoying one? Your recent high school grad! :) Love it!

Well....you're wrong on dinner.  Way wrong!  LOL.  

I'm going to guess dinner was someplace other than the boardwalk. Maybe you attempted Downtown Disney, so maybe House of Blues? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm, you are on the right track, sort of.  

I looked at the picture of your fries and could suddenly smell rum.  I might have to have a child mix me a drink this evening.

Isn't the guy getting the shoulder massage in danger of having a falling body land on his head??

I am guessing Earl of Sandwich for dinner, because I am assuming all the other places I am thinking of at DTD are booked solid.

I looked at the picture of your fries and could suddenly smell rum.  I might have to have a child mix me a drink this evening.  That would be a wise decision!  Raising children is a tough job.

Isn't the guy getting the shoulder massage in danger of having a falling body land on his head??  No...those waterfalls were actually awesome for shoulder massages....I tried it myself.

I am guessing Earl of Sandwich for dinner, because I am assuming all the other places I am thinking of at DTD are booked solid.     :bellringer:

Wow.  Crap.  Caught up finally. 

Yacht Club looks like the bees knees.  Good times.

All I keep remebering from your posts from 7/8 thru is the pic with Lou and Anna. 

Don't even need to go back to see it....it's in my mind.

So Marty correctly guessed where we headed to dinner that evening....Earl of Sammich.  

Earl's has one of my favorite menu items in WDW....and one of the cheapest too!  

I love the Holiday Sammich.  And even though I don't eat meat, I was going to make an exception for the turkey and other decadent goodness that is the Holiday Sammich.  

But before we get to that point, we first need to get from the YC to DTD.  Remember, I'd enjoyed that Mai Tai and then polished off some wine on the balcony.  So driving was out of the question, not to mention I wasn't familiar with the parking situation due to the Disney Springs construction, so we opted for the bus.  

We walked down to the YC bus stop and grabbed a bench.  I know sometimes people say they "waited forever" for a bus but in reality they stood there 15 minutes.  But I can tell you, because I checked my watch when we arrived at the bus stop to purposely track it, that we waited for 35 minutes for a bus.  NBD though...we weren't in any hurry.  

Then, when the bus finally arrived, the other group of people waiting there got on first even though they had walked up 10 minutes ago and we'd been there for.....you guessed it.....35 minutes.  

Again, NBD.  Whatever.  

I was the last to board, and this is the scene that awaited me.  

DSCN4465.JPG

Fun!  Do any of those folks look happy?  Nope.  Not very magical.  

I know Lou would say there's plenty of room for 10 more people to join in.  But this driver apparently disagreed, because at the next 2 stops he told folks to wait for the next bus.  Even though, presumably, they'd been waiting a half hour already.  

It's a bit crazy that 5 resorts (Swan, Dolphin, YC, BC and BW) all share one bus.  But I digress.  

So, I'm standing there pushed up tightly against people I've never met.  INC got a seat with Anna on her lap in front of me, but I had strangers behind me.  And I swear that every time we rounded a corner, the woman behind me grabbed me for support.  Plus she kept leaning into me like I was her own personal Robin Thicke or something.  It was very dehumanizing.  I sort of felt like I should buy her dinner afterward.  Or file a police report.  I'm not sure which.  

So after what seemed like an eternity, the cattle train rolled into Marketplace station and we finally got off.  I actually felt a bit queasy, what with the alcohol and then the hot sweaty bus ride through Miley town.  But I sucked it up like any man would do and moved on to get some dinner.  

We walked into Earl's and there was a big line, but I know from experience that it moves pretty quickly here.  And it did.  INC and the little ones went outside to grab a table while the rest of us ordered.  

DSCN4466.JPG

I ordered my Holiday Sammich and the rest of them got assorted sammiches.  Plus, I remembered to use my AAA card to get the discount.  

Here's mine.  

DSCN4468.JPG

My problem is that it tasted pretty processed to me.  I'm not used to it anymore I guess.  It was fine, but I won't be rushing back.  :(  

Here's some other selections.  

DSCN4469.JPG

Kids' Sammich.

DSCN4470.JPG

One beef I have with the place.....we all ordered water to drink.  None of us drink soda, so we'll usually just get water cups at restaurants.  I like a lot of water.  But at Earl's if you want water they give you one of these cups.  

20140621_185846.jpg

That's like one gulp.  

I asked the guy if I could get a bigger cup, but he said that's all they have.  Now, I know if you order a soda you get a big cup.  I understand those cups aren't free....I'd be willing to pay up to 25 cents for the cup.  Maybe they think I was trying to cheat them and was going to get soda with it?  Like I'm out to steal soda from Earl.  So that was disappointing.  I always like Earl's....but I don't think I'll be going back any time soon.  

In any case, between the bus ride and dinner not being so great, we didn't feel like walking around DTD at all.  The kids just wanted to use Stormalong Bay that evening, so we all agreed we'd rather go back to the YC.  Fortunately, the bus ride back was much easier.  

When we got back, the kids wanted ice cream again.  It was the last night of vacation, afterall.  So they had a choice between Beaches and Cream, or one of these.  

20140621_195942.jpg

Stella chose the Mickey bar.  That was her go-to dessert on our Disney cruise 2 years ago.  

20140621_195948.jpg

After getting her Mickey bar at the Stormalong Bay counter serve spot, we noticed a Private event was going on at the Beach Club beach.  

20140621_200035.jpg

I tried to get some pictures of the event, but the Disney security people didn't want me hanging around.  It looked pretty nice though....they had a catered spread and the beach was beautifully decorated with nice dining tables, torches, lights, and such.  This was on June 21....probably before the Luckow's arrived.  

We headed to B&C and the other girls got their treats.  This is the only pic I took.

20140621_201723.jpg

The 4 older girls changed into their swim suits and went to the pool, while INC, Anna and I went for a walk.  We checked out the BC Marketplace, which has their counter service location (besides the one at the pool) and their store.  That counter serve spot looks extremely limited.  But the store had a nice selection of crap accessories for your Magic Bands.

20140621_205201.jpg

We headed back up to the room to get Anna in her jammies and pack up for the long ride home.  I wanted to hit the road around 4:30 or so, so we prepared for that, and then we watched Illuminations from the balcony.  I'll have those pictures coming up in the next update....which will be our last one before we put this report to bed.   

I had heard that the Earl of Sammich was getting tight on the fillings in them also. Did you think the sammiches had less in them? We decided to avoid DTD altogether this trip based on what I heard on podcasts. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say with any certainty, but it did seem like there was very little turkey in my sammich.  More stuffing than anything....and it tasted like Stove Top.  

When we were there last Thanksgiving we thought there was less tuna on the sandwich than before.  If it is even less now, I'm not so sure they are a good deal anymore.

I know.  I hope it was just me...but since others are saying the same thing it's hard to deny.

I'm still having a hard time processing that the King of Pood Forn doesn't eat bacon anymore.

Maybe so, but even before 6 months ago I ate very little bacon.  Wasn't my thing.  I enjoyed high quality, thick bacon now and then...maybe once every 2 months or so.  But I haven't missed it.   

Good job getting all up close and personal with a stranger on the bus.

The treats from B&C look yummy.

I can't believe people are spending money to bling out their million dollar MBs.

Betcha Lou has the R2D2 slider tho.

I'm still having a hard time processing that the King of Pood Forn doesn't eat bacon anymore.

He's not eating warm, ooey, gooey MSB Cinnamon Buns either, anymore.....